PDA

View Full Version : Snake pass...

Ted
May 31st 07, 08:02 PM
I am pretty certain that there was a cafe on the Snake pass road
somewhere near the Strines turn on the left of the road coming from
Glossop...I often met members of the Sheffield Wheelers there some
20 odd years ago...I came along the road today and could not find it
Anyone else remember this and if so what has happened to it ??
--
Regards
Ted Wager G3TPI

John Clayton
May 31st 07, 08:12 PM
"Ted" > wrote in message
>I am pretty certain that there was a cafe on the Snake pass road somewhere
>near the Strines turn on the left of the road coming from Glossop...I often
>met members of the Sheffield Wheelers there some
> 20 odd years ago...I came along the road today and could not find it
> Anyone else remember this and if so what has happened to it ??
> --
> Regards
> Ted Wager G3TPI

Ted,
It's exactly opposite the Strines Moor Road.
The Langsett Cafe. Closed on Mondays, nice big mugs of tea on request.
Absolutely super home made cherry pie also.
John
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

JP[_4_]
May 31st 07, 10:39 PM
On 31 May, 20:12, "John Clayton" >
wrote:
> "Ted" > wrote in message

> >I am pretty certain that there was a cafe on the Snake pass road somewhere
> >near the Strines turn on the left of the road coming from Glossop...I often
> >met members of the Sheffield Wheelers there some
> > 20 odd years ago...I came along the road today and could not find it
> > Anyone else remember this and if so what has happened to it ??
> > --
> > Regards
> > Ted Wager G3TPI
>
> Ted,
> It's exactly opposite the Strines Moor Road.
> The Langsett Cafe. Closed on Mondays, nice big mugs of tea on request.
> Absolutely super home made cherry pie also.
> Johnwww.calder-clarion.co.uk

You're mixing up Woodhead with the Snake.
Langsett used to be a Fav haunt of ours many years ago but there's no
cafe on the Snake pass, this one is on Woodhead A 629.
Thanks for the reminder.
My 1st ever ride was with the CTC on a 5 speed from Sheffield to
Langsett, god was I knacked.

John Clayton
May 31st 07, 11:42 PM
>> Ted,
>> It's exactly opposite the Strines Moor Road.
>> The Langsett Cafe. Closed on Mondays, nice big mugs of tea on request.
>> Absolutely super home made cherry pie also.
>> Johnwww.calder-clarion.co.uk
>
> You're mixing up Woodhead with the Snake.
> Langsett used to be a Fav haunt of ours many years ago but there's no
> cafe on the Snake pass, this one is on Woodhead A 629.
> Thanks for the reminder.
> My 1st ever ride was with the CTC on a 5 speed from Sheffield to
> Langsett, god was I knacked.

JP,
You're right, I'm wrong, my apologies.
There is absolutely nuffink at that (Snake) end of Strines Moor.
Right - let's try to go the rest of 2007 without ever apologising again!
John

Ted
June 1st 07, 06:44 AM
JP wrote:
> On 31 May, 20:12, "John Clayton" >
> wrote:
>> "Ted" > wrote in message

>>> I am pretty certain that there was a cafe on the Snake pass road somewhere
>>> near the Strines turn on the left of the road coming from Glossop...I often
>>> met members of the Sheffield Wheelers there some
>>> 20 odd years ago...I came along the road today and could not find it
>>> Anyone else remember this and if so what has happened to it ??
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Ted Wager G3TPI
>> Ted,
>> It's exactly opposite the Strines Moor Road.
>> The Langsett Cafe. Closed on Mondays, nice big mugs of tea on request.
>> Absolutely super home made cherry pie also.
>> Johnwww.calder-clarion.co.uk
>
> You're mixing up Woodhead with the Snake.
> Langsett used to be a Fav haunt of ours many years ago but there's no
> cafe on the Snake pass, this one is on Woodhead A 629.
> Thanks for the reminder.
> My 1st ever ride was with the CTC on a 5 speed from Sheffield to
> Langsett, god was I knacked.

Thanks for the replies...
I came up from Loughborough and went through Hathersage so I suppose
I crossed the snake and went up Strines Rd to the cafe ??...
Lot nearer to it now we have moved !!

--
Regards
Ted Wager G3TPI

Al C-F
June 2nd 07, 11:32 AM
JP wrote:

> You're mixing up Woodhead with the Snake.
> Langsett used to be a Fav haunt of ours many years ago but there's no
> cafe on the Snake pass, this one is on Woodhead A 629.

Though if you find yourself on the Snake Pass, you could be tempted to
call in at the Snake Pass Inn. The food is excellent.

I remember this from business trips a few years back - also there's no
signal for any of the cellphone networks, so it's ideal for a quiet lunch.

John Clayton
June 3rd 07, 04:44 PM
"Al C-F" > wrote in
message ...
> JP wrote:
>

>> You're mixing up Woodhead with the Snake.
>> Langsett used to be a Fav haunt of ours many years ago but there's no
>> cafe on the Snake pass, this one is on Woodhead A 629.
>
> Though if you find yourself on the Snake Pass, you could be tempted to
> call in at the Snake Pass Inn. The food is excellent.
>
> I remember this from business trips a few years back - also there's no
> signal for any of the cellphone networks, so it's ideal for a quiet lunch.

Yes, that's right. Also if you do need to "eat" near the Snake/ Strines
junction there is often a greasy van in the lay by downhill from Strines
Road.

John

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home