PDA

View Full Version : Injured cyclist -- Nathan Simmons

Trevor A Panther
May 24th 07, 07:10 AM
I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"

Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would appreciate your
support either on here, or by more personal contact if you know her well.

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Mark Thompson
May 24th 07, 08:04 AM
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus
> track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder
> bone and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

Ouch, sounds painful. Pass on my best wishes Waffles. Hope it won't
affect any exams and stuff?

Simon Brooke
May 24th 07, 08:50 AM
in message >, Trevor A
Panther ') wrote:

> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus
> track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone
> and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>
> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would appreciate
> your support either on here, or by more personal contact if you know her
> well.

Oh, ****.

Best wishes, Waffly, tell him to mend quickly. Broken pelvis doesn't sound
at all amusing. But things do mend, particularly when you're young.

[ Disclaimer: This is a work displacement exercise. Please feel free ]
[ to reply either on or off group. Expect lengthy replies until the ]
[ deadline has passed. Thank-you for your cooperation. ]

p.k.
May 24th 07, 09:01 AM
Trevor A Panther wrote:
> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the
> Lotus track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
> He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder
> bone and possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>
> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact
> if you know her well.

That sounds nasty!

Internet hug to Waffly.

pk

wafflycat
May 24th 07, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys.

Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side away
from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the bunch.
Such is the way of things.

The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E staff at
the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the wounds and also
according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody bits, she now
understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it really easy for her
to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the wound could be
thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.

It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in to
Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.

Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right hip.
He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come up and his hip was causing
him more pain than his broken shoulder. There were mutterings about
hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence without the mention of shoulder,
and we could not get it confirmed last night if his hip is or isn't broken -
we'll be pressing to find out more about that today.

The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle on
bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a ceremonial
burning of kit in the garden!

In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly became
light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and laid on a trolly
(next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on trolleys in front of me)
to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot sweet tea & couple of biscuits each
was rapidly provided for Vernon & I which was very welcome and did the trick
to get Vernon back on his feet. I was gald of that, as I really didn't want
both husband & son admitted to hospital - it's bad enough with just the son
admitted!

Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Cheers, helen s

Brian G
May 24th 07, 09:22 AM
wafflycat wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part
> of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him
> and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else
> down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the
> side away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.
>
> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.
>
> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E
> staff at the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the
> wounds and also according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody
> bits, she now understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it
> really easy for her to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the
> wound could be thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.
>
> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
> night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
> season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in
> to Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.
>
> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on
> Nathan's shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with
> his right hip. He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come up and
> his hip was causing him more pain than his broken shoulder. There were
> mutterings about hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence without the
> mention of shoulder, and we could not get it confirmed last night if his
> hip is or isn't broken - we'll be pressing to find out more about that
> today.
>
> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
> small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
> totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle
> on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a
> ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!
>
> In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly
> became light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and laid
> on a trolly (next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on trolleys
> in front of me) to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot sweet tea &
> couple of biscuits each was rapidly provided for Vernon & I which was
> very welcome and did the trick to get Vernon back on his feet. I was
> gald of that, as I really didn't want both husband & son admitted to
> hospital - it's bad enough with just the son admitted!
>
> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
to be said, really.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Tim Hall
May 24th 07, 09:51 AM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
> wrote:

>Thanks guys.
>
>Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

<snip>

>Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
>Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Damn. Best wishes to Nathan for a speedy recovery. And best wishes
to you and Vernon. It's not nice when your flesh and blood gets hurt.

Keep those maternal bazoomas heaving.

Tim

David Hansen
May 24th 07, 09:52 AM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:10:37 GMT someone who may be "Trevor A
Panther" > wrote this:-

>Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
>last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.
>He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
>possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions

That is sad. Hopefully he will mend as rapidly as possible.
Youngsters tend to mend better and faster than oldies.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Tom Crispin
May 24th 07, 10:21 AM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
> wrote:

>Thanks guys.

Love to you both. It sould like Nathan's alive and will make a
complete recovery, that's what matters.

Look after yourself, Helen, you are important too.

Arthur Clune
May 24th 07, 10:26 AM
wafflycat wrote:

> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/

Ouch. Hope he's ok before too long and all the best to you.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Dan Gregory
May 24th 07, 10:35 AM
Thanks for letting us know how Nathan is, Helen.
I hope he makes a quick recovery.
On a positive note a woman suffered very similar injuries in a race I
was commissairing a few years ago - she was back again a few months later.
Please keep us all in touch.
Regards
Dan Gregory

Helen Deborah Vecht
May 24th 07, 10:50 AM
Brian G >typed

> Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
> to be said, really.

