PDA

View Full Version : The BIG Issue - bikes

Donga
April 24th 07, 03:40 AM
If you have $4 spare, pick up a copy of the BIG ISSUE (yellow bike
sign for the cover) - a few articles on cycling including a very
positive editorial (give that man a medal).

Donga

cfsmtb[_141_]
April 24th 07, 04:13 AM
Donga Wrote:
> If you have $4 spare, pick up a copy of the BIG ISSUE (yellow bike sign
> for the cover) - a few articles on cycling including a very
> positive editorial (give that man a medal).

Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this week
... ;)

PS. Any good?

--
cfsmtb

rooman[_82_]
April 24th 07, 04:44 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this week
> ... ;)
>
> PS. Any good?
cool ...heading for town will lurk on a corner and see if I can spend
my $4...

This might be the BIGGEST sale issue of the BIG issue yet!
[image: http://www.bigissue.org.au/image/upload/277_BIKE.jpg]
"[image: http://www.bigissue.org.au/image/on_sale.gif]
There’s been a quiet, pedal-powered revolution on our streets in recent
years. At peak hour on inner-city cycle routes around Australia, bikes
bank up in drifts at the lights. The humble bicycle is no longer the
preserve of hippies and health freaks – sales of bicycles now exceed
cars as more Australians than ever before are pushing for a healthier
world. The Big Issue gets on its bike and investigates.

--
rooman

Donga
April 24th 07, 04:44 AM
On Apr 24, 1:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2pi...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>
> > If you have $4 spare, pick up a copy of the BIG ISSUE (yellow bike sign
> > for the cover) - a few articles on cycling including a very
> > positive editorial (give that man a medal).
>
> Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this week
> ... ;)
>
> PS. Any good?
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Not sure - the editorial is good, but the rest will be digested over a
week's lunches. The $4 is well spent even if the articles are
ordinary.

donga

treadly&me[_3_]
April 24th 07, 06:56 AM
Donga Wrote:
> On Apr 24, 1:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2pi...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Donga Wrote:
> >
> > > If you have $4 spare, pick up a copy of the BIG ISSUE (yellow bike
> sign
> > > for the cover) - a few articles on cycling including a very
> > > positive editorial (give that man a medal).
> >
> > Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this
> week
> > ... ;)
> >
> > PS. Any good?
> >
> > --
> > cfsmtb
>
> Not sure - the editorial is good, but the rest will be digested over a
> week's lunches. The $4 is well spent even if the articles are
> ordinary.
>
> donga

Well written feature article by Hilary Harper, but nothing really new
to anyone who hangs around here. Haven't had a squint at the rest of
the mag yet.

Reviewed the main article here 'Bike Power in The Big Issue'
(http://treadly.thingoid.com/2007/04/23/bike-power-in-the-big-issue/).

--
treadly&amp;me

Adam F[_3_]
April 24th 07, 10:28 AM
Donga wrote:
> On Apr 24, 1:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2pi...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Donga Wrote:
>>
>>> If you have $4 spare, pick up a copy of the BIG ISSUE (yellow bike sign
>>> for the cover) - a few articles on cycling including a very
>>> positive editorial (give that man a medal).
>> Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this week
>> ... ;)
>>
>> PS. Any good?
>>
>> --
>> cfsmtb
>
> Not sure - the editorial is good, but the rest will be digested over a
> week's lunches. The $4 is well spent even if the articles are
> ordinary.
>
> donga

Well every time I've bought it it's been top-notch so $4 very well-spent
I'd say.

--
//Adam F

SteveA[_28_]
April 29th 07, 11:12 AM
Adam F Wrote:
> Donga wrote:
> > On Apr 24, 1:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2pi...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> sign
> >> Ah crap, thanks for the reminder, I was told to go buy a copy this
> week
> >> ... ;)
> >>
> >> PS. Any good?
> >>
> >> --
> >> cfsmtb
> >
> > Not sure - the editorial is good, but the rest will be digested over
> > week's lunches. The $4 is well spent even if the articles are
> > ordinary.
> >
> > donga
> >

> Well every time I've bought it it's been top-notch so $4 very
> well-spent
> I'd say.
>
> --
> //Adam FAlways good reading. And I like to stop to have a chat with the bloke
who sells them on the footbridge from Perth railway station to the
city.

Everyone, if you have time, stop for a chat with the seller who
provides you with your Big Issue - you'd be surprised how interesting
it can be.

SteveA

--
SteveA

me[_3_]
April 29th 07, 12:38 PM
On Apr 29, 8:12 pm, SteveA <SteveA.2ps...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> Everyone, if you have time, stop for a chat with the seller who
> provides you with your Big Issue - you'd be surprised how interesting
> it can be.

Finally tracked down a seller on Thursday arvo and purchased his last
three copies. He was extremely pleased with that & mentioned it was
his birthday. So I sang him Happy Birthday (with another bypasser
joining in with my off key rendition). Lovely bloke, he's in the CBD
and has his little doggie in a basket alongside. ;)

LotteBum[_45_]
April 29th 07, 11:07 PM
me Wrote:
> Finally tracked down a seller on Thursday arvo and purchased his last
> three copies. He was extremely pleased with that & mentioned it was his
> birthday. So I sang him Happy Birthday (with another bypasser joining in
> with my off key rendition). Lovely bloke, he's in the CBD and has his
> little doggie in a basket alongside. ;)
That is so sweet! Good on you.

I bought a copy of the latest Big Issue the other day - my first. What
a fantastic read! News Ltd could score some ideas from these guys! I
might leave it lying around the office for people to read...

LH

--
LotteBum

Google