PDA

View Full Version : First ride with new shoe / pedal system

Just A User
May 22nd 07, 04:40 PM
No question here, just my unbiased opinion. Recessed cleat shoes and
Crank Brother pedals rock. I just bought a pair or Cannondale mountain /
touring shoes and Crank Brother Candy pedals. And they are much more to
my liking. The shoes feel a bit more like a sneaker, and the recessed
cleat walkable design feels better on my feet than my road shoes with
look style cleats. The Crank Brother pedals feel a bit different
clipping in, but just about the same unclipping as the look pedals.

Ken

Roger Zoul
May 22nd 07, 05:12 PM
Just A User wrote:
:: No question here, just my unbiased opinion. Recessed cleat shoes and
:: Crank Brother pedals rock. I just bought a pair or Cannondale
:: mountain / touring shoes and Crank Brother Candy pedals. And they
:: are much more to my liking. The shoes feel a bit more like a
:: sneaker, and the recessed cleat walkable design feels better on my
:: feet than my road shoes with look style cleats. The Crank Brother
:: pedals feel a bit different clipping in, but just about the same
:: unclipping as the look pedals.
::
:: Ken

Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe that takes SPDs? I want to try
some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about Cranks.

Just A User
May 22nd 07, 05:54 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
> :: No question here, just my unbiased opinion. Recessed cleat shoes and
> :: Crank Brother pedals rock. I just bought a pair or Cannondale
> :: mountain / touring shoes and Crank Brother Candy pedals. And they
> :: are much more to my liking. The shoes feel a bit more like a
> :: sneaker, and the recessed cleat walkable design feels better on my
> :: feet than my road shoes with look style cleats. The Crank Brother
> :: pedals feel a bit different clipping in, but just about the same
> :: unclipping as the look pedals.
> ::
> :: Ken
>
> Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe that takes SPDs? I want to try
> some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about Cranks.

Yeah they will, from what I know / have seen, the cleats look almost
exactly like spd cleats. The Crank Bro cleats are the same two bolt design.

Ken

Leo Lichtman
May 22nd 07, 11:41 PM
"Roger Zoul" wrote: Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe that takes
SPDs? I want to try
> some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about Cranks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They will. I have them on two pairs of shoes. And you will like them. I
tried the Candys, and had a little trouble clicking in, due to interference
between the edges of the recess and the pedal. Switched to Eggbeaters and
no more problems. Probably could have fixed it by carving way part of the
shoe, but i didn't want to be bothered.

May 23rd 07, 01:59 AM
Would one's feet get sore earlier b/c of a smaller surface area of
these compared to Look style pedals?

Roger Zoul
May 23rd 07, 06:30 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote: Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe
:: that takes SPDs? I want to try
::: some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about
::: Cranks.
:: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:: They will. I have them on two pairs of shoes. And you will like
:: them. I tried the Candys, and had a little trouble clicking in, due
:: to interference between the edges of the recess and the pedal.

That's what I'm worried about, actually. Does the recess need to be a
certain size or width to ensure no interference? Candy's are eggbeaters with
a bit of a platform, right?

:: Switched to Eggbeaters and no more problems. Probably could have
:: fixed it by carving way part of the shoe, but i didn't want to be
:: bothered.

Just A User
May 23rd 07, 11:06 AM
wrote:
> Would one's feet get sore earlier b/c of a smaller surface area of
> these compared to Look style pedals?

Well my first ride with them was my normal two hour ride, and I thought
they felt more comfortable, no soreness that I noticed.

Ken

Just A User
May 23rd 07, 11:07 AM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
> :: "Roger Zoul" wrote: Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe
> :: that takes SPDs? I want to try
> ::: some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about
> ::: Cranks.
> :: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :: They will. I have them on two pairs of shoes. And you will like
> :: them. I tried the Candys, and had a little trouble clicking in, due
> :: to interference between the edges of the recess and the pedal.
>
> That's what I'm worried about, actually. Does the recess need to be a
> certain size or width to ensure no interference? Candy's are eggbeaters with
> a bit of a platform, right?

Yes they candies have just a bit of a platform.

Ken

Roger Zoul
May 23rd 07, 03:12 PM
Just A User wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Leo Lichtman wrote:
::::: "Roger Zoul" wrote: Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe
::::: that takes SPDs? I want to try
:::::: some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about
:::::: Cranks.
::::: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
::::: They will. I have them on two pairs of shoes. And you will like
::::: them. I tried the Candys, and had a little trouble clicking in,
::::: due to interference between the edges of the recess and the pedal.
:::
::: That's what I'm worried about, actually. Does the recess need to
::: be a certain size or width to ensure no interference? Candy's are
::: eggbeaters with a bit of a platform, right?
:::
:::
:: Yes they candies have just a bit of a platform.
::
:: Ken

The candies are on sale at performance....they don't come with cleats,
right?

