PDA

View Full Version : Beach Road (Warning)

MikeyOz[_64_]
May 15th 07, 10:23 AM
I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for
anybody else reading be on the look-out

Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were
single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us
from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars
and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork
of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it
upright.

So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on
North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday
morning.

All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly
Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.

--
MikeyOz

The Double Zero
May 15th 07, 11:42 AM
MikeyOz Wrote:
> I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for
> anybody else reading be on the look-out
>
> Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were
> single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us
> from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars
> and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork
> of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it
> upright.
>
> So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on
> North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday
> morning.
>
> All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly
> Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.Had an incident happen on the Great Ocean road on the way to Lorne, only
it was raw eggs being hurled at us.
Unbelieveable as to what people will do to us for no real reason
whatsoever.

--
The Double Zero

MikeyOz[_65_]
May 15th 07, 12:19 PM
The Double Zero Wrote:
> Had an incident happen on the Great Ocean road on the way to Lorne, only
> it was raw eggs being hurled at us.
> Unbelieveable as to what people will do to us for no real reason
> whatsoever.

was the first time my brother has had anything hurled at him, freaked
him out quite a bit..... unfortunately not my first time.... sure it
won't be the last either... 1 step closer to getting that camera

"Troglodytes"

--
MikeyOz

May 15th 07, 01:43 PM
On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:23:52 +1000, MikeyOz > wrote:

> I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for
> anybody else reading be on the look-out
>
> Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were
> single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us
> from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars
> and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork
> of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it
> upright.
>
> So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on
> North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday
> morning.
>
> All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly
> Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.

Even though no damage was done, report it to the Police.

Dancier[_10_]
May 15th 07, 02:39 PM
Yep, gutless wonders at work but they sh&t themselves when they realise
there's a red light in front of them and you're closing in on them,
especially if there's a few in the pack.

--
Dancier

dgarry[_6_]
May 16th 07, 11:35 PM
Dancier Wrote:
> Yep, gutless wonders at work but they sh&t themselves when they realise
> there's a red light in front of them and you're closing in on them,
> especially if there's a few in the pack.

I had a little red Hyundai Getz throw some stuff out the window of the
car on the same stretch of road recently .. I couldn't catch up with
them but I got their number plate and reported them to the EPA for
littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

--
dgarry

Munro
May 17th 07, 03:45 AM
Had the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago and fell off. I got
the rego number, reported it to the police along with averbal damages
claim and 6 months later got a cheque from the guy for $1500.

Ahhh.. sweet justice

--
Munro

Duncan
May 17th 07, 08:09 AM
On May 17, 8:35 am, dgarry <dgarry.2qp...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

yes.. and talking on the phone whilst driving is illegal, as is not
indicating, stopping in a no stopping zone, driving in a transit lane
without the right number of people etc.etc..

but will they get prosecuted?

ProfTournesol[_21_]
May 17th 07, 11:06 AM
MikeyOz Wrote:
> I know a few people at least on here ride Beach Rd quite often and for
> anybody else reading be on the look-out
>
> Whilst riding back from Frankston on Sunday morning, brother and I were
> single file, me in front, we had a full bottle of water "flung" at us
> from a car heading in the other direction. I was down on the dropbars
> and it just missed by head and somehow unbelieveably hit the front fork
> of my brothers bike, instead of his spokes and he managed to keep it
> upright.
>
> So no damage done, however I chatted to someone else this morning on
> North Rd and apparently they had a very similar incident on said sunday
> morning.
>
> All I know about the car was that it was a White Hatchback (possibly
> Corolla) but I will be looking out for it, next time.
it makes an unpleasant change from tacks. tell the Police though.

--
ProfTournesol

coppershark[_4_]
May 18th 07, 12:28 AM
Duncan Wrote:
> On May 17, 8:35 am, dgarry <dgarry.2qp...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..
>
> yes.. and talking on the phone whilst driving is illegal, as is not
> indicating, stopping in a no stopping zone, driving in a transit lane
> without the right number of people etc.etc..
>
> but will they get prosecuted?

The point is that in Victoria you can dob in to the EPA anyone who
throws something from a car, it is classed as littering and the
registered owner gets the fine, irrespective of whether the driver or a
passenger did the offence.

As long as you manager to get the numberplate details get onto the EPA
Vic website and fill out a report including date and time, then the
driver gets an infringement in the mail. You must be prepared to give
evidence in court if the driver disputes the charge however but I would
guess that most of the time the driver does not contest it.

Mike

--
coppershark

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 19th 07, 08:38 AM
On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:35:37 +1000, dgarry wrote:

> I had a little red Hyundai Getz throw some stuff out the window of the
> car on the same stretch of road recently .. I couldn't catch up with
> them but I got their number plate and reported them to the EPA for
> littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..

Would your word be enough for a conviction if they chose to fight it?

rooman[_153_]
May 19th 07, 08:49 AM
Michael Warner Wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:35:37 +1000, dgarry wrote:
>
> > I had a little red Hyundai Getz throw some stuff out the window of
> the
> > car on the same stretch of road recently .. I couldn't catch up with
> > them but I got their number plate and reported them to the EPA for
> > littering .. I think it's something close to a $500 on a spot fine..
>
> Would your word be enough for a conviction if they chose to fight it?
>
> --
> Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw
show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med
bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage.... EPA might even decide bike
riders are good for their business outcomes and give us a sponsorship
for discounts on helmet cams!!! woohoo.

