PDA

View Full Version : Inner Tube Failures

C Arnold
August 19th 03, 04:56 AM
In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
stem pulled out of the inner tube. The tubes have Presta valves and I'm
using a Park Tool tire pump. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
Besides being annoying it is starting to get expensive. And yes I'm
releasing the lock before trying to pull the pump fitting off of the
valve stem.

Kurd
August 19th 03, 05:19 AM
Try putting a drop of oil into the end of the pump hose, to lube and moisten
the seal. Works for me when my pump doesnt want to let go.

-kurd

"C Arnold" > wrote in message
> In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
> stem pulled out of the inner tube. The tubes have Presta valves and I'm
> using a Park Tool tire pump. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
> Besides being annoying it is starting to get expensive. And yes I'm
> releasing the lock before trying to pull the pump fitting off of the
> valve stem.

Werehatrack
August 19th 03, 05:41 AM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:56:59 -0500, C Arnold > may
have said:

>In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
>stem pulled out of the inner tube. The tubes have Presta valves and I'm
>using a Park Tool tire pump. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
>Besides being annoying it is starting to get expensive. And yes I'm
>releasing the lock before trying to pull the pump fitting off of the
>valve stem.

How old were they? Both the same age and brand, by any chance?

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Sorni
August 19th 03, 06:41 AM
"Kurd" ,net> wrote in message
gy.com...
> Try putting a drop of oil into the end of the pump hose, to lube and
moisten
> the seal. Works for me when my pump doesnt want to let go.

Wish you'd told me that two weeks ago, before I cut off the tip of my thumb
pulling the pump head away from the valve! (Rookie roadie + bladed spokes =
blood stains on shop rags.)

Bill "much older and wiser now ;-)" S.

David Kunz
August 19th 03, 09:37 AM
C Arnold wrote:
> In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
> stem pulled out of the inner tube. The tubes have Presta valves and I'm
> using a Park Tool tire pump. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
> Besides being annoying it is starting to get expensive. And yes I'm
> releasing the lock before trying to pull the pump fitting off of the
> valve stem.

Some brands seem prone to this.
If you have more of the same tube, leave the locking nut loose or skip
it completely -- it'll help some.
Try a different brand next time :).

David

Steve Hambley
August 19th 03, 04:13 PM
>C Arnold wrote:
>> In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
>> stem pulled out of the inner tube. The tubes have Presta valves and I'm
>> using a Park Tool tire pump. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?
>> Besides being annoying it is starting to get expensive. And yes I'm
>> releasing the lock before trying to pull the pump fitting off of the
>> valve stem.

I see a lot of people twisting and turning the pump fitting to get it off..that
puts a lot of strain on the valve. After releasing the lock..use both thumbs
on either side of the fitting and pop it straight off.
Steve

Tom
August 19th 03, 11:48 PM
Beware of the Performance tube sale bargain. I bought several at $2 each
and three had quick flats with holes or splits and one came loose from the
stem just like yours. From now on, I'm buying quality tubes.

Tom

Larry Fieman
August 20th 03, 01:06 AM
> In less than a week's time I've had two inner tubes fail when the valve
> stem pulled out of the inner tube.

Likely a manufacturers defect.
Larry

richard
August 24th 03, 01:48 PM
Yeah, they come "10 for $20". I had 2 punctures (happens to any) and 6
valve stem pull-outs (too many for coincidence)!

"Tom" > wrote in
:

> Beware of the Performance tube sale bargain. I bought several at $2
> each and three had quick flats with holes or splits and one came loose
> from the stem just like yours. From now on, I'm buying quality tubes.
>
> Tom

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home