PDA

View Full Version : Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster.

Peter
August 11th 03, 05:04 AM
I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
this the proper way to set up the drive train? Also I noticed today
that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. Thanks in advance as
always.

Nick Payne
August 11th 03, 09:21 AM
According to Barnett's Manual you've done it right. See
http://rideitbent.net/pdf/barnetts_ch27.pdf.

However, for a touring bike I view the smallest chainring as something to be
used only with the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the rear, and align the two larger
chainrings as if they were a double, with the midpoint between the two large
chainrings centred on the cassette.

Nick

"Peter" > wrote in message
om...
> I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
> positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
> alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
> this the proper way to set up the drive train? Also I noticed today
> that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
> cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. Thanks in advance as
> always.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 11th 03, 01:38 PM
Peter-<< I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
this the proper way to set up the drive train? >><BR><BR>

That is correct...

<< Also I noticed today
that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. >><BR><BR>

Chain 'tickling' big ring??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 11th 03, 01:41 PM
someone-<< However, for a touring bike I view the smallest chainring as
something to be
used only with the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the rear, and align the two larger
chainrings as if they were a double, with the midpoint between the two large
chainrings centred on the cassette. >><BR><BR>

Don't agree..,I think on any triple, you ought to align the middle ring with
the middle of the cogset to allow use of the middle ring with all the cogs. If
you align the middle of the cogset with mid point between the big and middle,
middle/smallest cog use may be limited.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.