PDA

View Full Version : Re: 9 cogs on an 8 speed hub?

Per Elmsäter
August 19th 03, 08:21 PM
scott wrote:
> Techtards:
>
> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally
> 8-speed. I would like to use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta,
> which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
> cassette for the hub?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Scott

I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the
cassette ( SRAM) on without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that
wobbled, not the LBS ;)
Anyhow he solved this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't
figured out what this had to do with going from eight to ninespeed though.
Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an eight speed.

--
Perre

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 20th 03, 01:34 PM
scott-<< I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally
8-speed. I would like to use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta,
which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
cassette for the hub? >><BR><BR>

Si.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

basjan
August 24th 03, 09:37 PM
Not possible with Campy though...

"scott" > wrote in message
om...
> Techtards:
>
> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally
> 8-speed. I would like to use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta,
> which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
> cassette for the hub?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Scott

Qui si parla Campagnolo
August 25th 03, 01:50 PM
basjan-<< Not possible with Campy though...
>><BR><BR>

Won't be possible with 2004 DA either-9 cogs onto the new 10s only freehub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302