PDA

View Full Version : Bianchi carbon fork with no spacer above stem

peter gager
August 17th 03, 01:28 AM
I had a 2001 Bianchi XL frame with an all carbon Bianchi XL fork built
up by a local NYC shop (with a good reputation). The integrated HS is
stock Cane Creek. I noticed the shop did not put a spacer above the
stem and that the stem clamps pretty much flush with the top of
steerer. I know its generally recommended that a spacer of ca. 3mm
be placed on steerer above stem. Is there any reason this particular
Headset or fork would not require the extra spacer atop?
Also there is a spring under the top cap, surrounding the HS bolt,
down to the plug. This spring made it difficult to move one of the
spacers above the stem, as it doesnt compress all the way. Is this
spring necessary or can i chuck it? What is its function?
Also, the stack under the stem is around 1.5 inches. Too much?
thanks a lot.
peter

Neacalban1
August 17th 03, 03:29 AM
>I had a 2001 Bianchi XL frame with an all carbon Bianchi XL fork built
>up by a local NYC shop (with a good reputation). The integrated HS is
>stock Cane Creek. I noticed the

XL what? EV2, Boron?

I had a Bianchi XL Boron, 2000, with all carbon fork. it has a spacer on top
3-4 mm, I'd guess. I presume it needs to be there. it had a Chorus
HS,threadless, and the top cap and inside parts were Chorus. I had a lot of
trouble with it coming loose, and the shop installed a chris king top-cap,
although what they did inside the fork I'm not sure, although I've not not any
problems to speak of after that(except last year at an MS ride where the
adjustment had been right all week and the morning of the ride I got the bike
out of the car and it had loosened up.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 17th 03, 01:31 PM
peter-<< I noticed the shop did not put a spacer above the
stem and that the stem clamps pretty much flush with the top of
steerer. >><BR><BR>
<< Is there any reason this particular
Headset or fork would not require the extra spacer atop? >><BR><BR>

<< Also, the stack under the stem is around 1.5 inches. Too much? >><BR><BR>

We use 40mm for 1 1/8 inch steerers, 1 inch for 1 inch...if it's 1 inch
steerer, may be too much.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

peter gager
August 17th 03, 02:08 PM
Its an XL EV2 Alum.
The Headset is Cane Creek ZS-5, Tufram integrated cups,Zero-stack.
Does "zero-stack" mean no spacer above stem? Has anyone seen this
spring device?
Thanks,
PG

Bruce
August 17th 03, 09:17 PM
Why would you need a spacer, either above the stem or below the stem?
Besides for adjusting the height of the handlebars, is there a mechanical
reason for using a spacer?

-Bruce

"peter gager" > wrote in message
om...
> I had a 2001 Bianchi XL frame with an all carbon Bianchi XL fork built
> up by a local NYC shop (with a good reputation). The integrated HS is
> stock Cane Creek. I noticed the shop did not put a spacer above the
> stem and that the stem clamps pretty much flush with the top of
> steerer. I know its generally recommended that a spacer of ca. 3mm
> be placed on steerer above stem. Is there any reason this particular
> Headset or fork would not require the extra spacer atop?
> Also there is a spring under the top cap, surrounding the HS bolt,
> down to the plug. This spring made it difficult to move one of the
> spacers above the stem, as it doesnt compress all the way. Is this
> spring necessary or can i chuck it? What is its function?
> Also, the stack under the stem is around 1.5 inches. Too much?
> thanks a lot.
> peter

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home