<AOL>

Hope he recovers well and with no lasting problems.

Have a {[{ HUG }]} from me and remember to keep your stomach full and
your bladder empty!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Pete Biggs
May 24th 07, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear the news. Hope Nathan's injuries aren't as bad as first
feared.

If it is a broken hip, I know from experience that it's possible to be back
on the bike within three months, and eventually to cycle as well or better
than you were doing before the accident.

Best wishes,

~PB

Chris Malcolm
May 24th 07, 10:51 AM
wafflycat > wrote:

> Thanks guys.

> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
> Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
> Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side away
> from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the bunch.
> Such is the way of things.

> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E staff at
> the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the wounds and also
> according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody bits, she now
> understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it really easy for her
> to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the wound could be
> thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.

> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
> night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
> season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in to
> Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.

> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
> shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right hip.

Once the nature of the injuries is known, you'll have some time to
look up recovery physiotherapy and so on, just in the unlikely case
one of those injuries is involved where how you behave during recovery
has a lot to do with how quickly and completely you recover full
mobility etc.. That's an aspect of recovery rather variably addressed
by the NHS, some places being very good indeed, and some places having
apparently forgotten to include it in the management tick boxes.

Sympathies and best wishes!

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

elyob
May 24th 07, 10:52 AM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
> Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
> Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side
> away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

Was he copying the end of yesterday's Giro?

Wish him all the best ...

Paul - xxx[_2_]
May 24th 07, 10:53 AM
wafflycat > typed:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

Yup, don't forget to look after yourself ... ;)

> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Get Well Soon that lad, hope he makes a good and swift recovery.

Best wishes to you all.

--
Paul - xxx

spindrift
May 24th 07, 11:00 AM
Waffly, you are the calm steady pilot of your family boat in a bad
analogy kind of way.

Best regards and a speedy recovery to Nathan from me.

May 24th 07, 11:10 AM
On 24 May, 09:11, "wafflycat" > wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> <snip details of tale of woe>
>
> Cheers, helen s

Wallycat,

as a serial lurker, I enjoy reading of your pootles and wanted to
delurk to pass on best wishes to you all, both from myself and the
many other lurkers who are out there.

Marc Brett
May 24th 07, 11:20 AM
I remember your worries at Nathan's near-misses on the roads, and it's a
blessing that he only(!) collided with tarmac, allbeit some very
fast-moving tarmac.

I hope you both recover soon.

Brendan Halpin
May 24th 07, 12:10 PM
"wafflycat" > writes:

> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.

Let no-one say you don't have a (vicarious) competitive streak :-)

I hope he has a rapid uncomplicated recovery. Like Simon says, the
young heal fast.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

dkahn400
May 24th 07, 12:40 PM
On May 24, 9:11 am, "wafflycat" >
wrote:

> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Helen, I'm really sorry to hear about Nathan's accident. Please wish
him a full a speedy recovery from me, and I hope that you and Vernon
are also OK, particularly following Vernon's dizzy spell.

--
Dave...

Alan Braggins
May 24th 07, 12:45 PM
In article >, Trevor A Panther wrote:
>He is now in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
>possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would appreciate your
>support either on here, or by more personal contact if you know her well.

Best wishes to Nathan for a speedy recovery.

Peter Clinch
May 24th 07, 01:25 PM
Trevor A Panther wrote:

> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact if
> you know her well.

ouchouchouchouch! :-(

Best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible, and a minimum of undue
stress on Helen & Vernon.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Roos Eisma
May 24th 07, 01:34 PM
Peter Clinch > writes:

>Trevor A Panther wrote:

>> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
>> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact if
>> you know her well.

>ouchouchouchouch! :-(

>Best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible, and a minimum of undue
>stress on Helen & Vernon.

I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...

Roos

Ambrose Nankivell
May 24th 07, 01:44 PM
wafflycat wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

My best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery. Especially him, but
it's hard on the parents too.

> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part
> of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him
> and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else
> down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the
> side away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.

A noble lad.

> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on
> Nathan's shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with
> his right hip.

I hope the CT scan and other examinations have all gone well and
everything can be left to the miracles of the teenage body to fix like
nothing ever happened.

> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
> small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
> totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle
> on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a
> ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!

Ah, the loss of clothing is a complete (and utterly secondary) pain. Bad
luck.

