PDA

View Full Version : parking lockers & rails supplier

Peter
May 16th 07, 07:39 AM
I was at a meeting with Mackay City Council yesterday and they are
planning to install several bike lockers and rails in the city heart for
commuters/shoppers. However they need to find a supplier and the money
has to be spent by the end of the financial year. Does anyone have
contact details for a supplier of bicycle lockers and/or parking rails,
(preferably in Queensland to reduce transport costs)?

Peter

Donga
May 16th 07, 08:39 AM
On May 16, 4:39 pm, (Peter) wrote:
> I was at a meeting with Mackay City Council yesterday and they are
> planning to install several bike lockers and rails in the city heart for
> commuters/shoppers. However they need to find a supplier and the money
> has to be spent by the end of the financial year. Does anyone have
> contact details for a supplier of bicycle lockers and/or parking rails,
> (preferably in Queensland to reduce transport costs)?
>
> Peter

Peter

I suggest you contact Brisbane City Council, probably Scott or Alton
in the Active Transport Unit, phone 3403 8888 - they may have some
suggestions.

BCC has installed Cora racks quite widely, so these must be readily
available: www.cora.com.au.

BCC is about to install some 'Pods', but these are fairly elaborate
parking stations and will need a long lead time and a strong budget.

There are other brands around if you Google - but I couldn't locate
the one we have at work in Brissie. But I did find DERO http://www.dero.com/
- but Mackay probably doesn't want deros lying around the streets!
Some of these designs would be pretty easily knocked up in a council
workshop.

Donga

crb
May 16th 07, 09:27 PM
Have a chat with Bicycle Victoria.

Donga
May 16th 07, 11:20 PM
The ones we have at work in Brissie are Securabike
http://www.securabike.com/secureshop/category.php?cat_id=24
so they must be readily available. They work well - good stability and
security - they don't look cheap, with all that work in them.

Donga

Zebee Johnstone
May 16th 07, 11:50 PM
In aus.bicycle on 16 May 2007 15:20:20 -0700
Donga > wrote:
> The ones we have at work in Brissie are Securabike
> http://www.securabike.com/secureshop/category.php?cat_id=24
> so they must be readily available. They work well - good stability and
> security - they don't look cheap, with all that work in them.

Those and http://www.securabike.com/secureshop/category.php?cat_id=15
are what they are putting into Optus's new premises. The first kind
don't look too bent friendly and I don't like wheelbreakers generally.
I'm hoping the caged areas have the 2nd kind.

Zebee

rooman[_151_]
May 17th 07, 09:41 AM
Peter Wrote:
> I was at a meeting with Mackay City Council yesterday and they are
> planning to install several bike lockers and rails in the city heart
> for
> commuters/shoppers. However they need to find a supplier and the money
> has to be spent by the end of the financial year. Does anyone have
> contact details for a supplier of bicycle lockers and/or parking rails,
> (preferably in Queensland to reduce transport costs)?
>

> Peter
this is from Canada, but good a resource for your people with research
on do's and dont's and solution choices across all types... some links
to manufacturers who probably have close ties here in Oz ( including
Cora)
http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm85.htm

--
rooman

flyingdutch[_43_]
May 17th 07, 02:40 PM
just don't get 'em to do what they do here with the Train Station
lockers.
One locker dedicated to one person (once deposit is handed over) for 12
months.
$,000's for one bike/year. unbelieveable!!!

Seen plenty of CORA stuff around Qld.

checkout Sydeley's new
''Halo' Hoop' (http://www.bv.com.au/change-the-world/40293/)

--
flyingdutch

Peter
May 18th 07, 01:24 AM
flyingdutch > wrote:

> just don't get 'em to do what they do here with the Train Station
> lockers.
> One locker dedicated to one person (once deposit is handed over) for 12
> months.
> $,000's for one bike/year. unbelieveable!!!

From what I understand, the QR lockers on stations program has been a
great success because they dedicate one locker ot one individual for a
certain period of time, and they are free apart from a deposit.

I know it sounds like a lot of money but it's tiny compared with a car
parking space. I

f they weren't dedicated to an individual and that person turned up at
the station with nice great new bike, I don't think they would leave it
chained to a post for a day and hope it was undamaged at the end. Well
they might once, but I don't think they'd come back the next day.

Peter

flyingdutch[_44_]
May 19th 07, 07:37 AM
for the equivalent $$$ of 4 of those boxes you could do a secure cage
(access thru electronic swipe cards to registered users), with video
surveillance for 20+ bikes.

BV are currently doing a pilot for DoI at Eltham Railway station which
should service well over 20 riders (assuming not all 20 places will be
taken up by thge same bods every day...).
The advantage of this is (as opposed to the boxes) is that when 'the'
one person isn't using the space, someone else can. This flexibility
isn't avialable with the boxes. Not sure what it's like in Qld but the
vast majority of the boxes on our network sit empty

--
flyingdutch

rooman[_152_]
May 19th 07, 08:46 AM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> ( ...snipped stuff about Eltham trial etc..)
>
> Not sure what it's like in Qld but the vast majority of the boxes on
> our network sit empty
is anyone looking at those? , if they are needed there and can be
relocated to where they would be needed and used.
I am sure there are plenty of places that need more and can't get them
because they are elsewhere.

--
rooman

Google