PDA

View Full Version : RR: ATTA Diggers Rest (13/05/07)

gplama[_112_]
May 13th 07, 11:36 AM
From laying in a ditch broken to a podium place in a week, woohoo! - I'd
like to thank Australian Unity, Epworth Hospitals (Richmond and Box
Hill), whatever painkillers I'm currently on. ;)

40.7km/h average, main target achieved.. I ended up with 2nd place
overall in the 20km event. Lots of room to improve! My jaw was on the
ground at the bling floating around like the fully dimpled Zipp wheel
decked out bike... I can't imagine the kind of training and commitment
it would take to justify that kind of purchase - and imagine how... oh
screw it, who cares what they have, its what they DO with it! :)

Nice warm up in the carpark... see YouTube: http://tinyurl.com/26gctr
then an easy roll to the start line. Off and racing - my first catch
was just after the 'dip' - then I picked off a few more before the
roundabout. 15:15 to the roundabout, not happy with that, the head wind
was a killer. Smoking along the straight section on the way back, slight
tail wind and cranking along at 50km/h while holding a good HR. Back
into the dip and full steam climbing out (250m or so at around 5-6%).
Out of the saddle for 100m of it, but that hurt a little more than
usual. Finish line in sight at around 27mins - all out from there -
100m sprint to the line - yep that hurt.

HR graph is a perfect flat-line just where it should have been, with a
slight bump at the end and hitting the days max HR just over the line.

Improvements - Skin suit, real TT wheels, more training, more bone
healing.

My follow up appointment with the surgeon is on Thursday, I'll be sure
to tell him about how well his handy work holds up.. and I'll take the
pictures to prove it... ;)

Ess took a bite of the big one and was spotted chewing handlebars in
the 40km event!

cheers,
lama

--
gplama

Bleve
May 13th 07, 02:56 PM
On May 13, 8:36 pm, gplama <gplama.2qi...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> From laying in a ditch broken to a podium place in a week, woohoo! - I'd
> like to thank Australian Unity, Epworth Hospitals (Richmond and Box
> Hill), whatever painkillers I'm currently on. ;)

Are those drugs on any banned list, Llama?

gplama[_113_]
May 13th 07, 11:11 PM
Bleve Wrote:
> Are those drugs on any banned list, Llama?

*wiki search...* "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug".... damn, I
should have asked for the Operación Puerto approved treatment!

--
gplama

Bleve
May 13th 07, 11:26 PM
On May 14, 8:11 am, gplama <gplama.2qj...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>
> > Are those drugs on any banned list, Llama?
>
> *wiki search...* "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug".... damn, I
> should have asked for the Operación Puerto approved treatment!

The definitive list is here :

http://www.asada.gov.au/

gplama[_114_]
May 14th 07, 12:01 AM
Tick - VOLTAREN (DICLOFENAC EC)
Tick - Panadeine Forte
Cross - Endone

I chose to take the Voltaren over the Endone... based on the fact that
the Voltaren was 8hr (Endone 4hr) and one of the possible side effects
was anorexia, an appealing 'feature' to someone who likes hills and
needs to lose weight! ;)

Cancel the press conference, I'm clean.

--
gplama

Bleve
May 14th 07, 01:13 AM
On May 14, 9:01 am, gplama <gplama.2qj...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Tick - VOLTAREN (DICLOFENAC EC)
> Tick - Panadeine Forte
> Cross - Endone
>
> I chose to take the Voltaren over the Endone... based on the fact that
> the Voltaren was 8hr (Endone 4hr) and one of the possible side effects
> was anorexia, an appealing 'feature' to someone who likes hills and
> needs to lose weight! ;)
>
> Cancel the press conference, I'm clean.

:)

It is important to be sure. Remember what happened to Shane Perkins,
one of the juniors that went over to the junior worlds in the US, took
something that here, is ok, but there, with an identical brand name
and product name, it had a banned steroid in it. He got stripped of
his medals, but not sanctioned, as it was deemed an honest mistake.

gplama[_115_]
May 14th 07, 01:34 AM
Bleve Wrote:

> It is important to be sure.

Yep, I was surprised they'd given me Endone... I told everyone along
the way "I need this pinned, I _have_ to race bikes!"... yet there was
no heads up on the prescribed meds in competition. I guess it always
comes down to ones own responsibility of what goes into the body.

and speaking of.. time for a coffee!

--
gplama

warrwych[_45_]
May 14th 07, 01:40 AM
gplama Wrote:
> Yep, I was surprised they'd given me Endone... I told everyone along the
> way "I need this pinned, I _have_ to race bikes!"... yet there was no
> heads up on the prescribed meds in competition. I guess it always
> comes down to ones own responsibility of what goes into the body.
>
> and speaking of.. time for a coffee!

They wouldn't bother unless they are sports surgeons. And the ASAD/WADA
listings can change regularly. I have trained my GP and my
chiro/naturopath (who competes in kickboxing) and they give me the
heads up on active ingredients. I always double check anyway.

Not sure if you are a legend or plain loco crazy racing on Sunday - at
least it was an ITT and minimal risk of falling in a bunch. Your mother
would have had kittens I am sure. :p But... Well done Lama !! Bet it
was good to be on the bike :D

--
warrwych

monsterman[_51_]
May 15th 07, 04:47 AM
warrwych Wrote:
> I have trained my GP and my chiro/naturopath (who competes in
> kickboxing) and they give me the heads up on active ingredients. I
> always double check anyway.

If hope if anyone feels they have to kick six colours of living sh!t
out of me, its your chiro/naturopath - or at least someone trained to
treat my injuries :p

--
monsterman

Google