PDA

View Full Version : Et tu, Zabel?

petulance
May 24th 07, 01:11 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6687307.stm

Looks like Telekom ran a stealthier operation than Festina in the 90s.

Shane Stanley
May 24th 07, 01:17 PM
In article om>,
petulance > wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6687307.stm
>
> Looks like Telekom ran a stealthier operation than Festina in the 90s.

That piece leaves out an important quote from Zabel: "It doesn't make
any difference whether it happened one time or over two years, the point
is that it was forbidden to dope, and I doped. I doped, I lied and I
apologize for that."

--
Shane Stanley

osc[_4_]
May 25th 07, 02:10 AM
Full credit to those who come out and admit they doped, it takes a big
man (woman) to do so. I've no doubt that there were more riders doping
than not and hopefully some others may now come out and admit their
mistakes for which their teams, sponsors and associates will generally
share the blame.

It is sad but a good thing for the sport.

What ramifications though? Surely no-one will be able to prove now that
they were completely clean and thus claim that they should have won a
race they lost to a 'doper'....

With Bjarne Riis to talk tomorrow there may be more honest
revelations..

My 2c

Stewart

--
osc

Michael Warner[_2_]
May 25th 07, 12:40 PM
On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:10:56 +1000, osc wrote:

> Full credit to those who come out and admit they doped

A bit less credit when their careers are over or almost over, though.

The Double Zero[_3_]
May 25th 07, 12:55 PM
Michael Warner Wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:10:56 +1000, osc wrote:
>
> > Full credit to those who come out and admit they doped
>
> A bit less credit when their careers are over or almost over, though.
>
> --
> Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvwCan't hold too much against Zabel though. He tried epo for 1 week in
1996, when it seems apparent that the enire peloton was most likely
using. He has had a magnificent career which in my opinion should not
be tarnished by this revelation.

--
The Double Zero

Parbs
May 25th 07, 10:43 PM
petulance wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6687307.stm
>
> Looks like Telekom ran a stealthier operation than Festina in the 90s.

http://procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2826

So who was the first "clean" rider in 96? Jan? mmm, Veranque? Not likely
Laurent Dufaux? Hmm he rode for Festina also. Peter Luttenberger maybe?

Parbs

Andrew Price[_2_]
May 27th 07, 12:59 AM
Stewart writes -

> I've no doubt that there were more riders doping
> than not >

Whilst ever the test remains testing or not testing positve to a banned
substance, the challenge will remain "my pharmacist can beat your
pharmacist".

Pro cycling is just a reflection of a wider community attitude - we are
awash in pharmacuticals but like to pretend the illegal ones aren't
happening, can be effectively restricted or are only used by ethically
inferior individuals.

Occasional occurences of honesty are however unusual and welcome.

Zabel was a remarkable athlete, whatever he was on, and that most remarkable
of creatures, a likeable sprinter.

Shine on Erik.

best, Andrew

Zebee Johnstone
May 27th 07, 01:30 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 27 May 2007 09:59:56 +1000
Andrew Price > wrote:

> Stewart writes -
>
>> I've no doubt that there were more riders doping
>> than not >
>
> Whilst ever the test remains testing or not testing positve to a banned
> substance, the challenge will remain "my pharmacist can beat your
> pharmacist".
>
> Pro cycling is just a reflection of a wider community attitude - we are
> awash in pharmacuticals but like to pretend the illegal ones aren't
> happening, can be effectively restricted or are only used by ethically
> inferior individuals.

Whereas use of legal ones is heavily encouraged with some lip service
to problems.

(consider the heavy advertising of vitamin supplements, caffeine,
feelgood things like chocolate, and so on. never mind alcohol!)

I think most people comprehend that legal/illegal is just about whose
money speaks more...

Zebee

ProfTournesol[_23_]
May 27th 07, 07:23 AM
The Double Zero Wrote:
> Can't hold too much against Zabel though. He tried epo for 1 week in
> 1996, when it seems apparent that the enire peloton was most likely
> using. He has had a magnificent career which in my opinion should not
> be tarnished by this revelation.

well, he says he tried it for one week. Could it be one of those "I
didn't inhale" type of confessions?

--
ProfTournesol

Google