PDA

View Full Version : Found an old bike

gravelmuncher[_50_]
May 22nd 07, 09:24 AM
Actually, I was doing a job today for an old dude, and somehow the
conversation turned to cycling. He told me his son's old racer was
under the house and I could have it if I was interested. I took a look
under the house, and sure enough - a cool old racer! There's a cool
badge on the headtube - "STANDISH, South Australia (made in Japan)".
He said his son bought it in '82 or '83 and rode it until he bought a
car. It's got a suntour/shimano ensemble, "Kusuki" bars and a
"KASHIMAX" saddle. The downtube shifters are actually clamped on - not
bolted into bosses.

Anyone know anything about my cool find ??

gm

--
gravelmuncher

DeF
May 22nd 07, 09:42 AM
gravelmuncher wrote:
> Actually, I was doing a job today for an old dude, and somehow the
> conversation turned to cycling. He told me his son's old racer was
> under the house and I could have it if I was interested. I took a look
> under the house, and sure enough - a cool old racer! There's a cool
> badge on the headtube - "STANDISH, South Australia (made in Japan)".
> He said his son bought it in '82 or '83 and rode it until he bought a
> car. It's got a suntour/shimano ensemble, "Kusuki" bars and a
> "KASHIMAX" saddle. The downtube shifters are actually clamped on - not
> bolted into bosses.
>
> Anyone know anything about my cool find ??
>
> gm

I can tell you that Standish was a bike shop in Adelaide on
one of the streets running south from Rundle Mall (can't recall
which one). I got my 531 custom tourer built through them
in 1981. The frame is currently hanging from the shed wall
waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Can't decide
between resurrecting it as a tourer with modern gruppo and
wheels, turning it into a fixie or maybe getting a nexus-8
geared wheel.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

cfsmtb[_207_]
May 22nd 07, 10:58 AM
gravelmuncher Wrote:

> Anyone know anything about my cool find ??

If you want, subscribe to the oz-pushies list and ask there as well.
It's a great list to lurk on. ;)

cfsmtb

gravelmuncher[_51_]
May 22nd 07, 11:51 AM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> If you want, subscribe to the oz-pushies list and ask there as well.
> It's a great list to lurk on. ;)

Aww cool, thanks! :)

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Gumby
May 22nd 07, 12:35 PM
DeF > wrote:
> gravelmuncher wrote:
>> Actually, I was doing a job today for an old dude, and somehow the
>> conversation turned to cycling. He told me his son's old racer was
>> under the house and I could have it if I was interested. I took a look
>> under the house, and sure enough - a cool old racer! There's a cool
>> badge on the headtube - "STANDISH, South Australia (made in Japan)".
>> He said his son bought it in '82 or '83 and rode it until he bought a
>> car. It's got a suntour/shimano ensemble, "Kusuki" bars and a
>> "KASHIMAX" saddle. The downtube shifters are actually clamped on - not
>> bolted into bosses.
>>
>> Anyone know anything about my cool find ??
>> gm
>>

> I can tell you that Standish was a bike shop in Adelaide on
> one of the streets running south from Rundle Mall (can't recall
> which one). I got my 531 custom tourer built through them
> in 1981. The frame is currently hanging from the shed wall
> waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Can't decide
> between resurrecting it as a tourer with modern gruppo and
> wheels, turning it into a fixie or maybe getting a nexus-8
> geared wheel.
>
> DeF.

1981?
jeez thats b4 i wuz born

btw nexus8 is pretty bloody good, tho 45x20 i a leetle undergeared

cfsmtb[_210_]
May 22nd 07, 01:35 PM
Gumby Wrote:

> 1981?
> jeez thats b4 i wuz born

Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
here who could beat that!

--
cfsmtb

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 22nd 07, 02:17 PM
On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:42:42 +0800, DeF wrote:

> I can tell you that Standish was a bike shop in Adelaide on
> one of the streets running south from Rundle Mall (can't recall
> which one).

