PDA

View Full Version : Best track pump

Donga
May 10th 07, 06:37 AM
Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
that will last rather longer.

Cheers.

Donga

ghostgum[_11_]
May 10th 07, 06:53 AM
Donga Wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
> until
> it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
> that will last rather longer.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Donga

We had a Giyo 52V (I think) pump from Torpedo7 which lasted for almost
a year. The bottom plate is wobbly, even after I replaced the screw
that fell out. After a year of use the smart head didn't depress the
schrader valve, and it leaked air when putting it on a presta valve.

We then got a replacement pump donated by a nearby bike shop. It's
branded "Giant", but it looks like it is exactly the same pump. We'll
see how long this one lasts.

I would have liked to try a Topeak pump at work. I've got one at home
and I'd rate it better than the Giyo. You can buy replacement Topeak
pump heads.

I guess the problem is infrequent users who don't know how to use the
pump head, and who don't know the difference between a presta and
schrader valve. One cyclist had to explain to another how you use the
clamp to stop the pump head coming off the valve. They were attempting
to push it on harder to prevent it coming off.

Our pump gets used every 1-2 days. A chain prevents it from moving
more than 2m from its home.

--
ghostgum

Bleve
May 10th 07, 07:18 AM
On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga > wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
> it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
> that will last rather longer.

We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
Nothing else survives heavy use.

Donga
May 10th 07, 07:45 AM
On May 10, 4:18 pm, Bleve > wrote:
> On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga > wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> > at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
> > it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
> > that will last rather longer.
>
> We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
> wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
> Nothing else survives heavy use.

Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
LBS. Any experience with these?

Donga

Bleve
May 10th 07, 08:24 AM
On May 10, 4:45 pm, Donga > wrote:
> On May 10, 4:18 pm, Bleve > wrote:
>
> > On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga > wrote:
>
> > > Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> > > at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
> > > it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
> > > that will last rather longer.
>
> > We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
> > wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
> > Nothing else survives heavy use.
>
> Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
> LBS. Any experience with these?

Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
wants to save $15 ...

Donga
May 10th 07, 09:44 AM
On May 10, 5:24 pm, Bleve > wrote:
> On May 10, 4:45 pm, Donga > wrote:

> > > We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
> > > wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
> > > Nothing else survives heavy use.
>
> > Thanks, these do look good. One member is keen to get a Tioga from her
> > LBS. Any experience with these?
>
> Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
> wants to save $15 ...

.... I agree. One of those very insistent people ... and she remembers
like an elephant the old Silcas that seem very low tech (even if they
work).

Donga

ghostgum[_12_]
May 10th 07, 10:03 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> On May 10, 3:37 pm, Donga > wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> > at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
> until
> > it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new
> one,
> > that will last rather longer.
>
> We use the Silca 'pista'. They last forever, replaceable bits that
> wear out (valve seal, pump gasket).
> Nothing else survives heavy use.

One shop recommended these, but I was told that Silca didn't come with
a smart head. So the pump has one fitting on the end, and you have to
screw on an adapter for the other valve style. I thought there would
be too much risk of the adapter going missing.

If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

--
ghostgum

suzyj[_17_]
May 10th 07, 12:14 PM
I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
has had a lifetime of abuse.

--
suzyj

gravelmuncher[_46_]
May 10th 07, 12:43 PM
suzyj Wrote:
> I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
> the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
> has had a lifetime of abuse.

I've got a Giant pump which I reckon was pretty good value, and is
still pumpin' - but geez...15 YEARS !!??!! You gotta be happy with
that !?!

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Peter
May 10th 07, 03:56 PM
suzyj > wrote:

> I second the Silva Pista. I've had one for about fifteen years. Yes,
> the chuck only works with Presta valves. But it works beautifully, and
> has had a lifetime of abuse.

We're an all Schraeder valve family and our Silca works fine on all our
bikes at home. The only problem I've had with the pump is finding a
replacement part for the plastic washer that sits behind the leather cup
inside the pump. Someone on a.b provided one, otherwise they are
imposible to find in Australia.

Like most people, I'd vote for a Silca. 10 years of experience says it's
easy to use for anyone from age 7 upwards.

hippy[_28_]
May 10th 07, 09:43 PM
Donga Wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
> it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
> that will last rather longer.

Silca. None of this new fangled plastic crap.
Alas, mine is in Oz. It's been replaced with a cheap, but so far
effective, Planet-X one

hippy
pump up the jam, pump it up

--
hippy

Theo Bekkers
May 11th 07, 01:29 AM
hippy wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
>> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
>> until it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a
>> new one, that will last rather longer.

For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and you're
there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall. (Can't
trust bikies).

Theo

ghostgum[_13_]
May 11th 07, 01:57 AM
Theo Bekkers Wrote:

> For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and
> you're
> there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall.
> (Can't
> trust bikies).

Are you talking about a little compressor (the size you carry in the
boot of a car), or a big one? I would have thought the danger is from
those whose transportation is large enough to carry a compressor.

The chain and padlock cost almost as much as a cheap track pump.

