PDA

View Full Version : Cycling tours in Hawaii (Oahu or Maui)

Roger Zoul
June 1st 07, 12:24 PM
Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
summit.

Mike A Schwab
June 1st 07, 05:15 PM
On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm

Ron Hardin
June 1st 07, 05:29 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:

> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

I'd think the uphill ride would be more interesting. Downhill is all worrying about
brake failure and speed dissipation, unless you deploy a drag chute to handle it.

A couple plates sticking out at right angles to the bike ought to be invented
for wind braking, that would not produce side forces on the bike.

I don't think there are many great bike routes, though it's a nice method of
getting around. The road to Hanna along the north/east coast of Maui might be
suitable for a tour, but that's going to get boring too.

My preferences are for open sky flat country, for the distant horizons in all
directions, though. The rainforest is too shut in.

I rode around Honolulu up hills one-handed pushing an accompanying girlfriend
with the other, long ago. Girlfriends really slow you down.
--
Ron Hardin

Bill Sornson
June 1st 07, 05:36 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu
> and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from
> Heleakala summit.

Earn your fun: pay the Gravity Gods!

Bill Sornson
June 1st 07, 05:36 PM
Ron Hardin wrote:

> I rode around Honolulu up hills one-handed pushing an accompanying
> girlfriend
> with the other, long ago. Girlfriends really slow you down.

Yahbutt...

sally
June 1st 07, 06:25 PM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in news:13600fpm7em8ec0
@news.supernews.com:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

These guys lead bicycle rides up the volcano (much more exciting than riding
down): http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/

Roger Zoul
June 1st 07, 06:47 PM
Mike A Schwab wrote:
:: On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
::: Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu
::: and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from
::: Heleakala summit.
::
:: http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Bill Bushnell
June 1st 07, 09:50 PM
Ron Hardin > wrote:
> I don't think there are many great bike routes, though it's a nice method of
> getting around. The road to Hanna along the north/east coast of Maui might be
> suitable for a tour, but that's going to get boring too.

The Hana Highway would be a beautiful ride if it weren't for the thick traffic on
that narrow, winding road. I would think that an interesting bike tour without the
traffic would be from Hana south and west on the Hana and Pi'Ilani Highways. The road
is officially closed at some point along the south coast, but I've heard that it's
passable. This would make it especially appealing as a bike tour.

> My preferences are for open sky flat country, for the distant horizons in all
> directions, though. The rainforest is too shut in.

Think west coasts or high elevations in the Hawaiian Islands if you're looking for
open, more arid country. I find the rain forests more interesting because the open
areas look too much like home (California).

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

June 1st 07, 09:57 PM
On Jun 1, 4:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

I did it in '94. Bored the pi$$ out of me. (At least in our group),
you had to wear m/c style helmets, couldn't pedal, couldn't turn your
head left or right. I got quite bored and--at the mid-way food stop--
got on the van and enjoyed the view on the way down.

I hope this wasn't representative of others' experience....

Bob
June 4th 07, 04:07 AM
On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

I did the downhill ride 10+ years ago. It's enjoyable enough but three
warnings:
1- The folks that run the group rides gear them and the bikes to suit
non-riders. They also get very nervous if you don't brake a lot. (This
could have been just the outfit that ran the ride I was on.)
2- The sunrise may be beautiful *when you can see it* but more than
one local told me later that the gorgeous sunrise I was expecting only
happens about one morning in any two weeks. The rest of the time there
are too many clouds.
3- It gets very cold and very wet at the top and very warm at the
base. Layers are required.

If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
crater.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bill Sornson
June 4th 07, 05:12 AM
Bob wrote:
> On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
>> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu
>> and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from
>> Heleakala summit.
>
> I did the downhill ride 10+ years ago. It's enjoyable enough but three
> warnings:
> 1- The folks that run the group rides gear them and the bikes to suit
> non-riders. They also get very nervous if you don't brake a lot. (This
> could have been just the outfit that ran the ride I was on.)
> 2- The sunrise may be beautiful *when you can see it* but more than
> one local told me later that the gorgeous sunrise I was expecting only
> happens about one morning in any two weeks. The rest of the time there
> are too many clouds.