There's still a chain of Standish bike shops here, although AFAIK
they no longer sell anything under their own brand.

rooman[_159_]
May 22nd 07, 02:23 PM
cfsmtb Wrote:
> Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
> here who could beat that!
I knicked my big brother's beloved roadie...couldnt reach the pedals,
so I rode it through the front triangle, managed to stack it into a
bridge pylon at the bottom of a hill, dragged it home with a bloody
nose and a fat lip...the year 1960.... ssshhhh to this day he thinks it
was driven over by a drunk in our old mans pub and I'd just got into a
fisty after school... you learn to survive young when old bikes are the
subject of passion.... my mom knew straight away but said nought to him,
and to this day I never got given my first bike...had to buy the first
one, so it was a bit of a wait!

--
rooman

beerwolf[_2_]
May 22nd 07, 02:59 PM
rooman wrote:

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
>> here who could beat that!
> I knicked my big brother's beloved roadie...couldnt reach the pedals,
> so I rode it through the front triangle, managed to stack it into a
> bridge pylon at the bottom of a hill, dragged it home with a bloody
> nose and a fat lip...the year 1960.... ssshhhh to this day he thinks it
> was driven over by a drunk in our old mans pub and I'd just got into a
> fisty after school... you learn to survive young when old bikes are the
> subject of passion.... my mom knew straight away but said nought to him,
> and to this day I never got given my first bike...had to buy the first
> one, so it was a bit of a wait!

Same here, 1958, my dad's old Malvern Star, couldn't reach the pedals from
the seat, so put my leg through the triangle. Rode it that way to school
for 6 months until I could sit on the seat. Still couldn't touch the ground
though, got bumped off the seat and hit the top tube, jewels first, a few
times. Experimented with spanners and so on, managed to turn it into a
fixed wheel job that I could ride downhill just standing on one pedal
bobbing up and down. Just used to park it out front of the house, leaning
unlocked against a gum tree, it never got stolen. One day the down tube
just snapped after a session over the jumps on the single track that
existed throughout the local bushland. Jeez I was a lot gutsier then than I
am now.

--
beerwolf

Zebee Johnstone
May 22nd 07, 09:13 PM
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 22 May 2007 22:35:56 +1000
cfsmtb > wrote:

> Gumby Wrote:
>>
>> 1981?
>> jeez thats b4 i wuz born
>
> Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
> here who could beat that!

I think I got my sister's solid tyred small bike in umm... Well I rode
it to school in 1968 in grade 1. Graduated to a "real" one with pump
up tyres later that year.

Zebee

Theo Bekkers
May 23rd 07, 12:28 AM
cfsmtb wrote:
> Gumby Wrote:
>>
>> 1981?
>> jeez thats b4 i wuz born
>
> Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
> here who could beat that!

Hehe.
I got my first bike in 1947, and rode it to kindy.

Theo

Ted Linnell
May 23rd 07, 04:45 AM
cfsmtb > wrote:

>Gumby Wrote:
>>
>> 1981?
>> jeez thats b4 i wuz born
>
>Cripes I got my first bike circa 1972, and there's plenty of people on
>here who could beat that!

Indeed.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell > |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

gravelmuncher[_52_]
May 23rd 07, 04:52 AM
> Hehe.
> I got my first bike in 1947, and rode it to kindy.

Geez - why is it that there's so many old geezers in here, yet noone
knows anything about my old bike ??!!?? :D

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Theo Bekkers
May 23rd 07, 06:13 AM
gravelmuncher wrote:
>> Hehe.
>> I got my first bike in 1947, and rode it to kindy.
>
> Geez - why is it that there's so many old geezers in here, yet noone
> knows anything about my old bike ??!!?? :D

Your bike's not old. :-)

Theo

Zebee Johnstone
May 23rd 07, 06:21 AM
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 23 May 2007 13:52:01 +1000
gravelmuncher > wrote:

>> Hehe.
>> I got my first bike in 1947, and rode it to kindy.
>
> Geez - why is it that there's so many old geezers in here, yet noone
> knows anything about my old bike ??!!?? :D

because it is from Adelaide. Adelaide, being so much into heritage,
hasn't got into this internet thingie, and besides they don't think
your bike is old, as it wasn't made in Gawler's time.

Zebee

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home