--
ghostgum

Theo Bekkers
May 11th 07, 02:42 AM
ghostgum wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>>
>> For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and
>> you're
>> there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall.
>> (Can't
>> trust bikies).
>>

> Are you talking about a little compressor (the size you carry in the
> boot of a car), or a big one? I would have thought the danger is from
> those whose transportation is large enough to carry a compressor.

A littly you can carry of with one arm. Unfortunately honest people are
getting more scarce.

Theo

Bleve
May 11th 07, 02:44 AM
On May 11, 10:29 am, "Theo Bekkers" > wrote:
> hippy wrote:
> > Donga Wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
> >> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year
> >> until it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a
> >> new one, that will last rather longer.
>
> For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50 and you're
> there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor it to a wall. (Can't
> trust bikies).

Electricity's free and carbon-neutral, compressors don't risk blowing
tyres off rims when mis-used, I've seen plenty of presta valve
fittings for airlines in my time too .. yeah. great idea.

Maybe they can just drive to work?

> Theo

Theo Bekkers
May 11th 07, 02:57 AM
Bleve wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> For $100 you can buy a compressor. Get everyone to chuck in $2.50
>> and you're there. You may want a few more $$ for a chain to anchor
>> it to a wall. (Can't trust bikies).

> Electricity's free and carbon-neutral,

No, but people have been known to fart when using manual pumps.

> compressors don't risk blowing tyres off rims when mis-used,

You can't help stupidity, and even cyclists will learn :-) On the other
hand, a cheap compressor won't do much more than 120 lbs anyway.

> I've seen plenty of presta valve fittings for airlines in my time too

There's one on the end of the airline of my pump. Geez, there's one on the
other pump as well. Wow, there's one on the little short airline I made up
for the compressor too. Bloody things are everywhere.

> .. yeah. great idea.

Glad you liked it mate.

> Maybe they can just drive to work?

Nah.

Theo

BT Humble
May 11th 07, 05:05 AM
ghostgum wrote:
> If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...

....if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
valves... :-)

BTH

Theo Bekkers
May 11th 07, 05:07 AM
BT Humble wrote:
> ghostgum wrote:
>> If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...
>
> ...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
> valves... :-)

Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
gram!!

Theo

Friday
May 11th 07, 06:25 AM
hippy wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a workshop-quality track pump? In our bike room
>> at work (40 users) we had a $90 Topeak that lasted around a year until
>> it shat itself internally and in the 'smart head'. We need a new one,
>> that will last rather longer.
>>

> Silca. None of this new fangled plastic crap.
> Alas, mine is in Oz. It's been replaced with a cheap, but so far
> effective, Planet-X one
>
> hippy
> pump up the jam, pump it up

I bought a el cheapo plastic pump to replace my Silca that had never
really worked properly and the plastic one keeps going and going and
going. It has a nice little gauge and connections for both types of
valves. The Chinese are getting pretty clever now.

Friday

roshea[_45_]
May 11th 07, 06:37 AM
Keep everyone (apart from the obligatory misers) happy:

Silca track pump + Topeak Smarthead = reliable pump with no fuffing
around for different valve types.

--
roshea

rooman[_143_]
May 11th 07, 08:33 AM
roshea Wrote:
> Keep everyone (apart from the obligatory misers) happy:
>
> Silca track pump + Topeak Smarthead = reliable pump with no fuffing
> around for different valve types.
tried that but found the Smarthead wasnt so smart and often fluffed its
task on the Prestas ( which wasnt noice).... so decided time to go
straight Presta for everything...and keep an adaptor for Schrader
visitors.
Even my old Roadster, which is non Presta, has Woods valves, which are
neat, they are the size of Schrader but neck down to Presta so I can
use the Silca Pista Track Pump anyway.
Silca Pista....one great pump...fuss free...delivers the goods.

--
rooman

BT Humble
May 11th 07, 11:10 AM
Theo Bekkers wrote:
> BTHumble wrote:
> > ghostgum wrote:
> >> If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...
>
> > ...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
> > valves... :-)
>
> Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
> gram!!

I thought you weren't interested in holy wars, old boy? ;-)

BTH

Plodder
May 11th 07, 11:49 AM
"Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> BT Humble wrote:
>> ghostgum wrote:
>>> If you could have two pumps, one for schader and one for presta ...
>>
>> ...if you could get everyone to see reason, and use schraeder
>> valves... :-)
>
> Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an extra
> gram!!
>
> Theo

Often wonered about that. The rear shock on my duallie runs around 200psi
and has a schraeder valve. My tyres run around 35psi and have presta... ?

me

Blue Heeler
May 11th 07, 12:04 PM
Plodder wrote:

> > Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh
> > an extra gram!!
> >
> > Theo
>
> Often wonered about that. The rear shock on my duallie runs around
> 200psi and has a schraeder valve. My tyres run around 35psi and have
> presta... ?

And the air over oil spring/shock unit on the back of my BMW is up
around the 250~300psi mark and it uses.........A schraeder.

