PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: the impossible tyre...

spokes[_2_]
May 23rd 07, 11:28 PM
It needs to be...

700 x 23
Good for going fast
Good in all conditions
Puncture resistant
Durable
Cheap

ono

All suggestions much appreciated.

Alan

Tim Hall
May 23rd 07, 11:54 PM
On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:28:09 +0100, "spokes"
> wrote:

>It needs to be...

Schwalbe Blizzard Sport

>700 x 23

Check

>Good for going fast

Check. Although how fast is down to you.

>Good in all conditions

So theysay in the blurb.

>Puncture resistant

Kevlarbelt.

>Durable

Dunno.

>Cheap

Tenner online.

Tim

TheMgt
May 24th 07, 09:10 AM
Tim Hall wrote:

> Schwalbe Blizzard Sport
>> 700 x 23

>> Puncture resistant
>
> Kevlarbelt.

Mine averaged about a puncture a week, usually from glass, 'til I
swapped them for Gatorskins.

Arthur Clune
May 24th 07, 10:23 AM
spokes wrote:
> It needs to be...
>
> 700 x 23
> Good for going fast
> Good in all conditions
> Puncture resistant
> Durable
> Cheap

I use Bontrager Race Lite tyres for winter and they
would meet your criteria. They aren't as fast as
the Schable Stelvios I use in summer (or Michelin
Pro Race 2), but they're not bad and half the
price.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

bookieb
May 24th 07, 04:25 PM
On May 24, 9:10 am, TheMgt > wrote:
> Tim Hall wrote:
> > Schwalbe Blizzard Sport
> >> 700 x 23
> >> Puncture resistant
>
> > Kevlarbelt.
>
> Mine averaged about a puncture a week, usually from glass, 'til I
> swapped them for Gatorskins.

Ditto, Blizzard Sports fine while newish (Spring)
Once I had 1500km of wear on them, quite a bit of wear evident,
punctures a plenty (through the Summer, so not obviously related to
more wet weather).

Switched to Gatorskins - one puncture in >3000km, minimal wear, good
grip. I've got 'em in 700x25 - not sure if there available in 23
though?

Regards,

bookieb

Simon Mason
May 24th 07, 04:56 PM
"spokes" > wrote in message
> It needs to be...
>
> 700 x 23
> Good for going fast
> Good in all conditions
> Puncture resistant
> Durable
> Cheap
>
> ono
>
> All suggestions much appreciated.

I've only had two tyres *never* to have punctured in this size.

Continental 4 Seasons.
Bontrager Hard Case.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Tim Hall
May 24th 07, 09:55 PM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:14:48 -0500, mb >
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:54:27 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:28:09 +0100, "spokes"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It needs to be...
>>

>> Schwalbe Blizzard Sport
>>>
>>>700 x 23
>>

>Got one on the back of one of my bikes at the mo'. Seems to be lasting OK,
>no punctures yet.
>Mine only cost 9.95 Euros, so I'll be using them some more.

I _thought_ that's what I had. Furtling in the garage says it's a
Scwalbe Blizzard, no Sport. I can't see from the website what
thedifference is, except the Blizzard is a couple of quid more.

Tim

spokes[_2_]
May 24th 07, 11:42 PM
Interesting...

First off, many thanks for all responses - v interesting. But some of these
tyres cost more than £20! Steady on chaps. I have to say I'm leaning towards
these Blizzards (*not* Blizzard Sports). At a tenner apiece, with kevlar,
and not too heavy, they look like they might be the biz.

Thanks again.
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:14:48 -0500, mb >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:54:27 +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:28:09 +0100, "spokes"

>>> Schwalbe Blizzard Sport

>>Got one on the back of one of my bikes at the mo'. Seems to be lasting OK,
>>no punctures yet.
>>Mine only cost 9.95 Euros, so I'll be using them some more.
>

> I _thought_ that's what I had. Furtling in the garage says it's a
> Scwalbe Blizzard, no Sport. I can't see from the website what
> thedifference is, except the Blizzard is a couple of quid more.
>

> Tim

Simon Brooke
May 25th 07, 09:26 AM
in message >, spokes
') wrote:

> Interesting...
>
> First off, many thanks for all responses - v interesting. But some of
> these tyres cost more than £20! Steady on chaps.

The tyres I use on my road bike (Schwalbe Stelvio Evolution) are about £55
the pair. That's about a penny-hapenny a mile. It isn't a lot compared to
the cost of running your car, or taking the bus.

Is twenty pounds a lot for a tyre? What would you spend on a round of
drinks, or a meal in a cafe?

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

Peter Clinch
May 25th 07, 10:30 AM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> Is twenty pounds a lot for a tyre? What would you spend on a round of
> drinks, or a meal in a cafe?

