PDA

View Full Version : Bike like a Drunk!

donquijote1954
June 6th 07, 11:43 PM
Well, I was considering dropping such an exciting sport in order to
survive. See, it's stupid to face the beast. Case in point is the
recent hit and run (so common in America) in which the victim faced
the bloody predator. Well, she was run over and dragged for several
miles. It can only makes me nervous to ride a bike and get on the way
of such beasts...

Luckily though I found a way around it, other than walking everywhere
or catch the noisy buses. I always wondered what was the secret to the
longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
kind of hints at their longevity. So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
own and install a couple of those huge baskets. Voila! This is
paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
out there...

So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
beware of the cars and MADD"...

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll)
June 7th 07, 01:55 AM
On Jun 6, 5:43 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
> Well, I was considering dropping such an exciting sport in order to
> survive. See, it's stupid to face the beast. Case in point is the
> recent hit and run (so common in America) in which the victim faced
> the bloody predator. Well, she was run over and dragged for several
> miles. It can only makes me nervous to ride a bike and get on the way
> of such beasts...
>
> Luckily though I found a way around it, other than walking everywhere
> or catch the noisy buses. I always wondered what was the secret to the
> longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
> with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
> Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
> kind of hints at their longevity. So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
> own and install a couple of those huge baskets. Voila! This is
> paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
> out there...
>
> So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
> beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
> beware of the cars and MADD"...
>
> WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
>
> BIKE FOR PEACEhttp://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

If I was old enough, I would get a moped or scooter. And the buses are
noisy, and really musty when they go back
Thats why I'am glad Minneapolis has the light rail as an alternative.

donquijote1954
June 7th 07, 07:12 PM
I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
can follow up heated debated...

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=banter&tid=675295

Just a sample...

OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:

WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
HAND, IN AN SUV?

Just curious...

Pat
June 7th 07, 09:02 PM
On Jun 6, 8:55 pm, "William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/
pto-20050322-000002.htmll)" > wrote:
> On Jun 6, 5:43 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
>

> > Well, I was considering dropping such an exciting sport in order to
> > survive. See, it's stupid to face the beast. Case in point is the
> > recent hit and run (so common in America) in which the victim faced
> > the bloody predator. Well, she was run over and dragged for several
> > miles. It can only makes me nervous to ride a bike and get on the way
> > of such beasts...
>
> > Luckily though I found a way around it, other than walking everywhere
> > or catch the noisy buses. I always wondered what was the secret to the
> > longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
> > with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
> > Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
> > kind of hints at their longevity. So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
> > own and install a couple of those huge baskets. Voila! This is
> > paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
> > out there...
>
> > So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
> > beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
> > beware of the cars and MADD"...
>
> > WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
>
> > BIKE FOR PEACEhttp://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace
>
> If I was old enough, I would get a moped or scooter. And the buses are
> noisy, and really musty when they go back
> Thats why I'am glad Minneapolis has the light rail as an alternative.

Before you get one, check your state's licensing requirements. In
NYS, you need a motorcycle license for them. It's pretty silly for a
moped.

William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
June 7th 07, 10:01 PM
On Jun 7, 1:12 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
> I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
> can follow up heated debated...
>
> http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=banter&tid=675295
>
> Just a sample...
>
> OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:
>
> WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
> HAND, IN AN SUV?
>
> Just curious...

Actually there was a recent study on how talking on your phone while
driving is just as bad as driving drunk.

Martin Edwards
June 8th 07, 04:00 PM
donquijote1954 wrote:
> I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
> can follow up heated debated...
>
> http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=banter&tid=675295
>
> Just a sample...
>
> OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:
>
> WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
> HAND, IN AN SUV?
>
> Just curious...

The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management

Calvin Henry-Cotnam
June 8th 07, 07:36 PM
Martin Edwards ) said...

>donquijote1954 wrote:
>>
>> WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
>> HAND, IN AN SUV?
>>
>The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

I would side with that. The drunk, though much slower to react, is at
least paying attention to the road. Someone on a phone is not only not
paying full attention, but will out of force of habbit delay reaction.

Even someone using a hands-free phone is just not all there.

