PDA

View Full Version : dull

Andre
April 16th 07, 12:23 AM
I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

Andre

RonSonic
April 16th 07, 01:38 AM
On 15 Apr 2007 16:23:36 -0700, "Andre" > wrote:

>I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
>down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
>second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
>violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
>Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

Who were the douchebags who didn't take their mechanical problems off the road
and caused a pile-up?

Ron

Tom Grosman
April 16th 07, 01:57 AM
"RonSonic" > a écrit dans le message de news:
| On 15 Apr 2007 16:23:36 -0700, "Andre" > wrote:
|
| >I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
| >down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
| >second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
| >violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
| >Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.
|
| Who were the douchebags who didn't take their mechanical problems off the
road
| and caused a pile-up?
|
| Ron

Two CSC riders. I think it must have been Cancellera who had the mechanical,
since the other rider stopped to give him his wheel.

Tom Kunich
April 16th 07, 03:18 AM
"Andre" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
> down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
> second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
> violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
> Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost ground
to him all the way to the finish?

Tom Kunich
April 16th 07, 03:19 AM
"Tom Grosman" > wrote in message
> "RonSonic" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> | On 15 Apr 2007 16:23:36 -0700, "Andre" > wrote:
> |
> | >I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
> | >down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
> | >second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
> | >violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
> | >Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.
> |
> | Who were the douchebags who didn't take their mechanical problems off
> the
> road
> | and caused a pile-up?
> |
> | Ron
>
> Two CSC riders. I think it must have been Cancellera who had the
> mechanical,
> since the other rider stopped to give him his wheel.

Duh! - there wasn't anyplace else to go. And the crash was PAST them when
someone must have slipped on the center-rise of the cobbles.

April 16th 07, 03:59 AM
On Apr 15, 4:23 pm, "Andre" > wrote:
> I don't know, but I found today's race dull.

The cyclingnews live report made it sound dull too, in part because I
didn't have a good sense of the key moments, O'Grady kept appearing
and disappearing. But the followup report gave a much better sense of
the unfolding of the race, the well-timed attacks and the missed
opportunities. And the Gazzetta made it sound positively like a
historical epic...

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 16th 07, 04:01 AM
> You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
> pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost
> ground to him all the way to the finish?

There are certain guys whom we'd really *LIKE* to see win, because they've
paid their dues and we like their style & manners. But if you want a winner
based on lifetime achievement or some-such, then you'd better stick to the
Academy Awards.

You can make a case that, in a given race, circumstances might have
transpired against someone and caused him to be unfairly denied a victory,
but aside from that, much as I'd like to see a Stuart O'Grady or Jens Voight
or Erik Zabel win because they play fair, work hard and say the right
things... that doesn't make then deserving of a win. If they can do all that
*and* cross the finish line first- THEN they deserve to win.

But maybe that's not what you meant by "deserving?"

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Tom Kunich
April 16th 07, 04:51 AM
"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
t...
>> You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
>> pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost
>> ground to him all the way to the finish?
>
> There are certain guys whom we'd really *LIKE* to see win, because they've
> paid their dues and we like their style & manners. But if you want a
> winner based on lifetime achievement or some-such, then you'd better stick
> to the Academy Awards.
>
> You can make a case that, in a given race, circumstances might have
> transpired against someone and caused him to be unfairly denied a victory,
> but aside from that, much as I'd like to see a Stuart O'Grady or Jens
> Voight or Erik Zabel win because they play fair, work hard and say the
> right things... that doesn't make then deserving of a win. If they can do
> all that *and* cross the finish line first- THEN they deserve to win.
>
> But maybe that's not what you meant by "deserving?"

Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.

This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
the wrong road.

