PDA

View Full Version : Weight weenieing

Simon Brooke
April 16th 07, 10:46 AM
I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
must be heavier. Mustn't they?

No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
bars are going back on.

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

Morten Reippuert Knudsen
April 16th 07, 11:40 AM
Simon Brooke > wrote:
> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
> must be heavier. Mustn't they?

> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
> bars are going back on.

sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
consider a carbon bar?

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

Peter Clinch
April 16th 07, 12:21 PM
Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:

> sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> consider a carbon bar?

<rolls_eyes>
Because it's carbon.
</rolls_eyes>

That's like asking people why they need titanium, for goodness' sake! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Morten Reippuert Knudsen
April 16th 07, 01:30 PM
Peter Clinch > wrote:
> Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
> >
> > sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> > consider a carbon bar?

> <rolls_eyes>
> Because it's carbon.
> </rolls_eyes>

asuming a carbon component is better and lighter without checking
specs?

> That's like asking people why they need titanium, for goodness' sake! ;-)

durability, comfort and of course craftmanship :-)

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

Peter Clinch
April 16th 07, 01:47 PM
Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:

> asuming a carbon component is better and lighter without checking
> specs?

It's _carbon_ and therefore better. (I am not being /entirely/ serious
here, btw).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Dan Connelly
April 16th 07, 04:11 PM
Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
> Simon Brooke > wrote:
>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
>> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
>> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
>> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
>> must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>
>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
>> bars are going back on.
>
> sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> consider a carbon bar?

That seems like a lot:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadhandlebars&sortby=real

or the following, which also has good recommendations on cracks:
http://www.calfeedesign.com/barstem.htm

The only reason I can see for carbon is if you want an anatomic cross-section. I'll stick with metal.

Dan

Fred Fredburger
April 16th 07, 04:14 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
> must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>
> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
> bars are going back on.

I was recently in an auto parts store that carried replacement clutch,
brake and accelerator pedals for your car: "Made of 100% Carbon Fiber"
(which had to have been untrue, I think). So now my carbon fiber
handlebars seem only just a little bit stupid, and I can keep them.

Tom
April 16th 07, 04:30 PM
Peter Clinch > wrote:

> It's _carbon_ and therefore better. (I am not being /entirely/
> serious here, btw).

I think that if "carbon" was known as carbon reinforced PLASTIC, and didn't
have that lovely black weave, no-one would want it. (you'll note that no-one
ever asks "can I get that carbon (X) in blue")

I have a friend who is a "carbon" addict and he gets quite upset when
anyone mentions the word plastic. He'll be heartbroken when I tell him how
much heavier Simons new handlebars were than his old Aluminium ones.

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Simon Brooke
April 16th 07, 04:34 PM
in message >, Morten Reippuert Knudsen
') wrote:

> Simon Brooke > wrote:
>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't
>> you? After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of
>> metal on my race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put
>> the carbon ones on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand,
>> they're BBB. They must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>
>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The
>> aluminium bars are going back on.
>
> sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> consider a carbon bar?

Pretty bright thing. Simon see pretty bright thing. Simon /want/ pretty
bright thing...

Adult? Moi? Mais non, m'sieu.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed

Kurgan Gringioni
April 16th 07, 06:05 PM
On Apr 16, 4:21 am, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
>
> > sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> > consider a carbon bar?
>
> <rolls_eyes>
> Because it's carbon.
> </rolls_eyes>
>
> That's like asking people why they need titanium, for goodness' sake! ;-)

Titanium would be a better material for bars, IMO. Worn aluminum bars
break without warning.

niemotko
April 16th 07, 07:02 PM
"Donald Munro" > wrote in message
. com...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't
>> you?
>> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on
>> my
>> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon
>> ones
>> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
>> must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>>
>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
>> bars are going back on.
>
> The Deda aluminium handlebars are supposed to be around 200 grams. The
> Easton carbon ones are a bit lighter though, but I don't really trust
> carbon when it comes to attaching TT bars where the carbon might get
> compressed. Anyway these batmobile shaped carbon bars are impractical when
> it comes to attaching thing like TT bars or computer mounts.

