PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mounting fenders and blackburn lowriders

Marten Hoffmann
August 14th 03, 03:04 PM
schreef ...
> Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn
> lowrider racks? The fenders have a plastic piece that attaches to the
> same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting order being
> brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a
> rather long bolt. A different mounting order puts the fender 'stays'
> outside the rack making pannier mounting difficult.

In my experience, the "long bolt" problem is theoretical rather than
practical. BTW you can also mount the plastic outside of the rack,
couldn't you? In any case, make sure your bolts are sufficiently long to
fill out the brazeon completely. If there is room between brazeon and
spokes (which I presume) you could even go for the supersafe route and
use an extra-long bolt with a nut on it. Can't beat that for security.

--
Regards,
Marten

Dan Daniel
August 14th 03, 03:12 PM
On 13 Aug 2003 19:11:15 -0700, (Harry H) wrote:

>Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn
>lowrider racks? The fenders have a plastic piece that attaches to the
>same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting order being
>brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a
>rather long bolt. A different mounting order puts the fender 'stays'
>outside the rack making pannier mounting difficult.

I haven't done the lowrider rack, but I have had a rack and the sks
fenders on the front. One way to deal with the problem that you
mention is to mount the fender stays higher up the fork. I used those
vinyl-coated plastic clamps placed about five inches above the
dropouts for attaching the fenders. The stays go to the inside of the
rack. The sks stays are longer than need be. so the different angling-
short on top and longer on the bottom- that this mounting creates is
easy. The fenders are perfectly stable.

David Damerell
August 14th 03, 04:34 PM
Marten Hoffmann > wrote:
>couldn't you? In any case, make sure your bolts are sufficiently long to
>fill out the brazeon completely. If there is room between brazeon and
>spokes (which I presume) you could even go for the supersafe route and
>use an extra-long bolt with a nut on it. Can't beat that for security.

Surely everyone does this as a matter of course.
--
David Damerell > Distortion Field!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home