PDA

View Full Version : Arguing with Duffers ...

elyob
May 31st 07, 02:42 PM
Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)

wafflycat
May 31st 07, 02:46 PM
"elyob" > wrote in message
> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)

Now that sounds like there's a tale lurking...

elyob
May 31st 07, 03:00 PM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message

> "elyob" > wrote in message
>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>
> Now that sounds like there's a tale lurking...

Woops, wasn't Duffers ... It was DH ... Someone arguing about time trials
organisations, I believe ...

p.s. how's the boy getting on?

May 31st 07, 03:22 PM
On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

wafflycat
May 31st 07, 04:20 PM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> "wafflycat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "elyob" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>>
>> Now that sounds like there's a tale lurking...
>>
> Woops, wasn't Duffers ... It was DH ... Someone arguing about time trials
> organisations, I believe ...
>
> p.s. how's the boy getting on?

Ah, now I see where you're coming from. In the Eurosport coverage, Mr Harmon
was waxing long, loud & lyrical about the many virtues of the CTC. Fairy
Nuff. But, in his waxing long & loud, Mr H said the CTC are the organisation
responsible for time trials. Mr H should know better, as Mr H was at the CTT
dinner in January. I know this, as I was nattering with him, as was the
offspring. So I politely reminded CTT of where he had dinner ;-)

The boy is slowly improving. Today he's been propped up in bed, shoulder &
arm supported and working one-handed at his laptop doing some A-level
revision. His road rash is drying up nicely, but his hip is still hugely
swollen and his shoulder is still broken (obviously). Really he just needs
to rest, do some physio and heal. Time will do the trick. Have made an
appointment at a sports' physio (who knows her stuff) for Monday.

wafflycat
May 31st 07, 04:44 PM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message

> "elyob" > wrote in message

>>> Now that sounds like there's a tale lurking...
>>>
>> Woops, wasn't Duffers ... It was DH ... Someone arguing about time trials
>> organisations, I believe ...
>>
>> p.s. how's the boy getting on?
>>

> Ah, now I see where you're coming from. In the Eurosport coverage, Mr
> Harmon was waxing long, loud & lyrical about the many virtues of the CTC.
> Fairy Nuff. But, in his waxing long & loud, Mr H said the CTC are the
> organisation responsible for time trials. Mr H should know better, as Mr H
> was at the CTT dinner in January. I know this, as I was nattering with
> him, as was the offspring. So I politely reminded CTT of where he had
> dinner ;-)

^ reminded Mr H, not
CTT..

> The boy is slowly improving. Today he's been propped up in bed, shoulder &
> arm supported and working one-handed at his laptop doing some A-level
> revision. His road rash is drying up nicely, but his hip is still hugely
> swollen and his shoulder is still broken (obviously). Really he just needs
> to rest, do some physio and heal. Time will do the trick. Have made an
> appointment at a sports' physio (who knows her stuff) for Monday.

Stan Cox
May 31st 07, 05:12 PM
wafflycat wrote:
<snip>

> made an appointment at a sports' physio (who knows her stuff) for Monday.

And then the real pain will begin. I know, Ive been there.

Stan Cox

killermike[_2_]
May 31st 07, 09:10 PM
wrote:

> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>
> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Hey! Did you have to read that at school as well?

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

Clive George
May 31st 07, 09:26 PM
"killermike" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:
>
>> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>>
>> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> Hey! Did you have to read that at school as well?

"Have to read"? Lucky bugger. Although possibly better done on own rather
than in school, so you actually get to enjoy it :-)

cheers,
clive

Tim Hall
May 31st 07, 09:36 PM
On 31 May 2007 07:22:13 -0700, wrote:

>On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>
>Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

Ob cycling: They used bicycles in "Picts and Martyrs". Called the
dromedarys though.

Tim

Mark McNeill
May 31st 07, 09:45 PM
Response to Tim Hall:
> >Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> Ob cycling: They used bicycles in "Picts and Martyrs". Called the
> dromedarys though.

And there was quite a lot about bikes, tyres & a tube from a pump in
"The Big Six", IIRC.

--
Mark, UK
"A wartime Minister of Information is compelled, in the national

Simon Brooke
May 31st 07, 10:52 PM
in message >, Tim Hall
') wrote:

> On 31 May 2007 07:22:13 -0700, wrote:
>
>>On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>>
>>Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> Ob cycling: They used bicycles in "Picts and Martyrs". Called the
> dromedarys though.

And in Pigeon Post; bicycles also appear (but not as dromedaries) in Coot
Club. In the Big Six one of the important clues turned on correctly
identifying the make of a bicycle tyre from its tracks in the mud.

Tony Raven[_2_]
May 31st 07, 11:37 PM
killermike wrote on 31/05/2007 21:10 +0100:
> wrote:
>
>> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> Hey! Did you have to read that at school as well?

Held to Ransome ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Mark Blewett
June 1st 07, 12:05 AM
wrote:
> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>
> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown

My thoughts exactly ;o)

Trevor A Panther
June 1st 07, 08:53 AM
"killermike" > wrote in message ...
> wrote:
>
>> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>>
>> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> Hey! Did you have to read that at school as well?
>
> --
> ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
> http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
> http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

Swallows and Amazons forever!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Matthew Haigh
June 1st 07, 03:18 PM
Stan Cox wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> made an appointment at a sports' physio (who knows her stuff) for Monday.
>>

> And then the real pain will begin. I know, Ive been there.

Heh, mine calls herself a physioterrorist :-)

But the pain and discomfort of the therapy is definitely worth it. Hope
he gets better quickly.

Matt

David Damerell
June 1st 07, 03:34 PM
Quoting Simon Brooke >:
') wrote:
>>Ob cycling: They used bicycles in "Picts and Martyrs". Called the
>>dromedarys though.

I say "dromedary" to mean a bike which is loaded with luggage and being
pushed, just there for carrying Stuff not for speed. Doesn't everyone?

>And in Pigeon Post; bicycles also appear (but not as dromedaries) in Coot
>Club. In the Big Six one of the important clues turned on correctly
>identifying the make of a bicycle tyre from its tracks in the mud.

The bad guys should have used slicks...
--
David Damerell > Kill the tomato!
Today is Wednesday, June.

killermike[_2_]
June 3rd 07, 07:28 PM
Clive George wrote:

>>> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>>
>> Hey! Did you have to read that at school as well?
>
> "Have to read"? Lucky bugger. Although possibly better done on own rather
> than in school, so you actually get to enjoy it :-)

Actually, what I said was a bit unfair as it was read to us by the teacher,
which was most pleasant.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

Pete Franklin
June 4th 07, 02:12 PM
"Mark Blewett" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> On 31 May, 14:42, "elyob" > wrote:
>>> Anyone here been arguing with Duffers recently? ;)
>>
>> Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drown
>
> My thoughts exactly ;o)

But the entire aim of education and child-rearing today as policed by the
Health and Safety Nazis seems to be to bring up a generation of duffers. Can
you imagine the response today if you were found to have sent such a message
(I suppose it would have to be an SMS these days since telegrams are no
longer) to your children and someone subsequently got hurt?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home