PDA

View Full Version : Re: How to walk safely in clipless road shoes

Mike Jacoubowsky
August 11th 03, 09:19 AM
> i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone
> make something similar for look cleats???

They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.
Regarding the original poster's idea, I was going to bring along some Nike
Aqua Socks to France with me, since they're extremely light weight and allow
you to walk around without wrecking your shoes. Unfortunately, I left them
at home, and four hours up on the Tourmalet, walking around on Speedplay
cleats, was a bit less than ideal for my shoes...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"eric paul zamora" > wrote in message
> yet, i personally find it a great idea. something i wish i had thought
> about long ago. i use a timbuk2 messenger bag for commuting and the space
it
> allows could easily accomodate a set of sandals for taking the stairs at
> work. just another option....
>
> no disrespect to jobst at all.
>
> i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone
> make something similar for look cleats???
>

> eric
>
> fresno, ca.

> > Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
> > Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:19:51 GMT
> > Subject: Re: How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
> >
> > Peter Prekow writes:
> >
> >> I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard
> >> of the protruding cleat found on many clipless road shoes especially
> >> when walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem and
> >> also to allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store
> >> etcetera I come across when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of
> >> light-weight sandals with a strap around the ankle and another strap
> >> over the foot behind the toes.
> >
> > Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. The SH-TO92 shoe:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/a822
> >
> > What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.
> >
> > Jobst Brandt
> >
> > Palo Alto CA

Paul Kopit
August 11th 03, 01:23 PM
I sell a Look, black, style "Anti Skip" cleat. The square slots hold
a soft rubber pad, "IRC Inner Rubber Cleat". The pads compress when
you are clip in but grip the street when you walk. The pads are
replaceable and also cut down on the wear of the nose of the cleat.
It is a new design that is made in Italy.

$23/pr., shipped, with hardware. Additional pairs in same shipment
$20.

Paul Kopit
August 11th 03, 02:19 PM
I sell a Look, black, style "Anti Skip" cleat. The square slots hold
a soft rubber pad, "IRC Inner Rubber Cleat". The pads compress when
you are clip in but grip the street when you walk. The pads are
replaceable and also cut down on the wear of the nose of the cleat.
It is a new design that is made in Italy.

$23/pr., shipped, with hardware. Additional pairs in same shipment
$20.

I just checked and the cleat is available in red with rotation as
well. I don't have that model in stock at this moment but it is
available in a couple of days.

Ken
August 11th 03, 04:32 PM
"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in
:
> They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.

There are a bunch of different companies selling Look cleat covers for
walking. My favorite are made from a thin hard plastic, instead of soft
rubber. The thin ones are very compact, taking up little space in your
pocket when you're on the bike. Sorry, I don't remember the brand name right
now.

F1
August 11th 03, 05:42 PM
> wrote in message
> Mike Yankee writes:
>
> >>How to walk safely in clipless road shoes
>
> > Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of that
> > automotive V-belt material you often see along the roadside when
> > riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue them to the
> > sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed about 1 cm
> > inboard and outboard of the SPD cleat). This keeps the cleat off
> > the ground as you walk, provides good traction and doesn't interfere
> > with the pedals. It also wears better than the SPD "outriggers"
> > that come with cleats, and the similar raised areas on Carnac SPD
> > adapters.
>
> That is trying to make SH-TO92 shoes crudely. Just get the right shoes.
> http://tinyurl.com/a822
>
> Jobst Brandt
>
> Palo Alto CA

It might be crude, but it is certainly much cheaper than buying a whole new
pair of shoes and could serve the same purpose.

August 11th 03, 06:54 PM
Ben Formula writes:

>>> Here's a cheap, effective fix for SPD users. Take home some of
>>> that automotive V-belt material you often see along the roadside
>>> when riding. For each shoe, cut two pieces 4 cm long and glue them
>>> to the sole using contact cement (oriented lengthwise and placed
>>> about 1 cm inboard and outboard of the SPD cleat). This keeps the
>>> cleat off the ground as you walk, provides good traction and
>>> doesn't interfere with the pedals. It also wears better than the
>>> SPD "outriggers" that come with cleats, and the similar raised
>>> areas on Carnac SPD adapters.

>> That is trying to make SH-TO92 shoes crudely. Just get the right
>> shoes. http://tinyurl.com/a822

> It might be crude, but it is certainly much cheaper than buying a
> whole new pair of shoes and could serve the same purpose.