--

Gags
May 11th 07, 12:09 PM
"Bleve" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
> wants to save $15 ...

I have got a Silca at home that is now 6 years old and gets used every
morning before I ride to work. About 3 months ago I managed to blow out the
leather washer when I was putting my track bike's singles up to 160 psi but
I have since replaced it and the pump is good as new again.

I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work (the
model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
hassles.

The only area where they lack is when I have to pump up mtb tyres from
scratch as the trade off of having a narrow body on the pump to achieve high
pressures is that you end up with reduced volume of air. If you are getting
a pump and are only going to use it for mtb tyres then I would recommend
getting something with a fatter body on it.

Gags

Donga
May 11th 07, 11:02 PM
On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" > wrote:
> "Bleve" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Dunno, we use Silca's because they last forever. If some punter
> > wants to save $15 ...
>
> I have got a Silca at home that is now 6 years old and gets used every
> morning before I ride to work. About 3 months ago I managed to blow out the
> leather washer when I was putting my track bike's singles up to 160 psi but
> I have since replaced it and the pump is good as new again.
>
> I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work (the
> model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
> it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
> hassles.
>
> The only area where they lack is when I have to pump up mtb tyres from
> scratch as the trade off of having a narrow body on the pump to achieve high
> pressures is that you end up with reduced volume of air. If you are getting
> a pump and are only going to use it for mtb tyres then I would recommend
> getting something with a fatter body on it.
>
> Gags

As you guessed, the application is to pump up every variety of bike/
tire. As for using the thing properly, I posted simple instructions
but that doesn't help people from using it the complete reverse of
correctly - sheesh!

The opinion here overwhelmingly is to get the Silca, but I think I'm
going to give the money to our user who insists on the Tioga, along
with the advice in this thread, and see what she does.

Donga

Absent Husband
May 12th 07, 10:06 AM
On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" > wrote:

> I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work (the
> model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
> it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
> hassles.
>
> Gags

This is the model that I have - have had it working for almost 15
years!!

Now here is a question. The end won't stay on the valve anymore by
itself - I have to hold it on with the toes of my left foot, while I
have my right foot on the 'base' of the pump while I, ummm, pump.

Is that normal?! Or should I be able to get the thing repaired,
whatever, so that it holds itslef on the tyre valve again....??

Cheers,
Abby (hope that made sense!!)

Gags
May 12th 07, 02:18 PM
"Absent Husband" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" > wrote:
>>
>> I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at work
>> (the
>> model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side of
>> it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without any
>> hassles.
>>
>> Gags
>
> This is the model that I have - have had it working for almost 15
> years!!
>
> Now here is a question. The end won't stay on the valve anymore by
> itself - I have to hold it on with the toes of my left foot, while I
> have my right foot on the 'base' of the pump while I, ummm, pump.
>
> Is that normal?! Or should I be able to get the thing repaired,
> whatever, so that it holds itslef on the tyre valve again....??
>
> Cheers,
> Abby (hope that made sense!!)

I am pretty sure that you can get a replacement rubber washer for inside the
"end bit" of the pump or it might be just as easy to replace the entire
valve head.........these guys have them for $28...
http://www.kennedydirect.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=181

Gags

Theo Bekkers
May 14th 07, 01:17 AM
BT Humble wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Schraeder valves don't hold high pressure as well. And they weigh an
>> extra gram!!

> I thought you weren't interested in holy wars, old boy? ;-)

I love wars, particularly if they involve words, not weapons. However, the
ones involving deities are the most futile.

Theo

slaw[_5_]
May 14th 07, 01:23 AM
Absent Husband Wrote:
> On May 11, 9:09 pm, "Gags" > wrote:
> >
> > I also have an older model Silca that I keep in the locker room at
> work (the
> > model with black plastic handle and only has a foot rest on one side
> of
> > it) - this one is about 10 years or so old and still works without
> any
> > hassles.
> >
> > Gags
>
> This is the model that I have - have had it working for almost 15
> years!!
>
> Now here is a question. The end won't stay on the valve anymore by
> itself - I have to hold it on with the toes of my left foot, while I
> have my right foot on the 'base' of the pump while I, ummm, pump.
>
> Is that normal?! Or should I be able to get the thing repaired,
> whatever, so that it holds itslef on the tyre valve again....??
>
> Cheers,
> Abby (hope that made sense!!)
Following a link from another thread, I find these tips.
http://www.m-gineering.nl/techdexg.htm Scroll down to Tip 2:

The sealing ring in Presta valveheads is a consumable. And the hose
usually starts blowing of the valve at the most inconvenient moments.
Pumping tires with one hand on the pump, using the other to prevent the
pumphead from blowing of is possible but not very convenient. I prefer a
quick fix:

- unscrew the valvehead and remove the rubber sealing ring
- wrap a piece of masking tape around the rubber ring
- refit the sealing ring

--
slaw

Absent Husband
May 14th 07, 11:15 AM
Thanks slaw!! That is unbelievably helpful!! :)

Cheers,
Abby

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home