PDA

View Full Version : OT - music

tower
March 31st 07, 02:03 PM
Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:

www.myspace.com/edgehillave

They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.

I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
us out.
Drew

JD
March 31st 07, 06:41 PM
On Mar 31, 5:03 am, "tower" > wrote:
> Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
> it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
> humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
> created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
> you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:
>
> www.myspace.com/edgehillave
>
> They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.
>
> I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
> thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
> us out.
> Drew

Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.

JD

DP
March 31st 07, 06:58 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 31, 5:03 am, "tower" > wrote:
>> Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
>> it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
>> humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
>> created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
>> you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:
>>
>> www.myspace.com/edgehillave
>>
>> They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.
>>
>> I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
>> thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
>> us out.
>> Drew
>

> Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>
> JD

You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.

G.T.
March 31st 07, 07:10 PM
DP wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> On Mar 31, 5:03 am, "tower" > wrote:
>>> Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
>>> it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
>>> humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
>>> created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
>>> you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:
>>>
>>> www.myspace.com/edgehillave
>>>
>>> They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.
>>>
>>> I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
>>> thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
>>> us out.
>>> Drew
>>
>> Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>>
>> JD
>>

> You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
> posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.

Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

JD
March 31st 07, 07:21 PM
On Mar 31, 9:58 am, "DP" > wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Mar 31, 5:03 am, "tower" > wrote:
> >> Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
> >> it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
> >> humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
> >> created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
> >> you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:
>
> >>www.myspace.com/edgehillave
>
> >> They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.
>
> >> I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
> >> thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
> >> us out.
> >> Drew
>
> > Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>
> > JD
>
> You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
> posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.

You've been such a huge contributor over the years, the fact that you
feel this way makes me want to cry. Not.

JD

tower
March 31st 07, 07:38 PM
On Mar 31, 2:21 pm, "JD" > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:58 am, "DP" > wrote:
>

> > "JD" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>
> > > JD
>
> > You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
> > posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.
>
> You've been such a huge contributor over the years, the fact that you
> feel this way makes me want to cry. Not.
>
> JD- Hide quoted text -

Awww, you're so sweet.

tower
March 31st 07, 07:42 PM
On Mar 31, 2:10 pm, "G.T." > wrote:
> DP wrote:
> > "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>
> >> JD
>
> > You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
> > posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.
>
> Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
> Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

Garth Brooks...now that's one I haven't heard. Not a fan of his but
thanks for the feedback.

G.T.
March 31st 07, 07:50 PM
tower wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2:10 pm, "G.T." > wrote:
>> DP wrote:
>>> "JD" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...
>>> You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
>>> posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I shared.
>> Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
>> Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.
>>

> Garth Brooks...now that's one I haven't heard. Not a fan of his but
> thanks for the feedback.

You don't actually sound like him, the point was of the 4 songs on
myspace they sound pretty Nashville mainstream, except for maybe
Bittersweet.

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

tower
March 31st 07, 08:26 PM

> You don't actually sound like him, the point was of the 4 songs on
> myspace they sound pretty Nashville mainstream, except for maybe
> Bittersweet.
>
> Greg
> --
> The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

Gotcha...when we started this project late last year, there was never
any intention to go one way or another just to go where we felt. I
listen to a lot of Ryan Adams, Big Head Todd, Allmans, some jambands,
some alt.country, huge SRV fan, blues rock. Our live show is more
powerful and less 'mainstream' I think. I like a good song but I love
great musicianship. Hopefully we can find the balance between those.
Bittersweet is about my dawg that was my riding buddy for many, many
years. Moab, CA, Eastern Smokies, southern trails, etc....she saw more
trails than many people on this board. Thanks again for the feedback.
Drew

Zilla
March 31st 07, 09:59 PM
Cool songs, guitar and kb players have good licks, but need to be
recorded better (it's allmidrange); the singer has a full voice, but needs
to sing in tune better. AAMOF, the whole treble spectrum is missing
in the mix, maybe it's just the net.

"tower" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Been hanging out 'round here for many years and find it sad to see how
> it has degraded with all these stupid posts. Anyway, I'd like to
> humbly invite any of you to check out the music my new band has
> created. We recorded a 7 song CD on a low budget in one weekend and
> you can hear some of them at the omnipresent myspace:
>
> www.myspace.com/edgehillave
>
> They're also at garageband and a few other places on the net.
>
> I'm told it's kind of alt.countryish...I'd be curious to hear any
> thoughts. We're in Louisville, KY so if you're in the area come check
> us out.
> Drew

tower
March 31st 07, 10:39 PM
On Mar 31, 4:59 pm, "Zilla" > wrote:
> Cool songs, guitar and kb players have good licks, but need to be
> recorded better (it's allmidrange); the singer has a full voice, but needs
> to sing in tune better. AAMOF, the whole treble spectrum is missing
> in the mix, maybe it's just the net.

