PDA

View Full Version : Refueling

Jorg Lueke
May 27th 07, 10:17 PM
In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
eat a few calories along the way. Does it matter much what one eats?
Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride? I
would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
your riding but maybe not as good after you are done. While more
complex carbs like trail mix and pasta (who carries pasta salad? I've
seen some!) seem better after the ride. But does it make a big
difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?

Claire Petersky
May 28th 07, 02:44 AM
"Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
> eat a few calories along the way.

Yes.

> Does it matter much what one eats?

Yes.

> Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride?

Yes.

> I would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
> you're riding

Yes, depending on the length of the ride.

> (who carries pasta salad? I've seen some!)

Usually a rice salad, either French or Chinese style, for a long ride.

> But does it make a big
> difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?

Depends on a lot of things. If you're riding 50 miles in two hours, I'd
think you'd need more refueling than if you're riding 30 in three.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

nash
May 28th 07, 03:33 PM
"Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
> eat a few calories along the way. Does it matter much what one eats?
> Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride? I
> would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
> your riding but maybe not as good after you are done. While more
> complex carbs like trail mix and pasta (who carries pasta salad? I've
> seen some!) seem better after the ride. But does it make a big
> difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?

I thought protein would be the choice during the ride for your muscle use.

Jorg Lueke
May 28th 07, 04:02 PM
On May 28, 3:33 pm, "nash" > wrote:
> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
> > eat a few calories along the way. Does it matter much what one eats?
> > Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride? I
> > would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
> > your riding but maybe not as good after you are done. While more
> > complex carbs like trail mix and pasta (who carries pasta salad? I've
> > seen some!) seem better after the ride. But does it make a big
> > difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?
>
> I thought protein would be the choice during the ride for your muscle use.

Muscles are rebuilt as you rest. So I'd think you'd want more of
those during your rest or light activity days but not around or duing
the actual rides. This site, in my opinion, does a decent job of
listing the basic options for most common types of rides

http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm

Edward Dolan
May 28th 07, 04:11 PM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
>> eat a few calories along the way.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it matter much what one eats?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
>> you're riding
>
> Yes, depending on the length of the ride.
>
>> (who carries pasta salad? I've seen some!)
>
> Usually a rice salad, either French or Chinese style, for a long ride.
>
>> But does it make a big
>> difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?
>
> Depends on a lot of things. If you're riding 50 miles in two hours, I'd
> think you'd need more refueling than if you're riding 30 in three.

Claire with the Slavic last name never tires of advising us what we should
eat and drink, but I require more details. Please Claire with the Slavic
last name, tell us what you nibble on when you ride your trusty bicycle.
Spare us nothing. Your domesticity is always a delight for all of us male
slobs to ponder here on RBM.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Jorg Lueke
May 28th 07, 04:52 PM
On May 28, 4:02 pm, Jorg Lueke > wrote:
> On May 28, 3:33 pm, "nash" > wrote:
>
> > "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > > In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
> > > eat a few calories along the way. Does it matter much what one eats?
> > > Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride? I
> > > would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
> > > your riding but maybe not as good after you are done. While more
> > > complex carbs like trail mix and pasta (who carries pasta salad? I've
> > > seen some!) seem better after the ride. But does it make a big
> > > difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?
>
> > I thought protein would be the choice during the ride for your muscle use.
>
> Muscles are rebuilt as you rest. So I'd think you'd want more of
> those during your rest or light activity days but not around or duing
> the actual rides. This site, in my opinion, does a decent job of
> listing the basic options for most common types of rides
>
> http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm

I suppose I should have just read the faq :P

http://draco.nac.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.20.html

nash
May 29th 07, 03:34 PM
"Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 28, 3:33 pm, "nash" > wrote:
>> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > In the middle of burning 2000 calories it seems to be a good idea to
>> > eat a few calories along the way. Does it matter much what one eats?
>> > Does it make a difference if it's during rather than after a ride? I
>> > would think simple sugars like fruit and even candy would be OK while
>> > your riding but maybe not as good after you are done. While more
>> > complex carbs like trail mix and pasta (who carries pasta salad? I've
>> > seen some!) seem better after the ride. But does it make a big
>> > difference in general for 2-3 hours 30-50 miles?
>>
>> I thought protein would be the choice during the ride for your muscle
>> use.
>

> Muscles are rebuilt as you rest. So I'd think you'd want more of
> those during your rest or light activity days but not around or duing
> the actual rides. This site, in my opinion, does a decent job of
> listing the basic options for most common types of rides
>
> http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm

Well, even chicken is only 15% protein so it would not hurt to have it
assimilated for when you stop the ride. Our company nurse said to eat
protein during work and carbohydrates to help you sleep which seems to be
the reverse but maybe both are good.

