PDA

View Full Version : L'Equipe, whither thou?

Kurgan Gringioni
March 31st 07, 09:31 AM
Dumbasses -

They're out to sell papers. If they were concerned about stopping
doping, they wouldn't seek out and publish leak after leak.

From:
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6522565,00.html

Australia demands explanation over Thorpe "leak"
By Julian Linden
MELBOURNE, March 31 (Reuters) - Australian swimming officials have
demanded an explanation about the leaking of an alleged doping
investigation involving retired Olympic champion Ian Thorpe.
Swimming Australia chief executive Glenn Tasker said neither Thorpe
nor the national body had been told about any irregularities until the
claims were published in the French newspaper L'Equipe.
"Somebody has leaked the information and (Thorpe's) privacy has been
grossly invaded," Tasker told a news conference on Saturday.
"We don't know where the leak is... (but) we believe FINA (swimming's
world governing body) have to do something about it. Whether that leak
has come from any (doping) agency I think is very, very poor."
Tasker said Thorpe, who retired last year as one of the most decorated
swimmers in history, had the full backing of Swimming Australia.
"I will support Ian 1,000 percent," Tasker said.
"He is a young man with unbelievably strong principles and integrity."
The Australia Prime Minister John Howard also offered his public
support to Thorpe.
"I don't intend to react to, let alone endorse, unsubstantiated
allegations in a French newspaper," Howard told reporters.
"As far as I'm concerned, until solid evidence of the contrary is
produced, Ian Thorpe remains a great Australian champion."
FINA confirmed on Saturday that it had lodged an appeal with the Court
of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over a doping test conducted by the
Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority but did not name the swimmer
involved.
FINA said there was no evidence of a positive test but there had been
an "adverse analytical result" that it had referred to CAS "with the
aim of clarifying the issues surrounding the case".
The news sent shockwaves around the world championships in Melbourne
with swimmers and coaches speaking out in support of Thorpe.
"I find it astonishing that it's done at this time," Canadian head
coach Pierre Lafontaine told reporters.
"I can only tell you that (Thorpe) has been a great ambassador for
sports all around the world and I would be very surprised (if it were
true)."

Bill C
March 31st 07, 04:18 PM
On Mar 31, 4:31 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:
> Dumbasses -
>
> They're out to sell papers. If they were concerned about stopping
> doping, they wouldn't seek out and publish leak after leak.
>
> From:http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6522565,00.html
>
> Australia demands explanation over Thorpe "leak"
> By Julian Linden
> MELBOURNE, March 31 (Reuters) - Australian swimming officials have
> demanded an explanation about the leaking of an alleged doping
> investigation involving retired Olympic champion Ian Thorpe.
> Swimming Australia chief executive Glenn Tasker said neither Thorpe
> nor the national body had been told about any irregularities until the
> claims were published in the French newspaper L'Equipe.
> "Somebody has leaked the information and (Thorpe's) privacy has been
> grossly invaded," Tasker told a news conference on Saturday.
> "We don't know where the leak is... (but) we believe FINA (swimming's
> world governing body) have to do something about it. Whether that leak
> has come from any (doping) agency I think is very, very poor."
> Tasker said Thorpe, who retired last year as one of the most decorated
> swimmers in history, had the full backing of Swimming Australia.
> "I will support Ian 1,000 percent," Tasker said.
> "He is a young man with unbelievably strong principles and integrity."
> The Australia Prime Minister John Howard also offered his public
> support to Thorpe.
> "I don't intend to react to, let alone endorse, unsubstantiated
> allegations in a French newspaper," Howard told reporters.
> "As far as I'm concerned, until solid evidence of the contrary is
> produced, Ian Thorpe remains a great Australian champion."
> FINA confirmed on Saturday that it had lodged an appeal with the Court
> of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over a doping test conducted by the
> Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority but did not name the swimmer
> involved.
> FINA said there was no evidence of a positive test but there had been
> an "adverse analytical result" that it had referred to CAS "with the
> aim of clarifying the issues surrounding the case".
> The news sent shockwaves around the world championships in Melbourne
> with swimmers and coaches speaking out in support of Thorpe.
> "I find it astonishing that it's done at this time," Canadian head
> coach Pierre Lafontaine told reporters.
> "I can only tell you that (Thorpe) has been a great ambassador for
> sports all around the world and I would be very surprised (if it were
> true)."

First reaction is it's nice to see someone else having to deal with
the BS , we in cycling, have had to deal with. They were all happy to
ignore the questinable, at best behavior, as long as it wasn't them
getting it. Now it's their turn. Maybe this'll wake up some of the
really major sports to put some real heat on Pound, Wada, the IOC, and
the labs, before it becomes their turn.
Not gonna hold my breath though since FIFA got all the names in
Puerto buried. I think Pounds too smart to screw with them much.
Bill C

Davey Crockett
March 31st 07, 05:21 PM
* Donald Munro > a écrit
> Bill C wrote:
>> Not gonna hold my breath though since FIFA got all the names in
>> Puerto buried. I think Pounds too smart to screw with them much.
>
> Can't we persuade Pound to screw with Pakistani cricket match fixers ?

That's a job for the Keystone Kopz

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]

Donald Munro
March 31st 07, 06:24 PM
Bill C wrote:
> Not gonna hold my breath though since FIFA got all the names in
> Puerto buried. I think Pounds too smart to screw with them much.

Can't we persuade Pound to screw with Pakistani cricket match fixers ?

Michael Press
April 1st 07, 03:57 AM
In article
om>,
"Bill C" > wrote:

> On Mar 31, 4:31 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:
> > Dumbasses -
> >
> > They're out to sell papers. If they were concerned about stopping
> > doping, they wouldn't seek out and publish leak after leak.
> >
> > From:http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6522565,00.html
> >
> > Australia demands explanation over Thorpe "leak"
> > By Julian Linden
> > MELBOURNE, March 31 (Reuters) - Australian swimming officials have

[...]

> First reaction is it's nice to see someone else having to deal with
> the BS , we in cycling, have had to deal with. They were all happy to
> ignore the questinable, at best behavior, as long as it wasn't them
> getting it. Now it's their turn. Maybe this'll wake up some of the
> really major sports to put some real heat on Pound, Wada, the IOC, and
> the labs, before it becomes their turn.
> Not gonna hold my breath though since FIFA got all the names in
> Puerto buried. I think Pounds too smart to screw with them much.

I do not think he is smart enough.
I think he will overreach and have his pee-pee whacked.
--
Michael Press

MMan
April 1st 07, 12:07 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Dumbasses -
>
> They're out to sell papers. If they were concerned about stopping
> doping, they wouldn't seek out and publish leak after leak.

???

You mean there are people who *really* think L'Equipe are in a
disinterested pursuit of pure truth (and, presumably, liberté and
egalité
and fraternité, too)?

???

Dumbasses, indeed ...