Bingo City. When I was there a number of years ago, we got up at, like, 3
AM to drive from Kihei (sp?) to the top of Haleakala (THAT I can spell?!?).
Stumble around with 40-50 others at the Visitor Center Joint for a while,
and then file out to watch the big event.

Only problem was it was so cold and cloudy that the "sun rise" was more of a
dim "dawn's early light". The photos we took ALMOST did the disappointment
justice! Just plain sad...

The drive back down was pretty in places, but yeah the bike groups looked
pretty lame and tame (/slow/). Would definitely be fun to bomb down it on a
decent road bike -- but I'd want to "earn my fun" first by riding up.
Assume the "crater" ride would be on dirt or at least off-road?

> 3- It gets very cold and very wet at the top and very warm at the
> base. Layers are required.

Yup. Hawaii can be freezing at higher elevations. (My ex was from there
and she could be icy, too. Sigh.)

> If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
> crater.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

Roger Zoul
June 4th 07, 06:30 PM
Bob wrote:
:: On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
::: Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu
::: and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from
::: Heleakala summit.
::
:: I did the downhill ride 10+ years ago. It's enjoyable enough but
:: three warnings:
:: 1- The folks that run the group rides gear them and the bikes to suit
:: non-riders. They also get very nervous if you don't brake a lot.
:: (This could have been just the outfit that ran the ride I was on.)

Interesting.

:: 2- The sunrise may be beautiful *when you can see it* but more than
:: one local told me later that the gorgeous sunrise I was expecting
:: only happens about one morning in any two weeks. The rest of the
:: time there are too many clouds.

That would be very disappointing, since I'd have to spent the night on Maui
to make that sunrise happen (while still holding a room in Honolulu).

:: 3- It gets very cold and very wet at the top and very warm at the
:: base. Layers are required.

Check.

::
:: If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
:: crater.

I've never attempted that much of a climb before, even though I agree it
does sound like a lot of fun. The person traveling with me doesn't seem
interested in doing this climb (he's more of a mountain biker), but I'll
probably bring up the idea with him. Mark's page helps to give a good idea
of what's involved. "If you encounter a 10% grade, you've made a wrong
turn." Yeah, absolutely! :)

I'd better take my Garmin 305.

Doing this on a rental gives me pause, too.

Roger Zoul
June 4th 07, 10:20 PM
Pat wrote:
::::: If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
::::: crater.
:::
::: I've never attempted that much of a climb before, even though I
::: agree it does sound like a lot of fun. The person traveling with
::: me doesn't seem interested in doing this climb (he's more of a
::: mountain biker), but I'll probably bring up the idea with him.
::: Mark's page helps to give a good idea of what's involved. "If you
::: encounter a 10% grade, you've made a wrong turn." Yeah, absolutely!
::: :)
::
:: Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same
:: sentence? Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
::
:: Pat in TX

Well...you know how that goes...climbing becomes fun after it's over! :)

That's assuming you survive, that is.

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 4th 07, 11:02 PM
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:20:57 -0400, Roger Zoul >
wrote:

> Pat wrote:
> ::::: If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
> ::::: crater.
> :::
> ::: I've never attempted that much of a climb before, even though I
> ::: agree it does sound like a lot of fun. The person traveling with
> ::: me doesn't seem interested in doing this climb (he's more of a
> ::: mountain biker), but I'll probably bring up the idea with him.
> ::: Mark's page helps to give a good idea of what's involved. "If you
> ::: encounter a 10% grade, you've made a wrong turn." Yeah, absolutely!
> ::: :)
> ::
> :: Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same
> :: sentence? Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
> ::
> :: Pat in TX
>
> Well...you know how that goes...climbing becomes fun after it's over! :)
>
> That's assuming you survive, that is.

I think the climbs are the only reason to go biking. Who wants to bike on
flat ground? (And I'm not being facetious -- I really mean this.) Of
course, if you live in AZ, where I used to live, or parts of TX, you might
not have the option of hills. In AZ, I had to ride 10-15 miles just to
get to rolling "hills" (using this term loosely). Most of the hills where
I ride now are in the 7-8% range overall, with some steeper sections,
typically separated by relatively flat sections. There's one hill that's
13-14%, but thankfully it's very short.

