PDA

View Full Version : Community Support Officer Leaps in to action

rola
June 1st 07, 09:37 AM
Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
me with his van... for the sake of a few milliseconds. When he had
passed me, I could see that he was also speaking on his mobile.

Ok, no gestures or shouts from me... it's 18:00 and I'm prepared for the
crap, but as he turns a corner with me following, a passing community
support officer is walking the beat on t'other side of the road. She
shouts "oi.. get off the phone". I say to her "don't just shout at him..
he's breaking the law". In response, she says "you're right.. I'll have
a word". The twunt in the van had only parked outside his house. It gave
me the opportunity to remind him that he is indeed an arse... and made
sure that the CSO did indeed have a word.

I take it CSO's have the power to report such crimes :-)

[1] I'm getting down with the kids!

John Hearns
June 1st 07, 09:50 AM
Rola wrote:
> Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
>
> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!

Kids? "Skelped" is a very old Scottish word. As in "I'll skelp your lug".
I suppose that these days though "minging" is claimed as a street word
invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
really is. Ah well.

TerryJ
June 1st 07, 10:01 AM
On 1 Jun, 09:50, John Hearns > wrote:
> invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
> really is. Ah well.

It's been in forces use for donkey's years through it's scottish
origin.
TerryJ

Paul Boyd
June 1st 07, 10:05 AM
Rola said the following on 01/06/2007 09:37:

> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!

More like getting down with David Chase on his rather dodgy cycling
exploits. Was a belt involved? :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Simon Brooke
June 1st 07, 11:46 AM
in message >, John
Hearns ') wrote:

> Rola wrote:
>> Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
>>
>> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!
>
> Kids? "Skelped" is a very old Scottish word. As in "I'll skelp your lug".
> I suppose that these days though "minging" is claimed as a street word
> invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
> really is. Ah well.

They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
slang.

John Hearns
June 1st 07, 12:45 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
> slang.
Thanks for that! If I ever have to take my English Higher again I can
now say that I'm using a dialect, not slang :-)
Up to my oxters in it, as usual....

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 1st 07, 02:28 PM
Simon Brooke wrote on 01/06/2007 11:46 +0100:

> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
> slang.

"I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Yes, it's interesting. But interesting words are used in Britain every
single day, and we cannot discuss every one of them;
furthermore, no-one involved is cycling." ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Simon Brooke
June 1st 07, 03:35 PM
in message >, Tony Raven
') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 01/06/2007 11:46 +0100:
>>
>> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call
>> either slang.
>>

> "I suggest that this is off-topic here.
>
> Yes, it's interesting. But interesting words are used in Britain every
> single day, and we cannot discuss every one of them;
> furthermore, no-one involved is cycling." ;-)

I would say 'touche', but that, of course, would be off-topic.

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home