PDA

View Full Version : Crankset for fixie/SS

Donga
April 24th 07, 03:52 AM
Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?

I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
combinations.

I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
these?

Thanks muchly.

Donga

Resound[_2_]
April 24th 07, 02:20 PM
"Donga" > wrote in message ups.com...
> Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
> of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
> eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
> cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
> it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
> combinations.
>
> I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> these?
>
> Thanks muchly.
>
> Donga

Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some stuff http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html

Joel Mayes
April 24th 07, 11:23 PM
On 2007-04-24, Donga > wrote:
> Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
> of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
> eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
> cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
> it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
> combinations.

Have you checked out wether TA still makes cranks with that BCD? They
do still make a couple of obsolete sizes. If they do Greenspeed may be
able to get a ring for you.

If not any good quality crank set can be single speeded by removing a
chain ring if you've got a set of single stack crank bolts.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
| Low cost 2nd hand bikes
www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre

gplama[_86_]
April 24th 07, 11:52 PM
Donga Wrote:
> Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> these?

I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
130bcd.

--
gplama

Donga
April 25th 07, 02:10 AM
On Apr 24, 11:20 pm, "Resound" > wrote:
> "Donga" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> > I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
> > of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
> > eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
> > cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
> > it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
> > combinations.
>
> > I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> > Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> > these?
>
> > Thanks muchly.
>
> > Donga
>
> Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some stuffhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Resound - I'll try to work out how to differentiate between ISO
and JIS - but yes, you could assume the French would never use
anything Japanese!

Donga

Donga
April 25th 07, 08:15 AM
On Apr 24, 11:20 pm, "Resound" > wrote:
> "Donga" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> > I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
> > of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
> > eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
> > cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
> > it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
> > combinations.
>
> > I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> > Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> > these?
>
> > Thanks muchly.
>
> > Donga
>
> Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some stuffhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Resound. The BB I had with the Stronglights is a Shimano BB-50
and in some browsing I found other Stronglights that do use the JIS -
can you believe the French doing this?

I just had a lucky break - went to pick up the frame from my friend,
and he kindly threw in a set of DuraAce splined 165 cranks and a pair
of Chorus brake levers. Now, all I need is a ring and some pedals, the
wheels to arrive, and a build. Ooh ah I'm excited! (Lotte says I'm
f*cking mad).

Donga

Resound[_2_]
April 25th 07, 08:56 PM
"Donga" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 24, 11:20 pm, "Resound" > wrote:
>> "Donga" > wrote in
>> oglegroups.com...
>> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>>
>> > I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
>> > of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
>> > eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
>> > cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
>> > it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
>> > combinations.
>>
>> > I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
>> > Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
>> > these?
>>
>> > Thanks muchly.
>>
>> > Donga
>>
>> Well the BB for the Stronglights would (I'm guessing) be an ISO square
>> taper on the grounds that it's exceedingly unlikely to be JIS (Japanese
>> standard). I was going to suggest the Sugino RD cranksets but I checked
>> first and it looks like they're JIS. Track cranks tend to be ISO but you
>> pay for the fact that they're intended for racing. I don't know of any
>> Octalink cranks that are single ring. Sheldon sells some
>> stuffhttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/130-single.html- Hide quoted
>> text -

> Thanks Resound. The BB I had with the Stronglights is a Shimano BB-50
> and in some browsing I found other Stronglights that do use the JIS -
> can you believe the French doing this?
>
> I just had a lucky break - went to pick up the frame from my friend,
> and he kindly threw in a set of DuraAce splined 165 cranks and a pair
> of Chorus brake levers. Now, all I need is a ring and some pedals, the
> wheels to arrive, and a build. Ooh ah I'm excited! (Lotte says I'm
> f*cking mad).
>
> Donga

Score! If it's a usual sort of double ring road crankset rather than a track
crankset, you'll need shorter than standard bolts to mount the chainring
though.

Donga
April 26th 07, 04:28 AM
On Apr 25, 8:23 am, Joel Mayes > wrote:
> On 2007-04-24, Donga > wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> > I've picked up a road frameset with vertical drop-outs. I have a few
> > of the bits and pieces I need, and just snagged a set of wheels on
> > eBay with ENO hubs, so I'm nearly there. The wheelset included a 16
> > cog. I have an old 170 Stronglight crankset (obsolete 86 mm BCD), but
> > it has 40 and 50 rings and these don't yield optimal gear
> > combinations.
>
> Have you checked out wether TA still makes cranks with that BCD? They
> do still make a couple of obsolete sizes. If they do Greenspeed may be
> able to get a ring for you.
>
> If not any good quality crank set can be single speeded by removing a
> chain ring if you've got a set of single stack crank bolts.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel
>
> --
> Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
> | Low cost 2nd hand bikes www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre

Thanks for the tip, Joel. I had taken Harris Cycles statement of
'obsolete' at face value, but on your tip googled and found Spa Cycles
in UK seem to carry a full range of Stronglight 86 rings.

Donga

Donga
April 26th 07, 04:31 AM
On Apr 25, 8:52 am, gplama <gplama.2pk...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> > I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> > Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> > these?
>
> I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
> bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
> thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
> chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
> roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
> and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
> 130bcd.
>
> --
> gplama

Thanks for the tip - that is my plan. I expect to be on SS most of the
time and fixie only around my 'hood' until I'm confident ... and I
don't expect to be smashing it too hard for quite a while, so the road
crankset should last the distance.

Donga

Bleve
April 26th 07, 07:26 AM
On Apr 25, 8:52 am, gplama <gplama.2pk...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend on cranksets for a fixie/SS project, please?
>
> > I have two BBs in my box - a square taper for the Stronglights and an
> > Ultegra 6500 splined - so perhaps a crankset that mates with one of
> > these?
>
> I'm using a stripped 105 octalink crankset on my SS, so standard 130
> bcd, along with a Dura Ace BB (picked up for $20 from someone who
> thought it was shot!). I've stuck the 39 on the outside and used BMX
> chainring bolts to get a nice chain line. Anyways - this is only a
> roadie SS, I'm not sure if it would be durable enough for a fixie..
> and its a total pain in the ass trying to find 'track' rings with
> 130bcd.

Sugino do them, stronglite do them, my T1 has bontrager (truvative)
cranks that are just road cranks.
I have the full swag of chainrings. 130PCD. Is it PCD or BCD
anyway? I see both in various brochures etc.
I've put a few watts through my crankset with no dramas thus far.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home