--
Bob in CT

Pat[_3_]
June 4th 07, 11:11 PM
> :: If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
> :: crater.
>
> I've never attempted that much of a climb before, even though I agree it
> does sound like a lot of fun. The person traveling with me doesn't seem
> interested in doing this climb (he's more of a mountain biker), but I'll
> probably bring up the idea with him. Mark's page helps to give a good idea
> of what's involved. "If you encounter a 10% grade, you've made a wrong
> turn." Yeah, absolutely! :)

Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same sentence?
Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)

Pat in TX

Pat[_3_]
June 5th 07, 12:12 AM

> I think the climbs are the only reason to go biking. Who wants to bike on
> flat ground? (And I'm not being facetious -- I really mean this.) Of
> course, if you live in AZ, where I used to live, or parts of TX, you might
> not have the option of hills. In AZ, I had to ride 10-15 miles just to
> get to rolling "hills" (using this term loosely). Most of the hills where
> I ride now are in the 7-8% range overall, with some steeper sections,
> typically separated by relatively flat sections. There's one hill that's
> 13-14%, but thankfully it's very short.
>
> --
> Bob in CT

It has occurred to me over the years that hills are the only real challenge
in cycling. And, they have a bonus after you conquer them. I do relish a
challenge. But, I don't call it fun. I call it a struggle.

Pat in TX (don't kid yourself, North Texas is not flat by any means of the
word)

Roger Zoul
June 5th 07, 12:17 AM
Bob in CT wrote:
::
:: I think the climbs are the only reason to go biking. Who wants to
:: bike on flat ground?

Er....me? You don't like looking at the scenery? The fresh air?

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy zooming down a long hill and I enjoy how I feel
after I've done a lot of climbing, but I would not say that climbs are the
only reason to go biking....

(And I'm not being facetious -- I really mean
:: this.) Of course, if you live in AZ, where I used to live, or parts
:: of TX, you might not have the option of hills. In AZ, I had to ride
:: 10-15 miles just to get to rolling "hills" (using this term
:: loosely). Most of the hills where I ride now are in the 7-8% range
:: overall, with some steeper sections, typically separated by
:: relatively flat sections. There's one hill that's 13-14%, but
:: thankfully it's very short.

Those are some serious hills, IMO...7-8% overall...you have an edge or
something that reads grades?

Bob
June 5th 07, 04:04 AM
On Jun 4, 6:12 pm, "Pat" > wrote:

> It has occurred to me over the years that hills are the only real challenge
> in cycling. And, they have a bonus after you conquer them. I do relish a
> challenge. But, I don't call it fun. I call it a struggle.

Perhaps climbing is the only challenge in cycling that you enjoy but
it is hardly the only challenge. Challenges don't come from the
terrain, they come from within the rider. Sorry if that sounds Zen but
it's true.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 5th 07, 04:02 PM
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:12:41 -0400, Pat > wrote:

>> I think the climbs are the only reason to go biking. Who wants to bike
>> on
>> flat ground? (And I'm not being facetious -- I really mean this.) Of
>> course, if you live in AZ, where I used to live, or parts of TX, you
>> might
>> not have the option of hills. In AZ, I had to ride 10-15 miles just to
>> get to rolling "hills" (using this term loosely). Most of the hills
>> where
>> I ride now are in the 7-8% range overall, with some steeper sections,
>> typically separated by relatively flat sections. There's one hill
>> that's
>> 13-14%, but thankfully it's very short.
>>
>> --
>> Bob in CT
>
> It has occurred to me over the years that hills are the only real
> challenge
> in cycling. And, they have a bonus after you conquer them. I do relish a
> challenge. But, I don't call it fun. I call it a struggle.
>
> Pat in TX (don't kid yourself, North Texas is not flat by any means of
> the
> word)

Well, I think there could be other challenges, such as performing a
certain distance in a certain time, but I've always been one to enjoy
hills. I like the burning sensation in the legs, the heart rate near
maximum, the seeming lack of air. When I started biking, I had a mountain
bike. My friends and I would go biking, and they loved the downhills.
Meanwhile, I loved the uphills and really didn't care much about the
downhills. Now that I'm older and have less and less time to devote to
riding, the hills allow me faster increases in aerobics and more calories
burnt. I guess it would be possible to ride on flat ground and just push
yourself to recreate some of the same criteria, but I personally think it
would be boring.

