PDA

View Full Version : New edition of Cyclecraft - cover is a triumph

June 5th 07, 03:47 PM
While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
Cyclecraft
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!

David

PhilD
June 5th 07, 04:01 PM
On Jun 5, 3:47 pm, wrote:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>
> David

"Leave your head at home when taking your bike out"?

PhilD

--
<><

Dan Gregory
June 5th 07, 04:03 PM
wrote:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecraft
> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!

Not wearing - track mitts?

Ekul Namsob
June 5th 07, 04:08 PM
> wrote:

> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecraft
> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!

But she really ought to be wearing gloves.

Cheers,
Luke ;-)

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Matt B
June 5th 07, 04:09 PM
PhilD wrote:
> On Jun 5, 3:47 pm, wrote:
>> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
>> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>>
>> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>>
>> David
>
> "Leave your head at home when taking your bike out"?

Some (but not me) would suggest that that often appears to be the case
anyway. ;-)

--
Matt B

Martin Dann
June 5th 07, 04:09 PM
Dan Gregory wrote:
> wrote:
>> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
>> Cyclecraft
>> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>>
>> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>
> Not wearing - track mitts?

I think the OP is alluding to a certain "safety debate" about certain
"safety accessories".
Personally I don't care whether she was wearing sunglasses or not.

Martin.

p.k.
June 5th 07, 04:14 PM
wrote:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecraft
> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>
> David

But her flapping laces are about to catch in the chain and she will take a
slow speed tumble onto the road!

pk

June 5th 07, 04:15 PM
On Jun 5, 3:47 pm, wrote:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!

yup

You just can't tell if the hubs are hanging from the top spokes or
standing on the bottom ones.

You can't tell if she is using dry or wet chain lube

Is that a Brooks saddle or not

However I notice she is not using a hub dynamo and is mixing
horizontal and vertical stripes in her outfit

igmc
james

Peter Clinch
June 5th 07, 04:17 PM
Ekul Namsob wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
>> Cyclecraft
>> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>>
>> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>
> But she really ought to be wearing gloves.

Other getup doesn't suggest it's /that/ cold...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

POHB
June 5th 07, 05:38 PM
On 5 Jun, 15:47, wrote:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>
> David

Yes that's a mighty bell on those handlebars

rothers
June 5th 07, 06:11 PM
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:38:30 -0700, POHB > wrote:

>On 5 Jun, 15:47, wrote:
>> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
>> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>>
>> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>>
>> David
>
>Yes that's a mighty bell on those handlebars

I want one ! :), what make is it ?

Neil

Rob Morley
June 5th 07, 06:22 PM
In article >, rothers
says...
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:38:30 -0700, POHB > wrote:
>
> >On 5 Jun, 15:47, wrote:
> >> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> >> Cyclecrafthttp://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
> >>
> >> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
> >>
> >> David
> >
> >Yes that's a mighty bell on those handlebars
>
> I want one ! :), what make is it ?

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/391-16416-11

Danny Colyer
June 5th 07, 07:29 PM
rothers wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:38:30 -0700, POHB > wrote:
>>Yes that's a mighty bell on those handlebars
>
> I want one ! :), what make is it ?

It looks the same as mine. Fiver from Halfords.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Paul Boyd[_2_]
June 5th 07, 09:53 PM
On 05/06/2007 18:11, rothers said,

> I want one ! :), what make is it ?

It doesn't matter - the local chavs *still* won't be able to understand
what that ringing noise is :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 5th 07, 10:17 PM
wrote on 05/06/2007 15:47 +0100:
> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
> Cyclecraft
> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>
> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!

"Not wearing a head saved my life™"

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Marc
June 5th 07, 10:23 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> wrote on 05/06/2007 15:47 +0100:
>> While looking for references I discovered the new edition of
>> Cyclecraft
>> http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
>>
>> The cover certainly manages to avoid one argument magnificently!
>>

> "Not wearing a head saved my life™"

By not wearing a head, my overall height is lower , so I avoided an
accident that I would have had if I had a head?

No head means less rotational torque?

rothers
June 6th 07, 09:05 AM
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:53:03 +0100, Paul Boyd > wrote:

>On 05/06/2007 18:11, rothers said,
>
>> I want one ! :), what make is it ?
>
>It doesn't matter - the local chavs *still* won't be able to understand
>what that ringing noise is :-)

Perhaps I could attach a cord and use it as a weapon yo-yo style :)

Peter Clinch
June 6th 07, 01:01 PM
Geraint Jones wrote:

> Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?

It's about the only reason I wear them any more for utility cycling.

> I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
> feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
> on a hot summer's day.