Kenny
April 16th 07, 07:32 AM
On 16 apr, 05:51, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
>
> t...
>

> >> You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
> >> pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost
> >> ground to him all the way to the finish?
>
> > There are certain guys whom we'd really *LIKE* to see win, because they've
> > paid their dues and we like their style & manners. But if you want a
> > winner based on lifetime achievement or some-such, then you'd better stick
> > to the Academy Awards.
>
> > You can make a case that, in a given race, circumstances might have
> > transpired against someone and caused him to be unfairly denied a victory,
> > but aside from that, much as I'd like to see a Stuart O'Grady or Jens
> > Voight or Erik Zabel win because they play fair, work hard and say the
> > right things... that doesn't make then deserving of a win. If they can do
> > all that *and* cross the finish line first- THEN they deserve to win.
>
> > But maybe that's not what you meant by "deserving?"
>
> Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
> been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
> has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.
>
> This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
> the wrong road.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
this year so far.

You can't deny the fact that the favourites were spending most of
their time marking Boonen. We never saw a Cancellara-Boonen-PVP-
Flecha-Gusev-Hoste battle like last year. That makes it a little
dull. Nonetheless, O'grady was very strong, never panicked, did it
tactically very well.

Kurgan Gringioni
April 16th 07, 07:45 AM
On Apr 15, 11:32 pm, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
> > been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
> > has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.
>
> > This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
> > the wrong road.
>
> Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
> you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
> spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
> for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
> this year so far.

<snip>

Dumbass -

What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Kenny
April 16th 07, 11:56 AM
On 16 apr, 08:45, "Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:
> On Apr 15, 11:32 pm, "Kenny" > wrote:
>

> > > Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
> > > been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
> > > has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.
>
> > > This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
> > > the wrong road.
>
> > Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
> > you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
> > spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
> > for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
> > this year so far.
>
> <snip>
>
> Dumbass -
>
> What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.

He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
year than O'grady in his entire career.

I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
thoughts, but still...

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 16th 07, 12:26 PM
On 16 Apr 2007 03:56:44 -0700, "Kenny" > wrote:

>In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
>makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
>the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
>He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
>because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
>in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
>year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
>I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
>thoughts, but still...

I cheer on results from the English-speaking riders because they have
come from farther away and out of the traditional cycling milieu to
make it where they are. That's a reason I liked Tchmile so much, and
also some of the Colombians -- not just the language but the
enterprising nature of their careers.
--
JT
****************************

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 16th 07, 12:34 PM
On Apr 16, 4:56 am, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > > Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
> > > you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
> > > spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
> > > for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
> > > this year so far.
>
> > <snip>
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> > O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > K. Gringioni.
>
> In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
> makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
> the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
> He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
> because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
> in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
> year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
> I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
> thoughts, but still...

Fear not.. non english speaking countrys have the cycling heritage,
not the other way around. Lots of us english only speakers admire non
native english speaking riders. a few years of lance has NOT put the
US on the map as some sort of cycling power.

April 16th 07, 06:10 PM
> You can't deny the fact that the favourites were spending most of
> their time marking Boonen. We never saw a Cancellara-Boonen-PVP-
> Flecha-Gusev-Hoste battle like last year. That makes it a little
> dull. Nonetheless, O'grady was very strong, never panicked, did it
> tactically very well.

Seemed like most of the favorites, Boonen included, didn't have it
when needed (and a bit of bad luck, e.g., for Hoste). The Wesemann-
O'Grady-Hammond move seemed clear in that moment that it had to be
followed. Yet Boonen didn't, until it was way too late.

Simon Brooke
April 16th 07, 06:13 PM
in message >, Mike
Jacoubowsky ') wrote:

> You can make a case that, in a given race, circumstances might have
> transpired against someone and caused him to be unfairly denied a
> victory, but aside from that, much as I'd like to see a Stuart O'Grady or
> Jens Voight or Erik Zabel win because they play fair, work hard and say
> the right things... that doesn't make then deserving of a win. If they
> can do all that *and* cross the finish line first- THEN they deserve to
> win.

Cycling's an odd sport, though, isn't it?

Riders can be great riders without ever winning anything very big. Jens
Voigt probably has more respect - both in the peloton and among the
tifosi - than a lot of other riders with equal or better palmares; because
he /is/ a great rider.

