PDA

View Full Version : Shifter hoods

Brendo
May 24th 07, 07:05 AM
Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
issues.

Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
is incorrect.

Brendo

The Double Zero[_2_]
May 24th 07, 10:11 AM
Brendo Wrote:
> Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> issues.
>
> Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> is incorrect.
>
> BrendoSoumds to me like they are too far up, It should be comfortable with the
pressure on the ball of your palms. Go get it checked out by your local
Bike shop.

--
The Double Zero

adam85
May 24th 07, 12:38 PM
"Brendo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> issues.
>
> Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> is incorrect.
>
> Brendo

If you have broadband, have a look at the sample of Steve Hogg's "Sitty
Pretty" DVD at this site. You might find it helpful and better than my lame
description.

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com/

Adam

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 24th 07, 01:22 PM
On 23 May 2007 23:05:26 -0700, Brendo wrote:

> Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> issues.
>
> Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> is incorrect.

The usual recommendation is that the tips of the levers should be in line
with the straight section of the drops (or tangent to the end of them). But
I've seen quite a bit of variation from this, presumably due to personal
preference. I have them a bit lower, because I'm comfortable stretched out.

EuanB[_75_]
May 24th 07, 11:21 PM
Brendo Wrote:
> Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> issues.
>
> Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> is incorrect.

IMO it's all personal preference. My shifter hoods are placed so that
they're extensions of the flat bit of the bars, effectively turning the
bars in to bullhorns. I find that very comfortable, my LBS guy thinks
it looks absolutely hideous but if it's right for me, it's right for
me.

I did pay some attention to hood position on the TDF, there doesn't
seem to be a consensus. Some riders have the tip of the hood level
with the flat, others have them as I have them and others still have
variations.

Move them to where's comfortable for you.

--
EuanB

PiledHigher
May 25th 07, 01:05 AM
On May 25, 8:21 am, EuanB <EuanB.2r3...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Brendo Wrote:
>
> > Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> > location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> > be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> > drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> > issues.
>
> > Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> > around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> > is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> > is incorrect.
>
> IMO it's all personal preference. My shifter hoods are placed so that
> they're extensions of the flat bit of the bars, effectively turning the
> bars in to bullhorns. I find that very comfortable, my LBS guy thinks
> it looks absolutely hideous but if it's right for me, it's right for
> me.
>
> I did pay some attention to hood position on the TDF, there doesn't
> seem to be a consensus. Some riders have the tip of the hood level
> with the flat, others have them as I have them and others still have
> variations.
>
> Move them to where's comfortable for you.
>
> --
> EuanB

I'm with the flat approach, but that seems to be what campag are
aiming for, the 'normal' shimano position seems to be much higher.

As Euan said, find a comfortable spot for you..

Brendo
May 25th 07, 01:33 AM
On May 25, 8:05 am, PiledHigher > wrote:
> On May 25, 8:21 am, EuanB <EuanB.2r3...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Brendo Wrote:
>
> > > Shifter hoods were obviously designed to be mounted in a particular
> > > location on the bars. In relation to their design, are they meant to
> > > be a linear extension of the top of the bar, before it curves to the
> > > drop section? This is not taking into account comfort or reach
> > > issues.
>
> > > Mine are sitting closer to the rider and as such pointing upwards at
> > > around 30 - 40 degrees. When riding on the hoods, most of the pressure
> > > is in the webbing betwixt my thumb and forefinger. I am assuming this
> > > is incorrect.
>
> > IMO it's all personal preference. My shifter hoods are placed so that
> > they're extensions of the flat bit of the bars, effectively turning the
> > bars in to bullhorns. I find that very comfortable, my LBS guy thinks
> > it looks absolutely hideous but if it's right for me, it's right for
> > me.
>
> > I did pay some attention to hood position on the TDF, there doesn't
> > seem to be a consensus. Some riders have the tip of the hood level
> > with the flat, others have them as I have them and others still have
> > variations.
>
> > Move them to where's comfortable for you.
>
> > --
> > EuanB
>
> I'm with the flat approach, but that seems to be what campag are
> aiming for, the 'normal' shimano position seems to be much higher.
>
> As Euan said, find a comfortable spot for you..- Hide quoted text -

The shimano ones seem to be shaped to sit upwards from the bars,
whereas the Campy ones sit much flatter. Maybe there is no science
behind it, they just design it for where it feels comfortable to the
testing group.

I've rolled mine forward a little (Shimano) but there is still a
noticeable hook upwards. There is around a 40mm vertical gap between
the bottom of the levers and the bottom of the drops. I don't think
it's optimal, but then again it fits about as well as everything else
on my bike.

Brendo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home