PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for extending battery life on Garmin Edge 305 for a double century

Brad Ford
April 12th 07, 05:04 AM
I'm preparing to ride a very hilly double (over 20,000 ft of
climbing), so I'm expecting it to be a long day in the saddle. 12+
hours. My Garmin Edge only gets 6+ hours. It has a little usb port
on it through which it can recharge. Does anyone know of any
lightweight solution to plug it into while on the latter 6 hours of
the slog? I'm thinking something small enough to fit in a Bento box
with a cord plugging into the garmin, which is on my stem. Please let
me know if you've seen any products that would fit the profile.

thx.

joe
April 12th 07, 05:33 AM
Brad Ford wrote:

> I'm preparing to ride a very hilly double (over 20,000 ft of
> climbing), so I'm expecting it to be a long day in the saddle. 12+
> hours. My Garmin Edge only gets 6+ hours. It has a little usb port
> on it through which it can recharge. Does anyone know of any
> lightweight solution to plug it into while on the latter 6 hours of
> the slog? I'm thinking something small enough to fit in a Bento box
> with a cord plugging into the garmin, which is on my stem. Please let
> me know if you've seen any products that would fit the profile.
>
> thx.
I bought an Eveready phone charger that uses two AA batteries and has a
mini-usb connector on the cable. It seems to charge the Garmin just fine.

I bought mine at Lowe's, but it available online. For example, see

http://www.greenlightoffice.com/product/displayproduct.aspx?sku=EVECEL2MUSB

Garry Lee
April 12th 07, 07:09 AM
The least of my worries if I were doing a double century (I did once)
would be GPS. Food is what you'll need my boy.

April 12th 07, 09:37 PM
On Apr 11, 9:04 pm, "Brad Ford" > wrote:
> I'm preparing to ride a very hilly double (over 20,000 ft of
> climbing), so I'm expecting it to be a long day in the saddle. 12+
> hours. My Garmin Edge only gets 6+ hours. It has a little usb port
> on it through which it can recharge. Does anyone know of any
> lightweight solution to plug it into while on the latter 6 hours of
> the slog? I'm thinking something small enough to fit in a Bento box
> with a cord plugging into the garmin, which is on my stem. Please let
> me know if you've seen any products that would fit the profile.
>
> thx.

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/12/usbcell_aa_batt.html

Roger Sacilotto
April 13th 07, 01:39 AM
"Brad Ford" > wrote in news:1176350691.086450.266620
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> I'm preparing to ride a very hilly double (over 20,000 ft of
> climbing), so I'm expecting it to be a long day in the saddle. 12+
> hours. My Garmin Edge only gets 6+ hours. It has a little usb port
> on it through which it can recharge. Does anyone know of any
> lightweight solution to plug it into while on the latter 6 hours of
> the slog? I'm thinking something small enough to fit in a Bento box
> with a cord plugging into the garmin, which is on my stem. Please let
> me know if you've seen any products that would fit the profile.
>
> thx.

I built the minty boost kit, works great, I've used it when I forgot to
recharge.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost

Roger

Google