I hope all goes well anyway.

And that he gets some good physio and that he's not put off.

Clive George
May 24th 07, 02:13 PM
"Brendan Halpin" > wrote in message
> "wafflycat" > writes:
>
>> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
>> bunch. Such is the way of things.
>
> Let no-one say you don't have a (vicarious) competitive streak :-)

Which made me think - presumably Nathan's got all these places at events
sorted out, which will now be going spare. Time to let that competitive
streak out :-)

cheers,
clive

Trevor A Panther
May 24th 07, 02:39 PM
"Roos Eisma" > wrote in message
> Peter Clinch > writes:
>
>>Trevor A Panther wrote:
>
>>> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
>>> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact if
>>> you know her well.
>
>>ouchouchouchouch! :-(
>
>>Best wishes for as speedy a recovery as possible, and a minimum of undue
>>stress on Helen & Vernon.
>
> I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
> couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...
>
> Roos

I had a look at the hospital website but couldn't find an email access. But
once Nathan is able to cope he should be able to have access to the net via
his bedside system. Hopefully we can then amuse him with several ribald
tales -- and pictures of grapes!

In the meantime, like everyone else, I just hope that he is going to be OK in
the long run.
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Daniel Barlow
May 24th 07, 04:01 PM
Chris Malcolm wrote:
> wafflycat > wrote:
>> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
>> shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right hip.

Ow, ow. That sounds like no fun at all.

> Once the nature of the injuries is known, you'll have some time to
> look up recovery physiotherapy and so on, just in the unlikely case
> one of those injuries is involved where how you behave during recovery
> has a lot to do with how quickly and completely you recover full
> mobility etc.. That's an aspect of recovery rather variably addressed

I Am Not Medically Qualified, but want to echo this: I remember being
told after previous shoulder injuries (soft tissue, obviously bones are
different) that it's important to keep using the joint if you want the
full ROM, otherwise you get scar tissue growing in and end up having to
hold your drink in the other hand. Some places will just say "well,
don't ride again until it's healed", it may be worth finding a sports
physio who understands that you (well, Nathan) *want* to ride again and
can tell you how to get back to that point faster.

I'm not suggesting my advice is good for you, I'm suggesting that you
make sure you get good advice for you, not just a fobbing-off.

-dan

Helen Deborah Vecht
May 24th 07, 04:05 PM
Roos Eisma >typed

> I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
> couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...

Is he supposed to be doing A Levels? Sorting them out, unless they are
put on hold (might be best, really) would stop anyone getting bored...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Carol Hague
May 24th 07, 04:06 PM
Brian G > wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:

> > Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> > Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.
>

> Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
> to be said, really.

Likewise - I hope he gets well quickly and as comfortably as possible
under the circumstances.

And remember - if you're going to look after him, you and Vernon also
need to look after yourselves - keep yourselves fed and hydrated, won't
you? .

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"

wafflycat
May 24th 07, 04:31 PM
Thanks all *hugely* guys.

A quick note as I'm briefly back home for a swift cup of tea & freshen up
before going back up to the Land Of The Sick.

Plus side:- hip not broken - Hurrah!

Plus side:- College have everything in hand as regards back-up plans for
exams. Mentioned already - apparently exam board contacted & aware of
everything - scribe sorted - extra time sorted - Nathan told by college not
to worry.

Down side:- No CAT scan yet. No op yet. Mixed ward, Nathan in with some
seriously elderly and frail people of both sexes. Not good for him or them
really. Road rash oozing lots of horrible stuff but at least it's
non-infected stuff - it's clean. Shoulder painful and hip still the size of
a melon.

Going back soon with his dad, so he can see his dad as well as his mum.

John B
May 24th 07, 04:52 PM
Trevor A Panther wrote:

> "Roos Eisma" > wrote in message
>
> > I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
> > couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...
> >
> > Roos
>
> I had a look at the hospital website but couldn't find an email access. But
> once Nathan is able to cope he should be able to have access to the net via
> his bedside system. Hopefully we can then amuse him with several ribald
> tales -- and pictures of grapes!

It would be good to have some direct responses from the lad himself.

Hope he recovers soon.