;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

Simon Brooke
April 16th 07, 06:17 PM
in message om>, Kurgan
Gringioni ') wrote:

> On Apr 15, 11:32 pm, "Kenny" > wrote:
>
>> Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
>> you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
>> spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
>> for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
>> this year so far.
>
> What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.

He's from Australia. They don't count.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

April 16th 07, 09:49 PM
On Apr 16, 1:13 pm, Simon Brooke > wrote:
> in message >, Mike
>
> Jens
> Voigt probably has more respect - both in the peloton and among the
> tifosi - than a lot of other riders with equal or better palmares; because
> he /is/ a great rider.

Two words - Jacky Durand!

Tom Kunich
April 16th 07, 11:39 PM
"Kenny" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 16 apr, 05:51, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>>
>> Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
>> been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No
>> one
>> has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.
>>
> Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years?

http://velopalmares.free.fr/ogrady.htm

Try reading for yourself.

Tom Kunich
April 16th 07, 11:39 PM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.

You're still ****ed because I wouldn't let you give me a BJ.

Kurgan Gringioni
April 17th 07, 12:09 AM
On Apr 16, 3:56 am, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > > Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
> > > you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
> > > spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
> > > for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
> > > this year so far.
>
> > <snip>
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> > O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > K. Gringioni.
>
> In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
> makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
> the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
> He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
> because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
> in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
> year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
> I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
> thoughts, but still...

Dumbass -

Heh.

I don't like parochialism either, but look in the mirror. There may be
some Belgian parochialism lurking there.

As for the parochialism here: there are definitely some idiots. No
question. But it's not the majority. Most of us like cycling because
of its athleticism and its internationalism - if we were more
parochial we'd be watching NASCAR. We do however pay more attention to
English speakers and its mostly because more infomation about them is
available. It's hard to get interested in a guy if you don't know what
he's like cause all his interviews are in Italian.

There are exceptions though. I always knew that Cipollini was a total
****** and Abdujapourov kicked ass.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 17th 07, 03:56 AM
>> Jens
>> Voigt probably has more respect - both in the peloton and among the
>> tifosi - than a lot of other riders with equal or better palmares;
>> because
>> he /is/ a great rider.
>
> Two words - Jacky Durand!

Is that sarcasm?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

April 17th 07, 04:28 AM
On Apr 16, 4:56 am, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > > Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
> > > you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
> > > spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
> > > for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
> > > this year so far.
>
> > <snip>
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> > O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > K. Gringioni.
>
> In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
> makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
> the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
> He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
> because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
> in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
> year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
> I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
> thoughts, but still...- Hide quoted text -

I'm assuming that when you talk about a cyclist being known, you mean
within the realm of cycling fans. Otherwise, O'Grady himself isn't
known in English-speaking countries. Hell, with very rare exception,
no pro cyclist is known by anyone who's not a cyling fan. Cyclists
just aren't household names.

So, given that, would you care to list even ONE person hardly known
among cycling fans in the English-speaking countries who've won more
in one year than O'Grady in his career?

Oh, that's right, you can't.

You know, Kenny, your posts on this subject have a slight tinge of
jealousy to them. Is there something behind the scenes we should know
about?

Fred

Kenny
April 17th 07, 11:47 AM
On 17 apr, 01:09, "Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 3:56 am, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > > <snip>
>
> > > Dumbass -
>
> > > What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> > > O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> > > thanks,
>
> > > K. Gringioni.
>
> > In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
> > makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
> > the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
> > He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
> > because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
> > in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
> > year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
> > I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
> > thoughts, but still...
>
> Dumbass -
>
> Heh.
>
> I don't like parochialism either, but look in the mirror. There may be
> some Belgian parochialism lurking there.
>
> As for the parochialism here: there are definitely some idiots. No
> question. But it's not the majority. Most of us like cycling because
> of its athleticism and its internationalism - if we were more
> parochial we'd be watching NASCAR. We do however pay more attention to
> English speakers and its mostly because more infomation about them is
> available. It's hard to get interested in a guy if you don't know what
> he's like cause all his interviews are in Italian.

Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.