Just because the wrong shoe was mistakenly bought does not mean you
have to live with them ever after. The suggestion of the SH-TO92 is
offered for those who have not yet bought shoes with slick bottoms
with a tiny insert of rubber at the toe and heel and use Look cleats.

Jobst Brandt

Palo Alto CA

August 11th 03, 07:06 PM
Peter > wrote:
> I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of
> the protruding cleat found on many clipless road shoes especially when
> walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem and also to
> allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come
> across when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight
> sandals with a strap around the ankle and another strap over the foot
> behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into the
> sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight
> impression in the inside sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals
> and using a razor knife with the blade locked carefully cut out the
> cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove
> the sandals from my cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on
> over my cycling shoes so that the cleat slips into the cutout area and
> snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great traction even
> on wet floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a
> fair distance in them if need be. They are nearly as good as a pair of
> shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I hope this idea will be of
> use to some of you also.

Shoe Goo can help give road shoes some traction. Just smear a little
bit of in on the parts of the shoe that can come in contact the ground.
This method works well with Speedplay X series of cleats. For look cleats,
make sure you put the shoe goo in a place that won't interfere with the
cleat interface. If you climb stairs, put a layer of shoe goo on the sole
of the show around the arches of the foot and in the toe area to prevent
slippage on the edges of the shair should you misstep.
--
Eric

Bill Davidson
August 11th 03, 09:12 PM
Robin Hubert wrote:
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message ...
>>>i recently saw small black SPD covers at my local bike shop. does anyone
>>>make something similar for look cleats???
>>
>>They're called "Kool Kovers" and readily available at most better shops.
>
> Kool Stop makes covers for SPD cleats?

I think you read it wrong. Someone said they saw covers for SPD cleats
and asked if there was something similar for Look cleats and Mike
pointed out the Kool Kovers. Nobody said the SPD covers were Kool
Kovers.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

ant
August 12th 03, 03:22 AM
wrote in message >...

> Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats>
> What you propose is cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.

if you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair of mountain
shoes? for the life of me, nothing beats 'em for walking around.
unless you are professional, i cant imagine they'd be holding you back
any, and even then not much.

i use mtn shoes with spd cleats. i wear them every day, and two or
three times a week i wear them all day. you have to walk just a little
bit funny because the soles are stiff (good for cycling, bad for
walking) but its not that different than normal shoes. and i cant
imagine itd be any less comfortable than tri shoes, covered cleats,
etc.

maybe im missing something.
cheers,

anthony

August 12th 03, 04:05 AM
Anthony Anagnostou writes:

>> Use Tri-shoes with SPD (recessed) cleats. What you propose is
>> cumbersome and requires carrying extra footwear.

> If you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair of
> mountain shoes? for the life of me, nothing beats 'em for walking
> around. unless you are professional, I can't imagine they'd be
> holding you back any, and even then not much.

I take it you didn't look at the TO92. These shoes are to mountain
shoes what oxfords are to hiking boots. I am not one to walk in boots
when I can use simple rubber soled shoes. I too use these to walk
around all day at work after riding to work. That's why I have them.
Besides, I didn't discover these advantages on the spur of the moment
underway so that I needed to buy sandals. These are a considered
purchase.

> I use MTN shoes with SPD cleats. I wear them every day, and two or
> three times a week I wear them all day. You have to walk just a
> little bit funny because the soles are stiff (good for cycling, bad
> for walking) but its not that different than normal shoes. I can't
> imagine it'd be any less comfortable than tri shoes, covered cleats,
> etc.

I guess you wear big brogans all the time or you wouldn't feel
comfortable in the MTB shoes all day. Besides, most of these are
waffle stompers that bring all sorts of debris into the office when
it's wet.

> Maybe I'm missing something.

I think so.

Jobst Brandt

Palo Alto CA

John Albergo
August 12th 03, 05:09 AM
Peter wrote:

>I've read a number of posts where people have mentioned the hazard of
>the protruding cleat found on many clipless road shoes especially when
>walking on stairs or tiled surfaces. To solve this problem and also to
>allow me to walk about (if I want to explore a store etcetera I come
>across when riding) I bought an inexpensive pair of light-weight
>sandals with a strap around the ankle and another strap over the foot
>behind the toes. I put on my cycling shoes and slipped them into the
>sandals and walked around until the cleat (Look/Shimano) made a slight
>impression in the inside sole of the sandals. I removed the sandals
>and using a razor knife with the blade locked carefully cut out the
>cleat imprint. Now if I need or want to walk around I simply remove
>the sandals from my cycling jersey (middle pocket) and slip them on
>over my cycling shoes so that the cleat slips into the cutout area and
>snug up the straps. They provide level footing and great traction even
>on wet floors and are easily put on or taken off. Plus I can walk a
>fair distance in them if need be. They are nearly as good as a pair of
>shoes but without the bulk or the weight. I hope this idea will be of
>use to some of you also.