Tom Keats
May 29th 07, 07:41 PM
In article <KRW6i.236508$aG1.174023@pd7urf3no>,
"nash" > writes:

> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On May 28, 3:33 pm, "nash" > wrote:
>>> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ups.com...

>>> I thought protein would be the choice during the ride for your muscle
>>> use.
>>

>> Muscles are rebuilt as you rest. So I'd think you'd want more of
>> those during your rest or light activity days but not around or duing
>> the actual rides. This site, in my opinion, does a decent job of
>> listing the basic options for most common types of rides
>>
>> http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm
>
> Well, even chicken is only 15% protein so it would not hurt to have it
> assimilated for when you stop the ride. Our company nurse said to eat
> protein during work and carbohydrates to help you sleep which seems to be
> the reverse but maybe both are good.

I think for a non-racing rider a certain balance of
simple and complex carbs, plus some protein is good.
I believe having some protein helps buffer the rate
at which the carbs are metabolized. And protein-y
foods satisfy, and keep the hunger pangs at bay for
longer periods, so one can think more clearly.

Peanut butter & jam sandwiches on whole-grain bread
have all that. Protein in the peanut butter, simple
carbs in the jam, complex carbs in the whole-grain
bread. Also, PBJ sandwiches are portable, they last
for a while out of the fridge, and they don't
disintegrate in your hands while you're eating them.

I think the main thing is to avoid eating too much
oily/fatty/greasy/rich stuff while exercising.
PBJ sandwiches - good.
Oyster, anchovie & double cheese pizza - not so good.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Jorg Lueke
May 30th 07, 04:56 AM
On May 29, 7:41 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <KRW6i.236508$aG1.174023@pd7urf3no>,
> "nash" > writes:
>

> > "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> ups.com...

> >> Muscles are rebuilt as you rest. So I'd think you'd want more of
> >> those during your rest or light activity days but not around or duing
> >> the actual rides. This site, in my opinion, does a decent job of
> >> listing the basic options for most common types of rides
>
> >>http://www.cptips.com/sixrides.htm
>
> > Well, even chicken is only 15% protein so it would not hurt to have it
> > assimilated for when you stop the ride. Our company nurse said to eat
> > protein during work and carbohydrates to help you sleep which seems to be
> > the reverse but maybe both are good.
>
> I think for a non-racing rider a certain balance of
> simple and complex carbs, plus some protein is good.
> I believe having some protein helps buffer the rate
> at which the carbs are metabolized. And protein-y
> foods satisfy, and keep the hunger pangs at bay for
> longer periods, so one can think more clearly.
>
> Peanut butter & jam sandwiches on whole-grain bread
> have all that. Protein in the peanut butter, simple
> carbs in the jam, complex carbs in the whole-grain
> bread. Also, PBJ sandwiches are portable, they last
> for a while out of the fridge, and they don't
> disintegrate in your hands while you're eating them.
>
> I think the main thing is to avoid eating too much
> oily/fatty/greasy/rich stuff while exercising.
> PBJ sandwiches - good.
> Oyster, anchovie & double cheese pizza - not so good.
>
> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Thanks Tom. I dfinitely agree on the fatty stuff. I try to avoid fat
in general as it slows you down regardless of whether your biking or
working.

Roger Zoul
May 30th 07, 12:57 PM
Jorg Lueke wrote:
:: On May 29, 7:41 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
::: In article <KRW6i.236508$aG1.174023@pd7urf3no>,
::: "nash" > writes:
:::
:::
:::
:::
:::
:::: "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
:::: ups.com...
::::: On May 28, 3:33 pm, "nash" > wrote:
:::::: "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
:::
:::::: ups.com...
:::
[...]
::: --
::: Nothing is safe from me.
::: Above address is just a spam midden.
::: I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca
::
:: Thanks Tom. I dfinitely agree on the fatty stuff. I try to avoid
:: fat in general as it slows you down regardless of whether your
:: biking or working.