I like hills so much that I actually worry about moving. For instance, CT
has its share of hills but also has flat sections. I rode an MS ride near
Hartford that was basically flat. It was incredibly easy, I thought
(except for the heat, that is). I selected the 75 mile ride, but had I
know how easy the ride was, I'd have selected the century (again, except
for the heat -- it was May but hot).

--
Bob in CT

Dane Buson
June 5th 07, 05:42 PM
Pat > wrote:

>> :: If I could do it over again I think I'd look into riding *up* the
>> :: crater.
>>
>> I've never attempted that much of a climb before, even though I agree it
>> does sound like a lot of fun. The person traveling with me doesn't seem
>> interested in doing this climb (he's more of a mountain biker), but I'll
>> probably bring up the idea with him. Mark's page helps to give a good idea
>> of what's involved. "If you encounter a 10% grade, you've made a wrong
>> turn." Yeah, absolutely! :)
>
> Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same sentence?
> Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)

Well, a nice gradual climb can be nice, especially if the outside
temperature is low so you're not sweating everywhere. Then you can
bundle up for the descent.

I think my least favorite is a never-ending series of ups and down, it's
just not very rewarding.

--
Dane Buson -
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves

Dane Buson
June 5th 07, 05:44 PM
Bob in CT > wrote:

> I think the climbs are the only reason to go biking. Who wants to bike on
> flat ground? (And I'm not being facetious -- I really mean this.) Of
> course, if you live in AZ, where I used to live, or parts of TX, you might
> not have the option of hills. In AZ, I had to ride 10-15 miles just to
> get to rolling "hills" (using this term loosely). Most of the hills where
> I ride now are in the 7-8% range overall, with some steeper sections,
> typically separated by relatively flat sections. There's one hill that's
> 13-14%, but thankfully it's very short.

Oh, I don't know. Flat terrain is especially nice for social riding. I
went out cycling with my Brother and his friend while we were out in
Philly. It's pretty flat, so they were able to maintain a decent pace
without killing themselves. I'd quickly get bored waiting at the top of
every hill if it was hilly like Seattle.

--
Dane Buson -
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #18:

Q: Are you married?
A: No, I'm divorced.
Q: And what did your husband do before you divorced him?
A: A lot of things I didn't know about.

Pat[_3_]
June 5th 07, 10:41 PM
>> I like hills so much that I actually worry about moving. For instance,
>> CT
> has its share of hills but also has flat sections. I rode an MS ride near
> Hartford that was basically flat. It was incredibly easy, I thought
> (except for the heat, that is). I selected the 75 mile ride, but had I
> know how easy the ride was, I'd have selected the century (again, except
> for the heat -- it was May but hot).
>
> --
> Bob in CT

There is one hill not too far away that I tried to go up and I fell over
about 40% of the way up. When you are going up a hill and it gets to where
you are deciding which side to fall on, that's a tough hill! (when I am
going less than 5 mph I know it's time to worry.)

Pat in TX

Pat[_3_]
June 5th 07, 10:43 PM
>> Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same
>> sentence?
>> Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
>
> Well, a nice gradual climb can be nice, especially if the outside
> temperature is low so you're not sweating everywhere. Then you can
> bundle up for the descent.
> > Dane Buson -

Oh, I call those "inclines." and not hills. Sort of like going up the
incline on the freeway service road until you get to the top where the
crossing road goes over the freeway...man-made inclines. I don't call it a
hill unless I have to downshift 4 times.

Pat in TX

Mike
June 5th 07, 11:39 PM
On Jun 1, 7:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu and am
> thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from Heleakala
> summit.

Cycling on Maui is awesome. I take my road bike there when I go. Last
year I rode 500 miles in two weeks. There is a map called "Maui County
Bicycle Map" available at the local bike shops for $6. It shows all
the island's roads and their suitability for cycling, terrain,
gradients, prevailing winds, etc. It's useful to have if you are not
familiar with the island.

