PDA

View Full Version : Re: Old bike and a rider who hasn't ridden in a while

Garrison Hilliard
August 12th 03, 03:05 AM
> From: (Laura)
>
>I have a rusty Huffy mountain bike with dual suspension that I would
>like to start riding again. The poor bike has spent more time sitting
>around than being ridden. I know it needs a tune-up and probably a
>major over-haul but I don't have the money for that kind of work. If
>possible, I would like to fix it up myself and get it working again on
>my own.
>
>I know that the rear brake cable needs replacing and probably the rear
>brake apparatus as well. The tires are still in good condition. The
>gears are all rusty. The chain tends to slip when I shift the front
>gears (where the pedals are). If there is a way to fix it, I'd love
>to hear it.
>
>What I'm looking for is for some advice and places to look for help.
>Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

Steve Juniper
August 12th 03, 04:26 PM
Sounds like it might have been more neglected than ridden. Clean it, oil it
and see how it works. If it doesn't work, take it to your local bike shop
and ask them to adjust it while you watch and ask them what else might be
inportant to attend to. Then get a copy of 'Zinn and the Art of Mountain
Bike Maintenance.' Basic bike maintenance is pretty easy.
--

Steve Juniper )

"Invading Iraq to get rid of Saddam Hussein was like throwing a hand grenade
into a crowded schoolyard to get rid of a bully."

"David Kunz" > wrote in message
link.net...
Garrison Hilliard wrote:
>> From: (Laura)
>>
>>I have a rusty Huffy mountain bike with dual suspension that I would
>>like to start riding again. The poor bike has spent more time sitting
>>around than being ridden. I know it needs a tune-up and probably a
>>major over-haul but I don't have the money for that kind of work. If
>>possible, I would like to fix it up myself and get it working again on
>>my own.
>>
>>I know that the rear brake cable needs replacing and probably the rear
>>brake apparatus as well. The tires are still in good condition. The
>>gears are all rusty. The chain tends to slip when I shift the front
>>gears (where the pedals are). If there is a way to fix it, I'd love
>>to hear it.
>>
>>What I'm looking for is for some advice and places to look for help.
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com

and,
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/index.shtml