Kenny
April 17th 07, 11:55 AM
On 17 apr, 05:28, wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:56 am, "Kenny" > wrote:

> > > <snip>
>
> > > Dumbass -
>
> > > What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
> > > O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.
>
> > > thanks,
>
> > > K. Gringioni.
>
> > In fact that's the thing that irritates me the most. And it kinda
> > makes me not like O'Grady. I mean, it is a very decent rider, but in
> > the history of road cycling he really won't mean a thing.
>
> > He's so hyped in every english speaking country and that's IMO mostly
> > because of ignorance. There are so many riders who are hardly known
> > in English speaking countries who have won more significant races in 1
> > year than O'grady in his entire career.
>
> > I know the communist spirit of RBR doens't allow this kind of
> > thoughts, but still...- Hide quoted text -

> I'm assuming that when you talk about a cyclist being known, you mean
> within the realm of cycling fans. Otherwise, O'Grady himself isn't
> known in English-speaking countries. Hell, with very rare exception,
> no pro cyclist is known by anyone who's not a cyling fan. Cyclists
> just aren't household names.
>
> So, given that, would you care to list even ONE person hardly known
> among cycling fans in the English-speaking countries who've won more
> in one year than O'Grady in his career?
>
> Oh, that's right, you can't.

I'll give you a name Fred. It will be easy for you to remember: Fred
De Bruyne

> You know, Kenny, your posts on this subject have a slight tinge of
> jealousy to them. Is there something behind the scenes we should know
> about?

Jealousy? where did you get that?

Ewoud Dronkert
April 17th 07, 12:16 PM
On 17 Apr 2007 03:55:12 -0700, Kenny wrote:
> Fred De Bruyne

That is not a rider, that was a rider.

--
E. Dronkert

Kurgan Gringioni
April 17th 07, 05:25 PM
On Apr 17, 3:47 am, Kenny > wrote:

> Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
> is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
> Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
> results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
> If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
> little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.

****tard -

You're accusing me personally of being parochial?

Just want to get this straight before continuing.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Bill C
April 17th 07, 06:05 PM
On Apr 17, 12:25 pm, Kurgan Gringioni > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 3:47 am, Kenny > wrote:
>

> > Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
> > is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
> > Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
> > results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
> > If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
> > little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.
>
> ****tard -
>
> You're accusing me personally of being parochial?
>
> Just want to get this straight before continuing.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

dumbass

Now, you're gonna argue with Tom again for an encore, or is this just
an equivalent? Water at least, eventually, reshapes the stone. I don't
have that feeling here.

Gun owning, Nascar watching, beer drinking American
Bill C
Damn I MUST be ignorant and hate Europeans.

Curtis L. Russell
April 17th 07, 08:11 PM
On 17 Apr 2007 03:47:52 -0700, Kenny > wrote:

>Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
>is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
>Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
>results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
>If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
>little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.

No doubt your reasoning explains why there were no picks to win Paris
Roubaix here other than English speaking riders. Oh, wait just a
****ing moment, there were other picks! What a ****ing surprise!

Oops, sorry, I was channeling My Cousin Vinny for a moment there. You
must be the guy with the screens and trees and leaves and bushes
problem.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Tom Kunich
April 17th 07, 08:32 PM
"Kenny" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
> is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
> Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
> results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
> If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
> little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.

Kenny remember who you're talking to here. Henry has been the class clown
since the first day he posted here. He has never once acted as if he has
thought about anything he writes. He only shoots from the hip as if he was
just too brilliant to be bothered to know what he's talking about.

Tom Kunich
April 17th 07, 08:34 PM
"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
. net...
>>> Jens
>>> Voigt probably has more respect - both in the peloton and among the
>>> tifosi - than a lot of other riders with equal or better palmares;
>>> because
>>> he /is/ a great rider.
>>
>> Two words - Jacky Durand!
>
> Is that sarcasm?

Sarcasm? Jacky was one of the great unsung heros of cycling who preferred to
win big or lose big. He was Bernard Hinault without the ability but all of
the heart.