Some have argued that being distracted by using a phone is no different
than being distracted by a conversation with a passenger. This is totally
bull. When you are having a conversation with someone who is present and
as aware of the surroundings as you are, events that require an
interruption in the conversation are addressed immediately.

When you are on the phone with someone, whether you believe this or not,
you subconsciously go out of your way to keep the conversation in motion,
even if that means taking the time to say, "hold on a moment...".

If you were driving with someone and a child darts out after a ball in
front of you, you would immediately stop your conversation in mid-sentence
to deal with the sudden need to stop or swerve. When on the phone, you
are talking with someone who would react to your sudden silence. They might
think the call was dropped or you were being rude, but regardless, you
automatically try to avoid that situation OVER and above other reactions.
Whether you are aware you are doing this or not, you have the need to
seque from talking to not talking and, in that time, you hit the child.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Bill
June 8th 07, 07:48 PM
Martin Edwards wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
>> I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
>> can follow up heated debated...
>>
>> http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=banter&tid=675295
>>
>> Just a sample...
>>
>> OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:
>>
>> WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
>> HAND, IN AN SUV?
>>
>> Just curious...
>>

> The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.

I'll side with that. If a man is yakking on the phone he may be a
business type who is only thinking of himself and his oh so important
job. Either that or his wife is telling him what to do.
Either way, he has control of the massive metal.
Bill Baka

donquijote1954
June 8th 07, 08:21 PM
On Jun 8, 2:48 pm, Bill > wrote:
> Martin Edwards wrote:
> > donquijote1954 wrote:
> >> I guess nobody rides a bike around here --or drinks-- but here they
> >> can follow up heated debated...
>
> >>http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=banter&tid=675295
>
> >> Just a sample...
>
> >> OK, I'm getting real mad and I got this question for MADD:
>
> >> WHO'S MORE DANGEROUS, A DRUNK MAN ON A BIKE, OR A SOBER MAN, PHONE IN
> >> HAND, IN AN SUV?
>
> >> Just curious...
>
> > The one in the SUV: he's more likely to be a wingnut.
>
> I'll side with that. If a man is yakking on the phone he may be a
> business type who is only thinking of himself and his oh so important
> job. Either that or his wife is telling him what to do.
> Either way, he has control of the massive metal.
> Bill Baka-

We need to remind that to MADD. And tell them we are really mad about
it.

donquijote1954
June 8th 07, 08:39 PM
--The sober guy talking on the phone in his SUV isn't five years in
arrears on his child support for six children.--

Everybody picks on the drunk because he's the one with the bad image.
Lawyers, teachers, and soccer moms, who recklessly drive oversized
vehicles, are part of the system, and thus part of the hypocrisy.

William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
June 8th 07, 11:24 PM
On Jun 8, 2:39 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
> --The sober guy talking on the phone in his SUV isn't five years in
> arrears on his child support for six children.--
>
> Everybody picks on the drunk because he's the one with the bad image.
> Lawyers, teachers, and soccer moms, who recklessly drive oversized
> vehicles, are part of the system, and thus part of the hypocrisy.

Bold statement, bold statement indeed. But tell me this, is the guy
who is breaking the law, putting
his life in danger along with many others not worthy of a "bad image"?

Bob
June 10th 07, 11:29 PM
On Jun 6, 5:43 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
> Well, I was considering dropping such an exciting sport in order to
> survive. See, it's stupid to face the beast. Case in point is the
> recent hit and run (so common in America) in which the victim faced
> the bloody predator. Well, she was run over and dragged for several
> miles. It can only makes me nervous to ride a bike and get on the way
> of such beasts...
>
> Luckily though I found a way around it, other than walking everywhere
> or catch the noisy buses. I always wondered what was the secret to the
> longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
> with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
> Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
> kind of hints at their longevity. So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
> own and install a couple of those huge baskets. Voila! This is
> paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
> out there...
>
> So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
> beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
> beware of the cars and MADD"...
>
> WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
>
> BIKE FOR PEACEhttp://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

