PDA

View Full Version : Ride report

wafflycat
June 3rd 07, 09:38 PM
Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off his
bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there shouldn't be
in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since I've been out on
my bike. I planned to go out yesterday, but due to waking at 4am on Saturday
morning with the mother of all migraines, the put the kybosh on that idea.
Thankfully this morning heralded another fine day and husband said he'd stay
in with the offspring.

So I headed out. Headed north, up through Whissonsett and Colkirk and then
took a right to go over to Great Ryborough, and then swung up north again.
Through some stunningly lovely North Norfolk villages full of flint
cottages, with garden walls covered in flowers, past many an ancient church,
past manor houses, halls and fields full of cattle & horses. All on quiet
lanes, undulating up & down & round & round. Hardly a car about, and loads
of kids on bikes, people out walking on a gloriously sunny day. I made Wells
in just over two hours. Wells was heaving with grockles, so I only stopped
long enough to eat an ice cream & headed back. Slightly different route -
down to Walsingham and then to Great Snoring, Little Snoring, Kettlestone,
back to Ryborough, Colkirk and Whissonsett but rather than straight home,
did a detour to Mileham, Litcham and Beeston before getting home having done
100.71km on 3 energy gels, a few dried apricots and two big bottles of
water, oh, and the ice cream at Wells. The day was perfect cycling weather.
I saw a marsh harrier swooping low over fields just outside of Wells. Had a
horse join in by running alongside as I cycled past its field. Birdsong, the
sound of bees visiting wildflowers in the hedgerows. Sheer joy. My soul
sang.

Simon Brooke
June 3rd 07, 10:45 PM
in message >, wafflycat
') wrote:

> Great Snoring

There is /not/ a village called Great Snoring. Surely!

Simon, who has today visited (among others) the villages of Daily, old
Daily, Polmaddie and Barr. Not to mention passing Shalloch on Minnoch, and
crossing the Stinchar water (how do you /think/ it's pronounced?)

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

wafflycat
June 4th 07, 12:11 AM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, wafflycat
> ') wrote:
>
>> Great Snoring
>
> There is /not/ a village called Great Snoring. Surely!

Yes there is, and why are you calling me Shirley?

wafflycat
June 4th 07, 12:14 AM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, wafflycat
> ') wrote:
>
>> Great Snoring
>
> There is /not/ a village called Great Snoring. Surely!

See

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=590000&Y=340000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=&zm=0&scale=200000&multimap.x=440&multimap.y=307

or

http://tinyurl.com/239p2p

:-)

June 4th 07, 12:54 AM
On Jun 4, 12:14 am, "wafflycat" >
wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
>
> ...> in message >, wafflycat
> > ') wrote:
> > There is /not/ a village called Great Snoring. Surely!
> http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=590000&Y=34000...
> http://tinyurl.com/239p2p

My favourite is Dummer, which has a very fine pub.
The nearby Farleigh Wallop caught my eye on
Multimap just now although I have never been there.

Someone told me that Sarah Fergusson hails
from Dummer.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dummer&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=10.252706,25.180664&ie=UTF8&ll=51.226453,-1.145325&spn=0..093096,0.2314&z=12&om=1

John B
June 4th 07, 08:50 AM
wrote:

> > "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
>
> > > There is /not/ a village called Great Snoring. Surely!
>
> My favourite is Dummer, which has a very fine pub.

A little too 'dining' for my liking :-(

> The nearby Farleigh Wallop caught my eye on
> Multimap just now although I have never been there.

Also nearby are Gobley Hole and Bedlam Bottom.
The latter is a terrificly narrow 1in 6 drop followed by the same up the other side.
It has, of course, the regulation loose gravel at the bottom and is well known by local bikies ;-)

> Someone told me that Sarah Fergusson hails
> from Dummer.

Yes, Dummer Down Farm was the home of the Fergusons, but it went on the market last year.