For casual walking when off the bike, get a shoe that has enough 'soul'
so that the cleat doesn't contact the ground. For commuting situation I
just keep a pair of shoes at work.

I cannot understand why so many spd shoes are made to allow the cleat to
scrape the ground. All that is needed is a small amount of tread to
prevent this. What is the advantage to NOT having this material on the
shoe? Is this all in the interest of a few grams of weight? Or is it
catering to the notion that a "serious" bike shoe must be impractical?

Bruce Hollebone
August 12th 03, 03:14 PM
On 11 Aug 2003, Jobst Brandt wrote:

> Anthony Anagnostou writes:
>
>> If you're going to consider SPDs, why not get a nice pair
>> of mountain shoes? for the life of me, nothing beats 'em
>> for walking around. unless you are professional, I can't
>> imagine they'd be holding you back any, and even then not
>> much.
>
> I take it you didn't look at the TO92....

Shimano makes nice shoes, no question. They make narrow shoes,
however, such that even a fairly modest D width foot is
uncomfortable in them. For those of us with broader feet, Sidi
makes an excellent alternative in their so-called Mega width.
The Sidi Mega Dominator, despite its name, is a mostly black,
very comfortable shoe with a nice tread. The only difference
between the Dominator "mountain" shoe and its sister "Genius"
shoe is the sole and tread. A very nice touring shoe.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Apparel/1600.lasso

(Despite the copy, the shoes fit men just fine too).

Kind Regards,
Bruce.

Rick Onanian
August 12th 03, 11:55 PM
On 11 Aug 2003 19:13:38 -0700, Peter > wrote:
> to implement and, 3 was inexpensive. The sandals I purchased cost less
> than $10. They easily fit into my jersey pocket and are not bulky. In

I had thought to mention, but did not post, that your
idea is a good one; and an idea along similar lines,
which I've done, is to carry such sandals, and just
remove the cycling shoes to put on the sandals.

This has the added benefit of allowing your feet to
cool off and breathe. Of course, then you have to
deal with carrying around cycling shoes.

I saw somebody today in a sandwich shop who obviously
came in a car (obvious by the keys she was holding,
and the way she was holding them, and the lack of
helmet hair or sweat on a hot day), but was wearing
Diadora shoes that sure looked like cycling shoes,
right down to the velcro. I should have asked...

--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian
August 13th 03, 12:26 AM
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:09:06 GMT, John Albergo > wrote:
> I cannot understand why so many spd shoes are made to allow the cleat to
> scrape the ground. All that is needed is a small amount of tread to
> prevent this. What is the advantage to NOT having this material on the
> shoe? Is this all in the interest of a few grams of weight? Or is it
> catering to the notion that a "serious" bike shoe must be impractical?

Maybe it's an elitist aero concern.

How about SPD-R? I was unable to find SPD-R shoes that
recess the cleat, because, supposedly, the cleat is too
big and such.

I ended up cutting blocks of rubber from some spare
sandals and using rubber cement to adhere them to my
shoes. It worked well, and rather than interfering
with pedal engagement, quite assisted in lining me up.

The rubber cement bond was not strong enough to the
plastic sole of the shoe, and the blocks came off.
They worked nicely for riding and walking while they
were on. I have since replaced the SPD-Rs with SPDs,
and the smaller cleat seems easier to walk on, but I
may yet try the same experiment, replacing rubber
cement with epoxy.

--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian
August 13th 03, 12:48 PM
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:05:46 -0500, Tim McNamara >
wrote:
> Ditto shoes: aggressive tread (even though it's useless when you're
> riding a bike), garish colors, ratchet devices to offer a fraction of the

Ever find a hill so steep that your MTB can't dig
in for enough traction?

The only way up is with a whole lot of traction from
aggressive tread on the shoes.

This doesn't apply, obviously, to road and touring.

--
Rick Onanian

August 13th 03, 01:34 PM
I'm on board with the Shoo-Goo idea. I coated the bottom of my Speedplay
cleats, and the toe and heel areas of my shoes before a week-long tour
that involved a lot of walking. Worked like a charm.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home