PDA

View Full Version : Re: Carbon Offsetting by bike

nafuk
May 23rd 07, 09:29 AM
On 23 May, 08:13, Tony Raven > wrote:
> Marc Brett wrote on 23/05/2007 03:03 +0100:
>
> > On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:37:32 +0100, John Halliwell
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Reducing air travel is not the way to go, more efficient aircraft &
> >> engines
>
> > How much gain there? About 10% efficiency improvement from the 787 and
> > A350. Hardly earth-shattering, and the >10% increase in passenger
> > movements will quickly swallow that up.
>
> Not a lot - far better to get people to switch off lights, use energy
> efficient cars and appliances and insulate their homes. The effect of
> that would swamp the effect of banning the airline industry in the UK.
>
> Then there is the old chestnut of food air-miles where the impact of the
> fuel to ship many foods from warm growing climates is small compared to
> that of heating greenhouses to grow them here - or we could return to
> a diet of turnips, potatoes and brassicas in winter
>
> --
> Tony
>
> "The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
> is no good evidence either way."
> - Bertrand Russell

We don't need to grow the foreign foodstuffs here in the UK, we just
need to eat seasonal food and not think we should be able to eat
anything we want at any time we want. This may mean not being able to
eat some things ever again.
As for better aircraft and more fule efficient engines etc. it is the
same argument. We should not be using them to pop over to New York,
Madrid etc. for the weekend. Go local, or go by train or bus.
Just because we can do something doesn't make it morally corect to do
it.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home