John B

Roger Merriman
June 4th 07, 09:18 AM
wafflycat > wrote:

> Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off his
> bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there shouldn't be
> in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since I've been out on
> my bike. I planned to go out yesterday, but due to waking at 4am on Saturday
> morning with the mother of all migraines, the put the kybosh on that idea.
> Thankfully this morning heralded another fine day and husband said he'd stay
> in with the offspring.

yes was a rather hard day to do work, sounds like offspring is healing
well then?

> So I headed out. Headed north, up through Whissonsett and Colkirk and then
> took a right to go over to Great Ryborough, and then swung up north again.
> Through some stunningly lovely North Norfolk villages full of flint
> cottages, with garden walls covered in flowers, past many an ancient church,
> past manor houses, halls and fields full of cattle & horses. All on quiet
> lanes, undulating up & down & round & round. Hardly a car about, and loads
> of kids on bikes, people out walking on a gloriously sunny day. I made Wells
> in just over two hours. Wells was heaving with grockles, so I only stopped
> long enough to eat an ice cream & headed back. Slightly different route -
> down to Walsingham and then to Great Snoring, Little Snoring, Kettlestone,
> back to Ryborough, Colkirk and Whissonsett but rather than straight home,
> did a detour to Mileham, Litcham and Beeston before getting home having done
> 100.71km on 3 energy gels, a few dried apricots and two big bottles of
> water, oh, and the ice cream at Wells. The day was perfect cycling weather.
> I saw a marsh harrier swooping low over fields just outside of Wells. Had a
> horse join in by running alongside as I cycled past its field. Birdsong, the
> sound of bees visiting wildflowers in the hedgerows. Sheer joy. My soul
> sang.

i went 2nd time to a club run to the local club. nice ride through north
surrey. got to love zig zag road rather wounderfuly direct name for a
road that does zig zag!

my one knee i damadged years ago did cause some discomfort on the last
mile or so, riding home form the club ride, which was 50 something miles
apparently.

roger

Chris Smith
June 4th 07, 09:52 AM
wafflycat wrote:
> Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off
> his bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there
> shouldn't be in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since
> I've been out on my bike. I planned to go out yesterday, but due to
> waking at 4am on Saturday morning with the mother of all migraines, the
> put the kybosh on that idea. Thankfully this morning heralded another
> fine day and husband said he'd stay in with the offspring.
>
> So I headed out. <snip tale of long distance velotry>

We'll be seeing you on the Garboldisham 200 next Sunday then? ;)

--
Chris

wafflycat
June 4th 07, 11:45 AM
"Chris Smith" > wrote in message
> wafflycat wrote:
>> Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off his
>> bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there shouldn't
>> be in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since I've been
>> out on my bike. I planned to go out yesterday, but due to waking at 4am
>> on Saturday morning with the mother of all migraines, the put the kybosh
>> on that idea. Thankfully this morning heralded another fine day and
>> husband said he'd stay in with the offspring.
>>
>> So I headed out. <snip tale of long distance velotry>
>
> We'll be seeing you on the Garboldisham 200 next Sunday then? ;)

No fear of that. I'll be doing my first 200 at the Dun Run!

Simon Mason
June 4th 07, 12:19 PM
"wafflycat" > wrote in message The day was
perfect cycling weather.
> I saw a marsh harrier swooping low over fields just outside of Wells. Had
> a horse join in by running alongside as I cycled past its field. Birdsong,
> the sound of bees visiting wildflowers in the hedgerows. Sheer joy. My
> soul sang.

Great stuff. It sure beats the ghastly world of TTing ;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Brendan Halpin
June 4th 07, 04:02 PM
"wafflycat" > writes:

> before getting home having done 100.71km on 3 energy gels, a few

I beat that. Finally did what I've been meaning to for about two
years, and did a circuit of Lough Derg -- about 120km around the
lake, plus twice 20 to get there, making it my first imperial
century (well, about 700 metres short of 100 miles to be precise).