I did the Haleakala downhill mountain bike ride with Mark from Aloha
BIke Tours many years ago. In those days, he'd fit you with a Raleigh
mountain bike and standard bike helmet, drive you to the park
entrance, and down you'd go on your own until meeting up with him at
the winery in Ulupalakua. Now his trips are a little more structured
with cruiser bikes, but he is still the guy to contact if you want to
do an "organized "downhill ride.

if someone drives you to the top, you can alsot rent a mountain bike
and helmet in the parking lot at the summit from Haleakala BIke Tours,
go down on your own, and return it to the shop in Makawao when you get
down there. They are always up there with a trailer full of bikes when
the weather is good.

GoCyclingMaui is another service that will fit you with a Litespeed
road bike and full kit for small supported group rides on theisland's
most challenging routes. They cater to amateur and pro racers and very
fit club riders who want to hammer.

Or, you can rent a road or mountain bike for the day or week from any
of several shops on Maui and explore the island on your own. South
Maui Cycles in Kihea and Island BIker in Kahului are both good shops.

Here are some good cheap places to eat: In Pai'a: Anthony's, Cafe
Mambo, Pa'ia FIshmarket. In Kihea: Da Kitchen, Hanafuda Saiman, Stella
Blues. In Kahalui: Koko Ichiban Ya.
Enjoy your trip.

Roger Zoul
June 6th 07, 01:05 AM
Mike wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Mike. Great report!

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 6th 07, 01:15 AM
> :: On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> ::: Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to Oahu
> ::: and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill ride from
> ::: Heleakala summit.
> ::
> :: http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm
>
> Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe I already covered this on the web page, but I think for most of us
who hang out here, the Maui downhill would be extremely boring. It's just
not steep enough to get any real speed, and they don't let you go fast
anyway. Plus you have to get up at a ridiculous hour if you want to see the
sun rise (I didn't... I mean, I'm sure it's beautiful to see and all, but
not something I'm willing to trade 3 or 4 hours of sleep for).

The ride *up* Haleakala is something else again. Definitely something to do,
at least once in your life. I'd love to go back and do it again.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 6th 07, 01:29 AM
> Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same sentence?
> Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
>
> Pat in TX

Nor have I ever considered melting as being "fun" either, but if Texans let
that stop them from riding... :>)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Pat[_3_]
June 6th 07, 04:14 AM
>> Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same
>> sentence? Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
>>
>> Pat in TX
>
> Nor have I ever considered melting as being "fun" either, but if Texans
> let that stop them from riding... :>)
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky

Who says we let the heat stop us? Now, rain, that's different. I'm allergic
to lightning bolts, you see.

Pat in TX

Roger Zoul
June 6th 07, 04:25 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
::::: On Jun 1, 6:24 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
:::::: Anyone have any experiences to share? I'm going next week to
:::::: Oahu and am thinking of skipping over ot Maui for the downhill
:::::: ride from Heleakala summit.
:::::
::::: http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm
:::
::: Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
::
::
:: I believe I already covered this on the web page, but I think for
:: most of us who hang out here, the Maui downhill would be extremely
:: boring. It's just not steep enough to get any real speed, and they
:: don't let you go fast anyway.

Well, just how steep is it? 10000+ ft over 33 miles sounds like a lot of
climbing..

Plus you have to get up at a
:: ridiculous hour if you want to see the sun rise (I didn't... I mean,
:: I'm sure it's beautiful to see and all, but not something I'm
:: willing to trade 3 or 4 hours of sleep for).

Right.

::
:: The ride *up* Haleakala is something else again. Definitely
:: something to do, at least once in your life. I'd love to go back and
:: do it again.

From your page, it sounds like a lot of work!

