PDA

View Full Version : Australian design award for bike lamp

Travis
May 12th 07, 12:29 PM
I saw on television that an Australian designed LED bike lamp has just
been one of the winners of an Australian design award. I Googled for
it and got this: http://www.enews.standards.org.au/cat.asp?cat=1&contentid=131

I didn't catch the name/make of the lamp though. Does anyone know
which one it was... and where we can get one?

Travis

Parbs
May 12th 07, 12:50 PM
Travis wrote:
> I saw on television that an Australian designed LED bike lamp has just
> been one of the winners of an Australian design award. I Googled for
> it and got this: http://www.enews.standards.org.au/cat.asp?cat=1&contentid=131
>
> I didn't catch the name/make of the lamp though. Does anyone know
> which one it was... and where we can get one?

Knog

You need to work on your google-fu

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=4&applicationID=462

Parbs

Russell Lang
May 12th 07, 12:54 PM
"Travis" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I saw on television that an Australian designed LED bike lamp has just
> been one of the winners of an Australian design award. I Googled for
> it and got this: http://www.enews.standards.org.au/cat.asp?cat=1&contentid=131
>
> I didn't catch the name/make of the lamp though. Does anyone know
> which one it was... and where we can get one?

Knog Gator

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=4&applicationID=462

I'm impressed. To get that number of lumens from two LEDs requires the Cree XR-E. Knog got a
product to market and got an award within 8 months after the LED was released! I'm guessing that
they changed from a Luxeon III to Cree XR-E quite late in the design process :-) I particularly
like the spot/wide beam option. I thought about doing that, but with my available construction
methods it would have looked ugly.

cfsmtb[_175_]
May 12th 07, 02:05 PM
Parbs Wrote:

> You need to work on your google-fu
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2gnvz2

Didn't require google-fu while watching the tail-end of the news
segment, the design (and the designers name) instantly made me think of
Knog. Do like the tasty asymmetric design, although I'd have to see the
Gator to make a assessment over possibly choosing it over other light
systems (ie: currently looking around for a Vista replacement)

--
cfsmtb

Travis
May 12th 07, 03:34 PM
On May 12, 7:50 pm, Parbs > wrote:

> You need to work on your google-fu
>
> http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=4&applic...
>
> Parbs

Ta. Anyone know where they can be bought and how much they would
cost?

Travis

John Henderson
May 12th 07, 09:30 PM
Travis wrote:

> I saw on television that an Australian designed LED bike lamp
> has just been one of the winners of an Australian design
> award. I Googled for it and got this:
> http://www.enews.standards.org.au/cat.asp?cat=1&contentid=131
>
> I didn't catch the name/make of the lamp though. Does anyone
> know which one it was... and where we can get one?

http://www.knog.com.au

Click on "get knog' for contact details, "download knogalogue"
for versions available. No prices though.

John

DaveB
May 13th 07, 12:02 AM
John Henderson wrote:

> http://www.knog.com.au
>
> Click on "get knog' for contact details, "download knogalogue"
> for versions available. No prices though.
>
> John

Some great looking stuff there. Love the look of the handlebar bag
although without seeing prices I still suspect it is all a bit out of
budget for me. :(

DaveB

Resound[_2_]
May 13th 07, 03:49 AM
"DaveB" > wrote in message
u...
> John Henderson wrote:
>>
>> http://www.knog.com.au
>>
>> Click on "get knog' for contact details, "download knogalogue"
>> for versions available. No prices though.
>>
>> John
>
> Some great looking stuff there. Love the look of the handlebar bag
> although without seeing prices I still suspect it is all a bit out of
> budget for me. :(
>
> DaveB

I did find one catalogue that lists it at £210! A bit rich for my blood.

cfsmtb[_177_]
May 13th 07, 04:47 AM
John Henderson Wrote:

> http://www.knog.com.au

Think Knog are trying too hard with the overall marketing concept about
veal farms and Lily Allen. Isn't it about nifty bicycle accessories? Oh
sorry, it's *branding*. Silly me.

--
cfsmtb

John Henderson
May 13th 07, 05:39 AM
cfsmtb wrote:

> John Henderson Wrote:
>>
>> http://www.knog.com.au
>
> Think Knog are trying too hard with the overall marketing
> concept about veal farms and Lily Allen. Isn't it about nifty
> bicycle accessories? Oh sorry, it's *branding*. Silly me.

