PDA

View Full Version : Commutte from Box Hill

Dave A
May 29th 07, 06:59 AM
Guys,
I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.

Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
Canterbury/Barkers???

Cheers
DaveA

eddiec[_3_]
May 29th 07, 07:15 AM
Dave A Wrote:
> Guys,
> I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.
>
> Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> Canterbury/Barkers???
>
> Cheers
> DaveA

That's my regular commute - Box Hill to CBD (well, Nth MElbourne)

There's a bundle of options really. I used to usually (when I worked in
the CBD) rip down the east-west backstreets between Whitehorse and
Belmore Roads until I get to Kew Junction, then it's straight down High
St, High St Sth, Church St, Bridge Rd (or do a short detour to Highett
St for the Richmond stretch and avoid the worst of the traffic), then
through East Melbourne to the city...

My current route to Nth Melbourne is on bikely so you can have a look:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Box-Hill-North-to-North-Melbourne

Don't overlook Mont Albert Rd - nice run down there...

--
eddiec

Stuart Lamble[_10_]
May 29th 07, 07:22 AM
On 2007-05-29, Dave A > wrote:
> Guys,
> I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.
>
> Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> Canterbury/Barkers???

Mont Albert Road, perhaps? I don't cycle out that way, so I don't know
what it's like for cyclists, and the linkup puts you onto Barkers. But
it might be a starting point ...

Dave A
May 29th 07, 07:55 AM
On May 29, 4:15 pm, eddiec <eddiec.2rc...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Dave A Wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> > I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.
>
> > Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> > road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> > fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> > Canterbury/Barkers???
>
> > Cheers
> > DaveA
>
> That's my regular commute - Box Hill to CBD (well, Nth MElbourne)
>
> There's a bundle of options really. I used to usually (when I worked in
> the CBD) rip down the east-west backstreets between Whitehorse and
> Belmore Roads until I get to Kew Junction, then it's straight down High
> St, High St Sth, Church St, Bridge Rd (or do a short detour to Highett
> St for the Richmond stretch and avoid the worst of the traffic), then
> through East Melbourne to the city...
>
> My current route to Nth Melbourne is on bikely so you can have a look:http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Box-Hill-North-to-North-Melbourne
>
> Don't overlook Mont Albert Rd - nice run down there...
>
> --
> eddiec

Ta. I had looked at bikely but had not spotted your route. This looks
like a good base to build my possible commute on...

roshea[_46_]
May 29th 07, 08:02 AM
I use Mont Albert Rd, Sackville St and Wellington St to Kew then Studley
Park Rd. These roads are much quieter than Canterbury or Whitehorse Rds,
you just need to watch for the school traffic.

--
roshea

Bleve
May 29th 07, 08:32 AM
On May 29, 3:59 pm, Dave A > wrote:
> Guys,
> I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.
>
> Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> Canterbury/Barkers???

I use Whitehorse and Canterbury, depending on where I'm going. I
prefer traffic to random surprises in back streets.

YMMV ...

vaudegiant[_4_]
May 30th 07, 12:04 AM
Bleve Wrote:
> On May 29, 3:59 pm, Dave A > wrote:
> > Guys,
> > I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to
> CBD.
> >
> > Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> > road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> > fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> > Canterbury/Barkers???
>
> I use Whitehorse and Canterbury, depending on where I'm going. I
> prefer traffic to random surprises in back streets.
>
> YMMV ...

Mont Albert Rd is a great run except for the squeeze point near Balwyn
Rd. Then Sackville, Wellington and Stevensons Sts to Yarra Blvd. I never
have problems down these streets. The road surface along Barkers road is
pretty crap and I find drivers pretty crap along there too usually.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Wilfred[_2_]
June 1st 07, 11:33 AM
Dave A wrote:
> Guys,
> I know there are a few of you that ride from the East of Melb to CBD.
>
> Any tips for a commutte from Box Hill. I tend to like to ride on the
> road. My current commutte goes straight down Plenty road which is
> fine. However Whitehorse Road looks a little dubious...any tips??
> Canterbury/Barkers???
>
> Cheers
> DaveA

Just a suggestion. I haven't done this myself. Get off Mont Albert Rd at
The Ridge then across Canterbury and down Loch or Russell Sts, onto
Broadway to Burke (Only 10meters on Burke) down Burwood road to
Richmond. As I recall these are pretty quiet. Roads closer to Burke
have lots of parked cars particularly around Broughton Hall nursing
home. I think the main hassle would be crossing Canterbury Road . I
can't recall if there are lights between Burke and Stanhope.

Wilfred

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home