About the size of it. One baulks because you can buy something so much
cheaper, but the fact is in absolute terms it's something most of us can
easily afford. And if it makes running fuss-free, I'd say money well
spent (part of why I like hub dynamo light setups, even though I could
have a more faffsome alternative for a lot less).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

May 25th 07, 01:41 PM
On 24 May, 23:42, "spokes" > wrote:
> Interesting...
>
> First off, many thanks for all responses - v interesting. But some of these
> tyres cost more than £20! Steady on chaps. I have to say I'm leaning towards
> these Blizzards (*not* Blizzard Sports). At a tenner apiece, with kevlar,
> and not too heavy, they look like they might be the biz.
>
> Thanks again."Tim Hall" > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:14:48 -0500, mb >
> > wrote:

> >>Got one on the back of one of my bikes at the mo'. Seems to be lasting OK,
> >>no punctures yet.
> >>Mine only cost 9.95 Euros, so I'll be using them some more.
>
> > I _thought_ that's what I had. Furtling in the garage says it's a
> > Scwalbe Blizzard, no Sport. I can't see from the website what
> > thedifference is, except the Blizzard is a couple of quid more.
>
> > Tim- Hide quoted text -

Hmm. When you get a puncture in the rain and dark after buying cheapo
tyres, do you think "Ah well, at least I've saved a few quid"?

AP
May 25th 07, 02:59 PM
Fair enough...but then again, if I *can* get tyres that do the biz & don't
get punctures *and* save £20-£30, is there something inherently dumb about
that? When you've a small family, a big mortgage and a mummy bear income,
you have to think about how many mickles you need for your muckles.
Gatorskins/Armadillos sound too heavy; Bontrager Race Lite and Pro Race 2s
are costly (tho' doubtless Excellent Value); a pair of Blizzards at £18
(incl kevlar) sound about right to me.

Thanks again all.

Alan
"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Is twenty pounds a lot for a tyre? What would you spend on a round of
>> drinks, or a meal in a cafe?
>
> About the size of it. One baulks because you can buy something so much
> cheaper, but the fact is in absolute terms it's something most of us can
> easily afford. And if it makes running fuss-free, I'd say money well
> spent (part of why I like hub dynamo light setups, even though I could
> have a more faffsome alternative for a lot less).
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch
May 25th 07, 03:12 PM
AP wrote:
> Fair enough...but then again, if I *can* get tyres that do the biz & don't
> get punctures *and* save £20-£30, is there something inherently dumb about
> that?

Not at all, but there is the sad fact that one generally gets what one
pays for. If the Blizzards did it all Schwalbe could save an awful lot
of time and money not producing more expensive tyres and put their
rivals out of business too...

> a pair of Blizzards at £18 (incl kevlar) sound about right to me.

Though note there's more to puncture resistance than a wee bit of
kevlar, though that's better than none, I'll grant you.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

TJB
May 25th 07, 03:39 PM
> a pair of Blizzards at £18 (incl kevlar) sound about right to me.

You could try Planet X Bikes - they seem to be offering a pair for £-4.98 at
the moment, which even if you include the £2.50 p+p seems a good deal! Not
sure they'll honour this price though ... :-)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=190

AP
May 25th 07, 04:36 PM
My that *is* a bargain! Getting paid to take 'em away... (mind, they're
Sports, which apparently aren't as good...still, remarkable value, whichever
way you look at it) ;o)
"TJB" > wrote in message
>> a pair of Blizzards at £18 (incl kevlar) sound about right to me.
>
> You could try Planet X Bikes - they seem to be offering a pair for £-4.98
> at the moment, which even if you include the £2.50 p+p seems a good deal!
> Not sure they'll honour this price though ... :-)
>
> http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=190

Doki
May 25th 07, 08:13 PM
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:28:09 +0100, "spokes"
> > wrote:
>
>>It needs to be...
>

> Schwalbe Blizzard Sport
>>
>>700 x 23
>
> Check
>
>>Good for going fast
>
> Check. Although how fast is down to you.
>
>>Good in all conditions
>
> So theysay in the blurb.
>
>>Puncture resistant
>
> Kevlarbelt.
>
>>Durable
>
> Dunno.
>
>>Cheap
>
> Tenner online.

Or at my LBS. I likes em.

Roger Merriman
May 26th 07, 09:49 AM
mb > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 05:41:24 -0700, wrote:
> >

> > Hmm. When you get a puncture in the rain and dark after buying cheapo
> > tyres, do you think "Ah well, at least I've saved a few quid"?
>
> It may surprise you to learn that expensive tyres get punctured as well.

some of that though i guess is type? ie thin racer tires have less
protection is the compromise. though it has to be said there seems
plenty of tires of all types around the 10 to 20 quid range.

roger

Simon Mason
May 27th 07, 09:28 AM
"mb" > wrote in message
l...
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 05:41:24 -0700, wrote:
>>

>> Hmm. When you get a puncture in the rain and dark after buying cheapo
>> tyres, do you think "Ah well, at least I've saved a few quid"?
>
> It may surprise you to learn that expensive tyres get punctured as well.

It is no surprise. The worst tyres I have had were Conti GP4000s at 30 odd
quid a pair. Wore out in no time at all.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Chris Gerhard
May 27th 07, 10:10 AM
Simon Mason wrote:
> "mb" > wrote in message
> l...
>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 05:41:24 -0700, wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm. When you get a puncture in the rain and dark after buying cheapo
>>> tyres, do you think "Ah well, at least I've saved a few quid"?
>> It may surprise you to learn that expensive tyres get punctured as well.
>

> It is no surprise. The worst tyres I have had were Conti GP4000s at 30 odd
> quid a pair. Wore out in no time at all.