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 17th 07, 11:18 PM
>>> Two words - Jacky Durand!
>>
>> Is that sarcasm?
>
> Sarcasm? Jacky was one of the great unsung heros of cycling who preferred
> to win big or lose big. He was Bernard Hinault without the ability but all
> of the heart.

We're talking about the same guy who was known within the peloton for
getting dropped on the way to the main climb, and then mysteriously catching
up on said climb, despite not having great abilities in that area? The same
guy people would play tricks on by greasing the parts of a car that one
might try to grab?

That guy???

He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had the
respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Kenny
April 18th 07, 11:44 AM
On 17 apr, 18:25, Kurgan Gringioni > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 3:47 am, Kenny > wrote:
>

> > Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
> > is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
> > Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
> > results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
> > If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
> > little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.
>
> ****tard -
>
> You're accusing me personally of being parochial?
>
> Just want to get this straight before continuing.
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

What if I say yes?

Kenny
April 18th 07, 12:03 PM
On 18 apr, 00:18, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> >> Is that sarcasm?
>
> > Sarcasm? Jacky was one of the great unsung heros of cycling who preferred
> > to win big or lose big. He was Bernard Hinault without the ability but all
> > of the heart.
>
> We're talking about the same guy who was known within the peloton for
> getting dropped on the way to the main climb, and then mysteriously catching
> up on said climb, despite not having great abilities in that area? The same
> guy people would play tricks on by greasing the parts of a car that one
> might try to grab?
>
> That guy???
>
> He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
> which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had the
> respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.

he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
O'Grady.

April 18th 07, 02:07 PM
On Apr 18, 7:03 am, Kenny > wrote:

> he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
> O'Grady.

now that is sounding like sour grapes. one might conclude you are
simply po'd that a true Euro didn't win P-R (really, the race was
ruined b/c everyone was just watching Boonen)

Kenny
April 18th 07, 03:01 PM
On 18 apr, 15:07, " > wrote:
> On Apr 18, 7:03 am, Kenny > wrote:
>
> > he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
> > O'Grady.
>
> now that is sounding like sour grapes. one might conclude you are
> simply po'd that a true Euro didn't win P-R (really, the race was
> ruined b/c everyone was just watching Boonen)

Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.

Tim Arnold
April 18th 07, 04:04 PM
"Kenny" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 18 apr, 15:07, " > wrote:
> > On Apr 18, 7:03 am, Kenny > wrote:
> >
> > > he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
> > > O'Grady.
> >
> > now that is sounding like sour grapes. one might conclude you are
> > simply po'd that a true Euro didn't win P-R (really, the race was
> > ruined b/c everyone was just watching Boonen)
>
> Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
> perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.

I believe that is English speaking, son

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 18th 07, 04:13 PM
>> He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
>> which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had
>> the
>> respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.
>
> he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
> O'Grady.

We're assuming this is all she wrote for Stuey?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Kenny" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> > Sarcasm? Jacky was one of the great unsung heros of cycling who
>> > preferred
>> > to win big or lose big. He was Bernard Hinault without the ability but
>> > all
>> > of the heart.
>>
>> We're talking about the same guy who was known within the peloton for
>> getting dropped on the way to the main climb, and then mysteriously
>> catching
>> up on said climb, despite not having great abilities in that area? The
>> same
>> guy people would play tricks on by greasing the parts of a car that one
>> might try to grab?
>>
>> That guy???
>>
>> He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
>> which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had
>> the
>> respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.
>
> he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
> O'Grady.

April 18th 07, 06:47 PM
> Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
> perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.

you don't think the Belgians cheered as much when Kim Clijsters won
the US Open?

(a likeable player ... her one Grand Slam ... seems kinda like O'Grady)

Kurgan Gringioni
April 18th 07, 06:58 PM
On Apr 18, 3:44 am, Kenny > wrote:
> On 17 apr, 18:25, Kurgan Gringioni > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 17, 3:47 am, Kenny > wrote:
>
> > > Is it? When you check out race results and you notice that "some guy"
> > > is doing quite well, is showing consistance in some minor races.
> > > Doesn't that makes you wonder about his age, his previous
> > > results...?? You don't need to talk italian for that.
> > > If you like cycling because of the internationalism, just look a
> > > little further than the Tour de France or Paris-Roubaix.
>
> > ****tard -
>
> > You're accusing me personally of being parochial?
>
> > Just want to get this straight before continuing.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > K. Gringioni.
>
> What if I say yes?

