PDA

View Full Version : Triple conversion

Doki
May 29th 07, 11:12 AM
Anyone got any idea what a triple conversion would cost for an old square
taper BB raleigh banana road bike? It's got down tube shifters and I'm not
especially bothered about swapping them...

vernon
May 29th 07, 11:25 AM
"Doki" > wrote in message
> Anyone got any idea what a triple conversion would cost for an old square
> taper BB raleigh banana road bike? It's got down tube shifters and I'm not
> especially bothered about swapping them...
Find the cheapest triple chainset, bottom bracket, and front and rear
derailleurs that you are prepared to accept as useable, add their costs
together and Robert's your father's uncle.

You might get away without replacing the rear mechanism if it is a long arm
version.
try the following web sites for prices:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk
http://www.wiggle.com
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk

HTH

-=V=-

Doki
May 29th 07, 11:58 AM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "Doki" > wrote in message
>> Anyone got any idea what a triple conversion would cost for an old square
>> taper BB raleigh banana road bike? It's got down tube shifters and I'm
>> not especially bothered about swapping them...
> Find the cheapest triple chainset, bottom bracket, and front and rear
> derailleurs that you are prepared to accept as useable, add their costs
> together and Robert's your father's uncle.
>
> You might get away without replacing the rear mechanism if it is a long
> arm version.
> try the following web sites for prices:

Not a lot of change from £100 then. Might be worth going for a different
cassette or small ring then - IIRC the small ring's a 42...

Nigel Cliffe
May 29th 07, 07:10 PM
Doki wrote:
> "vernon" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Doki" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone got any idea what a triple conversion would cost for an old
>>> square taper BB raleigh banana road bike? It's got down tube
>>> shifters and I'm not especially bothered about swapping them...
>> Find the cheapest triple chainset, bottom bracket, and front and rear
>> derailleurs that you are prepared to accept as useable, add their
>> costs together and Robert's your father's uncle.
>>
>> You might get away without replacing the rear mechanism if it is a
>> long arm version.
>> try the following web sites for prices:
>
> Not a lot of change from £100 then. Might be worth going for a
> different cassette or small ring then - IIRC the small ring's a 42...

Depends on the PCD of the fixing bolts. If its 130mm (road standard double)
then you can only go down to 39, which is hardly worth the change. If its
110mm you can go a lot smaller (34 or 36 IIRC).

Alternative methods, which may be cheaper than £100:
I think Spa have triples in 28/38/48 for £25.
Bottom bracket would be either the cheapest cartridge you can find (£10?) or
a replacement axle (£5?).
Rear mech under £20 (£15 at a push), front mech under £15 (can afford to be
cheap on this, it doesn't do much most of the time).
Think I'm nearer £60-65 than £100.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

TimHenderson
May 29th 07, 10:37 PM
Anyone got any experience of the triple converter - as advertised on M-
gineering's website :

TA triple converter
This chainwheel (39T, 130mm or 135mm BCD) converts a double into a
triple.
The extended ears allow the fitting of a grannyring on a smaller
boltcircle.
This TA ring is available to fit Shimano (130mm bcd) or Campagnolo
(135mm bcd)
cranksets without modification, unlike the Stronglight or recently
introduced Dura Ace.
A longer bracketaxle could be required, allthough on some frames with
a cartridge
style bracketunit you can get away with a 3mm spacer to move the
chainline.
However with a fat seattube the limited adjustability of the front
derailleur
might necessitate a proper triple axle.

€ 45,- without axle or third chainring

Note: older STI (7sp, 8sp and Dura-ace) will usually not handle a
triple,
with friction or Ergopower shifters you will have no problems. You
might need
a triple derailleur though to prevent chainrub

http://www.m-gineering.nl/indexg.htm

On 29 May, 11:12, "Doki" > wrote:
> Anyone got any idea what a triple conversion would cost for an old square
> taper BB raleigh banana road bike? It's got down tube shifters and I'm not
> especially bothered about swapping them...

Pete Biggs
May 30th 07, 12:37 AM
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>> Not a lot of change from £100 then. Might be worth going for a
>> different cassette or small ring then - IIRC the small ring's a 42...
>
> Depends on the PCD of the fixing bolts. If its 130mm (road standard
> double) then you can only go down to 39,

38

> which is hardly worth the
> change. If its 110mm you can go a lot smaller (34 or 36 IIRC).

33

Full BCD list & table to convert centre-centre to BCD:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

In other words, Doki, measure the distance from the middle of one bolt to an
adjacent bolt, and use the table to find out the BCD and minimum ring size.

~PB

Phil Cook
May 30th 07, 05:40 AM
Pete Biggs wrote:

>Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>> Doki wrote:
>>> Not a lot of change from £100 then. Might be worth going for a
>>> different cassette or small ring then - IIRC the small ring's a 42...
>>
>> Depends on the PCD of the fixing bolts. If its 130mm (road standard
>> double) then you can only go down to 39,
>
>38

It depends. I had to get a file out for my old Dura Ace crank which
didn't have the groove on the inside of the arms that some 130 BCD
cranks have.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home