PDA

View Full Version : Re: Interesting bikes at the Target website.

landotter
May 23rd 07, 02:03 AM
On May 22, 7:46 pm, SMS > wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > I'm about to take my "lady" out for a spin into the city and back.
> > She's a more modern '76, but looks brand new from a few feet. With
> > alloy rims, good tires, and replacing those &%$@ self adjusting brake
> > levers, you end up with a great city ride. Mine still has the standard
> > 70s Pletscher rack. All I need is a disco shirt. :D Hub shifts
> > flawlessly with a few drops of Castrol each month. North road bars and
> > block pedals are way under rated. Raleigh style handlebar grips are
> > way *over rated*, I gotta pick up some Ritchey grips for this thing
> > one day. Ouch.
>
> I had a 1976 Columbia 3 speed "English Racer." Purchased from Woolco,
> Woolworth's attempt at big-box discount department stores. I gave it to
> my brother, and it's still in his garage. Whenever I go back to Florida
> I see it there. Still working fine. Probably has had well over 50 miles
> put on it in the last 30 years, most of them by me, on visits. The
> mechanical odometer/speedometer I put on it still works.

Probably worth a pretty penny on eBay, I reckon. The term "English
Racer" always makes me snort. Mine's something like 40# and I'd not
trust that SA hub to riding while standing.

> Who bought the Columbia name? I still see Columbia bikes at Sports
> Authority.

Might well be Pacific, but I don't see them listed on the site. I know
they're building bikes for Sports Authority, though. Perhaps
"Columbia" is an in-house brand?

http://www.pacific-cycle.com/brands/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home