Dumbass -

I'd google up some stuff to show you the error of your ways.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Tom Kunich
April 19th 07, 04:03 AM
"Kenny" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 18 apr, 15:07, " > wrote:
>> On Apr 18, 7:03 am, Kenny > wrote:
>>
>> > he managed to win 2 classics; that's more than superstar Stuart
>> > O'Grady.
>>
>> now that is sounding like sour grapes. one might conclude you are
>> simply po'd that a true Euro didn't win P-R (really, the race was
>> ruined b/c everyone was just watching Boonen)
>
> Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
> perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.

Strange you didn't try to put Servais Knaven, Frederic Guesdon or Roger
Rosiers's in perspective.

April 19th 07, 04:31 PM
On Apr 17, 6:18 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> >> Is that sarcasm?
>
> > Sarcasm? Jacky was one of the great unsung heros of cycling who preferred
> > to win big or lose big. He was Bernard Hinault without the ability but all
> > of the heart.
>
> We're talking about the same guy who was known within the peloton for
> getting dropped on the way to the main climb, and then mysteriously catching
> up on said climb, despite not having great abilities in that area? The same
> guy people would play tricks on by greasing the parts of a car that one
> might try to grab?
>
> That guy???
>
> He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
> which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had the
> respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.

Mike, do you know anything about European racing? Do you know how
Cippolini finished a lot of races in first place after hanging on to
team cars over a lot of climbs?

Jackie spent a lot of long hours off of the front with TV cameras on
him the entire time. He wasn't hanging onto any team cars then. And
the next day he would attack again. The guy was heroic not superhuman.

Mike Jacoubowsky
April 20th 07, 04:31 AM
>> He got a *lot* of media coverage for his heroic solo breakaways, most of
>> which failed (but still great for sponsors). But don't know that he had
>> the
>> respect of his peers for some of the other things he'd do.
>
> Mike, do you know anything about European racing? Do you know how
> Cippolini finished a lot of races in first place after hanging on to
> team cars over a lot of climbs?
>
> Jackie spent a lot of long hours off of the front with TV cameras on
> him the entire time. He wasn't hanging onto any team cars then. And
> the next day he would attack again. The guy was heroic not superhuman.

So cheating is OK? Are there limits? I mean, limits aside from not being
seen by the officials such that you're disqualified?

Does *everybody* cheat?

(But yeah, I kinda know a thing or two or three about European racing)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Kenny
April 20th 07, 12:35 PM
On 19 apr, 05:03, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Kenny" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> >> now that is sounding like sour grapes. one might conclude you are
> >> simply po'd that a true Euro didn't win P-R (really, the race was
> >> ruined b/c everyone was just watching Boonen)
>
> > Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
> > perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.
>
> Strange you didn't try to put Servais Knaven, Frederic Guesdon or Roger
> Rosiers's in perspective.

they're not hyped

Kenny
April 20th 07, 12:37 PM
On 18 apr, 19:47, " > wrote:
> > Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
> > perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.
>
> you don't think the Belgians cheered as much when Kim Clijsters won
> the US Open?
>
> (a likeable player ... her one Grand Slam ... seems kinda like O'Grady)

yes, she's a compatriot. If Daniela Krajicek won the US open i
wouldn't cheer at all, despite the common language.

Tom Kunich
April 20th 07, 03:20 PM
"Kenny" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 19 apr, 05:03, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> "Kenny" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > Not at all. I'm just trying to put O'grady's career in the right
>> > perspective for all these cheering english speeking fans.
>>
>> Strange you didn't try to put Servais Knaven, Frederic Guesdon or Roger
>> Rosiers's in perspective.
>
> they're not hyped

The hell they weren't.

Google