PDA

View Full Version : Went over the handle bars and landed on head

April 19th 07, 05:13 AM
I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

April 19th 07, 07:38 AM
On Apr 18, 9:13 pm, wrote:
> I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

This belongs on rec.bicycles.tech, but maybe you shouldn't
presume right now to tell everyone else how to brake.
Front brakes are more powerful; using rear brake only will lead
to poor stopping power and possibly embarrassing skidding and
low-siding incidents. On steep and loose surfaces, using
the front only can cause problems; you don't want to skid
the front. If the wheel comes off the ground and you're
squeezing the front brake hard, it can lock, and when it comes
back down, it stops and you endo.

That's probably what you did. The lesson is not to use the rear
brake only, but to practice endo-ing until you learn the limits of
the front brake. After landing on your head a few times, you
will be fully qualified to post to RBR.

Ben

Carl Sundquist
April 19th 07, 09:59 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

You must not have oiled your brakes lately.

Simon Brooke
April 19th 07, 10:10 AM
in message . com>,
') wrote:

> I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

You are this: mad.

Back brakes on bicycles basically don't work, because weight transfers
forward during braking, so the back wheel unweights. All you do with the
back brake alone, in an emergency braking situation, is provoke a skid and
wear a hole in your back tyre.

There are serious cyclists who recommend front brake alone; Sheldon Brown
does, for one. And certainly, on good surfaces, from the point of view of
physics they are right: the front brake is the one that can stop you.
Obviously, to brake hard, on a road bike just as much as on a mountain
bike, you have to brace, or your body will move forward on the bike
increasing the likelihood of going over the bars. Better still is to get
your weight as far back as possible, by getting your arse out of the
saddleand out over the back wheel.

And, obviously, just grabbing the brakes is a bad idea; we don't (yet) have
ABS on bicycles, so you have to modulate your braking.

Final thing: don't go very slowly over dropoffs. You need some forward
momentum. Even if you don't touch the brakes at all, going slowly over a
drop-off can provoke an over-the-handlebars crash.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

Richard Cheese
April 19th 07, 10:51 AM
One time I rubbed a cheese grader over the small patch of skin between my
nuts and o-ring. Geeez did that ever hurt. It knocked the wind out of me
for a while. Don't do this!!

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

Donald Munro
April 19th 07, 11:13 AM
wrote:
> After landing on your head a few times, you
> will be fully qualified to post to RBR.

Riding an MTB is to blame for producing a GWB. Never vote for a MTBer,
except perhaps for supreme leader of rbr.

John Forrest Tomlinson
April 19th 07, 11:51 AM
On 18 Apr 2007 21:13:51 -0700, wrote:

> Im going back to only using my rear
>brakes.

LOL. Try doing that for a day or two. Won't work.

--
JT
****************************

Bill C
April 19th 07, 12:36 PM
On Apr 19, 4:59 am, "Carl Sundquist" > wrote:

> You must not have oiled your brakes lately.

I hear that Teflon spray lube really helps with this, and cures the
squeaking too. Just make sure you've got a good even coat all along
the braking surfaces of both rims.
Bill C

Curtis L. Russell
April 19th 07, 02:02 PM
On 18 Apr 2007 23:38:10 -0700, "
> wrote:

>That's probably what you did. The lesson is not to use the rear
>brake only, but to practice endo-ing until you learn the limits of
>the front brake. After landing on your head a few times, you
>will be fully qualified to post to RBR.

You know, now that Jan is retired, there is a place in the peloton for
someone that likes to occasionally go over the handlebars with only
moderate damage. Rasmussen has tried to take that role, but he doesn't
do it with much panache. And practicing until you get it right on a TT
stage is not the best approach.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Stu Fleming
April 19th 07, 02:06 PM
wrote:
> I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

Carbon or aluminium bars?

Curtis L. Russell
April 19th 07, 02:07 PM
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:51:42 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
> wrote:

>On 18 Apr 2007 21:13:51 -0700, wrote:
>
>> Im going back to only using my rear
>>brakes.
>
>LOL. Try doing that for a day or two. Won't work.

I don't know - good reflexes and a willingness to slide and you might
make it work. Anybody that likes to scrub gravel out of road rash
could have a hell of a time.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

RonSonic
April 19th 07, 02:24 PM
On 18 Apr 2007 21:13:51 -0700, wrote:

>I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
>this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
>hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
>brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
>hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
>embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

You didn't have the right drug stack for front braking. Go up on the anabolics
and down ont the thermogens if you're using the front brake.

Ron

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 19th 07, 02:35 PM
On Apr 18, 10:13 pm, wrote:
> I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHiV5A7BhVU&NR=1

April 19th 07, 06:13 PM
On Apr 19, 2:10 am, Simon Brooke > wrote:
> in message . com>,
>
> ') wrote:
> > I dont recommend braking front brakes hard. For some reason i got in
> > this habit today of braking hard with front brakes as my rear brake
> > hand lever was closer to handle. Im going back to only using my rear
> > brakes. I was going very slow over a 12 inch drop and i guess i braked
> > hard at some point and i went right over the handle bars and fell down
> > embankment. knocked wind out of me. dizzy for awhile. dont do this!!
>
> You are this: mad.
>
> Back brakes on bicycles basically don't work, because weight transfers
> forward during braking, so the back wheel unweights. All you do with the
> back brake alone, in an emergency braking situation, is provoke a skid and
> wear a hole in your back tyre.
>
> There are serious cyclists who recommend front brake alone; Sheldon Brown
> does, for one. And certainly, on good surfaces, from the point of view of
> physics they are right: the front brake is the one that can stop you.
> Obviously, to brake hard, on a road bike just as much as on a mountain
> bike, you have to brace, or your body will move forward on the bike
> increasing the likelihood of going over the bars. Better still is to get
> your weight as far back as possible, by getting your arse out of the
> saddleand out over the back wheel.
>
> And, obviously, just grabbing the brakes is a bad idea; we don't (yet) have
> ABS on bicycles, so you have to modulate your braking.
>
> Final thing: don't go very slowly over dropoffs. You need some forward
> momentum. Even if you don't touch the brakes at all, going slowly over a
> drop-off can provoke an over-the-handlebars crash.
>
> --
> (Simon Brooke)http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Lots to think about.

Booker C. Bense[_5_]
April 19th 07, 07:12 PM
In article >,
Curtis L. Russell > wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:51:42 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
> wrote:
>
>>On 18 Apr 2007 21:13:51 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>> Im going back to only using my rear
>>>brakes.
>>
>>LOL. Try doing that for a day or two. Won't work.
>
>I don't know - good reflexes and a willingness to slide and you might
>make it work. Anybody that likes to scrub gravel out of road rash
>could have a hell of a time.

_ It worked for years on my Schwinn w/coaster brakes. Power
slides are fun... You know it may explain a lot about baby
boomers, they all grew up riding bikes that don't actually have
functional brakes, but were really good for making skid marks.

_ Booker C. Bense

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home