Glad you explained it - was over my head!

John

gplama[_111_]
May 13th 07, 06:34 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Think Knog are trying too hard with the overall marketing concept about
> veal farms and Lily Allen. Isn't it about nifty bicycle accessories? Oh
> sorry, it's *branding*. Silly me.

Lily Allen FTW!

:)

--
gplama

SomeGuy[_47_]
May 13th 07, 07:10 AM
> I did find one catalogue that lists it at £210! A bit rich for my blood.

If it's more than $200 I'd be getting an Ay-Up instead. If it's less
though, might be worthwhile getting one. The totally contained design
with no mounting clamp left on the bike is great too.

--
SomeGuy

Bleve
May 13th 07, 03:01 PM
On May 12, 11:05 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2qh...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Parbs Wrote:
>

> > You need to work on your google-fu
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/2gnvz2
>
> Didn't require google-fu while watching the tail-end of the news
> segment, the design (and the designers name) instantly made me think of
> Knog. Do like the tasty asymmetric design, although I'd have to see the
> Gator to make a assessment over possibly choosing it over other light
> systems (ie: currently looking around for a Vista replacement)

for what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the ay-up lights, they've
replaced my old vistas. The bar mount is the best I've seen - it
doesn't eat much real-estate, while the knog one uses a -lot- of your
bars.

Theo Bekkers
May 14th 07, 01:12 AM
Resound wrote:
> "DaveB" wrote

>> Some great looking stuff there. Love the look of the handlebar bag
>> although without seeing prices I still suspect it is all a bit out of
>> budget for me. :(

> I did find one catalogue that lists it at £210! A bit rich for my
> blood.

Do you even know how much one of those Australian Design Awards costs. Oh,
you thought they were free?

Theo

rooman[_147_]
May 14th 07, 02:50 AM
SomeGuy Wrote:
> If it's more than $200 I'd be getting an Ay-Up instead. If it's less
> though, might be worthwhile getting one. The totally contained design
> with no mounting clamp left on the bike is great too.
Prices quoted by Knog at interbike last year were ( in USD)

The *105 model* (US$149.99 RRP) pairs a 1W LED with standard white LED
beacon with 4-cell NiMH battery pack 4.5hr burn time high .

A *305 model* (US$299.99 RRP) adds 3W LED an additional pair of NiMH
cells .

The *605* (US$399.99 RRP) adds another 3W LED extra-high capacity
8-cell Li-ion battery run time 3hr at high setting.

--
rooman

rooman[_149_]
May 14th 07, 09:54 AM
rooman Wrote:
> Prices quoted by Knog at interbike last year were ( in USD)
>
> The *105 model* (US$149.99 RRP) pairs a 1W LED with standard white LED
> beacon with 4-cell NiMH battery pack 4.5hr burn time high .
>
> A *305 model* (US$299.99 RRP) adds 3W LED an additional pair of NiMH
> cells .
>
> The *605* (US$399.99 RRP) adds another 3W LED extra-high capacity
> 8-cell Li-ion battery run time 3hr at high setting.
ummm... errr this gator is one you may not want ....

'[image: http://riannanworld.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/gator.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/yr96xh)

--
rooman

Travis
May 14th 07, 03:13 PM
On May 12, 7:50 pm, Parbs > wrote:
> Travis wrote:
> > I saw on television that an Australian designed LED bike lamp has just
> > been one of the winners of an Australian design award. I Googled for
> > it and got this:http://www.enews.standards.org.au/cat.asp?cat=1&contentid=131
>
> > I didn't catch the name/make of the lamp though. Does anyone know
> > which one it was... and where we can get one?
>
> Knog
>
> You need to work on your google-fu

Never having come across the phrase "google-fu" before it took me a
moment to get it, on my first reading I imagined it said in a Mr T
voice...

Shut up fu!

Travi

Parbs
May 14th 07, 09:24 PM
SomeGuy wrote:
>> I did find one catalogue that lists it at £210! A bit rich for my blood.
>
> If it's more than $200 I'd be getting an Ay-Up instead. If it's less
> though, might be worthwhile getting one. The totally contained design
> with no mounting clamp left on the bike is great too.

Australian pricing will look something like this

Model APPROX. RRP
Gator 105 $ 199.00
Gator 305 $ 349.00
Gator 605 $ 499.00