PDA

View Full Version : Really Short Amateur

Mark Hickey
April 22nd 07, 09:23 PM
"Richard Cheese" > wrote:

>I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
>
>Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
>back of this group...
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders
>
>Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez

Isn't it nice that he leader is looking back and shouting "c'mon,
little buddy - we'll wait for you"...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Davey Crockett
April 22nd 07, 10:43 PM
* "Richard Cheese" > a écrit
> I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
>
> Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
> back of this group...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders
>
> Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
> Brajkovic.

Possibly the effect of a long lens?

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett

Ryan Cousineau
April 23rd 07, 03:23 AM
In article >,
"Richard Cheese" > wrote:

> I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
>
> Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
> back of this group...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/200
> 7/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders
>
> Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
> Brajkovic.

I know the framebuilder:

http://flickr.com/photos/ttcopley/456758466/in/set-72157594551105230/

The rider of this yellow bike is very happy with it.

Net-stalkers may seen an actual rbr denizen photo here:

http://flickr.com/photos/ttcopley/456764467/in/set-72157594551105230/

Distinguishing features: glasses, scar on lip, extra right hand.

Michael Press
April 23rd 07, 06:43 AM
In article >,
Davey Crockett > wrote:

> * "Richard Cheese" > a écrit
> > I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
> >
> > Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
> > back of this group...
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders
> >
> > Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
> > Brajkovic.
> >

> Possibly the effect of a long lens?

A long lens makes distant objects appear larger. You can think of
the distortion as shortening the distance between foreground and
background.

The, distortion, if it is distortion, is that of a wide angle
lens. The same effect as in those convex mirrors with the legend
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

--
Michael Press

Michael Press
April 23rd 07, 06:47 AM
In article
Michael Press > wrote:

> In article >,
> Davey Crockett > wrote:
>
> > * "Richard Cheese" > a écrit
> > > I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
> > >
> > > Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
> > > back of this group...
> > >
> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders
> > >
> > > Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
> > > Brajkovic.
> > >

> > Possibly the effect of a long lens?
>
> A long lens makes distant objects appear larger. You can think of
> the distortion as shortening the distance between foreground and
> background.
>
> The, distortion, if it is distortion, is that of a wide angle
> lens. The same effect as in those convex mirrors with the legend
> "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

I take it back. This is not a wide angle lens photograph.

--
Michael Press

Richard Cheese
April 23rd 07, 07:35 AM
I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.

Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
back of this group...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/08---amateur-riders

Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
Brajkovic.

Ryan Cousineau
April 23rd 07, 09:06 AM
In article >,
Michael Press > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Michael Press > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Davey Crockett > wrote:
> >
> > > * "Richard Cheese" > a écrit

> > > Possibly the effect of a long lens?
> >
> > A long lens makes distant objects appear larger. You can think of
> > the distortion as shortening the distance between foreground and
> > background.
> >
> > The, distortion, if it is distortion, is that of a wide angle
> > lens. The same effect as in those convex mirrors with the legend
> > "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."
>
> I take it back. This is not a wide angle lens photograph.

Correct. With a long lens, you can effectively "flatten" the look of a
group of objects in the distance.

Basically, we seem to have a bunch of people ranging from fairly far
from the lens to very far from the lens, all in focus.

I think the illusion may be a result of your brain anticipating that
these objects would be demonstrating a parallax effect it could detect
with your eyes if they weren't all close together.

But no parallax, so they must be close to each other, so the last guy
must be really tiny.

There's a common photo-composition trick that takes advantage of this
illusion, demonstrated here:

http://flickr.com/photos/rodlewis/276861861/

Ha ha! it looks like the giant kid is holding the tiny kids in his
hands! Most amusing!

Well, except he blew it and left some space between the kid in his left
hand and his palm.

So there, now you have something fun to do with your kids and your
digicam this weekend.

April 23rd 07, 10:16 AM
On Apr 23, 1:06 am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> I think the illusion may be a result of your brain anticipating that
> these objects would be demonstrating a parallax effect it could detect
> with your eyes if they weren't all close together.
>
> But no parallax, so they must be close to each other, so the last guy
> must be really tiny.
>
> There's a common photo-composition trick that takes advantage of this
> illusion, demonstrated here:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/rodlewis/276861861/
>
> Ha ha! it looks like the giant kid is holding the tiny kids in his
> hands! Most amusing!
>
> Well, except he blew it and left some space between the kid in his left
> hand and his palm.

Yeah, except that that illusion hardly ever is convincing.
I think something different is going on with the cyclingnews
photograph, perhaps caused by the non - level road surface.
It looks like the "short" rider is about to come over a small
rise in the road behind the big dude in the yellow/red/blue
jersey. But actually he is much farther away. Something
about the level road surface close to us and non-level road
behind the big dude is messing up our calculation of the
vanishing point.

Ben

Qui si parla Campagnolo
April 23rd 07, 01:14 PM
On Apr 22, 3:43 pm, Davey Crockett >
wrote:
> * "Richard Cheese" > a écrit
>
> > I guess there weren't any height restrictions in the Amstel amateur ride.
>
> > Check out the really short amateur and his dinky little frame set at the
> > back of this group...
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/amstel07/index.php?id=/p....
>
> > Geeeezzzz, is that guy short or what? He's gotta weigh less than Janez
> > Brajkovic.
>
> Possibly the effect of a long lens?
>
> --
> Le vent à Dos
> Davey Crockett
> -
> Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud) (1999)http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7065177340464808778&q=%22mon...

We are a serious bunch aren't we...3 posts before somebody said
this....

Michael Press
April 23rd 07, 08:36 PM
In article
. com>,
" > wrote:

> On Apr 23, 1:06 am, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
> > I think the illusion may be a result of your brain anticipating that
> > these objects would be demonstrating a parallax effect it could detect
> > with your eyes if they weren't all close together.
> >
> > But no parallax, so they must be close to each other, so the last guy
> > must be really tiny.
> >
> > There's a common photo-composition trick that takes advantage of this
> > illusion, demonstrated here:
> >
> > http://flickr.com/photos/rodlewis/276861861/
> >
> > Ha ha! it looks like the giant kid is holding the tiny kids in his
> > hands! Most amusing!
> >
> > Well, except he blew it and left some space between the kid in his left
> > hand and his palm.
>
> Yeah, except that that illusion hardly ever is convincing.
> I think something different is going on with the cyclingnews
> photograph, perhaps caused by the non - level road surface.
> It looks like the "short" rider is about to come over a small
> rise in the road behind the big dude in the yellow/red/blue
> jersey. But actually he is much farther away. Something
> about the level road surface close to us and non-level road
> behind the big dude is messing up our calculation of the
> vanishing point.

I will try again. The distortion of the long lens makes distance
from foreground to background appear less than it is. This makes
the grade look steeper. We then adjust our assessment of the
distance to the rider at the bottom of the grade upwards to take
account of the extra distance down the grade.

--
Michael Press

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home