I went back to aluminium bars from carbon, I had 3t carbon bars that were
very nice but only lasted about 4 months before they broke and 3t wouldn't
replace them. Now I have ritchey wcs bars and the only thing I see
different is the price $75 or $250. I don't trust carbon bars after the
first ones broke, the 20 grams isn't worth it to me.

Donald Munro
April 16th 07, 07:19 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
> must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>
> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
> bars are going back on.

The Deda aluminium handlebars are supposed to be around 200 grams. The
Easton carbon ones are a bit lighter though, but I don't really trust
carbon when it comes to attaching TT bars where the carbon might get
compressed. Anyway these batmobile shaped carbon bars are impractical when
it comes to attaching thing like TT bars or computer mounts.

Donald Munro
April 16th 07, 07:20 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> Pretty bright thing. Simon see pretty bright thing. Simon /want/ pretty
> bright thing...

Bananas are cheaper.

Tom Crispin
April 16th 07, 07:36 PM
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:40:58 +0200, Morten Reippuert
> wrote:

>Simon Brooke > wrote:
>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't you?
>> After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal on my
>> race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the carbon ones
>> on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand, they're BBB. They
>> must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>
>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
>> bars are going back on.
>
>sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
>consider a carbon bar?

I love carbon bling.

I have carbon handlebars, carbon seatpost and *3* carbon bottle
holders on my tourer.

I've even considered getting one of these fitted, but I wasn't sure
the carbon seat post has the right fitting.
http://tinyurl.com/2qv79y from
www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/carbon-fibre-toilet.jpg

Curtis L. Russell
April 16th 07, 08:11 PM
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:53:44 -0700, Fred Fredburger
> wrote:

>The batmobile shape is important. It lets everyone know that, underneath
>that handlebar tape, you've got carbon fiber.

That sounds like someone is missing the boat on handlebar tape. Maybe
a tape that looks like naked carbon fiber is in order. You could even
make an aluminum bar look like carbon fiber. Should be able to get $
50 a roll and everyone comes out ahead.

Wrapping the bar so the fibers line up could be a real art, though.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Donald Munro
April 16th 07, 09:04 PM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> That sounds like someone is missing the boat on handlebar tape. Maybe
> a tape that looks like naked carbon fiber is in order. You could even
> make an aluminum bar look like carbon fiber. Should be able to get $
> 50 a roll and everyone comes out ahead.

Sorry, that ones already taken:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15694-200_SETCB6-3-Parts-61-Grips/Bar-Tape/Sette-Carbon-Bar-Tape.htm

Now you'll have to go back to suing Ryan over LIVEDRUNK rights.

Bret
April 16th 07, 09:43 PM
> That sounds like someone is missing the boat on handlebar tape. Maybe
> a tape that looks like naked carbon fiber is in order. You could even
> make an aluminum bar look like carbon fiber. Should be able to get $
> 50 a roll and everyone comes out ahead.

I've got some faux carbon handlebar tape on my bike. It looks great. I
also have a faux carbon water bottle made by Zefal. It's even got the
word carbon printed on it just in case someone doesn't recognize it
for what it is.

http://tinyurl.com/2o84cq

These items are great for accenting the real carbon bits on your bike.

Bret

Curtis L. Russell
April 16th 07, 10:15 PM
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:04:04 +0200, Donald Munro
> wrote:

>Sorry, that ones already taken:
>http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15694-200_SETCB6-3-Parts-61-Grips/Bar-Tape/Sette-Carbon-Bar-Tape.htm
>
>Now you'll have to go back to suing Ryan over LIVEDRUNK rights.

I'm thinking the latter is one of those things where only the lawyers
make any money and the rest of us are left to drown our sorrows with
cheap booze.