Just A User
May 23rd 07, 04:27 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::: Leo Lichtman wrote:
> ::::: "Roger Zoul" wrote: Will the cleats fit any recessed cleat shoe
> ::::: that takes SPDs? I want to try
> :::::: some other type of pedal system and I have been thinking about
> :::::: Cranks.
> ::::: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ::::: They will. I have them on two pairs of shoes. And you will like
> ::::: them. I tried the Candys, and had a little trouble clicking in,
> ::::: due to interference between the edges of the recess and the pedal.
> :::
> ::: That's what I'm worried about, actually. Does the recess need to
> ::: be a certain size or width to ensure no interference? Candy's are
> ::: eggbeaters with a bit of a platform, right?
> :::
> :::
> :: Yes they candies have just a bit of a platform.
> ::
> :: Ken
>
> The candies are on sale at performance....they don't come with cleats,
> right?

They probably are on sale at perf, I got mine from the twin, Nashbar.
Yes the do come with the cleats, and shims to put under them if you need
them, I didn't, but that probably depends on the shoes you use.

Ken

Paul Myron Hobson
May 23rd 07, 05:59 PM
wrote:
> Would one's feet get sore earlier b/c of a smaller surface area of
> these compared to Look style pedals?

I use egg beaters and candies with the same shoes and don't have
problems with either. (low-end shimano mountain shoes, btw)
\\paul

me
May 24th 07, 05:45 AM
On Wed, 23 May 2007 12:59:03 -0400, Paul Myron Hobson wrote:

> wrote:
>> Would one's feet get sore earlier b/c of a smaller surface area of
>> these compared to Look style pedals?
>>

> I use egg beaters and candies with the same shoes and don't have
> problems with either. (low-end shimano mountain shoes, btw)
> \\paul

I have used Crank bros for a while and love 'em!
They have a very effective greasing system which if
you use thru the winter are a great way to make them last along time.

Pete Derkowski
May 24th 07, 07:29 PM
Here's a link to the Candy on sale for $42.99.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=20727&storetype=estore&estoreid=909&pagename=Estore%3A%2012%20Hour%20Nashbar%20Web%20S ale

This is a timely post for me - I got back into cycing last fall, bought a
trek pilot, without clipless pedals since I didn't know anything about them.
Problem is, I still don't - went to the local cycle chop here and they were
not much help... they sell what they sell and they don't know anything else
it seems.

So I was about to post a general Q on where do I find some info on the types
of cleats and pedals... and ask for suggestions on one vs. the other.

Anyone know of an informative site that goes through it?

Pete Derkowski (just got my 1st jersey today - SHREK from Nashbar and can't
wait to try it out)

"Just A User" > wrote in message
> No question here, just my unbiased opinion. Recessed cleat shoes and Crank
> Brother pedals rock. I just bought a pair or Cannondale mountain / touring
> shoes and Crank Brother Candy pedals. And they are much more to my liking.
> The shoes feel a bit more like a sneaker, and the recessed cleat walkable
> design feels better on my feet than my road shoes with look style cleats.
> The Crank Brother pedals feel a bit different clipping in, but just about
> the same unclipping as the look pedals.
>
> Ken

Just A User
May 24th 07, 10:54 PM
Pete Derkowski wrote:
> Here's a link to the Candy on sale for $42.99.
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=20727&storetype=estore&estoreid=909&pagename=Estore%3A%2012%20Hour%20Nashbar%20Web%20S ale
>

> This is a timely post for me - I got back into cycing last fall, bought a
> trek pilot, without clipless pedals since I didn't know anything about them.
> Problem is, I still don't - went to the local cycle chop here and they were
> not much help... they sell what they sell and they don't know anything else
> it seems.
>
> So I was about to post a general Q on where do I find some info on the types
> of cleats and pedals... and ask for suggestions on one vs. the other.
>
> Anyone know of an informative site that goes through it?
>
> Pete Derkowski (just got my 1st jersey today - SHREK from Nashbar and can't
> wait to try it out)

Well here is a little info from Sheldons site:

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cl.html#clipless

You can surf sheldons site for more info. Thats where I usually look
first when I want to know about a piece of hardware.

Ken

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home