Complex carbs? Come on, guys...carbs are carbs....whole grain bread is as
good a carb as simple carbs....also, PB is more fat than anything else (by
weight and by % calories).

http://www.jif.com/products/details.asp?prodID=325

I don't see why fat would slow one down in a ride...the problem is, it might
not help you climb hills very fast....

Edward Dolan
May 30th 07, 03:41 PM
news:MKudnaJThsetbMfbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Claire with the Slavic last name never tires of advising us what we should
> eat and drink, but I require more details. Please Claire with the Slavic
> last name, tell us what you nibble on when you ride your trusty bicycle.
> Spare us nothing. Your domesticity is always a delight for all of us male
> slobs to ponder here on RBM.

Claire of the Slavic last name obviously knows next to nothing about what
hard working cyclists need in the way of fuel. We needs lots of fat, salt
and sugar. You can get this in any convenience store. I recommend several
Milky Way candy bars, several packages of potato chips and several bottles
of soda pop. You should have this every hour or so. That way you will get
all the fat, salt and sugar that you need to keep on cycling.

If you are in Wisconsin, you can fuel up on beer. Every other house along
your route will have a beer parlor in the basement where you can go and
chug-a-lug as much as you please. Mr. Tom Sherman of this newsgroup, ARBR ,
will guide you to these very desirable hovels.

But don't blame me if you end up looking like a typical Wisconsin cyclist -
a big fat belly and weighing 100 pounds more than you should. I do believe
Wisconsin has the fattest slobs on earth and Wisconsin cyclists are no
exception to the prevailing zeitgeist that exists there. What is really
disgusting is that these Wisconsin cyclists like to wear tight fitting
clothing so that we can all appreciate just how revolting they are.

By the way, only slender teenagers should ever wear tight fitting clothing.
The rest of us should be wearing tents.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

JimmyMac
May 31st 07, 02:00 PM
On May 30, 9:41 am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> "Edward Dolan" > wrote in message
>
> news:MKudnaJThsetbMfbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@prairiewave. com...
>

> > "Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >> "Jorg Lueke" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> >> Yes.

> >> Yes.

> >> Yes.

> >> Yes, depending on the length of the ride.

> >> Usually a rice salad, either French or Chinese style, for a long ride.

> >> Depends on a lot of things. If you're riding 50 miles in two hours, I'd
> >> think you'd need more refueling than if you're riding 30 in three.
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > Claire with the Slavic last name never tires of advising us what we should
> > eat and drink, but I require more details. Please Claire with the Slavic
> > last name, tell us what you nibble on when you ride your trusty bicycle.
> > Spare us nothing. Your domesticity is always a delight for all of us male
> > slobs to ponder here on RBM.
>
> Claire of the Slavic last name obviously knows next to nothing about what
> hard working cyclists need in the way of fuel. We needs lots of fat, salt
> and sugar. You can get this in any convenience store. I recommend several
> Milky Way candy bars, several packages of potato chips and several bottles
> of soda pop. You should have this every hour or so. That way you will get
> all the fat, salt and sugar that you need to keep on cycling.
>
> If you are in Wisconsin, you can fuel up on beer. Every other house along
> your route will have a beer parlor in the basement where you can go and
> chug-a-lug as much as you please. Mr. Tom Sherman of this newsgroup, ARBR ,
> will guide you to these very desirable hovels.
>
> But don't blame me if you end up looking like a typical Wisconsin cyclist -
> a big fat belly and weighing 100 pounds more than you should. I do believe
> Wisconsin has the fattest slobs on earth and Wisconsin cyclists are no
> exception to the prevailing zeitgeist that exists there. What is really
> disgusting is that these Wisconsin cyclists like to wear tight fitting
> clothing so that we can all appreciate just how revolting they are.
>
> By the way, only slender teenagers should ever wear tight fitting clothing.
> The rest of us should be wearing tents.

More dogmatic rubbish for the man who does it best. There are no
teenagers in the professional peloton and they all wear tight fitting
clotthing and look quite good in it too.