John B

Simon Mason
May 24th 07, 04:54 PM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

Jeez - hope everything goes OK Helen.
Good luck to Nathan and a speedy recovery.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Brooke
May 24th 07, 05:38 PM
in message >, wafflycat
') wrote:

> Thanks all *hugely* guys.
>
> A quick note as I'm briefly back home for a swift cup of tea & freshen up
> before going back up to the Land Of The Sick.
>
> Plus side:- hip not broken - Hurrah!
>
> Plus side:- College have everything in hand as regards back-up plans for
> exams. Mentioned already - apparently exam board contacted & aware of
> everything - scribe sorted - extra time sorted - Nathan told by college
> not to worry.
>
> Down side:- No CAT scan yet. No op yet.

Do you /want/ him to have an op? Surely, if they can get the bones aligned
and healing /without/ opening him up that's preferable? Of course, if they
reckon he really needs the op then sooner has to be better, but is that
clear yet?

> Mixed ward, Nathan in with some
> seriously elderly and frail people of both sexes. Not good for him or
> them really.

That's more or less inevitable. Orthopaedic wards tend to be full of the
old and doddery because they fall more and break easier.

> Road rash oozing lots of horrible stuff but at least it's
> non-infected stuff - it's clean. Shoulder painful and hip still the size
> of a melon.
>
> Going back soon with his dad, so he can see his dad as well as his mum.

Helen, hold on to the idea of how much worse it could be. He was picked up
quickly and is getting decent levels of care from people who almost
certainly know what they're doing. His chances of a perfect recovery are
nearly certain. And it will cost you very little to ensure that. Sixty
years ago or two thousand miles away, none of that would be true.

He's going to have a very boring and rather unpleasant few days in
hospital, followed by a much longer period of being bored, uncomfortable
and fractious around the house, but he's going to be OK and he will almost
certainly be racing again before the end of the season.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Simon Brooke
May 24th 07, 05:43 PM
in message >, Daniel Barlow
') wrote:

> I Am Not Medically Qualified, but want to echo this: I remember being
> told after previous shoulder injuries (soft tissue, obviously bones are
> different) that it's important to keep using the joint if you want the
> full ROM, otherwise you get scar tissue growing in and end up having to
> hold your drink in the other hand. Some places will just say "well,
> don't ride again until it's healed", it may be worth finding a sports
> physio who understands that you (well, Nathan) *want* to ride again and
> can tell you how to get back to that point faster.

Oh, yes!

Important.

No, I'm not medically qualified either. But the first time I broke my back,
when moving hurt I thought, 'oh, I shouldn't do that', and consequently
didn't do any of the kinds of moving that hurt. Over a period of six
months I lost movement in both shoulders to the point where I was
virtually crippled, and the physiotherapist I went to to get sorted out
said if I'd left it much longer the damage would have lost movement
permanently. So the second time I broke my back, as soon as they allowed
me to exercise, I exercised; and I kept exercising, even when it hurt.

"The result is a language that... not even its mother could
love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
committee. Camels do have their uses."
;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

Tony B
May 24th 07, 06:33 PM
wafflycat wrote:
> Thanks all *hugely* guys.

Hope it's all sorted soon, I know how distressing it is watching one's
offspring lie in a hospital bed. He'll be home soon and mended not long
after that, eh? Before long you'll be sick of having him under your feet :-)

chin up,

Tony B

PS how's the bike????

Mike Sales
May 24th 07, 06:58 PM
Best recovery wished for, for Nathan. His youth and fitness are on his side.
My own problems began with a broken pelvis, made more serious by hospital
neglect. I have since realised that pushing oneself in spite of a little
pain is necessary for recovery, as Simon and others have said.
Mike Sales

Adam Lea
May 24th 07, 07:10 PM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being part of
> the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars with him and
> Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring anyone else down,
> Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the group over to the side
> away from the rest of the bunch according to someone who was there.
>
> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the bunch.
> Such is the way of things.
>
> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E staff
> at the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the wounds and
> also according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of bloody bits, she now
> understands why cyclists shave their legs as it made it really easy for
> her to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to ensure the wound could be
> thoroughly cleaned to her even higher standard.
>
> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan last
> night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of races, last
> season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the morphine kicked in to
> Nathan, natters were had about bikes and fettling.
>
> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on Nathan's
> shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on with his right
> hip. He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come up and his hip was
> causing him more pain than his broken shoulder. There were mutterings
> about hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence without the mention of
> shoulder, and we could not get it confirmed last night if his hip is or
> isn't broken - we'll be pressing to find out more about that today.
>
> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
> small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
> totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle on
> bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a
> ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!
>
> In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly
> became light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and laid on
> a trolly (next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on trolleys in
> front of me) to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot sweet tea & couple of
> biscuits each was rapidly provided for Vernon & I which was very welcome
> and did the trick to get Vernon back on his feet. I was gald of that, as I
> really didn't want both husband & son admitted to hospital - it's bad
> enough with just the son admitted!
>
> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.
>
> Cheers, helen s

My best wishes to you all. I must admit that coming off the bike at speed
has always been one of my worst fears.

