PDA

View Full Version : I need nuts!

Graeme Dods
April 27th 07, 12:55 PM
My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
that one from :-)

I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
"proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg

Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
them?

Cheers!

Graeme

DeF
April 27th 07, 02:03 PM
Graeme Dods wrote:
> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
> I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
> he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
> messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
> head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
> that one from :-)
>
> I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
> something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
> sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
> make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
> as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
> "proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
> which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
> them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
> haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
> http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg
>
> Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
> them?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Graeme

Don't know what they're called but I'm pretty sure I've seen things
like that in the "Fasteners" aisle of Bunnings.

Another option for a kids first "bike" is to get a two-wheeler and
remove the pedals. This allows for the little tacker to scoot
along with their feet and learn to steer that way. Worked for my
eldest and is slowly working for the next....

DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.

Graeme Dods
April 27th 07, 03:02 PM
On Apr 27, 9:03 pm, DeF >
wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote:
> > My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
> > I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
> > he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
> > messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
> > head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
> > that one from :-)
>
> > I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
> > something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
> > sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
> > make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
> > as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
> > "proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
> > which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
> > them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
> > haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
> >http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg
>
> > Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
> > them?
>
> > Cheers!
>
> > Graeme
>
> Don't know what they're called but I'm pretty sure I've seen things
> like that in the "Fasteners" aisle of Bunnings.

I was in that exact aisle earlier on this evening and didn't see them.
Mind you I was looking for coach bolts for a pair of stilts and
totally forgot about the nameless nuts, so they could well have been
there.

> Another option for a kids first "bike" is to get a two-wheeler and
> remove the pedals. This allows for the little tacker to scoot
> along with their feet and learn to steer that way. Worked for my
> eldest and is slowly working for the next....

I had considered that, but it's been a while since I made anything
useful and I'm currently in a productive/fiddling frame of mind! :-)

Cheers,

Graeme

April 27th 07, 03:45 PM
On Apr 27, 4:55 am, Graeme Dods > wrote:
>I need nuts! Options
> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked .

don't ask your 3 year old or alan e or marty wallace for nuts
because they don't have any.

April 27th 07, 03:47 PM
On Apr 27, 4:55 am, Graeme Dods > wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:55 am, Graeme Dods > wrote:
>I need nuts! Options
> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked .

don't ask your 3 year old or alan e or marty wallace for nuts
because they don't have any.

Skewer
April 28th 07, 12:12 AM
Graeme Dods wrote:
> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
> I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
> he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
> messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
> head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
> that one from :-)
>
> I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
> something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
> sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
> make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
> as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
> "proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
> which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
> them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
> haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
> http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg
>
> Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
> them?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Graeme

Could you use T-Nuts instead?
http://www.woodpeck.com/tnut.html

Admittedly the finish is not as good as the other fastener.
You would just need to grind each bolt/screw to finish flush or just
under the surface when tightened.

Pete.B

Pete.B

Skewer
April 28th 07, 12:48 AM
Skewer wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote:
>> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
>> I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
>> he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
>> messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
>> head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
>> that one from :-)
>>
>> I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
>> something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
>> sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
>> make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
>> as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
>> "proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
>> which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
>> them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
>> haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
>> http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg
>>
>> Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
>> them?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Graeme
>>

> Could you use T-Nuts instead?
> http://www.woodpeck.com/tnut.html
>
> Admittedly the finish is not as good as the other fastener.
> You would just need to grind each bolt/screw to finish flush or just
> under the surface when tightened.
>
> Pete.B

And just after sending that I found...
http://www.woodpeck.com/bronzeconnector.html
High-quality bronze Joint Connector Nut and Bolt

Don't know your location but have you tried Keables?
http://www.keable.com.au/products.htm

--
Pete.B

Plodder
April 28th 07, 12:50 AM
"Graeme Dods" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My 3 year old came up to me earlier in the week and asked "Daddy, can
> I have a bike please?" Obviously I was pretty chuffed, but then again
> he has been rather brain-washed to be pro-bike. Ah, the joys of
> messing with your kid's mind! He looks at the picture of the queen's
> head on coins and says "Look, a parasite" - can't think where he got
> that one from :-)
>
> I've been very taken by the "like-a-bike" style kids' wooden bikes but
> something in my mind screams "HOW MUCH!" every time I see them for
> sale. As these bikes are of very simple construction, I've decided to
> make one myself. I'd like to keep the bike as "kid's finger" friendly
> as possible and that means using similar threaded fasteners to the
> "proper" like-a-bikes. They're the same as the top-hat shaped nuts
> which you get on IKEA furniture etc. but I've not been able to find
> them anywhere and I don't know what they're called so my web searches
> haven't been successful. There's a picture of one here -
> http://www.likeabike.co.uk/cms-files/37-full-mother2.jpg
>
> Does anyone know what they're called or, better still, where I can get
> them?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Graeme

Might be better to get him a 12" bike and remove the pedals. That way he can
scoot around like on a 'likeabike' and, when he's got his balance, simply
reinstall the pedals. Worked for my parnter's kids (a few years ago now) and
for my 3 year-old nephew now. Saves the effort of building (or buying) a
'likeabike' which will become redundant quite quickly.

Cheers,

Frank

Graeme Dods
April 28th 07, 01:04 AM
On Apr 28, 7:48 am, Skewer > wrote:

> > Could you use T-Nuts instead?
> >http://www.woodpeck.com/tnut.html

Funnily enough I was thinking about those this morning but I think
you're right about the finish.

> And just after sending that I found...http://www.woodpeck.com/bronzeconnector.html
> High-quality bronze Joint Connector Nut and Bolt

That's just the thing! If I don't see any in Bunnings today I'll save
the hassle of running around and order some.