Thanks...it may be the net but it's probably also some of the
recording. We were on a tight budget and the studio fit in that low
budget. The guy who mastered the recording mention some of the same
type of stuff. I'm the singer and what's strange is that we didn't
hear the pitch/tone stuff in the mixdown but then did afterwards.
Would love to go back and fix it but that's not in the budget. It's
getting some radio play locally and the goal was to make a recording
that might help us get better gigs and maybe someone to pay for a
better recording. Thanks for the feedback.
Drew

JD
March 31st 07, 11:01 PM
On Mar 31, 11:26 am, "tower" > wrote:
> she saw more
> trails than many people on this board.

That's not saying much, especially considering what you see as the
degradation of this "newsgroup".

JD

Zilla
April 1st 07, 12:28 AM
"tower" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 31, 4:59 pm, "Zilla" > wrote:
> > Cool songs, guitar and kb players have good licks, but need to be
> > recorded better (it's allmidrange); the singer has a full voice, but
needs
> > to sing in tune better. AAMOF, the whole treble spectrum is missing
> > in the mix, maybe it's just the net.
> >

> Thanks...it may be the net but it's probably also some of the
> recording. We were on a tight budget and the studio fit in that low
> budget. The guy who mastered the recording mention some of the same
> type of stuff. I'm the singer and what's strange is that we didn't
> hear the pitch/tone stuff in the mixdown but then did afterwards.
> Would love to go back and fix it but that's not in the budget. It's
> getting some radio play locally and the goal was to make a recording
> that might help us get better gigs and maybe someone to pay for a
> better recording. Thanks for the feedback.
> Drew

I don't know how much studios charge nowadays, but for around $2-3k
one can get a decent home studio PC-based recording setup; mics are the
key and decent ones will push it toward the $3k range.
get decent ones

tower
April 1st 07, 01:36 AM
On Mar 31, 7:28 pm, "Zilla" > wrote:
> "tower" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Mar 31, 4:59 pm, "Zilla" > wrote:
> > > Cool songs, guitar and kb players have good licks, but need to be
> > > recorded better (it's allmidrange); the singer has a full voice, but
> needs
> > > to sing in tune better. AAMOF, the whole treble spectrum is missing
> > > in the mix, maybe it's just the net.
>
> > Thanks...it may be the net but it's probably also some of the
> > recording. We were on a tight budget and the studio fit in that low
> > budget. The guy who mastered the recording mention some of the same
> > type of stuff. I'm the singer and what's strange is that we didn't
> > hear the pitch/tone stuff in the mixdown but then did afterwards.
> > Would love to go back and fix it but that's not in the budget. It's
> > getting some radio play locally and the goal was to make a recording
> > that might help us get better gigs and maybe someone to pay for a
> > better recording. Thanks for the feedback.
> > Drew
>
> I don't know how much studios charge nowadays, but for around $2-3k
> one can get a decent home studio PC-based recording setup; mics are the
> key and decent ones will push it toward the $3k range.
> get decent ones- Hide quoted text -

This guy charges $25/hour which is very low. You're right on about the
mics, he has some good ones but the overall sonic quality of his
place, equipment, and expertise are good but not great. It shows in
the recording. On top of that, the shortness of time meant we did very
little in the way of overdubs, etc. We spent about $500 on the entire
recording.
Drew

tower
April 1st 07, 01:41 AM
On Mar 31, 6:01 pm, "JD" > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:26 am, "tower" > wrote:
>
> > she saw more
> > trails than many people on this board.
>
> That's not saying much, especially considering what you see as the
> degradation of this "newsgroup".
>
> JD

Just making the point that she and I rode many trails in many
locations and she meant a lot to me, not put anyone down...of course
I'm not the expert you are...but few are.
Drew

Scott G
April 1st 07, 01:54 AM
> Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
> Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.

....or maybe somewhere between Creed and John Denver.

▀Slack⌂
April 1st 07, 02:29 AM
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:54:30 -0700, Scott G > wrote:

>> Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
>> Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.
>>

> ...or maybe somewhere between Creed and John Denver.

That's just wrong!
--
Slack

tower
April 1st 07, 02:50 AM
On Mar 31, 8:54 pm, "Scott G" > wrote:
> > Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
> > Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.
>
> ...or maybe somewhere between Creed and John Denver.

That's exactly what we were going for!