Is your husband diabetic?

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 24th 07, 07:33 PM
wafflycat wrote on 24/05/2007 09:11 +0100:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

A nice cup of tea and a sit down will make the world much better.

> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large &
> small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi shorts
> totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake lever/saddle
> on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we are having a
> ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!

He's young and should mend quickly at which time it will turn into big
cajones with his mates. Don't burn his trophies before he's well and
truly decided he doesn't want them any more.

> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to Nathan and Parents

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 24th 07, 07:34 PM
David Hansen wrote on 24/05/2007 09:52 +0100:

> That is sad. Hopefully he will mend as rapidly as possible.
> Youngsters tend to mend better and faster than oldies.

When I was young I was indestructible but now things break without even
asking.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 24th 07, 07:39 PM
Simon Brooke wrote on 24/05/2007 17:43 +0100:

> So the second time I broke my back, as soon as they allowed
> me to exercise, I exercised; and I kept exercising, even when it hurt.

Was that the cycling of on the bike with a broken back bit?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

wafflycat
May 24th 07, 08:54 PM
Thanks again all.

Some of Nathan's mates from college turned up at hospital this evening which
perked Nathan up wonderfully. Much appreciated - they're a good bunch. So
Vernon & I disappeared off for a coffee & a sandwich to let Nathan & his
mates have a natter. Sometimes a bloke needs his mum & dad about and
sometimes mum & dad need to back off & let a bloke enjoy a bit of time with
his mates to keep his chin up.

No scan yet, so still no further forward on knowing *exactly* what is
required to the shoulder. I'll be at the horse spittal in the morning.

the.Mark[_2_]
May 24th 07, 08:59 PM
In article >,
says...
> Best recovery wished for, for Nathan. His youth and fitness are on his side.
> My own problems began with a broken pelvis, made more serious by hospital
> neglect. I have since realised that pushing oneself in spite of a little
> pain is necessary for recovery, as Simon and others have said.
> Mike Sales

I used to work with a guy who broke his pelvis in a high speed
car crash and he recovered quickly. Quickly enough that he was
running marathons 6 months later.

Good luck to Nathan he sounds like a determined lad. I'm sure
he'll be back on the bike sooner than later.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Don Whybrow
May 24th 07, 09:36 PM
Carol Hague wrote:
> Brian G > wrote:
>
>> wafflycat wrote:
>
>>> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan) and
>>> Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.
>>
>> Very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. There's little more
>> to be said, really.
>
> Likewise - I hope he gets well quickly and as comfortably as possible
> under the circumstances.
>
> And remember - if you're going to look after him, you and Vernon also
> need to look after yourselves - keep yourselves fed and hydrated, won't
> you? .

Indeed, I couldn't have said it better.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.

Simon Brooke
May 24th 07, 09:39 PM
in message >, Tony Raven
') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 24/05/2007 17:43 +0100:
>
>> So the second time I broke my back, as soon as they allowed
>> me to exercise, I exercised; and I kept exercising, even when it hurt.
>
> Was that the cycling of on the bike with a broken back bit?

No, that was just stupidity!

;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming XSL processor.