Best just take the money we have now and buy better booze.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Fred Fredburger
April 16th 07, 10:47 PM
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:04:04 +0200, Donald Munro
> > wrote:
>
>> Sorry, that ones already taken:
>> http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15694-200_SETCB6-3-Parts-61-Grips/Bar-Tape/Sette-Carbon-Bar-Tape.htm
>>
>> Now you'll have to go back to suing Ryan over LIVEDRUNK rights.
>
> I'm thinking the latter is one of those things where only the lawyers
> make any money and the rest of us are left to drown our sorrows with
> cheap booze.
>
> Best just take the money we have now and buy better booze.

Not very sporting of you. I mean, lawyers gotta drink too!

Fred Fredburger
April 16th 07, 10:58 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message >, Morten Reippuert Knudsen
> ') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke > wrote:
>>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't
>>> you? After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of
>>> metal on my race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put
>>> the carbon ones on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand,
>>> they're BBB. They must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The
>>> aluminium bars are going back on.
>> sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
>> consider a carbon bar?
>
> Pretty bright thing. Simon see pretty bright thing. Simon /want/ pretty
> bright thing...
>
> Adult? Moi? Mais non, m'sieu.

Remain childish, it's cheaper.

Adults ride steel bikes. With lugs. Done correctly, this requires a
custom made Rivendell frame. And you'll have to wait three years. But,
when you're an adult, you have the patience to deal with it. At least
that's what you tell yourself. Besides, it gives you time to save up to
pay for the silly thing. Which you'll need to do since adults eschew
credit card debt.

Curtis L. Russell
April 17th 07, 01:36 AM
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:47:13 -0700, Fred Fredburger >
wrote:

>Not very sporting of you. I mean, lawyers gotta drink too!

Let 'em drink the cheap stuff for a while. I suggest large bottles of
Paisano.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Howard Kveck
April 17th 07, 03:04 AM
In article . com>,
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:

> On Apr 16, 4:21 am, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> > Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
> >
> > > sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> > > consider a carbon bar?
> >
> > <rolls_eyes>
> > Because it's carbon.
> > </rolls_eyes>
> >
> > That's like asking people why they need titanium, for goodness' sake! ;-)
>

> Titanium would be a better material for bars, IMO. Worn aluminum bars
> break without warning.

Well, sometimes there is a tiny bit of creaking that you'll probably ignore.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Ro
April 17th 07, 04:53 AM
Peter Clinch > wrote:
>Morten Reippuert Knudsen wrote:
>
>> asuming a carbon component is better and lighter without checking
>> specs?
>
>It's _carbon_ and therefore better. (I am not being /entirely/ serious
>here, btw).
>
>Pete.
>--
Great posts, got a real laugh out of it, best post in here for ages. LOL
Ro

Michael Press
April 17th 07, 06:53 AM
In article >,
Fred Fredburger > wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > in message >, Morten Reippuert Knudsen
> > ') wrote:

> >> sounds like a carbon wrapped aluminum bar. btw why would you even
> >> consider a carbon bar?
> >
> > Pretty bright thing. Simon see pretty bright thing. Simon /want/ pretty
> > bright thing...
> >
> > Adult? Moi? Mais non, m'sieu.
>
> Remain childish, it's cheaper.
>
> Adults ride steel bikes. With lugs. Done correctly, this requires a
> custom made Rivendell frame. And you'll have to wait three years. But,
> when you're an adult, you have the patience to deal with it. At least
> that's what you tell yourself. Besides, it gives you time to save up to
> pay for the silly thing. Which you'll need to do since adults eschew
> credit card debt.

There are good frame builders everywhere. You can walk into their
shop and talk with them. In two or three months you have a frame
that is the equal of the three year frame for about the same
money. I understand that plastic frames are readily available
everywhere and excellent value.

