PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Yet another wrist slap.

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 5th 07, 08:06 PM
Bet even Nugent and Dean couldn't defend this one.

Tony

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/6724293.stm

Motorist 'had 25 pints of lager'

A motorist who admitted to police he had drunk up to 25 pints of lager
before getting behind the wheel of his car has been spared a prison term.

Stuart Walker could not stand unaided and was unable to give a
breathalyser test when police found him in a lay-by.

Walker, 60, of Ashbury Close, Cambridge, admitted driving while over the
limit.

He was given a three-month jail term, suspended for two years, and was
banned from driving for five years.

Magistrate Elizabeth Cox told the crane operator: "This is totally
unacceptable and very dangerous behaviour.

"This could have had very serious consequences not just for yourself but
for other members of the public."

Walker, who was also convicted of drink-driving in 1998, had driven his
Peugeot to the Woolpack pub in the village of Sawston and then drove
home after his marathon drinking session on 14 May.

He pulled into a lay-by on the A1301 Sawston bypass to phone his son,
but a passing police car pulled in and officers smelled alcohol on
Walker's breath, the court heard.

A breath test later found he was more than three times over the legal
limit with 131 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath - the
legal level for driving is 35 micrograms.

Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk between
20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just after 2200 BST.

But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20 or 25 pints,
there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."

After the case, road safety charity Brake said Walker should have been
jailed.

"Walker showed no regard for the lives of other road users and could
quite easily have killed or injured someone when he got behind the wheel
after 20 pints," Brake general manager Sarah Fatica said.

A Cambridgeshire Police spokeswoman said: "This was a very unusual
incident - one of the highest readings our traffic officers have ever
seen if not the highest."

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Paul Boyd
June 6th 07, 10:11 AM
Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:

> Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk between
> 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just after 2200 BST.
>
> But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20 or 25 pints,
> there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."

I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically drink
that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Dave Larrington
June 6th 07, 11:26 AM
In ,
Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:
>
>> Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk
>> between 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just
>> after 2200 BST. But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20
>> or 25 pints,
>> there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."
>
> I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically
> drink that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?

Practice?

--
Dave Larrington
Remembering the quantity of Pedigree shipped on his 22nd birthday

wafflycat
June 6th 07, 11:32 AM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
> us:
>> Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:
>>
>>> Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk
>>> between 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just
>>> after 2200 BST. But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20
>>> or 25 pints,
>>> there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."
>>
>> I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically
>> drink that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?
>
> Practice?

And lots of visits to the WC...

June 6th 07, 01:43 PM
On Jun 6, 6:11 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:
> Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:
>
> > Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk between
> > 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just after 2200 BST.
>
> > But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20 or 25 pints,
> > there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."
>
> I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically drink
> that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?

I won't swear I drank them all in full, but I did win 18 pints at
table football one night as a student, and going past 10 was not that
big a deal. It was fairly weak bitter, 50p per pint. There were surely
plenty of people who could drink a whole lot more than me, and with a
few decades of practice, who knows what is achievable...

(The bet was one pint per goal net, on a pair of back-to-back games
which I won 10-0 and 9-1 - I didn't win the 18th pint after drinking
the first 17!)

James

Alan Braggins
June 6th 07, 02:04 PM
In article >, Paul Boyd wrote:
>Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:
>
>> Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk between
>> 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just after 2200 BST.
>>
>> But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20 or 25 pints,
>> there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."
>
>I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically drink
>that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?

Do we know his "marathon drinking session" started in the evening, or is
it possible his lawyer was ignoring it being an all day session in an
attempt to find some mitigating statement?

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 6th 07, 03:05 PM
Paul Boyd wrote on 06/06/2007 10:11 +0100:

> I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically drink
> that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?

In my student days I occasionally mixed with Sheffield steel workers who
would regularly put away that much. It used to be that they were given
free beer at work to cope with the dehydration of the heat. These days
H&S would have a fit if you did that.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Martin Dann
June 6th 07, 03:13 PM
Alan Braggins wrote:

> Do we know his "marathon drinking session" started in the evening, or is
> it possible his lawyer was ignoring it being an all day session in an
> attempt to find some mitigating statement?

Yes, I could imagine in court:
"In mitigation we think he only drank 18 pints, not the twenty claimed,
and only he has one previous drink driving conviction."

I knew people at uni who could drink 10 pints of strong beer in an
evening. 20 pints of weakish beer over the whole day would be nothing
for them.

Martin.

Ekul Namsob
June 6th 07, 08:34 PM
> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 6:11 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:
> > Tony Raven quoted the following on 05/06/2007 20:06:
> >
> > > Interviewed the following day, Walker told officers he had drunk
> > > between 20 and 25 pints and could not remember leaving the pub just
> > > after 2200 BST.
> >
> > > But Monica Lentin, mitigating for Walker, said: "The 20 or 25 pints,
> > > there is no way he could have had that and lived in one evening."
> >
> > I would have to concur with that last bit - how can you physically drink
> > that much in one evening?!?!?!?!?!?
>
> I won't swear I drank them all in full, but I did win 18 pints at
> table football one night as a student, and going past 10 was not that
> big a deal.

Before I was legally able to purchase beer, I managed 13 pints of
Guinness. It's simply a matter of pacing oneself.

I suspect I would have struggled to drink 20 pints of something as
strong as water even in the prime of my youth.

The ferry crossing the following day was quite challenging.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Google