PDA

View Full Version : Really freakin frustrating, Red lights

MikeyOz[_55_]
May 7th 07, 02:35 AM
Went out for a gentle roll late this morning.... couple of riders went
past me, happened to come across one of the riders again at the 2nd
last set of lights before getting to Mordy. From a previous ride I
just happened to recognize who this rider was, was a well known
footballer, coached a side unsucessfully for a few years and lives in
Brighton.

Pedestrian lights, lights change, lady with 2 dogs start crossing, I
have already started breaking ages ago to slowly approach and stop at
the lights, previously mentioned person just blissfully, cruises
straight through the lights, wearing iPod, both ear buds in place and
carries on, while the lady unleashes at him. Did not flinch, just kept
on going, probably did not hear a word of it.

I just kind of drop my head and sigh, lady looks at me and says,
"Thanks for stopping" I can't remember what I replied back.

I just don't understand.... I mean its not like there was a pack of
riders, fairly slow pace, cruising along and its just like, "Ehh I'm
not stopping, can't be stuffed"....

After everything thats happened along that road.... people just don't
seem to give a sh&t, I know its not all riders.... but for every 99
people that might stop at a red light, the 1 that goes through is all
everyone sees.

--
MikeyOz

flyingdutch[_39_]
May 7th 07, 11:20 AM
'spud'?

--
flyingdutch

hippy[_32_]
May 10th 07, 10:28 PM
MikeyOz Wrote:
> Went out for a gentle roll late this morning.... couple of riders went
> past me, happened to come across one of the riders again at the 2nd
> last set of lights before getting to Mordy. From a previous ride I
> just happened to recognize who this rider was, was a well known
> footballer, coached a side unsucessfully for a few years and lives in
> Brighton.

This happens all the time in London. Mostly gumby commuters, some
racer-types, lots of couriers.

I've changed my tune though after riding here for 2yr. I now run some
reds.
The 'gaining respect from drivers' thing doesn't gel with me any more.
The 'safer following the law' isn't necessarily true either.

Think of it this way: If 20 people run a slow red and I choose to stop,
drivers are gonna start expecting people to run that light. So if I'm
stopping, I'm now the odd one out and more likely to get smacked
because they are assuming I'm gonna jump the red.

I don't blast through reds, narrowly missing side-traffic (I save that
move for buses) I slow right down and proceed with caution. I'd rather
run a red now and clear the intersection, getting myself in front and
visible by the stream of traffic than remain stuck to the front car,
only to be cained by the one behind it.

Also, pedestrians here cross whenever and wherever they want, often
blind to traffic so it's not like you're any more likely to meet one at
a crossing - they're usually 15m back jay-walking through the cars,
getting ready to pop up in front of you as you filter to the front.

hippy
"you've changed"

--
hippy

EuanB[_64_]
May 10th 07, 11:57 PM
hippy Wrote:
> This happens all the time in London. Mostly gumby commuters, some
> racer-types, lots of couriers.
>
> I've changed my tune though after riding here for 2yr. I now run some
> reds.
> The 'gaining respect from drivers' thing doesn't gel with me any more.
> The 'safer following the law' isn't necessarily true either.
>
> Think of it this way: If 20 people run a slow red and I choose to stop,
> drivers are gonna start expecting people to run that light. So if I'm
> stopping, I'm now the odd one out and more likely to get smacked
> because they are assuming I'm gonna jump the red.
>
> I don't blast through reds, narrowly missing side-traffic (I save that
> move for buses) I slow right down and proceed with caution. I'd rather
> run a red now and clear the intersection, getting myself in front and
> visible by the stream of traffic than remain stuck to the front car,
> only to be cained by the one behind it.
>
> Also, pedestrians here cross whenever and wherever they want, often
> blind to traffic so it's not like you're any more likely to meet one at
> a crossing - they're usually 15m back jay-walking through the cars,
> getting ready to pop up in front of you as you filter to the front.
>
> hippy
> "you've changed"
The attitude of London cyclists has recently been given print in one of
the broadsheets of the UK: http://tinyurl.com/yp3s3x

*Jumping red lights is plain sensible*

*City commuter Paul Nuki says cyclists who break the law (carefully)
survive longer*

Imagine you are pedalling along a one-way, three-lane trunk road in
central London at rush hour. You come to a halt at a set of red lights,
as do the hundreds of agitated, overheated, mobile phone-distracted
drivers behind you. Ahead the road branches into two, but before it
splits it is joined by four new lanes swinging in from the right.

EuanB

MikeyOz[_58_]
May 11th 07, 12:05 AM
I understand all of these arguments..... I still don't argee with them,
but anyway.