> Don't know your location but have you tried Keables?http://www.keable.com.au/products.htm

I'm in Perth but I'm certain there'll be a local place offering
similar products, the trouble is finding them. That's why I turned to
the all-knowing hive mind of aus.bicycle :-)

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme Dods
April 28th 07, 01:09 AM
On Apr 28, 8:04 am, Graeme Dods > wrote:
> On Apr 28, 7:48 am, Skewer > wrote:
> > And just after sending that I found...http://www.woodpeck.com/bronzeconnector.html
> > High-quality bronze Joint Connector Nut and Bolt
>
> That's just the thing! If I don't see any in Bunnings today I'll save
> the hassle of running around and order some.

Hmmm... just checked out the postage rates. $85 (US) is a worth a lot
of running around!

Graeme

DavidM
April 28th 07, 01:22 AM
"Graeme Dods" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'm in Perth but I'm certain there'll be a local place offering
> similar products, the trouble is finding them. That's why I turned to
> the all-knowing hive mind of aus.bicycle :-)

In Perth, I'm pretty sure that Hafele (maybe in Malaga?) and/or Howard
Silvers (somewhere near Welshpool?) will have them.

Cheers
David M

Graeme Dods
April 28th 07, 01:25 AM
On Apr 28, 7:50 am, "Plodder" > wrote:

> Might be better to get him a 12" bike and remove the pedals. That way he can
> scoot around like on a 'likeabike' and, when he's got his balance, simply
> reinstall the pedals. Worked for my parnter's kids (a few years ago now) and
> for my 3 year-old nephew now. Saves the effort of building (or buying) a
> 'likeabike' which will become redundant quite quickly.

That was my first thought but there's a couple of reasons why I'm
going down the route that I am;

- The front wheel on a normal kids bike is free to turn sideways (as
they should be) but I've seen a number of learner kids getting fairly
mangled when they turn round to shout "look at me!" and yank the
handlebars through 90 degrees. The wooden bike design can easily
restrict the turning angle to drastically reduce the chance of this.

- It keeps me off the streets :-) I've spent the best part of the last
year renovating our house and I'm getting pig sick of it so a few days
doing some other practical but fun work should be a nice break.

I'd thought of the redundancy factor, but we've got another one on the
way in July so whilst it may sit unused for a year or two it will
hopefully be resurrected at some point.

Graeme

Skewer
April 28th 07, 01:41 AM
Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Apr 28, 8:04 am, Graeme Dods > wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 7:48 am, Skewer > wrote:
>>> And just after sending that I found...http://www.woodpeck.com/bronzeconnector.html
>>> High-quality bronze Joint Connector Nut and Bolt
>> That's just the thing! If I don't see any in Bunnings today I'll save
>> the hassle of running around and order some.
>
> Hmmm... just checked out the postage rates. $85 (US) is a worth a lot
> of running around!
>
> Graeme

Bolts is heavy = expensive by airmail ;-)

Keables (Melb) is cheaper but has a minimum orders policy.
"**Non account clients; Min. charge $27.50 incl GST at counter; $38.50
incl GST C.O.D.'s** + freight min $11"
You could email them the images from like-a-bike and woodpeck to see if
they have the same thing in stock.

Can't say I remember seeing those type of fasteners in Bunnings but you
may have better luck.

Searle's would appear to be your fist stop locally:
Searle Fastener Sales Co
Unit 12 113 High Road Willetton WA 6155
p: (08) 94575444

Good luck
--
Pete.B

DavidM
April 28th 07, 10:05 AM
"DavidM" > wrote in message
> "Graeme Dods" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> I'm in Perth but I'm certain there'll be a local place offering
>> similar products, the trouble is finding them. That's why I turned to
>> the all-knowing hive mind of aus.bicycle :-)
>
> In Perth, I'm pretty sure that Hafele (maybe in Malaga?) and/or Howard
> Silvers (somewhere near Welshpool?) will have them.
>
> Cheers
> David M

Further to this, go to http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/tchff/tchff.asp
and look at catalogue page 367-368.

Häfele Australia Pty. Ltd.
29-33 Juna Drive
Malaga, WA, 6090
Tel: +61 (0) 8 9249 3833
Fax: +61 (0) 8 9249 3328

Cheers
David M

Friday
April 28th 07, 04:36 PM
DavidM wrote:
> "DavidM" > wrote in message
>> "Graeme Dods" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>> I'm in Perth but I'm certain there'll be a local place offering
>>> similar products, the trouble is finding them. That's why I turned to
>>> the all-knowing hive mind of aus.bicycle :-)
>> In Perth, I'm pretty sure that Hafele (maybe in Malaga?) and/or Howard
>> Silvers (somewhere near Welshpool?) will have them.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David M
>
> Further to this, go to http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/tchff/tchff.asp
> and look at catalogue page 367-368.
>
> Häfele Australia Pty. Ltd.
> 29-33 Juna Drive
> Malaga, WA, 6090
> Tel: +61 (0) 8 9249 3833
> Fax: +61 (0) 8 9249 3328
>
> Cheers
> David M

Hey Dave

Muja AB is shutting down. Units 123 are off and M4 will shut down as
soon as the coal in the bunker runs out, probably Monday. 41 years of
production! The quietness is weird.

Friday

DavidM
April 29th 07, 01:21 AM
"Friday" > wrote in message

> Hey Dave
>
> Muja AB is shutting down. Units 123 are off and M4 will shut down as soon
> as the coal in the bunker runs out, probably Monday. 41 years of
> production! The quietness is weird.

Interesting. 41 years was a pretty good run though...

Cheers
David M

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home