About a decade ago I'd have felt undressed on a bike without a helmet, a
dayglo jacket, gloves and "eyewear". While one generally knows these
things aren't essential, it's something of the UK cycling mindset that
you ought to have them to be a "proper" cyclist. I was finally and
fully cured of that particular misconception after about 5 minutes of
cycling in Amsterdam, where there are thousands of people managing
perfectly well in the sort of clothes most of us would be happy walking
around a town in.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Stephen Patterson
June 6th 07, 01:59 PM
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:

> Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?
>
> I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
> feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
> on a hot summer's day.

and I often wear gloves because the handlebar grips get sticky when
there's even a suggestion of moisture in the air.

--
Stephen Patterson :: :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber:

John Hearns
June 6th 07, 02:37 PM
marc wrote:

>> "Not wearing a head saved my life™"
>>

> By not wearing a head, my overall height is lower , so I avoided an
> accident that I would have had if I had a head?
>
> No head means less rotational torque?

Indeed. And there is also another effect - the head is a significant
proportion of the whole body mass, and by removing that mass you will
lower the centre of gravity and therefore make the cyclist/bike
combination more stable.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/centerofmass.shtml

wafflycat
June 6th 07, 02:40 PM
"Stephen Patterson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:
>
>> Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?
>>
>> I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
>> feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
>> on a hot summer's day.
>
> and I often wear gloves because the handlebar grips get sticky when
> there's even a suggestion of moisture in the air.

I wear gloves even if the day is hot as I get cold hands very easily - even
on a hot day my hands can be cold due to the wind effect of the forward
motion.

PhilD
June 6th 07, 03:13 PM
On Jun 6, 2:40 pm, "wafflycat" > wrote:
> I wear gloves even if the day is hot as I get cold hands very easily - even
> on a hot day my hands can be cold due to the wind effect of the forward
> motion.

"wind effect of the forward motion"? Lucky you: I only ever seem to
get "wind effect of a head wind", whichever way I go!

PhilD

--
<><

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 6th 07, 04:05 PM
"wafflycat" >typed

> I wear gloves even if the day is hot as I get cold hands very easily - even
> on a hot day my hands can be cold due to the wind effect of the forward
> motion.

Wearing fingerless gloves in summer rain keeps fingers warm enough to
dry rubber solution should the p******e f**** pay you a visit on your
travels. She visited me once when I was unable to remove the inner tube,
so replacement was not an option...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Ekul Namsob
June 6th 07, 06:25 PM
Stephen Patterson > wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:
>
> > Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?
> >
> > I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
> > feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
> > on a hot summer's day.
>
> and I often wear gloves because the handlebar grips get sticky when
> there's even a suggestion of moisture in the air.

I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
consider de rigueur for cycling.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 6th 07, 06:54 PM
(Ekul Namsob)typed

> Stephen Patterson > wrote:

> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?
> > >
> > > I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
> > > feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
> > > on a hot summer's day.
> >
> > and I often wear gloves because the handlebar grips get sticky when
> > there's even a suggestion of moisture in the air.

> I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
> consider de rigueur for cycling.

Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Rob Morley
June 6th 07, 06:59 PM
In article <1hzat0d.1svpj24q6jsodN%
>, Ekul Namsob
says...
> Stephen Patterson > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:01:44 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Surely one doesn't wear gloves just because of the cold?
> > >
> > > I certainly wear heavier gloves in cold weather, but I
> > > feel undressed without the unlined goat-leather gloves
> > > on a hot summer's day.
> >
> > and I often wear gloves because the handlebar grips get sticky when
> > there's even a suggestion of moisture in the air.
>
> I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> unforgiving.

Keep adding layers of bar tape until they're comfy. :-)

Ekul Namsob
June 6th 07, 09:13 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht > wrote:

> (Ekul Namsob)typed

> > I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> > unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
> > consider de rigueur for cycling.
>
> Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)

No. Too much chance of important bits getting caught in the gearing.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 6th 07, 09:34 PM
(Ekul Namsob)typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht > wrote:

> > (Ekul Namsob)typed

> > > I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> > > unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
> > > consider de rigueur for cycling.
> >
> > Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)

> No. Too much chance of important bits getting caught in the gearing.

> Cheers,
> Luke

I'm sure many riders wear shoes...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

David Damerell
June 7th 07, 02:23 AM
Quoting Helen Deborah Vecht >:
>Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)

I will, if any other urcers are going. Brown tandem old enough to have a
level top tube, short girl on the back who's extremely LOUD.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

Peter Clinch
June 7th 07, 08:55 AM
Ekul Namsob wrote:

> I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
> consider de rigueur for cycling.