I only read this poster's messages when I'm really bored although I do
get a kick out of what I can only call his *boasting* about being too
frightened to enjoy something millions of people of all ages do every
single day without any injury whatsoever. What a maroon.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

donquijote1954
June 11th 07, 04:54 PM
On Jun 8, 6:24 pm, "William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll
)" > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2:39 pm, donquijote1954 > wrote:
>
> > --The sober guy talking on the phone in his SUV isn't five years in
> > arrears on his child support for six children.--
>
> > Everybody picks on the drunk because he's the one with the bad image.
> > Lawyers, teachers, and soccer moms, who recklessly drive oversized
> > vehicles, are part of the system, and thus part of the hypocrisy.
>
> Bold statement, bold statement indeed. But tell me this, is the guy
> who is breaking the law, putting
> his life in danger along with many others not worthy of a "bad image"?

Yes indeed. The problem is the terrorists in SUVs do enjoy good
reputation. Then you got to come to conclusion, "Hey, it's all about
money!" They squeeze every penny out of the monkey who had some
drinks, but don't mess with the lion who talks recklessly on the phone
and ignores the rules of the road. And what separates the monkey from
the lion? You guessed it right: MONEY!

Road hogs

A monstrous breed of automobile stalks the highways of LA, but one
activist is determined to make it extinct, writes Duncan Campbell

One of the great banes of life in California is the Sport Utility
Vehicle, the SUV, the enormous four-wheel-drive cars that are also
becoming increasingly popular in Britain and elsewhere in Europe. They
take up an enormous amount of space on the road. They clog up parking
places. They use an enormous amount of petrol and do an enormous
amount of damage to the environment.

Because they are marketed as a safe family car - that is, safe, as in
killing other people in a crash rather than yourself - their
popularity has grown. Most car manufacturers now look to them as a big
moneymaker. Sometimes it seems as though every freeway is populated
entirely by people in SUVs talking into their cellphones.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4395102,00.html

Tom Keats
June 11th 07, 09:21 PM
In article . com>,
donquijote1954 > writes:

> I always wondered what was the secret to the
> longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
> with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
> Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
> kind of hints at their longevity.

You certainly have some haywire notions.

> So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
> own and install a couple of those huge baskets.

You said you were going to quit riding.

> Voila! This is
> paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
> out there...

The pedestrians are just minding their own beeswax on /their/
sidewalks. If there's a problem, you're creating it by
introducing a vehicle that doesn't belong in the pedestrians'
realm.

> So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
> beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
> beware of the cars and MADD"...

They'll also tell you about how they caught their old lady meshin'
aroun' with that goof who livsh nesht door, and how they're gonna
pound the crap outa both of 'em. Then they start bawling their
eyes out & creating a scene that you desperately want to escape
from before they start puking their O-ring out, and then they
light the filter end of a cigarette, and smoke it. But if you
think you can glean pearls of wisdom from drunks, go for it.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Pat
June 11th 07, 10:27 PM
On Jun 11, 4:21 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article . com>,
> donquijote1954 > writes:
>
> > I always wondered what was the secret to the
> > longevity of the drunks (I knew it wasn't alcohol), and looked, almost
> > with envy, at their leasure riding of cruising bikes with baskets.
> > Well, drunks aren't stupid. They ride bikes on the sidewalks, which
> > kind of hints at their longevity.
>
> You certainly have some haywire notions.
>
> > So I decided to buy a cruiser of my
> > own and install a couple of those huge baskets.
>
> You said you were going to quit riding.
>
> > Voila! This is
> > paradise! Only problem may be the pedestrians, but, hey, it's a jungle
> > out there...
>
> The pedestrians are just minding their own beeswax on /their/
> sidewalks. If there's a problem, you're creating it by
> introducing a vehicle that doesn't belong in the pedestrians'
> realm.

I think that whether or not a bike belongs in "the pedestrians' realm"
depends on where you are. In a large city with slow traffic, it's
probably better in the street. But where I live, it would be MUCH
safer on the sidewalk. We have 4 lanes of traffic, no shoulders,
granite curbs and traffic going by at 30-45 mph. When 2 tractor
trailers with double trailer are going by, side by side, you're best
not to be anywhere near them. If you're on a bike, there's no place
to go and you are trying to stop a humungous truck in order to avoid a
bike. It's real dangerous. Plus any fuel savings from the bike is
lost by the TT having to re-accelerate.

