PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam to Basel by bike

Tony
June 2nd 07, 10:05 AM
I am looking for some help please. My Inlaws are heading off on a bike
holiday in Europe in August and will be riding from Amsterdam to Basel in
Switzerland. They are hoping to buy bikes in Amsterdam and then sell them
in Switzerland (they have relatives there who have contacts at a few bike
shops, so offloading them shouldn't be to much of an issue).

So if anyone knows of some bike shop names (preferably if there is a website
or an email address) so they can organise something before they leave Oz.
They will most likely be looking for Hybrid bikes currently riding Giant
hybrids when they tour here.

Any info would be a great help

Kingsley
June 3rd 07, 10:52 PM
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:05:17 +0000, Tony wrote:

> I am looking for some help please. My Inlaws are heading off on a bike
> holiday in Europe in August and will be riding from Amsterdam to Basel in
> Switzerland. They are hoping to buy bikes in Amsterdam and then sell them
> in Switzerland (they have relatives there who have contacts at a few bike
> shops, so offloading them shouldn't be to much of an issue).
>
> So if anyone knows of some bike shop names (preferably if there is a
> website or an email address) so they can organise something before they
> leave Oz. They will most likely be looking for Hybrid bikes currently
> riding Giant hybrids when they tour here.

Where abouts are they going to arrive in The Netherlands?

There's at least half a dozen bikeshops in any city, and a few
in more significant towns.

The last two times we've started in Haarlem. It's a beautiful city,
and a great place to start a bicycle tour. We like to have a couple
of rest-days at the beginning to get into the local time-zone;
especially with the kids, it shakes them up a bit.

I can offer some route advice too, we've toured Haarlem->Munich (via
Strassbourg) and Haarlem->Dijon (via Paris).

Sounds like they're going to follow the Rhine river?

cheersbigears,
-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

Olav & Marianne
June 4th 07, 07:29 AM
"Tony" > schreef in bericht
>I am looking for some help please. My Inlaws are heading off on a bike
> holiday in Europe in August and will be riding from Amsterdam to Basel in
> Switzerland. They are hoping to buy bikes in Amsterdam and then sell them
> in Switzerland (they have relatives there who have contacts at a few bike
> shops, so offloading them shouldn't be to much of an issue).
>
> So if anyone knows of some bike shop names (preferably if there is a
> website
> or an email address) so they can organise something before they leave Oz.
> They will most likely be looking for Hybrid bikes currently riding Giant
> hybrids when they tour here.
>
> Any info would be a great help

If you want any help by local bikers, who do also these kind of trips. See
www.wereldfietser.nl (worldbikers) which is the Dutch website for bikers
who go around (the world). Ask an quetsion on there site (yes you can ask in
English and we will answer in English)
The route Amsterdam - Basel is also written out (to bad it is in dutch). But
maybe you can ask the publicer at www.cyclingeurope.nl

Greetings

Olav
(The Netherlands, (southern part))

Olav & Marianne
June 4th 07, 07:39 AM
"Olav & Marianne" > schreef in bericht

> "Tony" > schreef in bericht
>>I am looking for some help please. My Inlaws are heading off on a bike
>> holiday in Europe in August and will be riding from Amsterdam to Basel in
>> Switzerland. They are hoping to buy bikes in Amsterdam and then sell
>> them
>> in Switzerland (they have relatives there who have contacts at a few bike
>> shops, so offloading them shouldn't be to much of an issue).
>>
>> So if anyone knows of some bike shop names (preferably if there is a
>> website
>> or an email address) so they can organise something before they leave Oz.
>> They will most likely be looking for Hybrid bikes currently riding Giant
>> hybrids when they tour here.
>>
>> Any info would be a great help
>
> If you want any help by local bikers, who do also these kind of trips. See
> www.wereldfietser.nl (worldbikers) which is the Dutch website for bikers
> who go around (the world). Ask an quetsion on there site (yes you can ask
> in English and we will answer in English)
> The route Amsterdam - Basel is also written out (to bad it is in dutch).
> But maybe you can ask the publicer at www.cyclingeurope.nl
>
> Greetings
>
> Olav
> (The Netherlands, (southern part))

It is even in English!
http://www.cartostudio.nl/fiets/ENG/rome/FRAME.HTML

flyingdutch[_51_]
June 4th 07, 11:13 AM
It's TOO easy to find good bikes and bikeshops in Amsterdam upon
arrival.
Probably better to do in person anyway.

If you want secondhand, try the BikeShop hat takes up the first laneway
on your right, off DamStraat, as you leave the Palace Square -DAM- Area
(approx 500m south of Centraal Station along Damrak, if you are
catching train from Shiphol Airport).

or more logically, walk out of centraal station, go straight ahead
approx 500m along Damrak (tramlines up middle), get to DAM plein (big
open 'sqaure' with palace on your right...).
Head to far left corner which is DamStraat. Go to first alley on your
right (Waffle shop on corner!) and the laneway is basically one big
bikeshop!!!

OR

http://www.beekhoven-bikes.nl/
good range and have 2ndhand bikes too

ORRR

go to 'The bike bridge' and pick one up for about 5euro :rolleyes:

--
flyingdutch

flyingdutch[_52_]
June 4th 07, 11:20 AM
[...]