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 6th 07, 08:16 PM
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:41:58 -0400, Pat > wrote:

>>> I like hills so much that I actually worry about moving. For instance,
>>> CT
>> has its share of hills but also has flat sections. I rode an MS ride
>> near
>> Hartford that was basically flat. It was incredibly easy, I thought
>> (except for the heat, that is). I selected the 75 mile ride, but had I
>> know how easy the ride was, I'd have selected the century (again, except
>> for the heat -- it was May but hot).
>>
>> --
>> Bob in CT
>
> There is one hill not too far away that I tried to go up and I fell over
> about 40% of the way up. When you are going up a hill and it gets to
> where
> you are deciding which side to fall on, that's a tough hill! (when I am
> going less than 5 mph I know it's time to worry.)
>
> Pat in TX

When I ride home from work, there's a hill that's around 13% grade
according to my calculations. Thankfully, it's not very long. But you
can't take much speed if any into the hill. It's the only hill around
here where I've had to pull up on the bars and push down as hard as
possible in order to not fall over.

--
Bob in CT

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 6th 07, 08:19 PM
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:43:52 -0400, Pat > wrote:

>>> Did I read that you used the words "climb" and "fun" in the same
>>> sentence?
>>> Are you nuts? I don't recall any climbs being "fun." :)
>>
>> Well, a nice gradual climb can be nice, especially if the outside
>> temperature is low so you're not sweating everywhere. Then you can
>> bundle up for the descent.
>> > Dane Buson -
>
> Oh, I call those "inclines." and not hills. Sort of like going up the
> incline on the freeway service road until you get to the top where the
> crossing road goes over the freeway...man-made inclines. I don't call
> it a
> hill unless I have to downshift 4 times.
>
> Pat in TX

I only call a "hill" a "hill" if I have to be in my easiest gear. Some
inclines, particularly if I'm tired, can qualify, although I typically
don't let them into the "hill" club as the time in my easiest gear is
short (if at all). If you stand at the bottom and look at asphalt, it's a
hill; if you don't, it's an incline.

The hills that kill me are the ones with false crests. There are two that
come to mind. One is on my way home from work, and it's hard because it's
near the end of the route and it really appears to be ending. Then, along
comes a slight downhill and then yet another steep section.

--
Bob in CT

Mike
June 6th 07, 09:40 PM
On Jun 5, 8:15 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> I believe I already covered this on the web page, but I think for most of us
> who hang out here, the Maui downhill would be extremely boring. It's just
> not steep enough to get any real speed, and they don't let you go fast
> anyway.

It's not that it isn't steep enough to get up any speed, it's that the
upper half of the climb is all switchbacks like the Alp D'Huez, and
you are stuck on a narrow, two-lane road with heavy vehicular traffic.
Plus, there's no shoulder or guard rails on many of the turns. The
tour operators don't want too many people getting killed, although a
few do.
Descending the lower half of the climb is the good part. Once you
reach the bottom of the Crater Road where it joins Upper Kula Road
near Rice Park, you begin a 4,000' descent, where you don't have to
turn the pedals for 18 miles. The road becomes the Haleakala Highway,
a 6 lane divided road with a wide shoulder. The crosswinds are pretty
fierce, that's the only factor that really limits your speed.

Mike
June 6th 07, 09:43 PM
On Jun 5, 8:15 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> I believe I already covered this on the web page, but I think for most of us
> who hang out here, the Maui downhill would be extremely boring. It's just
> not steep enough to get any real speed, and they don't let you go fast
> anyway.

It's not that it isn't steep enough to get up any speed, it's that the
upper half of the climb is all switchbacks like the Alp D'Huez, and
you are stuck on a narrow, two-lane road with heavy vehicular traffic.
Plus, there's no shoulder or guard rails on many of the turns. The
tour operators don't want too many people getting killed, although a
few do.
Descending the lower half of the climb is the good part. Once you
reach the bottom of the Crater Road where it joins Upper Kula Road
near Rice Park, you begin a 4,000' descent, where you don't have to
turn the pedals for 18 miles. The road becomes the Haleakala Highway,
a 6 lane divided road with a wide shoulder. The crosswinds are pretty
fierce, that's the only factor that really limits your speed.

Dane Buson
June 6th 07, 10:14 PM
Bob in CT > wrote:

> The hills that kill me are the ones with false crests. There are two that
> come to mind. One is on my way home from work, and it's hard because it's
> near the end of the route and it really appears to be ending. Then, along
> comes a slight downhill and then yet another steep section.

