PDA

View Full Version : So why so many dead tubes?

Zebee Johnstone
May 9th 07, 06:55 AM
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

Bean Long
May 9th 07, 08:00 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Zebee

Sounds like something sharp but very small stuck in the tyre. Perhaps a
shard of glass which is only penetrating through to the tube when it's
under load. Next time you run your fingers around the inside of the
tyre, try pushing it almost inside out at the point where you are
getting the flats and you might find something sharp barley poking
through. Also inspect any cuts on the outside of the tyre around the
area.Sounds like something has made its way in and has stuck!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

John Henderson
May 9th 07, 08:02 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
> the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
> isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might
> be the tyre, but I can't find anything wrong with it in that
> area. I'm getting paranoid though, might be time for that
> Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show
> up 3-6 days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
> wrong?

A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.

John

Theo Bekkers
May 9th 07, 08:06 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Sand or glass?
Porcupine?

Theo

rooman[_136_]
May 9th 07, 08:19 AM
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Zebee
is it aligned with a spoke hole?, is a spoke protruding down just that
teensie bit, enough to pierce on a pinch flat type situation?... if
you can change the tyre as well as the tube, on the same rim that will
eliminate that, if it doesnt recur.

otherwise out with the magnifying glass and bright lights....good
luck...

gotta be a pane in the glass ( sorry, couldnt resist that)

--
rooman

monsterman[_46_]
May 9th 07, 08:41 AM
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Zebee
fingernails? :D

--
monsterman

Paul Yates
May 9th 07, 11:04 AM
"John Henderson" > wrote in message
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>>
>> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
>> the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
>> isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might
>> be the tyre, but I can't find anything wrong with it in that
>> area. I'm getting paranoid though, might be time for that
>> Marathon I've been promising myself.
>>
>> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show
>> up 3-6 days after the tube is changed.
>>
>> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
>> wrong?
>
> A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
> a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
> find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
> felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.
>
> John

One of those wires gave me a punture last night before I even got out of the
carpark at work (unless it was a wossy looking stape). Grrr.

Aeek
May 9th 07, 11:20 AM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:02:28 +1000, John Henderson
> wrote:

>Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>>
>> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near
>> the valve but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it
>> isn't the tube or the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might

>> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing
>> wrong?

1. you ride a bent 2. you've been unfaithful, just got a shiny new
bike and were thinking about that when the problem started. A bike
scorned is a bike puncturing?

>A "Michelin wire"? That's a tiny piece of steel belt shed from
>a very bald car tyre. If it's short enough, it may be hard to
>find enbedded in the tyre casing. Longer pieces are easily
>felt by running fingers around the inside of the tyre.

or from street sweepers? I had one, just a tiny nick on the outside,
apparently nothing in it and the inside smooth. Flexed the tyre and
prodded with a pin and found the wire. Couldn't pull it out,
eventually pushed it through with the pin.

Bleve
May 9th 07, 02:09 PM
On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

As mentioned, there'll be something very small, probably.

Turf the tyre. It'll save you angst and time.

Tex
May 9th 07, 02:29 PM
"Zebee Johnstone" > wrote in message
>I am having a rash of flat tyres.

Welcome to my world. Almost none for the first 8-9 months after buying my
trike, then and endless bloody sequence of punctures

Dave
May 9th 07, 02:32 PM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 05:55:32 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Get out of the saddle when you go over bumps :-)

More seriously, it sounds like some fine wire or similar in the tyre.
Might not show up on inspection, but it's enough to push through the tube
slowly. Try rotating the tyre on the rim and see if the holes move.

Or just replace the tyre.

--
Dave Hughes |
'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout

Zebee Johnstone
May 9th 07, 09:39 PM
In aus.bicycle on 9 May 2007 06:09:34 -0700
Bleve > wrote:
> On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
>> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> As mentioned, there'll be something very small, probably.
>
> Turf the tyre. It'll save you angst and time.

I think you are right. Marathon here I come!

Zebee

Duncan
May 9th 07, 11:54 PM
On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> days after the tube is changed.
>
> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Zebee

Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
rotation.

AndrewJ
May 10th 07, 12:16 AM
On May 10, 8:54 am, Duncan > wrote:
> On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
>
> > I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>
> > 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
> > but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
> > the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
> > find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
> > though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>
> > Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
> > days after the tube is changed.
>
> > What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>
> > Zebee
>
> Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
> rotation.

Sounds like a wire to me. Maybe so small that you actually can't see
it. You
need to rub around there with your fingers. I've had this, and it is
almost impossible
to find by sight.

How it gets through the tyre is really a mystery to me.

Bean Long
May 10th 07, 12:50 AM
Duncan wrote:
> On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
>> I am having a rash of flat tyres.
>>
>> 4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
>> but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
>> the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
>> find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
>> though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.
>>
>> Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
>> days after the tube is changed.
>>
>> What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Zebee
>

> Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
> rotation.

Or preferably get rid of the tyre rather than hoping to get a flat at
another spot on the tube!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying