PDA

View Full Version : DIY bike carrier roof racks

April 27th 07, 12:07 AM
Hi all,

sometime ago (maybe over 1 yr), someone posted a "design" for DIY bike
carrier roof racks. I have tried searching the archive for said
posting, with no luck.

I've got the axles and QR skewers, but what I'm pondering is how to
safely and securely connect the axle to the rack. I've got a couple
ideas, but I was hoping to make them removable so the racks aren't
limited to just carrying bikes.

Yes, I could use bolts, but that doesn't seem like a good idea when
most rack are tubular and will no doubt bend when tightening the nut.
Welding is a good option, but hardly removable.

So does anybody have the original "design" or any wonderful
suggestions??

Thanks,

Peter

TimC
April 27th 07, 12:22 AM
On 2007-04-26, (aka Bruce)
> sometime ago (maybe over 1 yr), someone posted a "design" for DIY bike
> carrier roof racks. I have tried searching the archive for said
> posting, with no luck.
> So does anybody have the original "design" or any wonderful
> suggestions??

Racks are one place where I wouldn't want to go the false economy
route.

Sure, you may save $100 over buying one, but have you tested your
design in all situations, like strong sidewinds and 100km/h
travelling? I'd hate to lose a bike in order for me to save a hundred
bucks.

--
TimC
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes. -- unknown

Donga
April 27th 07, 03:09 AM
On Apr 27, 9:07 am, " > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sometime ago (maybe over 1 yr), someone posted a "design" for DIY bike
> carrier roof racks. I have tried searching the archive for said
> posting, with no luck.
>
> I've got the axles and QR skewers, but what I'm pondering is how to
> safely and securely connect the axle to the rack. I've got a couple
> ideas, but I was hoping to make them removable so the racks aren't
> limited to just carrying bikes.
>
> Yes, I could use bolts, but that doesn't seem like a good idea when
> most rack are tubular and will no doubt bend when tightening the nut.
> Welding is a good option, but hardly removable.
>
> So does anybody have the original "design" or any wonderful
> suggestions??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Yes, space the racks to the distance between your brake hoods and your
saddle. Tip your bike over and lash it to the racks using a few sets
of toe straps - more redundancy for more expensive bikes. No need for
fancy, overpriced fixing systems.

Donga

Bleve
April 27th 07, 03:39 AM
On Apr 27, 9:07 am, " > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sometime ago (maybe over 1 yr), someone posted a "design" for DIY bike
> carrier roof racks. I have tried searching the archive for said
> posting, with no luck.
>
> I've got the axles and QR skewers, but what I'm pondering is how to
> safely and securely connect the axle to the rack. I've got a couple
> ideas, but I was hoping to make them removable so the racks aren't
> limited to just carrying bikes.
>
> Yes, I could use bolts, but that doesn't seem like a good idea when
> most rack are tubular and will no doubt bend when tightening the nut.
> Welding is a good option, but hardly removable.
>
> So does anybody have the original "design" or any wonderful
> suggestions??

I made mine out of some old front hubs, which I hit with an angle
grinder to flatten one side so they won't roll around, and then I
clamped them to el cheapo roof racks with exhaust mount u-bolts and
for redundancy, heavy gauge hoseclamps. Done a couple of thousand k's
with that combination, no worries. All up it cost me about $150,
including the el cheapo roof racks and the angle grinder.

I use the QR skewers to hold the front wheels, and an occy strap to
lash the back wheels to the other rack. Never had the slightest
problem with them. Can fit three bikes easily, 2 facing one way, one
backwards.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home