Wouldn't it be better to address the cause rather than fiddle with the
symptoms?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Ekul Namsob
June 7th 07, 09:21 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht > wrote:

> (Ekul Namsob)typed
>

> > Helen Deborah Vecht > wrote:
>
> > > (Ekul Namsob)typed

> > > Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)
>
> > No. Too much chance of important bits getting caught in the gearing.

> I'm sure many riders wear shoes...

You mean that don't screw the cleats directly into their feet?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ekul Namsob
June 7th 07, 09:42 AM
Peter Clinch > wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>
> > I wear gloves when riding my Ribble just because my handlebars are so
> > unforgiving. They are, right now, about the only item of clothing I
> > consider de rigueur for cycling.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to address the cause rather than fiddle with the
> symptoms?

Maybe. However, it seems easier to wear gloves which will absorb
vibration and perspiration and which are washable than to fiddle with
the handlebar tape and remove it for frequent washing.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Dan Gregory
June 7th 07, 03:51 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I'm sure many riders wear shoes...

I have often heard riders turning up for races in cars being rather
unhappy because they left their shoes at home ...

Danny Colyer
June 7th 07, 08:13 PM
David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Helen Deborah Vecht >:
>>Will you be on the ride on Saturday, then? ;-)
>
> I will, if any other urcers are going. Brown tandem old enough to have a
> level top tube, short girl on the back who's extremely LOUD.

I hope to be on the London ride, but probably won't be.

There's a unicycle hockey tournament in London on the same day. I'll
get a lift to London for the tournament and if my team can spare me
(which currently looks unlikely) then I'll do the ride.

I'm as yet undecided which unicycle to use. If the average speed is
likely to be < 6mph then the 20" would be best (which would be handy,
because that's the one I use for hockey). If it's likely to be > 8mph
then the 26" would be better.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Helen Deborah Vecht
June 8th 07, 12:08 AM
Dan Gregory >typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > I'm sure many riders wear shoes...
> >

> I have often heard riders turning up for races in cars being rather
> unhappy because they left their shoes at home ...

A certain eminent Audax rider was DNS when she turned up by car with two
left shoes...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

David Damerell
June 8th 07, 02:52 PM
Quoting Danny Colyer >:
>I'm as yet undecided which unicycle to use. If the average speed is
>likely to be < 6mph then the 20" would be best (which would be handy,
>because that's the one I use for hockey). If it's likely to be > 8mph
>then the 26" would be better.

Well, it's 6 miles, start at 15:30, afterparty organised to start 17:00 15
minutes' ride away... I suspect the speed is almost precisely in your
unsweet spot.
--
David Damerell > flcl?
Today is First Brieday, June.

Danny Colyer
June 8th 07, 08:48 PM
David Damerell wrote:
> Well, it's 6 miles, start at 15:30, afterparty organised to start 17:00 15
> minutes' ride away... I suspect the speed is almost precisely in your
> unsweet spot.

Seems like the 20" will be the best bet, and take a hockey stick along
to lean on during the inevitable stops (repeated idling on slow rides
gets *very* tiring after a while).

The 20" is comfortable at about 4-8mph, it's far more practical at lower
speeds than the 26" and, if necessary, I can get up to about 14mph for
short periods.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

David Damerell
June 11th 07, 04:34 PM
Quoting Danny Colyer >:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>Well, it's 6 miles, start at 15:30, afterparty organised to start 17:00 15
>>minutes' ride away... I suspect the speed is almost precisely in your
>>unsweet spot.
>Seems like the 20" will be the best bet, and take a hockey stick along
>to lean on during the inevitable stops

I saw two tallbikes and one other tandem, but no unicyclists.

Our luck was not in. We got a flat in Trafalgar Square which dropped us
off the back - we rode quickly up to the tail end of the ride crossing
Waterloo Bridge - but then near Tottenham Court Road the drive chain
broke. I've never broken a chain before.

So we put on our clothes and went home. Bah.
--
David Damerell > Distortion Field!
Today is First Stilday, June - a weekend.

Dave Larrington
June 12th 07, 10:37 AM
In ,
Helen Deborah Vecht > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> Dan Gregory >typed
>

>> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>>> I'm sure many riders wear shoes...
>>>

>> I have often heard riders turning up for races in cars being rather
>> unhappy because they left their shoes at home ...
>
> A certain eminent Audax rider was DNS when she turned up by car with
> two left shoes...

And a certain Eminent Bicycle Designer was a DNS in an HPV race when he
turned up by car with the front wheels of his recumbent trike left sitting
in the road outside his house :-)

--
Dave Larrington
It is impossible to eat a banana without looking like a tw*t.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home