So using a side street or a sidewalk is the better choice here.

Besides, even it there is only 1 truck going by, you are effected by
the wind blast.

Even my 800 lb, highly visible motorcycle is no match for those bad-
boys. If I have to cross traffic to get into my driveway and I see 2
tractor trailers coming up behind me, I hit the gas and get out of
there and go to an intersection or someplace safer to turn. ... and I
can out accelerate a bicycle.

This isn't the case everywhere, but I think that you need to look look
at the individual situation instead of making such blanket
statements. The whole world doesn't live in a large city.

> > So now here I am riding my cool cruiser, without having to face the
> > beast out there. The drunks are also honest. They tell you, "Boy,
> > beware of the cars and MADD"...
>
> They'll also tell you about how they caught their old lady meshin'
> aroun' with that goof who livsh nesht door, and how they're gonna
> pound the crap outa both of 'em. Then they start bawling their
> eyes out & creating a scene that you desperately want to escape
> from before they start puking their O-ring out, and then they
> light the filter end of a cigarette, and smoke it. But if you
> think you can glean pearls of wisdom from drunks, go for it.
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Bob
June 12th 07, 04:24 AM
On Jun 11, 10:54 am, donquijote1954 >
wrote:

They squeeze every penny out of the monkey who had some
> drinks, but don't mess with the lion who talks recklessly on the phone
> and ignores the rules of the road. And what separates the monkey from
> the lion?

One has a legal blood alcohol level while the other does not.

Tom Keats
June 12th 07, 06:25 AM
In article . com>,
Pat > writes:

>> The pedestrians are just minding their own beeswax on /their/
>> sidewalks. If there's a problem, you're creating it by
>> introducing a vehicle that doesn't belong in the pedestrians'
>> realm.
>
> I think that whether or not a bike belongs in "the pedestrians' realm"
> depends on where you are. In a large city with slow traffic, it's
> probably better in the street.

Okay, I'll allow there are some isolated instances when riding
on the sidewalk is relatively safer -- *if* it doesn't interfere
with or endanger pedestrians, and if the rider is heads-up at
intersections.

> But where I live, it would be MUCH
> safer on the sidewalk. We have 4 lanes of traffic, no shoulders,
> granite curbs and traffic going by at 30-45 mph. When 2 tractor
> trailers with double trailer are going by, side by side, you're best
> not to be anywhere near them.

So you appear to live somewhere at least civilized enough to
have sidewalks. But how do people stop at stores there, to do
some shopping? Or do they have to just keep going until they
hit the next town, and support /their/ local economy? Living
on a freeway must be pretty tough. Reminds me of the Steven
Wright routine where he tries to unlock his front door with
his car keys. His house starts up. Then he drives it around
a little, parks it on the freeway, and yells at drivers to get
the hell off his driveway.

> If you're on a bike, there's no place
> to go and you are trying to stop a humungous truck in order to avoid a
> bike. It's real dangerous. Plus any fuel savings from the bike is
> lost by the TT having to re-accelerate.

Yeah, truck drivers are all out to run people over.

> So using a side street or a sidewalk is the better choice here.
>
> Besides, even it there is only 1 truck going by, you are effected by
> the wind blast.

Trucks are lovely, when you know how to use them. Just stay
out of their right sides during right turns, and know where
the blind spots are. Wind blast -- pfffft. I love surfing
the bow shock waves from the fronts of trucks. There's a
dodgy spot created by the gap between tractor & trailer, but
a skilled rider can deal with that.

> Even my 800 lb, highly visible motorcycle is no match for those bad-
> boys. If I have to cross traffic to get into my driveway and I see 2
> tractor trailers coming up behind me, I hit the gas and get out of
> there and go to an intersection or someplace safer to turn. ... and I
> can out accelerate a bicycle.

I can safely time my maneouvers on my bicycle.

> This isn't the case everywhere, but I think that you need to look look
> at the individual situation instead of making such blanket
> statements. The whole world doesn't live in a large city.