G.T.
April 1st 07, 06:42 AM
tower wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:28 pm, "Zilla" > wrote:
>> "tower" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> needs
>>> Thanks...it may be the net but it's probably also some of the
>>> recording. We were on a tight budget and the studio fit in that low
>>> budget. The guy who mastered the recording mention some of the same
>>> type of stuff. I'm the singer and what's strange is that we didn't
>>> hear the pitch/tone stuff in the mixdown but then did afterwards.
>>> Would love to go back and fix it but that's not in the budget. It's
>>> getting some radio play locally and the goal was to make a recording
>>> that might help us get better gigs and maybe someone to pay for a
>>> better recording. Thanks for the feedback.
>>> Drew
>> I don't know how much studios charge nowadays, but for around $2-3k
>> one can get a decent home studio PC-based recording setup; mics are the
>> key and decent ones will push it toward the $3k range.
>> get decent ones- Hide quoted text -

> This guy charges $25/hour which is very low. You're right on about the
> mics, he has some good ones but the overall sonic quality of his
> place, equipment, and expertise are good but not great. It shows in
> the recording. On top of that, the shortness of time meant we did very
> little in the way of overdubs, etc. We spent about $500 on the entire
> recording.

It sounds just fine at that budget. Who did the cover art?

Greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

DP
April 1st 07, 02:07 PM

> It sounds just fine at that budget. Who did the cover art?
>
> Greg
> --

Thanks...I teach high school and one of my students did the cover art. You
like?

G.T.
April 1st 07, 06:03 PM
DP wrote:
>> It sounds just fine at that budget. Who did the cover art?
>>
>> Greg
>> --
>
> Thanks...I teach high school and one of my students did the cover art. You
> like?

Yep.

greg
--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

tower
April 2nd 07, 12:46 AM
On Apr 1, 1:03 pm, "G.T." > wrote:
> DP wrote:
> >> It sounds just fine at that budget. Who did the cover art?
>
> >> Greg
> >> --
>
> > Thanks...I teach high school and one of my students did the cover art. You
> > like?
>
> Yep.
>
> greg
> --
> The ticket******* Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

Cool, I'll let her know.

cc
April 2nd 07, 08:06 PM
tower wrote:
> On Mar 31, 8:54 pm, "Scott G" > wrote:
>>> Actually what I've heard so far is pretty cool. It sounds more Garth
>>> Brooks to me than Ryan Adams, though.
>> ...or maybe somewhere between Creed and John Denver.
>
> That's exactly what we were going for!

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

tower
April 3rd 07, 01:18 AM
On Apr 2, 3:06 pm, cc > wrote:
> tower wrote:
> >> ...or maybe somewhere between Creed and John Denver.
>
> > That's exactly what we were going for!
>
> I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Oh, come on...a little sunshine on your shoulder? Mtbr territory for
sure...I do have to say though I think I'd rather be more John Denver
than Creed. They never really tripped my trigger. Anyone a Big Head
Todd & the Monsters fan? Now there's a great band straight from the
mountains of CO!
Drew

Ride-A-Lot
April 3rd 07, 02:05 AM
tower wrote:
> Oh, come on...a little sunshine on your shoulder? Mtbr territory for
> sure...I do have to say though I think I'd rather be more John Denver
> than Creed. They never really tripped my trigger. Anyone a Big Head
> Todd & the Monsters fan? Now there's a great band straight from the
> mountains of CO!
> Drew

I sing Broken Hearted Savior With the band.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

MattB
April 3rd 07, 04:15 AM
tower wrote:
> On Apr 2, 3:06 pm, cc > wrote:
>
>>tower wrote:

>>>That's exactly what we were going for!
>>
>>I just threw up in my mouth a little.
>

> Oh, come on...a little sunshine on your shoulder? Mtbr territory for
> sure...I do have to say though I think I'd rather be more John Denver
> than Creed. They never really tripped my trigger. Anyone a Big Head
> Todd & the Monsters fan? Now there's a great band straight from the
> mountains of CO!
> Drew

They played in a field for Springfest my freshman year in college. I got
in with my brother's id. It was awesome. :)

Matt

David W
April 3rd 07, 05:41 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 31, 11:26 am, "tower" > wrote:
>> she saw more
>> trails than many people on this board.
>

> That's not saying much, especially considering what you see as the
> degradation of this "newsgroup".
>
> JD

dude, you've made youre customary slam...now go the **** on!!

David W
April 3rd 07, 05:47 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 31, 9:58 am, "DP" > wrote:
>> "JD" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > Thanks for degrading it more with your crappy band.
>>
>> > JD
>>
>> You are certainly welcome, I figure I couldn't do worse than your crappy
>> posts...but then I expected this kind of response from you. Glad I
>> shared.
>

> You've been such a huge contributor over the years, the fact that you
> feel this way makes me want to cry. Not.
>
> JD

soory dude, it appears the diciples have left you hangin on this one.....

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home