PDA

View Full Version : Cool helmet cam footage

Claire Petersky
June 3rd 07, 03:25 AM
....or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

me
June 3rd 07, 05:09 AM
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:25:44 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

> ...or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas

Wonderful! Great, and apparently fortuitous timing of the sound track.

Ryan Cousineau
June 3rd 07, 05:40 AM
In article <Q9r8i.262231$aG1.194110@pd7urf3no>, me >
wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:25:44 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:
>
> > ...or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas
> >

> Wonderful! Great, and apparently fortuitous timing of the sound track.

I don't think it's entirely "fortuitous," inasmuch as the editor sped up
the video, and I get the sense that it was to match footage time to song
time. They may have even keyed key breaks in the song to match nicely
with particular moments in the video.

It's a superb match of appropriate track to video though!

BTW, I had a hilarious revelation that went like this: where in the heck
did that poor sap experience this endless, deranged series of line-ups?
That just looks horrible.

Then I realized his route came within a block of my house. So of course,
I had to map it:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1011689

As it happens, I normally have nothing to do with this rush-hour conga
line, because my commute takes me in another direction, with its own
long lines of cars to pass through, plus a big hill.

The jam we're seeing here is the consequence of two bedroom communities
roughly doubling in size in the last decade (Port Moody and the Westwood
Plateau part of Coquitlam). This is the afternoon traffic coming back
home from downtown. The sane commuters do what my wife does, and take
the commuter train.

See those railway tracks that get crossed around the 1 km mark on my
map? That's roughly where the commuter train station is. 22 minutes from
downtown to that station. It's fairly popular. There are few excuses for
using a car.

Claire Petersky
June 3rd 07, 04:20 PM
> Then I realized his route came within a block of my house. So of course,
> I had to map it:
>
> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1011689

Wow, Ryan, that's part of the RSVP route, right? That means I've ridden this
whole thing myself, past the park, coming around the loop, and then turning
on to the Barnet Hwy. It's not as bad on a Saturday afternoon.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Ryan Cousineau
June 3rd 07, 07:34 PM
In article et>,
"Claire Petersky" > wrote:

> > Then I realized his route came within a block of my house. So of course,
> > I had to map it:
> >
> > http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1011689
>
> Wow, Ryan, that's part of the RSVP route, right? That means I've ridden this
> whole thing myself, past the park, coming around the loop, and then turning
> on to the Barnet Hwy. It's not as bad on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes it is, and yes you have!

The short answer is that it's hardly ever that bad. As bad as it is
lined up during this movie, that's just the evening rush. Maybe a few
hours in the evening. Go along that route at 7pm or any weekend, and
that traffic isn't there.

me
June 4th 07, 12:41 AM
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 04:40:41 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <Q9r8i.262231$aG1.194110@pd7urf3no>, me >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:25:44 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:
>>
>> > ...or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas
>> >

>> Wonderful! Great, and apparently fortuitous timing of the sound track.
>
> I don't think it's entirely "fortuitous," inasmuch as the editor sped up
> the video, and I get the sense that it was to match footage time to song
> time. They may have even keyed key breaks in the song to match nicely
> with particular moments in the video.

The poster says in the comments that it was a complete fluke.that the
bend comes up at the appropriate moment of the movie.

> It's a superb match of appropriate track to video though!

Oh, Totally! Never heard of Cake (the group who sing it) before.

June 4th 07, 01:50 AM
On Jun 2, 8:25 pm, "Claire Petersky" >
wrote:
> ...or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I thought this was going to be this video instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1J9UDhDXQQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeleventooth%2Ecom%2Fvideo% 5Flloc%2Ehtml

Same song, different setting, different style of riding, superiority
of bicycle as transportation device just as apparent.

R.

Ryan Cousineau
June 4th 07, 07:00 AM
In article <2lI8i.263987$DE1.168019@pd7urf2no>, me >
wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 04:40:41 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > In article <Q9r8i.262231$aG1.194110@pd7urf3no>, me >
> > wrote:

> >> Wonderful! Great, and apparently fortuitous timing of the sound track.
> >
> > I don't think it's entirely "fortuitous," inasmuch as the editor sped up
> > the video, and I get the sense that it was to match footage time to song
> > time. They may have even keyed key breaks in the song to match nicely
> > with particular moments in the video.
>
> The poster says in the comments that it was a complete fluke.that the
> bend comes up at the appropriate moment of the movie.

Argh. Reading is fundamental...

My excuse for my silly claim is that having edited a few bike videos to
music, I would have done it that way.

However, I would have also broken up the single take as I saw fit to
make the editing easier!

> > It's a superb match of appropriate track to video though!

> Oh, Totally! Never heard of Cake (the group who sing it) before.

me
June 19th 07, 05:29 AM
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:50:39 +0000, christie133 wrote:

> On Jun 2, 8:25 pm, "Claire Petersky" >
> wrote:
>> ...or, why some people take up bicycle commuting:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1Ifq9Tfas
>>
>> --
>> Warm Regards,
>>
>> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
>> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky
>
> I thought this was going to be this video instead:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1J9UDhDXQQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eeleventooth%2Ecom%2Fvideo% 5Flloc%2Ehtml
>
> Same song, different setting, different style of riding, superiority
> of bicycle as transportation device just as apparent.
>
> R.

Now that one IS well edited. I love the bit from 2.0 to 2.18, especially
the laugh!

June 19th 07, 06:42 AM
On Jun 18, 10:29 pm, me > wrote:

> > I thought this was going to be this video instead:
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1J9UDhDXQQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eel...
>
> > Same song, different setting, different style of riding, superiority
> > of bicycle as transportation device just as apparent.
>
> > R.
>
> Now that one IS well edited. I love the bit from 2.0 to 2.18, especially
> the laugh!

I count at least three police vehicles getting passed before the
finale.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home