Now that is odd. The best tyres I have had are Conti GP4000s at £25
were expensive but can now be got for £18. These tyres are still on my
summer bike despite having ridden a whole season on them under a two
punctures and they are changed rule.

When I went to replace them at the beginning of this summer there was so
little wear I swapped the front and rear tyres and am still riding them.
They have now done over 6000 miles.

I do check once a week for anything that is stuck in them, but I do that
with all tyres.

What is more the handling on the bike I perceive as being much better.
Good enough that when the rider in front of me went down on a left hand
bend in the rain recently I was able to avoid him, his bike and the tarmac.

Meanwhile my winter bike has not faired so well on it's Continental
gator skins. It now has GP4000s.

--chris

Simon Mason
May 27th 07, 07:09 PM
"Chris Gerhard" > wrote in message
> Simon Mason wrote:
>> "mb" > wrote in message
>> l...

>>> It may surprise you to learn that expensive tyres get punctured as well.
>>

>> It is no surprise. The worst tyres I have had were Conti GP4000s at 30
>> odd quid a pair. Wore out in no time at all.
>>

> Now that is odd. The best tyres I have had are Conti GP4000s at £25 were
> expensive but can now be got for £18. These tyres are still on my summer
> bike despite having ridden a whole season on them under a two punctures
> and they are changed rule.
>
> When I went to replace them at the beginning of this summer there was so
> little wear I swapped the front and rear tyres and am still riding them.
> They have now done over 6000 miles.
>
> I do check once a week for anything that is stuck in them, but I do that
> with all tyres.
>
> What is more the handling on the bike I perceive as being much better.
> Good enough that when the rider in front of me went down on a left hand
> bend in the rain recently I was able to avoid him, his bike and the
> tarmac.
>
> Meanwhile my winter bike has not faired so well on it's Continental gator
> skins. It now has GP4000s.

GP4000 with glass damage and worn tread. Two months of use.
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zconti1.jpg

I use 4 seasons now - no punctures yet since Jan 07.
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zcont2.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Dan Gregory
May 27th 07, 07:14 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> "Chris Gerhard" > wrote in message
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>> "mb" > wrote in message
>>> l...
>>>
>>> It is no surprise. The worst tyres I have had were Conti GP4000s at 30
>>> odd quid a pair. Wore out in no time at all.
>>>

>> Now that is odd. The best tyres I have had are Conti GP4000s at £25 were
>> expensive but can now be got for £18. These tyres are still on my summer
>> bike despite having ridden a whole season on them under a two punctures
>> and they are changed rule.
>>
>> When I went to replace them at the beginning of this summer there was so
>> little wear I swapped the front and rear tyres and am still riding them.
>> They have now done over 6000 miles.
>>
>> I do check once a week for anything that is stuck in them, but I do that
>> with all tyres.
>>
>> What is more the handling on the bike I perceive as being much better.
>> Good enough that when the rider in front of me went down on a left hand
>> bend in the rain recently I was able to avoid him, his bike and the
>> tarmac.
>>
>> Meanwhile my winter bike has not faired so well on it's Continental gator
>> skins. It now has GP4000s.
>

> GP4000 with glass damage and worn tread. Two months of use.
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zconti1.jpg
>
> I use 4 seasons now - no punctures yet since Jan 07.
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zcont2.jpg

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zconti2.jpg ;-))

Dan Gregory
May 27th 07, 07:18 PM
Dan Gregory wrote:

>> I use 4 seasons now - no punctures yet since Jan 07.
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zconti2.jpg

I've been using these for a year and I don't think I've had a puncture
http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&mn=1&id=42

Mark Thompson
May 27th 07, 09:58 PM
Dan Gregory wrote:

> I don't think I've had a puncture

I hear the sound of a million tiny, flapping wings as a hoard of p*ncture
fairies descend upon your tubulars. They look like locusts only ...
hungrier!

David Damerell
May 30th 07, 04:51 PM
Quoting spokes >:
>700 x 23
>Good for going fast
>Good in all conditions
>Puncture resistant
>Durable
>Cheap

Don't forget "not impossible to get onto a rim without tyre levers", which
I found was an increasing problem with Conti's 23mm offerings.

The Blizzard Sport is silica compound, so unlikely to fare well in the
wet. Michelin Carbons?
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

Roger Merriman
May 31st 07, 12:25 PM
David Damerell > wrote:

> Quoting spokes >:
> >700 x 23
> >Good for going fast
> >Good in all conditions
> >Puncture resistant
> >Durable
> >Cheap
>
> Don't forget "not impossible to get onto a rim without tyre levers", which
> I found was an increasing problem with Conti's 23mm offerings.

ah yes, the marthons i have on my mountain bike are fairly stiff to get
on or off, certinaly need levers.

> The Blizzard Sport is silica compound, so unlikely to fare well in the
> wet. Michelin Carbons?

roger

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home