Or the ones that look like you're nearing the top, and it curves away
into the trees or terrain. Of course, when you get there, you find
there is plenty more hill hidden behind the curve.

--
Dane Buson -
"Heisenburg probably rules."

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 7th 07, 03:40 PM
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:14:03 -0400, Dane Buson > wrote:

> Bob in CT > wrote:
>>
>> The hills that kill me are the ones with false crests. There are two
>> that
>> come to mind. One is on my way home from work, and it's hard because
>> it's
>> near the end of the route and it really appears to be ending. Then,
>> along
>> comes a slight downhill and then yet another steep section.
>
> Or the ones that look like you're nearing the top, and it curves away
> into the trees or terrain. Of course, when you get there, you find
> there is plenty more hill hidden behind the curve.

Good point. I have a few of those, too, but until about a month ago I was
able to see that they kept going up. Darn trees! ;-)

--
Bob in CT

Dennis Ferguson
June 8th 07, 07:00 PM
Bob in CT wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:41:58 -0400, Pat > wrote:
>> There is one hill not too far away that I tried to go up and I fell over
>> about 40% of the way up. When you are going up a hill and it gets to
>> where
>> you are deciding which side to fall on, that's a tough hill! (when I am
>> going less than 5 mph I know it's time to worry.)
>>
>> Pat in TX
>>

> When I ride home from work, there's a hill that's around 13% grade
> according to my calculations. Thankfully, it's not very long. But you
> can't take much speed if any into the hill. It's the only hill around
> here where I've had to pull up on the bars and push down as hard as
> possible in order to not fall over.

At some point a triple becomes really attractive. When I'm in Hong Kong
(on Hong Kong island there are no flat rides at all) my usual ride includes
a hill which my altimeter claims is 22%. I can do this with my 30/27 low
gear without a huge amount of effort, though I need to stand to keep the
front wheel on the ground. A 13% hill is comfortable climbing while seated.

Note that I'm a fairly rotten climber, relatively speaking. In both Hong
Kong and California, where there are a lot of hills to climb, I get passed
by a lot more people than I manage to pass. Between having the 30" low
gear available when I need it, and some patience, however, there's
very little I wouldn't take a shot at climbing.

Dennis Ferguson

Bob in CT[_2_]
June 8th 07, 07:17 PM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 14:00:23 -0400, Dennis Ferguson
> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:41:58 -0400, Pat > wrote:
>>> There is one hill not too far away that I tried to go up and I fell
>>> over
>>> about 40% of the way up. When you are going up a hill and it gets to
>>> where
>>> you are deciding which side to fall on, that's a tough hill! (when I am
>>> going less than 5 mph I know it's time to worry.)
>>>
>>> Pat in TX
>>>

>> When I ride home from work, there's a hill that's around 13% grade
>> according to my calculations. Thankfully, it's not very long. But you
>> can't take much speed if any into the hill. It's the only hill around
>> here where I've had to pull up on the bars and push down as hard as
>> possible in order to not fall over.
>
> At some point a triple becomes really attractive. When I'm in Hong Kong
> (on Hong Kong island there are no flat rides at all) my usual ride
> includes
> a hill which my altimeter claims is 22%. I can do this with my 30/27 low
> gear without a huge amount of effort, though I need to stand to keep the
> front wheel on the ground. A 13% hill is comfortable climbing while
> seated.
>
> Note that I'm a fairly rotten climber, relatively speaking. In both Hong
> Kong and California, where there are a lot of hills to climb, I get
> passed
> by a lot more people than I manage to pass. Between having the 30" low
> gear available when I need it, and some patience, however, there's
> very little I wouldn't take a shot at climbing.
>
> Dennis Ferguson

I have a triple. I think it's a 30 on the front and a 27 on the rear.
There's no way I could climb a 13 % grade while seated. I weigh 240
pounds, though. I determined my gradients via a mapping program. My
altimeter is horrible at gauging actual gradients, and I only use it for
general profile. There are very few hills at 22 percent gradient. This
doesn't mean that the hill you think is 22% isn't 22%, but I'd try to find
a map indicating the actual gradient.

--
Bob in CT

Google