Maybe you should ride your motorsickle on the sidewalk,
and be safe from those big, bad truck drivers. And keep
going without stopping until you hit the next town.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Martin Edwards
June 12th 07, 09:49 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Pat > writes:
>
>>> The pedestrians are just minding their own beeswax on /their/
>>> sidewalks. If there's a problem, you're creating it by
>>> introducing a vehicle that doesn't belong in the pedestrians'
>>> realm.
>> I think that whether or not a bike belongs in "the pedestrians' realm"
>> depends on where you are. In a large city with slow traffic, it's
>> probably better in the street.
>
> Okay, I'll allow there are some isolated instances when riding
> on the sidewalk is relatively safer -- *if* it doesn't interfere
> with or endanger pedestrians, and if the rider is heads-up at
> intersections.
>
>> But where I live, it would be MUCH
>> safer on the sidewalk. We have 4 lanes of traffic, no shoulders,
>> granite curbs and traffic going by at 30-45 mph. When 2 tractor
>> trailers with double trailer are going by, side by side, you're best
>> not to be anywhere near them.
>
> So you appear to live somewhere at least civilized enough to
> have sidewalks. But how do people stop at stores there, to do
> some shopping? Or do they have to just keep going until they
> hit the next town, and support /their/ local economy? Living
> on a freeway must be pretty tough. Reminds me of the Steven
> Wright routine where he tries to unlock his front door with
> his car keys. His house starts up. Then he drives it around
> a little, parks it on the freeway, and yells at drivers to get
> the hell off his driveway.
>
>> If you're on a bike, there's no place
>> to go and you are trying to stop a humungous truck in order to avoid a
>> bike. It's real dangerous. Plus any fuel savings from the bike is
>> lost by the TT having to re-accelerate.
>
> Yeah, truck drivers are all out to run people over.
>
>> So using a side street or a sidewalk is the better choice here.
>>
>> Besides, even it there is only 1 truck going by, you are effected by
>> the wind blast.
>
> Trucks are lovely, when you know how to use them. Just stay
> out of their right sides during right turns, and know where
> the blind spots are. Wind blast -- pfffft.

And like that.............
--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management
decisions. -From “Rollerball”

donquijote1954
June 12th 07, 03:28 PM
On Jun 11, 11:24 pm, Bob > wrote:
> On Jun 11, 10:54 am, donquijote1954 >
> wrote:
>

> They squeeze every penny out of the monkey who had some
>
> > drinks, but don't mess with the lion who talks recklessly on the phone
> > and ignores the rules of the road. And what separates the monkey from
> > the lion?
>
> One has a legal blood alcohol level while the other does not.

And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?

donquijote1954
June 12th 07, 03:42 PM
On Jun 12, 1:25 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

> > I think that whether or not a bike belongs in "the pedestrians' realm"
> > depends on where you are. In a large city with slow traffic, it's
> > probably better in the street.
>
> Okay, I'll allow there are some isolated instances when riding
> on the sidewalk is relatively safer -- *if* it doesn't interfere
> with or endanger pedestrians, and if the rider is heads-up at
> intersections.

Obviously, the answer here is to make BIKE LANES, so neither you
endanger pedestrians nor are you endangered by cars.

In the meantime the road is a jungle, and sidewalks are a jungle.

> > Besides, even it there is only 1 truck going by, you are effected by
> > the wind blast.
>
> Trucks are lovely, when you know how to use them. Just stay
> out of their right sides during right turns, and know where
> the blind spots are. Wind blast -- pfffft. I love surfing
> the bow shock waves from the fronts of trucks. There's a
> dodgy spot created by the gap between tractor & trailer, but
> a skilled rider can deal with that.

Much more carnage is caused by SUVs. They are far more and they are
driven without much training or care.

> Maybe you should ride your motorsickle on the sidewalk,
> and be safe from those big, bad truck drivers. And keep
> going without stopping until you hit the next town.

Maybe we should eliminate sidewalks and have one big wide road where
all, semis and pedestrians, SUVs and bicycles, share in peace.

That's after the Armageddon, what the religious right via the
Republican Party is working hard to get, right?