The situation I stated did not include anything like this! Pedestrian
lights where a pedestrian has pressed the button and is waiting to
cross, actually starts crossing and the cyclist just decides to go
through anyway. There were no trucks, no 4 lanes of traffic, no
agitated drivers behind.

It was a case of the cyclist deciding, screw it, I am going to go
through the lights I cannot be bothered stopping.

Some mornings if I am out very early, when I am going through a green
light, I actually have to look out for cars going through the red
lights, not bothering to stop. No one around, no problems.

And yes sorry to take so long to get back FD, yes you were correct on
your guess :)

We were talking about a VERY quite calm day down Beach Road around
Mentone, not peak hour London.

--
MikeyOz

Bleve
May 11th 07, 02:46 AM
On May 11, 9:05 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2qe...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I understand all of these arguments..... I still don't argee with them,
> but anyway.
>
> The situation I stated did not include anything like this! Pedestrian
> lights where a pedestrian has pressed the button and is waiting to
> cross, actually starts crossing and the cyclist just decides to go
> through anyway. There were no trucks, no 4 lanes of traffic, no
> agitated drivers behind.
>
> It was a case of the cyclist deciding, screw it, I am going to go
> through the lights I cannot be bothered stopping.
>
> Some mornings if I am out very early, when I am going through a green
> light, I actually have to look out for cars going through the red
> lights, not bothering to stop. No one around, no problems.

You have to do that at every intersection anyway, if you want to stay
alive.

MikeyOz[_62_]
May 11th 07, 03:06 AM
Bleve Wrote:

> You have to do that at every intersection anyway, if you want to stay
> alive.

yeah but "usually" during daylight hours they don't do it, but in the
wee early hours..... some mornings it is almost like there are no red
lights.

--
MikeyOz

hippy[_40_]
May 15th 07, 11:47 PM
MikeyOz Wrote:
> It was a case of the cyclist deciding, screw it, I am going to go
> through the lights I cannot be bothered stopping.

Ah, yes, unfortunately this happens here a lot as well.
Just search for RLJ on any british cycling forum. Eeek!

hippy

--
hippy

AndrewJ
May 16th 07, 02:00 AM
On May 7, 11:35 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2q6...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Went out for a gentle roll late this morning.... couple of riders went
> past me, happened to come across one of the riders again at the 2nd
> last set of lights before getting to Mordy. From a previous ride I
> just happened to recognize who this rider was, was a well known
> footballer, coached a side unsucessfully for a few years and lives in
> Brighton.
>
> Pedestrian lights, lights change, lady with 2 dogs start crossing, I
> have already started breaking ages ago to slowly approach and stop at
> the lights, previously mentioned person just blissfully, cruises
> straight through the lights, wearing iPod, both ear buds in place and
> carries on, while the lady unleashes at him. Did not flinch, just kept
> on going, probably did not hear a word of it.
>
> I just kind of drop my head and sigh, lady looks at me and says,
> "Thanks for stopping" I can't remember what I replied back.
>
> I just don't understand.... I mean its not like there was a pack of
> riders, fairly slow pace, cruising along and its just like, "Ehh I'm
> not stopping, can't be stuffed"....
>
> After everything thats happened along that road.... people just don't
> seem to give a sh&t, I know its not all riders.... but for every 99
> people that might stop at a red light, the 1 that goes through is all
> everyone sees.
>
> --
> MikeyOz

bookim danno - what else can you do?

(yes, i've been known to run a red light, but not anymore)

monsterman[_52_]
May 16th 07, 06:23 AM
I've been trying to convert red light runners on my daily commute over
the last week - with varying degrees of success. If I have a good hard
look at myself, I think I started doing this as a way of venting some
serious work-related frustrations / finding some conflict (its a jungle
out there people), but in general my intentions were good ... .. ..

2 have actually ended up apologising and recognising the possibility
that their actions may influence the attitude of drivers to cyclists at
large. Of the other 2, one told me get broader shoulders and that he
wouldn't change any time soon. The other bellowed at me to fsck myself
- he was a complete crazyman - incandescent with rage. I've seen
nothing like this for years. He had such wild raged-out eyes and
popping forehead veins that I allowed myself to get quite excited at
the very real prospect of witnessing spontaneous combustion. OK, I did
egg him on and bait him for a few hundred metres. He tried and tried
but just couldn't hold my wheel (I had heaps in reserve). Alas, he
turned off before I got to see him to flare into a pile of smoking
ashes.

--
monsterman

monsterman[_53_]
[...]

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 19th 07, 08:39 AM
On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:23:06 +1000, monsterman wrote:

> wouldn't change any time soon. The other bellowed at me to fsck myself
> - he was a complete crazyman - incandescent with rage.

I've found that ticking off other cyclists for (most commonly) running red
lights and riding without lights usually gets an abusive response. I
suspect that they do it at least partially in order to start fights.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home