PDA

View Full Version : Group rides in NW Boston suburbs

Jim West
May 21st 07, 12:10 AM
I'm going to be spending the summer in the northwest Boston suburb area,
working at Hanscom Air Force Base and living in an apartment in Woburn
beginning Memorial Day. I'd like to find a club or group to ride with
while I'm out there, evenings and weekends. I did a web search, and
unfortunately I don't know the area well enough to know what clubs are
nearby and what are 30 miles away. (I detest making long drives to ride
for all but special events.) Could someone point me to a place to get
started when I get out there? Basic information: I'm 46, did a couple
solo rides this week after work (20 and 32 miles in lightly rolling hills)
at 18.5 MPH average, and did a 50 mile ride with two competitive cat 3
racers this morning at 20 MPH average (even did most of my pulls for
the first 40 or so miles, but after that they dropped me at will.) So I'm
not real fast, but I'm not real slow either.

I seem to know of a bike shop in the area that is pretty good, of
course.

Jim

Ozark Bicycle
May 21st 07, 02:14 AM
On May 20, 6:10 pm, Jim West > wrote:
> I'm going to be spending the summer in the northwest Boston suburb area,
> working at Hanscom Air Force Base and living in an apartment in Woburn
> beginning Memorial Day. I'd like to find a club or group to ride with
> while I'm out there, evenings and weekends. I did a web search, and
> unfortunately I don't know the area well enough to know what clubs are
> nearby and what are 30 miles away. (I detest making long drives to ride
> for all but special events.) Could someone point me to a place to get
> started when I get out there? Basic information: I'm 46, did a couple
> solo rides this week after work (20 and 32 miles in lightly rolling hills)
> at 18.5 MPH average, and did a 50 mile ride with two competitive cat 3
> racers this morning at 20 MPH average (even did most of my pulls for
> the first 40 or so miles, but after that they dropped me at will.) So I'm
> not real fast, but I'm not real slow either.

Try the CRW, a great organization with a wonderful membership:

http://crw.org

also, the Nashoba Valley Pedalers:

http://www.nvpbike.org

> I seem to know of a bike shop in the area that is pretty good, of
> course.

Most CRW members will tell you the best shops are Belmont Wheelworks
in Belmont and The CycleLoft in Burlington.

Jim West
May 21st 07, 02:54 AM
On 2007-05-21, Ozark Bicycle > wrote:

> Try the CRW, a great organization with a wonderful membership:
>
> http://crw.org
>
> also, the Nashoba Valley Pedalers:
>
> http://www.nvpbike.org

Both look like good starting points...rides even leaving from Bedford.
I'll check them out when I get there. Thanks.

> Most CRW members will tell you the best shops are Belmont Wheelworks
> in Belmont and The CycleLoft in Burlington.

Heh, I had to dig out the map to find out where these 'burbs are, and
they do appear to be a bit closer than the one I was thinking of. I
do feel that I owe some business to one down in Newton, though, based on
the service I've received from their webmaster on this newsgroup in the
past.

Ozark Bicycle
May 21st 07, 03:14 AM
On May 20, 8:54 pm, Jim West > wrote:
> On 2007-05-21, Ozark Bicycle > wrote:
>

> > Try the CRW, a great organization with a wonderful membership:
>
> >http://crw.org
>
> > also, the Nashoba Valley Pedalers:
>
> >http://www.nvpbike.org
>
> Both look like good starting points...rides even leaving from Bedford.
> I'll check them out when I get there. Thanks.

What area of Woburn will you be in? There is probably some decent
riding surprisingly close to your front door. And riding out of
Hanscom itself ain't half-bad once you get off the busy roads. The
Bedford-Carlisle-Concord-Lincoln area offers some great riding
surprisingly close to a major metro area.

> > Most CRW members will tell you the best shops are Belmont Wheelworks
> > in Belmont and The CycleLoft in Burlington.
>
> Heh, I had to dig out the map to find out where these 'burbs are, and
> they do appear to be a bit closer than the one I was thinking of. I
> do feel that I owe some business to one down in Newton, though, based on
> the service I've received from their webmaster on this newsgroup in the
> past.

Jim West
May 21st 07, 04:02 AM
On 2007-05-21, Ozark Bicycle > wrote:

> What area of Woburn will you be in? There is probably some decent
> riding surprisingly close to your front door. And riding out of
> Hanscom itself ain't half-bad once you get off the busy roads. The
> Bedford-Carlisle-Concord-Lincoln area offers some great riding
> surprisingly close to a major metro area.

I think it is right off the town center, near where Winn Street, Main
Street, and Montvale Ave. all meet on the map. I don't have a final
address yet, but should in the next day or two (I hope!).

I live in Stillwater, Oklahoma (not too far from where you are, it
seems) where it is two or three miles to get out of town in any
direction. This is going to be some major cultural shock. :)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home