--
Michael Press

Dave Larrington
April 17th 07, 08:30 AM
In ,
Tom Crispin > tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> I love carbon bling.
>
> I have carbon handlebars, carbon seatpost and *3* carbon bottle
> holders on my tourer.
>
> I've even considered getting one of these fitted, but I wasn't sure
> the carbon seat post has the right fitting.
> http://tinyurl.com/2qv79y from
> www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/carbon-fibre-toilet.jpg

Depravo the Roadrat has carbon-look handlebar plugs. The bit that fits into
the end of the bar had to be padded out with gaffer tape to make 'em fit
snugly, but it's /carbon/, innit?

Well, it isn't, obv, but that's not the point :-)

--
Dave Larrington
Hoc ardur vincere docet.

Fred Fredburger
April 18th 07, 02:30 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> In article >,
> Fred Fredburger > wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>> in message >, Morten Reippuert Knudsen

>>> Pretty bright thing. Simon see pretty bright thing. Simon /want/ pretty
>>> bright thing...
>>>
>>> Adult? Moi? Mais non, m'sieu.
>> Remain childish, it's cheaper.
>>
>> Adults ride steel bikes. With lugs. Done correctly, this requires a
>> custom made Rivendell frame. And you'll have to wait three years. But,
>> when you're an adult, you have the patience to deal with it. At least
>> that's what you tell yourself. Besides, it gives you time to save up to
>> pay for the silly thing. Which you'll need to do since adults eschew
>> credit card debt.
>
> There are good frame builders everywhere. You can walk into their
> shop and talk with them. In two or three months you have a frame
> that is the equal of the three year frame for about the same
> money. I understand that plastic frames are readily available
> everywhere and excellent value.

OH, quit acting like such a balanced, well mannered, grown up! This is
RBR, for crying out loud!

Michael Press
April 18th 07, 06:27 AM
In article >,
Fred Fredburger > wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Fred Fredburger > wrote:

> >> Remain childish, it's cheaper.
> >>
> >> Adults ride steel bikes. With lugs. Done correctly, this requires a
> >> custom made Rivendell frame. And you'll have to wait three years. But,
> >> when you're an adult, you have the patience to deal with it. At least
> >> that's what you tell yourself. Besides, it gives you time to save up to
> >> pay for the silly thing. Which you'll need to do since adults eschew
> >> credit card debt.
> >
> > There are good frame builders everywhere. You can walk into their
> > shop and talk with them. In two or three months you have a frame
> > that is the equal of the three year frame for about the same
> > money. I understand that plastic frames are readily available
> > everywhere and excellent value.
> >

> OH, quit acting like such a balanced, well mannered, grown up! This is
> RBR, for crying out loud!

THHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

--
Michael Press

Fred Fredburger
April 19th 07, 12:57 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> In article >,
> Fred Fredburger > wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:

>>> There are good frame builders everywhere. You can walk into their
>>> shop and talk with them. In two or three months you have a frame
>>> that is the equal of the three year frame for about the same
>>> money. I understand that plastic frames are readily available
>>> everywhere and excellent value.
>>>
>> OH, quit acting like such a balanced, well mannered, grown up! This is
>> RBR, for crying out loud!
>
> THHHHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

And a neener, neener, neener to you too, Sir!

Fred Fredburger
April 22nd 07, 06:53 AM
Donald Munro wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> I went out and bought myself a carbon handlebar. I mean, you do, don't
>> you? After all, the handlebars were about the last remaining bit of metal
>> on my race bike. And today I took the aluminium bars off, to put the
>> carbon ones on. I mean, my aluminium bars aren't even a good brand,
>> they're BBB. They must be heavier. Mustn't they?
>>
>> No. Aluminium bars, 260 grammes. Carbon fibre, 376 grammes. The aluminium
>> bars are going back on.
>
> The Deda aluminium handlebars are supposed to be around 200 grams. The
> Easton carbon ones are a bit lighter though, but I don't really trust
> carbon when it comes to attaching TT bars where the carbon might get
> compressed. Anyway these batmobile shaped carbon bars are impractical when
> it comes to attaching thing like TT bars or computer mounts.

The batmobile shape is important. It lets everyone know that, underneath
that handlebar tape, you've got carbon fiber.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home