Nigel Randell
May 24th 07, 10:26 PM
wafflycat wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being
> part of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars
> with him and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring
> anyone else down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the
> group over to the side away from the rest of the bunch according to
> someone who was there.
> B*gg*r. Thing is, he was doing very well, in the top quarter of the
> bunch. Such is the way of things.
>
> The St John's people attended immediately and, according to the A&E
> staff at the horsespittal, made a very good job of cleaning up the
> wounds and also according to the A&E nurse doing the dressing of
> bloody bits, she now understands why cyclists shave their legs as it
> made it really easy for her to spot any *really tiny* bits of dirt to
> ensure the wound could be thoroughly cleaned to her even higher
> standard.
> It was a huge relief to find that the orthopedic guy who saw Nathan
> last night was a fellow cyclist. he even raced the same series of
> races, last season, as Nathan was trying out last night. As the
> morphine kicked in to Nathan, natters were had about bikes and
> fettling.
> Today we'll find out just what is required as regards surgery on
> Nathan's shoulder and we will hopefully find out what is going on
> with his right hip. He got a haemotoma (sp?) the size of a melon come
> up and his hip was causing him more pain than his broken shoulder.
> There were mutterings about hip/pelvis/fracture in the same sentence
> without the mention of shoulder, and we could not get it confirmed
> last night if his hip is or isn't broken - we'll be pressing to find
> out more about that today.
> The rest of him all down his right side is covered in road rash large
> & small. Brand new Northwave skeleton jersey totalled, new DeMarchi
> shorts totalled, Bell 'CSC' lid totalled, glvoes totalled. Brake
> lever/saddle on bike in need of replacing. When Nathan gets home, we
> are having a ceremonial burning of kit in the garden!
>
> In A&E, Vernon & I had gone without food for 12 hrs. Vernon suddenly
> became light-headed & green at the edges, so was put on oxygen and
> laid on a trolly (next to Nathan - I had husband & son flaked out on
> trolleys in front of me) to stop him fainting. Duly a cup of hot
> sweet tea & couple of biscuits each was rapidly provided for Vernon &
> I which was very welcome and did the trick to get Vernon back on his
> feet. I was gald of that, as I really didn't want both husband & son
> admitted to hospital - it's bad enough with just the son admitted!
>
> Nathan may be operated on anytime between today (after the CAT scan)
> and Monday. So he's in horse spittal for a few days anyhow.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery

--

Nigel

Tom Crispin
May 24th 07, 10:35 PM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:11:03 +0100, "wafflycat"
> wrote:

>Bell 'CSC' lid totalled

Are you glad he was wearing one?

After my tap on the bonce, I'm wearing one again.

JP[_3_]
May 24th 07, 11:59 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
On 24 May, 09:11, "wafflycat" > wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.
>
> <snip details of tale of woe>
>
> Cheers, helen s

Wallycat,

as a serial lurker, I enjoy reading of your pootles and wanted to
delurk to pass on best wishes to you all, both from myself and the
many other lurkers who are out there.

me too.
bless you all.

Pyromancer
May 25th 07, 01:11 AM
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ambrose
Nankivell > gently breathed:
>wafflycat wrote:

>> Thanks guys.
>> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

>My best wishes to you all for a speedy recovery. Especially him, but
>it's hard on the parents too.

Seconded. And as everyone else has said, look after yourselves too!

>> The coming together of bikes was unintentional: the joys of being
>>part of the peloton. :-/ A guy alongside Nathan locked handlebars
>>with him and Nathan was off. In his youthful attempt not to bring
>>anyone else down, Nathan apparently barrel-rolled *away* from the
>>group over to the side away from the rest of the bunch according to
>>someone who was there.

>A noble lad.

Indeed - true sportsmanship and chivalry too. Bloody well done that
lad, I hope his recovery is total and pain free.

NP: Pink Floyd - High Hopes
--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Tim Dunne
May 25th 07, 01:34 AM
"Trevor A Panther" > wrote in message
.uk

> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"

Please accept my best wishes; it's no fun being in hospital when you really
want to be riding again.

Take care,

Tim
--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it’s

May 25th 07, 02:20 AM
On May 25, 12:31 am, "wafflycat" >
wrote:
> Thanks all *hugely* guys.
>
> A quick note as I'm briefly back home for a swift cup of tea & freshen up
> before going back up to the Land Of The Sick.
>
> Plus side:- hip not broken - Hurrah!
>
> Plus side:- College have everything in hand as regards back-up plans for
> exams. Mentioned already - apparently exam board contacted & aware of
> everything - scribe sorted - extra time sorted - Nathan told by college not
> to worry.
>
> Down side:- No CAT scan yet. No op yet. Mixed ward, Nathan in with some
> seriously elderly and frail people of both sexes. Not good for him or them
> really. Road rash oozing lots of horrible stuff but at least it's
> non-infected stuff - it's clean. Shoulder painful and hip still the size of
> a melon.

Re road rash - for when he gets home, peroxide applied via cotton buds
is an amazingly effective and painless way of cleaning it up (and
keeping it clean, eg removal of dressings).

Beats dettol and wire brush for sure - especially when you are last on
the ward for the wire brush :-)

James

Graeme Dods
May 25th 07, 04:53 AM
On May 24, 8:34 pm, Roos Eisma > wrote:

> I suppose we can start a group think about what Nathan will need in a
> couple of days time when he is stuck in hospital and bored...

Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).

Graeme

*best job I've ever had, surrounded by hundreds of mainly female
student nurses with only 2 other male members of staff. It's where I
met my wife.