--
rooman

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 19th 07, 09:42 AM
On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:49:21 +1000, rooman wrote:

> show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med
> bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage....

Absolutely, if you had footage or witnesses. I just wondered whether
one person's word is enough. IWHT not, else you could ruin anyone
anyone you had a grudge against.

TimC
May 19th 07, 01:35 PM
On 2007-05-19, Michael Warner (aka Bruce)
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:49:21 +1000, rooman wrote:
>
>> show the court the trash, the busted bike, the scars and the med
>> bills...plus a bit of helmet cam footage....
>
> Absolutely, if you had footage or witnesses. I just wondered whether
> one person's word is enough. IWHT not, else you could ruin anyone
> anyone you had a grudge against.

That sounds like a plan!

I saw John Howard driving erratically last night, 40km/h over the
speed limit, throwing eggs at random road users.

--
TimC
And for the important things in life:

roses
May 20th 07, 01:22 AM
The southern parts of Melbourne are rife with boganalia.

My favourite incident was the passenger of a utility leaning out of
said ute to stretch over and pat me on the arse!

I know it's a good looking bum, but that's well and truly overstepping
the bounds of human decency.

cfsmtb[_186_]
May 20th 07, 03:33 AM
TimC Wrote:

> I saw John Howard driving erratically last night, 40km/h over the
> speed limit, throwing eggs at random road users.

That's nothing, I've been informed that the entire federal govmint
frontbench have been doing 'adult version' conga lines in a certain
Melbourne nightclub with staff from US & Chinese embassies. For favours
too.

--
cfsmtb

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 20th 07, 07:34 AM
On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:35:16 +1000, TimC wrote:

> I saw John Howard driving erratically last night, 40km/h over the
> speed limit, throwing eggs at random road users.

Now I know you're making it up. He prefers to power walk and throw
white pickets.

coppershark[_5_]
May 20th 07, 11:27 PM

--
coppershark

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 21st 07, 05:52 AM
On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:27:29 +1000, coppershark wrote:

> In the Courts the Magistrate/Judge and Jury listens to the evidence
> then decides who is most believable, the accused or the witnesses for
> the prosecution.

> So, dress conservatively and state your case as clearly as you can.
> Judges have a lot of experience at determining which of the parties is
> telling porkies!

Ok, you wear a suit, they wear a suit, you say they threw X out of the car,
they say they didn't. There are no witnesses, and no evidence that the X
you produce in court belonged to them. How could anyone possibly be
convicted on that basis?

MikeyOz[_67_]
May 21st 07, 06:46 AM
coppershark Wrote:
> Judges have a lot of experience at determining which of the parties is
> telling porkies!
> Mike

Amen.... that Judge Judy could see through Marget Thatchers Iron
Undies. But then again some of those people she gets in the court,
even I can tell which ones are lying.

--
MikeyOz

coppershark[_6_]
May 21st 07, 11:21 PM

--
coppershark

peterlip[_4_]
May 24th 07, 11:14 AM
Michael Warner Wrote:

> Ok, you wear a suit, they wear a suit, you say they threw X out of the
> car,
> they say they didn't. There are no witnesses, and no evidence that the
> you produce in court belonged to them. How could anyone possibly be
> convicted on that basis?
> We had bush fires not far from here a few years ago, which apparently
was started by a cigarette thrown from a car. After that I have
reported around 10 people for throwing cigarette butts from cars.
Never been challenged, so I assume they all received a $200 fine.
And yes it would come down to my word against theirs, but I suspect if
they had to appear in court, even if they get off, they won't litter
again. And if they do it again and get court, I bet they won't get
off.

--
peterlip

SteveA[_31_]
May 25th 07, 04:47 AM

--
SteveA

cfsmtb[_215_]
May 25th 07, 05:56 AM
SteveA Wrote:

> And, when you go to court, in addition to wearing a suit and tie, make
> sure that you are clean shaven, male, mid-40s, of northern European
> descent, university educated and over 186cm tall.

Well that's me fkd.

Let alone the gender change, where the hell am I gonna find a extra
31cm in height in a hurry?

--
cfsmtb

Bean Long
May 25th 07, 07:02 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>>
>> And, when you go to court, in addition to wearing a suit and tie, make
>> sure that you are clean shaven, male, mid-40s, of northern European
>> descent, university educated and over 186cm tall.
>
> Well that's me fkd.
>
> Let alone the gender change, where the hell am I gonna find a extra
> 31cm in height in a hurry?

There may be hope for me though. I just need to grow 22 cm in 10 years.

