PDA

View Full Version : Top pull derailleur for Ultegra triple crank?

L. Smythe
August 19th 03, 04:49 AM
Has anyone successfully used any top pull fder on the Ultegra triple?

Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
operate a bottom pull fder? Was thinking of maybe a seat tube clamp with a
pulley on it so the cable comes down and around the pulley to the fder...

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 19th 03, 01:48 PM
L smythe-<< Has anyone successfully used any top pull fder on the Ultegra
triple? >><BR><BR>

Saches..but they are 'no mas'..

<< Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
operate a bottom pull fder? >><BR><BR>

Use a shimano e-clamp and then mount a 'cross' pulley onto it...we do this all
the time.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

L. Smythe
August 19th 03, 06:59 PM
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" > wrote in message
> << Is there any gizmo available to route a top pull cable so that it can
> operate a bottom pull fder? >><BR><BR>
>
> Use a shimano e-clamp and then mount a 'cross' pulley onto it...we do this
all
> the time.

Not sure what you mean, do you mean to use a fder clamp that goes on the BB?
And what is a 'cross' pulley? Very interested in getting this solution...

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 20th 03, 02:17 PM
L smyth-<< Not sure what you mean, do you mean to use a fder clamp that goes on
the BB?
And what is a 'cross' pulley? Very interested in getting this solution.
>><BR><BR>

A shimano e-clamp is the thingy for shimano mounted to the BB shell fders that
stabilized them. Use just the clamp that has a drill hole in it, Mount a
tyipcal fder cross pulley to it, mount assembly to the bottom of the seattube,
route the top pull cable down, around the pulley, attach to bottom pull front
der.-About $24 or so for both.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 28th 03, 02:25 PM
bikefixr-<< But why not just use a top-pull front
deraileur? They do work. If you use a thumb-shifter, move the cable to the
inner position on the pinch bolt to get greater throw. >><BR><BR>

With ultegra or any other road STI, with a MTB top pull front der, they do not
work.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Michael
August 31st 03, 08:08 AM
I am in similar situation to the original poster, but I'm using a
double crankset, and I'd prefer to use a top-pull derailleur rather
than a pulley with a bottom-pull (and I don't need to worry about STI,
as I'm using bar end shifters).

My problem is finding a modern top-pull top-swing derailleur that will
shift either a 48/38 or 48/36 set of double chainrings. I tried the
current XT, but since it is designed for mega-9 drivetrains, it
wouldn't work (the inner cage rubbed against the smaller ring when
shifted to the large ring).

I've heard that the old style (pre compact-drive, mega 9) derailleurs
will work with these larger chainrings, but does anyone know which
particular derailleurs will work for me? Better yet, does anyone know
where I can find one?

The specs of the recent XTR front derailleurs indicate a large ring
capacity of 48 teeth-- does that mean this derailleur (the M952) would
work better for my application than the current XT?

TIA
Michael

In article >, Qui si parla
Campagnolo > wrote:

> bikefixr-<< But why not just use a top-pull front
> deraileur? They do work. If you use a thumb-shifter, move the cable to the
> inner position on the pinch bolt to get greater throw. >><BR><BR>
>
> With ultegra or any other road STI, with a MTB top pull front der, they do not
> work.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Michael
August 31st 03, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your help, Peter! However, I do NOT plan on using STI, so
will these mountain derailleurs just not work for 48/38 or 48/36 double
setups, even with bar end shifters?

Michael

In article >, Qui si parla
Campagnolo > wrote:

> michael-<< My problem is finding a modern top-pull top-swing derailleur that
> will
> shift either a 48/38 or 48/36 set of double chainrings. I tried the
> current XT, but since it is designed for mega-9 drivetrains, it
> wouldn't work (the inner cage rubbed against the smaller ring when
> shifted to the large ring). >><BR><BR>
>
> It's not completely the arc of the cage but also the arm length and dimension
> of the fder, that makes it not compatible with road STI.
>
> No MTB front der will really work..need a Sachs road top pull, NOS now, tough
> to find.
>
> michael<< The specs of the recent XTR front derailleurs indicate a large ring
> capacity of 48 teeth-- does that mean this derailleur (the M952) would
> work better for my application than the current XT? >><BR><BR>
>
> See above,, not compatible with road STI
>

> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home