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 25th 07, 07:24 AM
Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:

> Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
> tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
> sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
> fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).

You're creating more worries for Waffles.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

POHB
May 25th 07, 08:24 AM
On 24 May, 07:10, "Trevor A Panther" >
wrote:
> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus track
> last night when he locked handle bars with another bike.

Just to add my best wishes to the list. Looking on the bright side it
was better to fall of on a track than fall off in traffic.

Graeme Dods
May 25th 07, 08:38 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:
> >
> > Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
> > tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
> > sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
> > fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).
> >

> You're creating more worries for Waffles.

Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
crap time?

Graeme

*though mothers may well have an infinite worry capacity from my
experience.

Roos Eisma
May 25th 07, 09:01 AM
Graeme Dods > writes:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>> Graeme Dods wrote on 25/05/2007 04:53 +0100:
>> >
>> > Having worked some years back in a nurses training hospital* I can
>> > tell you if the stories I heard are even slightly accurate then I'm
>> > sure that the nurses will provide plenty of distractions for a young,
>> > fit lad (particularly one on a ward filled with old crumblies).
>> >

>> You're creating more worries for Waffles.

>Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
>to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
>crap time?

Plus he can't really do much more than watch, and enjoy the washing :)

Roos

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 25th 07, 09:37 AM
Roos Eisma wrote on 25/05/2007 09:01 +0100:
> Graeme Dods > writes:
>
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>>
>>> You're creating more worries for Waffles.
>
>> Assuming she has a finite capacity* for worry then surely it is better
>> to worry that he's having too much of a good time rather than a rather
>> crap time?
>
> Plus he can't really do much more than watch, and enjoy the washing :)

And show them all his haematoma ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

BigRab
May 25th 07, 10:45 AM
Better get Nathan in a big supply of T de F DVD's for his return
home :-)

Take care of him (and yourselves),

Robert

wafflycat
May 25th 07, 08:01 PM
He's home. Hurrah!

At last Nathan had his scan this morning. Got the results late this
afternoon. The location of the break in his shoulder blade means the docs
are content not to operate and to let time do the healing. Hurrah!

So I've got him home.

He's much happier as he was getting thoroughly depressed being on a mixed
ward of elderly with no privacy. The bed he's in at home is one where the
position of the mattress can be raised/lowered like a hospital bed, so he
can get into a relatively comfy position. It's arranged for the district
nurse to come in and do the wound dressings and he has his supply of
painkillers.

The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly being
run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she was treating
Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at all, doing it
*properly* despite the conflicting demands on her time.

His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood gorefest,
and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up so big, so
quickly, it overstretched the skin!

So, now to let him heal.

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 25th 07, 08:14 PM
wafflycat wrote on 25/05/2007 20:01 +0100:

> He's home. Hurrah!

Good news. Now you can fuss over him properly :-)

> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up
> so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!

jpegs!!

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Brian G
May 25th 07, 08:51 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> wafflycat wrote on 25/05/2007 20:01 +0100:

>> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
>> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came
>> up so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!
>>

> jpegs!!

Heaven forfend. I felt faint enough reading of the lad's condition!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

wafflycat
May 25th 07, 09:28 PM
"Brian G" > wrote in message
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> wafflycat wrote on 25/05/2007 20:01 +0100:
>
>>> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
>>> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up
>>> so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!
>>>

>> jpegs!!
>
> Heaven forfend. I felt faint enough reading of the lad's condition!

Well, I did say to Nathan, "Son, if you were a girlie and asked me if your
bum looks big in that, I'd have to give you the answer of a resounding
"YES!" " ;-)

Mark Thompson
May 25th 07, 09:42 PM
> The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly
> being run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she
> was treating Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at
> all, doing it *properly* despite the conflicting demands on her time.

I sense a letter naming and praising...

> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came
> up so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!

Any cool scars? In the mind of the average male, they make it all worth it
;)

wafflycat
May 25th 07, 10:29 PM
"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to _reply*.com> wrote in
message .4...
>> The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly
>> being run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she
>> was treating Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at
>> all, doing it *properly* despite the conflicting demands on her time.
>
> I sense a letter naming and praising...

Done. I'm a great believer in giving feedback. If a complaint is necessary,
I'll do it, but equally I think it's even more important that when something
is done well, positive feedback should be made.

Helen Deborah Vecht
May 25th 07, 10:54 PM
"wafflycat" >typed

> He's home. Hurrah!

Hurrah!