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Donga
May 25th 07, 07:39 AM
On May 25, 2:56 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2r4...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>

> > And, when you go to court, in addition to wearing a suit and tie, make
> > sure that you are clean shaven, male, mid-40s, of northern European
> > descent, university educated and over 186cm tall.
>
> Well that's me fkd.
>
> Let alone the gender change, where the hell am I gonna find a extra
> 31cm in height in a hurry?
>
> --
> cfsmtb

In your case, get a lawyer that fits the bill. Steve has discount
rates for A.B.-ers :DDD

Donga

SteveA[_32_]
May 25th 07, 09:00 AM
Donga Wrote:
> On May 25, 2:56 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2r4...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > SteveA Wrote:
> >

> > > And, when you go to court, in addition to wearing a suit and tie,
> make
> > > sure that you are clean shaven, male, mid-40s, of northern European
> > > descent, university educated and over 186cm tall.
> >
> > Well that's me fkd.
> >
> > Let alone the gender change, where the hell am I gonna find a extra
> > 31cm in height in a hurry?
> >
> > --
> > cfsmtb
>
> In your case, get a lawyer that fits the bill. Steve has discount
> rates for A.B.-ers :DDD
>
> Donga
It's all about the assumptions people make when they use stereo-typing
to make decisions.

Many years ago, I was doing some work in Sydney and I was staying at
the Sebel in Kings Cross. One night, a colleague and I were walking
back through the Cross to our hotel after work . My colleague was a
chap called Ken Wong. A tout at one of the strip clubs called out to
us, "Come on in. Twelve girls on stage all the time. Audience
participation..."

"And, sir, you can bring your foreign friend in as well."

Ken's answer - "Steve's not foreign, he's an Aussie like me."

(Wongie was a fourth generation Australian and at the time was my boss.
I pretty well fit the description in the courtroom stereotype. Ken's
response in the story above should be delivered in a broad Aussie
accent.)

SteveA

--
SteveA

Theo Bekkers
May 28th 07, 12:48 AM
cfsmtb wrote:

> Let alone the gender change, where the hell am I gonna find a extra
> 31cm in height in a hurry?

My brother is a ceiling fixer. He has a pair of 'shoes' taller than that.
http://www.perthplasterboard.com.au/products.asp
Dura-stilts

Theo

Theo Bekkers
May 28th 07, 12:50 AM
SteveA wrote:

> Many years ago, I was doing some work in Sydney and I was staying at
> the Sebel in Kings Cross. One night, a colleague and I were walking
> back through the Cross to our hotel after work . My colleague was a
> chap called Ken Wong. A tout at one of the strip clubs called out to
> us, "Come on in. Twelve girls on stage all the time. Audience
> participation..."
>
> "And, sir, you can bring your foreign friend in as well."
>
> Ken's answer - "Steve's not foreign, he's an Aussie like me."
>
> (Wongie was a fourth generation Australian and at the time was my
> boss. I pretty well fit the description in the courtroom stereotype.
> Ken's response in the story above should be delivered in a broad
> Aussie accent.)

So how was the 'show'?

Theo

Wilfred[_2_]
June 3rd 07, 06:32 AM
DAMN , I'm only 181cm tall. I guess if you don't believe someone less
than 186cm then I'd better 'fess up. I'm really only 180cm.

Wilfred
SteveA wrote:
> coppershark Wrote:
>>> Michael Warner Wrote:
>>> On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:35:37 +1000, dgarry wrote:
>>> [color=blue]
>>> Would your word be enough for a conviction if they chose to fight it?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> In the Courts the Magistrate/Judge and Jury listens to the evidence
>>> then decides who is most believable, the accused or the witnesses for
>>> the prosecution.
>>>
>>> So, dress conservatively and state your case as clearly as you can.
>>> Judges have a lot of experience at determining which of the parties is
>>> telling porkies!
>>>
>>> Mike> >
>> And don't embellish your evidence, even if you think it will help.
>> If you didn't see the person throw the item but it came from the area
>> of the car's window, say that you saw it come from the area of the
>> car's window. Defence lawyers just love picking up little things
>> like that to cast doubt on a prosecution witness's
>> honesty/accuracy/memory/eyesight.
>>
>> And, when you go to court, in addition to wearing a suit and tie,
>> make sure that you are clean shaven, male, mid-40s, of northern
>> European descent, university educated and over 186cm tall.
>>
>> SteveA

SteveA[_39_]
June 5th 07, 04:36 AM
Theo Bekkers Wrote:
> SteveA wrote:
>
> > Many years ago, I was doing some work in Sydney and I was staying at
> > the Sebel in Kings Cross. One night, a colleague and I were walking
> > back through the Cross to our hotel after work . My colleague was a
> > chap called Ken Wong. A tout at one of the strip clubs called out to
> > us, "Come on in. Twelve girls on stage all the time. Audience
> > participation..."
> >
> > "And, sir, you can bring your foreign friend in as well."
> >
> > Ken's answer - "Steve's not foreign, he's an Aussie like me."
> >
> > (Wongie was a fourth generation Australian and at the time was my
> > boss. I pretty well fit the description in the courtroom stereotype.
> > Ken's response in the story above should be delivered in a broad
> > Aussie accent.)
>
> So how was the 'show'?
>
> Theo
I've gotta say that 'audience participation' was not the attraction
that the spruiker thought it was. Certainly not for me. We walked on
by.

SteveA

--
SteveA