Great trip, but unfortunately the "highlight" -- in a thoroughly
negative sense -- was to arrive on scene just after an elderly
female cyclist had been run into from behind. Tough old bird who
wouldn't stay lying down despite my best efforts. Lots of blood and
dazed, but no serious injuries apparent. On the other hand, it's
just the sort of thing to turn a healthy mobile 78 year-old into an
old person in terminal decline. Driver, apparently daydreaming,
just drove into her.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

Danny Colyer
June 4th 07, 08:31 PM
wafflycat wrote:
Sheer joy. My soul sang.

Sounds like a perfect ride, and I bet you needed it with recent events.

When Nathan starts healing, make the most of being able to ride faster
than him for a while ;-)

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

wafflycat
June 4th 07, 08:49 PM
"Danny Colyer" > wrote in message
> wafflycat wrote:
> Sheer joy. My soul sang.
>
> Sounds like a perfect ride, and I bet you needed it with recent events.

It was and I did!

> When Nathan starts healing, make the most of being able to ride faster
> than him for a while ;-)

No chance of that. I have one speed: slow pootle. Even injured he'll be
faster than me. Sigh...

Tim Hall
June 4th 07, 09:18 PM
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:38:19 +0100, "wafflycat"
> wrote:

>Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off his
>bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there shouldn't be
>in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since I've been out on
>my bike.

<snip>

> having done
>100.71km on 3 energy gels, a few dried apricots and two big bottles of
>water, oh, and the ice cream at Wells.

Excellent stuff Helen.

A couple of points:

1) I had you down as unfit, for which I apologise. Your cover is blown
or I was badly misled.

2) Energy gels sound like athletic young ladies off to play lacrosse.

>The day was perfect cycling weather.
>I saw a marsh harrier swooping low over fields just outside of Wells.

How do I spot a marsh harrier? Particular flight pattern ect ect.

> Had a
>horse join in by running alongside as I cycled past its field. Birdsong, the
>sound of bees visiting wildflowers in the hedgerows. Sheer joy. My soul
>sang.

As well it should.

Tim

wafflycat
June 4th 07, 10:28 PM
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:38:19 +0100, "wafflycat"
> > wrote:
>
>>Due to the offspring doing the most inconsderate thing of falling off his
>>bike, breaking bits of his body and growing lumps where there shouldn't be
>>in the form of massive bruises, it's felt like ages since I've been out on
>>my bike.
>

> <snip>
>
>> having done
>>100.71km on 3 energy gels, a few dried apricots and two big bottles of
>>water, oh, and the ice cream at Wells.
>

> Excellent stuff Helen.
>
> A couple of points:
>
> 1) I had you down as unfit, for which I apologise. Your cover is blown
> or I was badly misled.

You had me down correct, no need to apologise. I'm not bad for a fat lass,
but not yet 'fit'. I am, however, improving as I need to as I'm doing the
Dun Run in July and I *will* do the entire thing short of howling gale
floods, snow or hail.

Mind you, my lovely offspring has said that although many of his mates have
slimmer mums, none of them are as fit as I am as they couldn't cycle five
miles let alone 60+, so I am grateful for the fitness I have. I'll count
myself as sort of fit if I manage to complete the DunRun before teatime on
the Sunday. I don't do fast.

> 2) Energy gels sound like athletic young ladies off to play lacrosse.

It's my delusions of youth. I'm trying to ignore my matronly figure, effects
of gravity upon it and advancing years on the basis that if I ignore them,
they aren't happening. But I could have a stern word with Issac Newton as
there was no gravity until he discovered it ;-)

>>The day was perfect cycling weather.
>>I saw a marsh harrier swooping low over fields just outside of Wells.
>

> How do I spot a marsh harrier? Particular flight pattern ect ect.

Saw big bird swooping low over fields. It was an interesting shape. There
was a twitcher there with bins, eyeing it closely. So as I cycled by I asked
what the bird was and asked if it was a buzzard. He told me it was a marsh
harrier.

>> Had a
>>horse join in by running alongside as I cycled past its field. Birdsong,
>>the
>>sound of bees visiting wildflowers in the hedgerows. Sheer joy. My soul
>>sang.
>
> As well it should.
>

> Tim

Google