Let's hope he heals smoothly. Being stuck on a ward with old crumblies
sounds horrid!

I hope he has enough painkillers to last the whole Bank Holiday weekend
and more.

Be prepared for endless invasions of mates...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Danny Colyer
May 25th 07, 11:59 PM
Brian G wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>>jpegs!!
>
> Heaven forfend. I felt faint enough reading of the lad's condition!

Just make sure you have an oxygen cylinder handy when you look at the
jpegs. Then you can have tea and biscuits afterwards ;-)

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Daniel Barlow
May 26th 07, 12:49 AM
Mark Thompson wrote:
> Any cool scars? In the mind of the average male, they make it all worth it

I used to believe the conventional wisdom that "chicks dig scars", but
eventually came to the conclusion that this is a myth started by someone
mishearing their fondness for *cars*

-dan

p.k.
May 26th 07, 09:13 AM
wafflycat wrote:
> "Mark Thompson"
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to _reply*.com> wrote
> in message .4...
>>> The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly
>>> being run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she
>>> was treating Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at
>>> all, doing it *properly* despite the conflicting demands on her
>>> time.
>>
>> I sense a letter naming and praising...
>>

> Done. I'm a great believer in giving feedback. If a complaint is
> necessary, I'll do it, but equally I think it's even more important
> that when something is done well, positive feedback should be made.

I did that to Chichester hospital a few years ago. Letter to the chief exec
naming the members of staff and asking him to pass on our thanks. Got a very
nice letter back saying thanks for taking the trouble - so few people do.

pk

Alex Potter
May 26th 07, 11:14 AM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:10:37 +0000, Trevor A Panther wrote:

> I know that all regulars on here will know Helen "wafflycat"
>
> Her son Nathan was badly injured on a closed circuit race at the Lotus
> track last night when he locked handle bars with another bike. He is now
> in the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with a broken shoulder bone and
> possible broken pelvis and many bumps and abrasions
>
> Helen is obviously worried and upset and I feel that she would
> appreciate your support either on here, or by more personal contact if
> you know her well.
>
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.
> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Bugger!

Tell him to get well soon, wafflycat, and best wishes to the three of you
from this old fellow.

--
Regards
Alex

Elisa Francesca Roselli
May 26th 07, 06:26 PM
wafflycat wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> Thanks all. I'm just awake & about to have a restorative cup of tea.

Helen,

I'm really sorry to learn of Nathan's injury. Wishing him all the best
and I'm sure his recovery will be speedy because he is so excellently
supported by such fine and loving parents.

Hugs to all,

EFR
Ile de France

pete whelan
May 29th 07, 04:47 PM
Helen,

Make sure Nathan is enthusiastic with the physio when he gets told to do
it. It worked well for both Bev and myself when we broke bits

Pete

wafflycat wrote:

> He's home. Hurrah!
>
> At last Nathan had his scan this morning. Got the results late this
> afternoon. The location of the break in his shoulder blade means the
> docs are content not to operate and to let time do the healing. Hurrah!
>
> So I've got him home.
>
> He's much happier as he was getting thoroughly depressed being on a
> mixed ward of elderly with no privacy. The bed he's in at home is one
> where the position of the mattress can be raised/lowered like a hospital
> bed, so he can get into a relatively comfy position. It's arranged for
> the district nurse to come in and do the wound dressings and he has his
> supply of painkillers.
>
> The nurse on the ward all day today was a *treasure* despite clearly
> being run off her feet due to the demands placed on her, whilst she was
> treating Nathan she did it in a very caring way, not rushing at all,
> doing it *properly* despite the conflicting demands on her time.
>
> His road rash is spectaular, his bruising worthy of a Hollywood
> gorefest, and he has stretchmarks on his hip where the swelling came up
> so big, so quickly, it overstretched the skin!
>
> So, now to let him heal.

wafflycat
May 29th 07, 05:24 PM
"Pete Whelan" > wrote in message
> Helen,
>
> Make sure Nathan is enthusiastic with the physio when he gets told to do
> it. It worked well for both Bev and myself when we broke bits
>
> Pete

Will do. Indeed, there will be contact made with Jo Tym. Nathan's being
quite good already - trying to keep movement in it.

Sandy Morton
May 31st 07, 12:17 PM
In article >, Pete Whelan
> wrote:
> Make sure Nathan is enthusiastic with the physio when he gets told
> to do it.

Not always a great idea - ours is blonde and built the way a blonde
should be built. She also has a black belt in karate!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home