PDA

View Full Version : Re: shimano wheelset with campy 10 drivetrain

Paul Southworth
August 12th 03, 05:51 PM
In article >,
Brad Keeter > wrote:
>I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
>speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

It's really easy - lighten your wallet, buy a conversion cassette.
The one from American Classic is a little cheaper than the one from
Wheels Mfg. Wheels offers a 12-27 and I believe American Classic
does not. Use a 10-speed chain. I am happy with the Wipperman
nickel chain (cost $30) and would not waste the money on stainless
(at least not in my riding conditions). Most bike shops should be
able to order this stuff for you. Excel Sports also carries that
chain and both brands of conversion cassette.

--Paul

Nigel Grinter
August 12th 03, 09:29 PM
"Brad Keeter" > wrote in message >...
> I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
> speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

There are a number of conversion cassettes available from different
manufacturers, American Classic for one.

Best wishes,

Nigel Grinter

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
August 12th 03, 10:05 PM
Wait untill Shimano comes out with their own 10 rear. Then you can pick
and choose.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Jeff Wills
August 13th 03, 05:20 AM
(Nigel Grinter) wrote in message >...
> "Brad Keeter" > wrote in message >...
> > I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
> > speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks
>
> There are a number of conversion cassettes available from different
> manufacturers, American Classic for one.

I was going to suggest Wheels Mfg., but they specifically say the
Shimano wheels are not compatible:
http://wheelsmfg.com/technology.html#accel10

Jeff

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 13th 03, 01:43 PM
brad-<< I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. >><BR><BR>

My experience is that the Wheels Manufacturing 'Accelerator' cogset works the
best...In about 3 months, you can use a DA 10s cogset and chain but they are
gonna be pricey..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 13th 03, 01:44 PM
Paul-<< The one from American Classic is a little cheaper than the one from
Wheels Mfg. Wheels offers a 12-27 and I believe American Classic
does not. >><BR><BR>

Wheels ones all start with an 11t...

<< Excel Sports also carries that
chain and both brands of conversion cassette. >><BR><BR>

As do many bike shops, like us....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 13th 03, 01:45 PM
porter-<< You could use a Mavic M10 cassette. >><BR><BR>

shimano freehub isn't tall enough for all 10 cogs tho..can get only 9 of the 10
on there.. Mavic freehubs are taller...

<< I guess another option is to modify your levers back to 9sp but my guess is
that you don't want to do that! ;-) >><BR><BR>

You can use Campagnolo 10s shifters with a shimano 9s casette...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Justin Seiferth
August 13th 03, 02:01 PM
You can do a search for my name (seiferth) and "hubbub" or "ultegra"
and you'll see my tale. It's a happy one. You can run a 9spd shimano
drivetrain or just use a shimano 9 cassette with your campy 10
drivetrain. Either ways works great. If latter just set upper
lockscrew so you don't run the chain into your spokes on gear "10". I
have no shifting problems whatever with a Centaur 10 rder, Ultegra
triple front, 9spd 105 13-25 cassette, Ultegra triple chainring,
Record 10 Ergo and SRAM pc-59 chain. Can it get more diverse? I do
have to keep the chain very clean or shifting becomes less than crisp
but no problem with speed or precision. Far better than Ultegra or
Tiara triple on friend's bikes esp up front. I have a second set of
wheels with a 12-25 American Classics cassette I got from Alfred E
Bikes for about $65. I aim to try this soon as the 105 cassette wears
out which it gives no sign of doing.

"Brad Keeter" > wrote in message >...
> I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
> speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

Paul Kopit
August 13th 03, 02:10 PM
If your bicycle is already adjusted properly for a 10 sp Campy
cassette, increase the tension by backing out the adjustment screw 1½
turns and turn the stop for the big ring in one turn clockwise. Go
ride your 9sp Shimano wheel.

I'd recommend a Shimano HG 9 chain if you are going to run 9 and 10
speed cassettes. If you are going to run 9sp only, the Sram 59 chain
works very well.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:20:02 -0700, "Brad Keeter"
> wrote:

>I am looking for advice on running my shimano wheelset with my campy 10
>speed drivetrain. What is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

Voltaire
August 20th 03, 11:08 PM
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" > wrote in message
> porter-<< You could use a Mavic M10 cassette. >><BR><BR>
>
> shimano freehub isn't tall enough for all 10 cogs tho..can get only 9 of
the 10
> on there.. Mavic freehubs are taller...
>
> << I guess another option is to modify your levers back to 9sp but my
guess is
> that you don't want to do that! ;-) >><BR><BR>
>

> You can use Campagnolo 10s shifters with a shimano 9s casette...

But does this mean you must use a Campagnolo rear derailleur also or will
the Campy 10s shifter work with my Dura Ace 9s rear der. and 9s cassette?

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 21st 03, 01:57 PM
Vol-<< But does this mean you must use a Campagnolo rear derailleur also or
will
the Campy 10s shifter work with my Dura Ace 9s rear der. and 9s cassette?
>><BR><BR>

Yes it does, must use a Campagnolo rear der with Campagnolo ERGO, and the 10s
ERGO is compatible with shimano 9s cogsets and chain.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Voltaire
August 21st 03, 05:37 PM
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" > wrote in message
> Vol-<< But does this mean you must use a Campagnolo rear derailleur also
or
> will
> the Campy 10s shifter work with my Dura Ace 9s rear der. and 9s cassette?
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Yes it does, must use a Campagnolo rear der with Campagnolo ERGO, and the
10s
> ERGO is compatible with shimano 9s cogsets and chain.

Ah. That is very interesting. I've been interested in switching to Campy
shifters for a while because I've read that they are much smoother than
Shimano and can be repaired, if needed. I have several bikes (and extra
wheelsets) and would like to keep them compatible via the Shimano 9s
cassettes, even though they have different shifters and derailleurs.

Vol

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home