Jim McNamara

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
June 1st 07, 01:29 AM
"JimmyMac" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 30, 9:41 am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
[...]
>> > Claire with the Slavic last name never tires of advising us what we
>> > should
>> > eat and drink, but I require more details. Please Claire with the
>> > Slavic
>> > last name, tell us what you nibble on when you ride your trusty
>> > bicycle.
>> > Spare us nothing. Your domesticity is always a delight for all of us
>> > male
>> > slobs to ponder here on RBM.
>>
>> Claire of the Slavic last name obviously knows next to nothing about what
>> hard working cyclists need in the way of fuel. We needs lots of fat, salt
>> and sugar. You can get this in any convenience store. I recommend several
>> Milky Way candy bars, several packages of potato chips and several
>> bottles
>> of soda pop. You should have this every hour or so. That way you will
>> get
>> all the fat, salt and sugar that you need to keep on cycling.
>>
>> If you are in Wisconsin, you can fuel up on beer. Every other house along
>> your route will have a beer parlor in the basement where you can go and
>> chug-a-lug as much as you please. Mr. Tom Sherman of this newsgroup, ARBR
>> ,
>> will guide you to these very desirable hovels.
>>
>> But don't blame me if you end up looking like a typical Wisconsin
>> cyclist -
>> a big fat belly and weighing 100 pounds more than you should. I do
>> believe
>> Wisconsin has the fattest slobs on earth and Wisconsin cyclists are no
>> exception to the prevailing zeitgeist that exists there. What is really
>> disgusting is that these Wisconsin cyclists like to wear tight fitting
>> clothing so that we can all appreciate just how revolting they are.
>>
>> By the way, only slender teenagers should ever wear tight fitting
>> clothing.
>> The rest of us should be wearing tents.
>
> More dogmatic rubbish for the man who does it best. There are no
> teenagers in the professional peloton and they all wear tight fitting
> clotthing and look quite good in it too.

Obesity is rampant in this country. Teenagers are fatter than ever. It has
become a disease which is sapping the strength of the nation. We are doomed
if we continue on our present path.

Pelotons don't matter. They never have and they never will.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
June 1st 07, 01:34 AM

If one is riding the Sugar River Trail, this is a must stop: <http://
www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.htm>.

> But don't blame me if you end up looking like a typical Wisconsin cyclist -
> a big fat belly and weighing 100 pounds more than you should. I do believe
> Wisconsin has the fattest slobs on earth and Wisconsin cyclists are no
> exception to the prevailing zeitgeist that exists there. What is really
> disgusting is that these Wisconsin cyclists like to wear tight fitting
> clothing so that we can all appreciate just how revolting they are....

Then there are the Wisconsin specialties of bratwursts, butter burgers
and frozen custard to accompany the beer.

--
Tom "Beer is Food" Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

Jorg Lueke
June 1st 07, 03:39 AM
On Jun 1, 1:34 am, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman >
> Then there are the Wisconsin specialties of bratwursts, butter burgers
> and frozen custard to accompany the beer.
>
> --
> Tom "Beer is Food" Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Isn't frozen custard the reason God created Milwaukee?

Edward Dolan
June 1st 07, 05:21 AM
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On May 30, 9:41 am, Mr. Ed Dolan wrote:
>> If you are in Wisconsin, you can fuel up on beer. Every other house along
>> your route will have a beer parlor in the basement where you can go and
>> chug-a-lug as much as you please. Mr. Tom Sherman of this newsgroup, ARBR
>> ,
>> will guide you to these very desirable hovels.
>
> If one is riding the Sugar River Trail, this is a must stop: <http://
> www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.htm>.
>
>> But don't blame me if you end up looking like a typical Wisconsin
>> cyclist -
>> a big fat belly and weighing 100 pounds more than you should. I do
>> believe
>> Wisconsin has the fattest slobs on earth and Wisconsin cyclists are no
>> exception to the prevailing zeitgeist that exists there. What is really
>> disgusting is that these Wisconsin cyclists like to wear tight fitting
>> clothing so that we can all appreciate just how revolting they are....
>
> Then there are the Wisconsin specialties of bratwursts, butter burgers
> and frozen custard to accompany the beer.
>
> Tom "Beer is Food" Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

I hope Claire with the Slavic last name is taking all of this good stuff in.
I'm going out to my kitchen now and get a pizza out of the fridge. It is my
understanding that tomato sauce is very good for one's health. l will have a
bit of the old vino too as it is suppose to be good for the blood
circulation (according to the latest TV bulletin). Yea, live healthy or die!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Google