PDA

View Full Version : Raise money and have fun for a good cause!

graham
May 24th 07, 02:21 AM
http://www.tourofcourage.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=about

Lance's appearance fee is very high but it results in very large donations
to the Cancer charity.

Rob Morley
May 26th 07, 12:35 PM
In article <qM55i.212649$DE1.9682@pd7urf2no>, graham
says...
> http://www.tourofcourage.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=about

I'm sure loads of people from this UK group will be going ...

> Lance's appearance fee is very high but it results in very large donations
> to the Cancer charity.

That's a bit scummy - doesn't he make enough money withoput ripping off
cancer charities?

graham
May 26th 07, 04:35 PM
"Rob Morley" > wrote in message
> In article <qM55i.212649$DE1.9682@pd7urf2no>, graham
> says...
>> http://www.tourofcourage.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=about
>
> I'm sure loads of people from this UK group will be going ...
>>
>> Lance's appearance fee is very high but it results in very large
>> donations
>> to the Cancer charity.
>>
> That's a bit scummy - doesn't he make enough money withoput ripping off
> cancer charities?

Informed opinion says that he'll probably take away $100k but since they
raise several mil, they think it's worth it. It's also his 4th appearance
here. It's a way of getting wealthy, corporate types to cough up large sums
and having fun at the same time. In previous years he has brought several
of his Postal team with him. This year it's Eddie Merkx and Steve Bauer,
who will, presumably, be getting appearance money.
Phil Liggett has ridden with him a couple of times on these occasions and
written-up the event in Cycling+ (Dec 04, Dec05)

The whole business of raising money for charity (and it is a business) is a
compromise of cost v. benefit. Next month in this city, there will be a
"Weekend Walk to End Breast Cancer" a huge event run by volunteers but the
cost of running it is about 50% of the take.
Graham

Ekul Namsob
May 27th 07, 08:25 AM
graham > wrote:

> "Rob Morley" > wrote in message
> > In article <qM55i.212649$DE1.9682@pd7urf2no>, graham
> > says...

> >> Lance's appearance fee is very high but it results in very large
> >> donations to the Cancer charity.

> > That's a bit scummy - doesn't he make enough money withoput ripping off
> > cancer charities?

> Informed opinion says that he'll probably take away $100k but since they
> raise several mil, they think it's worth it. It's also his 4th appearance
> here. It's a way of getting wealthy, corporate types to cough up large sums
> and having fun at the same time. In previous years he has brought several
> of his Postal team with him. This year it's Eddie Merkx and Steve Bauer,
> who will, presumably, be getting appearance money.

I appreciate that charities benefit from this sort of appearance. The
question, surely, is whether Lance Armstrong is not sufficiently well
off to turn up for free or, perhaps, a rather smaller sum.

Would you, if you had the skill, tenacity and strength to win the Tour
de France several times over, give a charity (which was trying to help
people survive the very illness that had nearly killed you) some of your
time for free? Or would you charge them an affluent person's annual
salary?

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 27th 07, 09:02 AM
Ekul Namsob wrote on 27/05/2007 08:25 +0100:

> I appreciate that charities benefit from this sort of appearance. The
> question, surely, is whether Lance Armstrong is not sufficiently well
> off to turn up for free or, perhaps, a rather smaller sum.

I know people who charge a lot for appearances and they use it as a
filter to sort out the myriad events they get asked to appear at. Often
the money for charitable events goes into their favourite charity while
appearance fees elsewhere they keep. I don't know whether this is the
case for Armstrong but he has raised very large amount of money for
charity with his Foundation - over $52m in 2005 - so I suspect he might.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Ekul Namsob
May 27th 07, 09:14 AM
Tony Raven > wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote on 27/05/2007 08:25 +0100:
> >
> > I appreciate that charities benefit from this sort of appearance. The
> > question, surely, is whether Lance Armstrong is not sufficiently well
> > off to turn up for free or, perhaps, a rather smaller sum.

> I know people who charge a lot for appearances and they use it as a
> filter to sort out the myriad events they get asked to appear at. Often
> the money for charitable events goes into their favourite charity while
> appearance fees elsewhere they keep. I don't know whether this is the
> case for Armstrong but he has raised very large amount of money for
> charity with his Foundation - over $52m in 2005 - so I suspect he might.

If that is the case then I am reassured.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United
We went up twice with Tilly and Brush

Naqerj
May 27th 07, 09:29 AM
Ekul Namsob wrote:

> I appreciate that charities benefit from this sort of appearance. The
> question, surely, is whether Lance Armstrong is not sufficiently well
> off to turn up for free or, perhaps, a rather smaller sum.

I've no idea about Lance - but many famous people charge a hefty fee as
a way of keeping their charitable appearances down to a manageable
number. So, for example, when some TV celebrities [1] were booked to
open a local fete, they stayed for most of the afternoon and visited
every stall, spending freely - considerably more than their appearance fee.

[1] this was back in the days when TV 'celebrities' were people you'd
actually heard of.
--
Andrew

graham
May 27th 07, 04:06 PM
"Ekul Namsob" > wrote in message
news:1hyrlfi.1lgbtmt1pz0mi4N%notmyaddress.1.ekulna ...
> Tony Raven > wrote:
>
>> Ekul Namsob wrote on 27/05/2007 08:25 +0100:
>> >
>> > I appreciate that charities benefit from this sort of appearance. The
>> > question, surely, is whether Lance Armstrong is not sufficiently well
>> > off to turn up for free or, perhaps, a rather smaller sum.
>
>> I know people who charge a lot for appearances and they use it as a
>> filter to sort out the myriad events they get asked to appear at. Often
>> the money for charitable events goes into their favourite charity while
>> appearance fees elsewhere they keep. I don't know whether this is the
>> case for Armstrong but he has raised very large amount of money for
>> charity with his Foundation - over $52m in 2005 - so I suspect he might.
>
> If that is the case then I am reassured.

I have been trying to access TopoRoute this morning to show you the profile
of their route but for some reason, it won't work.
Graham

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 27th 07, 05:45 PM
graham wrote on 27/05/2007 16:06 +0100:

> I have been trying to access TopoRoute this morning to show you the profile
> of their route but for some reason, it won't work.

Its been borked for a few days now. Whether it is temporary or
something more permanent has happened I don't know but it will be a
shame if it doesn't come back.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home