Pat
June 12th 07, 04:28 PM
On Jun 12, 1:25 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article . com>,
> Pat > writes:
>
> >> The pedestrians are just minding their own beeswax on /their/
> >> sidewalks. If there's a problem, you're creating it by
> >> introducing a vehicle that doesn't belong in the pedestrians'
> >> realm.
>
> > I think that whether or not a bike belongs in "the pedestrians' realm"
> > depends on where you are. In a large city with slow traffic, it's
> > probably better in the street.
>
> Okay, I'll allow there are some isolated instances when riding
> on the sidewalk is relatively safer -- *if* it doesn't interfere
> with or endanger pedestrians, and if the rider is heads-up at
> intersections.
>
> > But where I live, it would be MUCH
> > safer on the sidewalk. We have 4 lanes of traffic, no shoulders,
> > granite curbs and traffic going by at 30-45 mph. When 2 tractor
> > trailers with double trailer are going by, side by side, you're best
> > not to be anywhere near them.
>
> So you appear to live somewhere at least civilized enough to
> have sidewalks. But how do people stop at stores there, to do
> some shopping?

They only stop to shop for tax-free gas and cigarettes. And of
course, to go to the casino.

Or do they have to just keep going until they
> hit the next town, and support /their/ local economy? Living
> on a freeway must be pretty tough. Reminds me of the Steven
> Wright routine where he tries to unlock his front door with
> his car keys. His house starts up. Then he drives it around
> a little, parks it on the freeway, and yells at drivers to get
> the hell off his driveway.
>
> > If you're on a bike, there's no place
> > to go and you are trying to stop a humungous truck in order to avoid a
> > bike. It's real dangerous. Plus any fuel savings from the bike is
> > lost by the TT having to re-accelerate.
>
> Yeah, truck drivers are all out to run people over.
>
> > So using a side street or a sidewalk is the better choice here.
>
> > Besides, even it there is only 1 truck going by, you are effected by
> > the wind blast.
>
> Trucks are lovely, when you know how to use them. Just stay
> out of their right sides during right turns, and know where
> the blind spots are. Wind blast -- pfffft. I love surfing
> the bow shock waves from the fronts of trucks. There's a
> dodgy spot created by the gap between tractor & trailer, but
> a skilled rider can deal with that.

Around here, the worse part of trucks on the highway is that they
don't tend to tarp their loads. It's painful to get hit by a #2
crushed stone when it comes off a truck and you're going 70. It's a
heck of a bruise. Stones off of dump trucks and bark off of logging
trucks. Ouch. That's why I always wear a full-face helmet on the
expressway.

> > Even my 800 lb, highly visible motorcycle is no match for those bad-
> > boys. If I have to cross traffic to get into my driveway and I see 2
> > tractor trailers coming up behind me, I hit the gas and get out of
> > there and go to an intersection or someplace safer to turn. ... and I
> > can out accelerate a bicycle.
>
> I can safely time my maneouvers on my bicycle.

If there are 2 TTs coming up behind you and you're turning left to
your (my) driveway but there is traffic coming, there is not
manuevering. I just get the heck of of there as I hit the CB mike and
tell them that there's a motorcycle in front to them and slow down.
Actually, a CB in the headset is a pretty good thing so you can at
least talk to the truckers.

> > This isn't the case everywhere, but I think that you need to look look
> > at the individual situation instead of making such blanket
> > statements. The whole world doesn't live in a large city.
>
> Maybe you should ride your motorsickle on the sidewalk,
> and be safe from those big, bad truck drivers. And keep
> going without stopping until you hit the next town.

Out here, distance is different than for you. 30 miles for you is
probably quite a ways away. Out here, it's how for you go for
shopping. You can get tax-free gas and cigarettes in town; most
groceries (but not off-the-wall stuff); car parts; and we have
pharmacies. Even one place to buy lottery tickets -- no place else
can have them because the other stores are on the Rez, and you can't
sell lottery tickets on the Rez cuz it competes with the Nation.
That's about it. So yeah, you keep going to the next town. There's a
Walmart 20-30 miles in each direction.

But we do have sidewalks. They aren't used too much, but they are
there. They were put in back in the good old days when there were
curbs at the corners (no ADA). I had them lay some blacktop down at
the corners so bikes could go up and down them without having to go
into the street. It worked pretty well. And it kept the kids off of
the street and away from the traffic.

> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Bob
June 13th 07, 01:30 AM
On Jun 12, 9:28 am, donquijote1954 >
wrote:
> On Jun 11, 11:24 pm, Bob > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 11, 10:54 am, donquijote1954 >
> > wrote:
>
> > They squeeze every penny out of the monkey who had some
>
> > > drinks, but don't mess with the lion who talks recklessly on the phone
> > > and ignores the rules of the road. And what separates the monkey from
> > > the lion?
>
> > One has a legal blood alcohol level while the other does not.
>
> And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
> good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
> around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
> first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?

So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
"reasoning"- so much?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

donquijote1954
June 13th 07, 05:57 PM
On Jun 12, 8:30 pm, Bob > wrote:

> > And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
> > good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
> > around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
> > first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?
>
> So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> "reasoning"- so much?

Well, I bet it works along the lines of poverty and ignorance. But DUI
IS THE SCAPEGOAT. Not the reckless soccer mom chatting on the phone of
her supersized SUV (unheard of in Europe), not the driver barreling
down on you right-hand lane (also unheard of in civilized places).
Anything goes but drinking...

"If saving lives on our nations highways is the primary goal of our
legislative and judicial branches of government, then a balanced
approach to obtain that goal would result in the revocation of driving
privileges for speeding violations along with mandatory prison
sentences, hefty fines, safe driving classes, mental evaluations,
community service; we could increase the list ad infinitum.
Incidentally, the courts have embraced a so-called balancing test to
support their rulings on sobriety checkpoints, so it doesnt seem out
of the realm of possibilities to challenge the courts and our
legislators on their unbalanced approach to highway safety related
laws, policies, and punishments directly related to violations of
such. Based on the NHTSA statistics, it is reasonable to expect then
that a speeding driver is an equal threat, or an even greater
immediate threat to public safety than a driver who may have a
measurable amount of alcohol in their system, yet the gap between
punitive response to each is unnerving. Either the DUI laws are
extreme in nature, or the punishment for speeding needs to be
completely revamped.

Obviously, if driving privileges were revoked for first offense
speeders, civil unrest would erupt across the nation."

http://www.duigulag.com/stats.htm

Of course, SUV drivers are above the law because politics in America
is about money, and they got plenty of it.

Dane Buson
June 13th 07, 10:52 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Bob > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 9:28 am, donquijote1954 >
>>
>> And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
>> good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
>> around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
>> first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?
>
> So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> "reasoning"- so much?

Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
does any better on the sidewalk.

--
Dane Buson -
"... except vendor A only speaks German and vendor B hates Brussel sprouts and

donquijote1954
June 14th 07, 09:13 PM
On Jun 13, 5:52 pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Bob > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 12, 9:28 am, donquijote1954 >
>
> >> And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
> >> good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
> >> around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
> >> first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?
>
> > So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> > do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> > "reasoning"- so much?
>
> Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
> logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
> bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
> does any better on the sidewalk.

You think riding the sidewalk places me at odds with your god. You
probably laugh at Jesus riding an ass, right? Yours is a god of waste
and pollution (am I getting too philosophical?)...

http://inkasperu.com/tours/jpg_file...chile/ei085.jpg

I guess we aren't alone in the faith in a god that will get us out of
trouble. Nor are we alone in recklessly destroying the environment...

'In his book "A Short History of Progress", Ronald Wright speculates
that for a generation or so, "there was enough old lumber to haul the
great stones and still keep a few canoes seaworthy for deep water".
When the day came the last boat was gone, wars broke out over "ancient
planks and wormeaten bits of jetsam". The people of Rapa Nui exhausted
all possible resources, including eating their own dogs and all
nesting birds when finally there was absolutely nothing left. All that
was left were the stone giants who symbolized the devouring of a whole
island. The stone giants became monuments where the islanders could
keep faith and honour them in hopes of a return. By the end, there
were more than a thousand moai (stone statues), which was one for
every ten islanders (Wright, 2004). When the Europeans arrived in the
eighteenth century, the worst was over and they only found one or two
living souls per statue.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island

The End is Coming Soon, right?

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

Don Quixotes of the Environment
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote6

__________________
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" -M.L. King

John Mara
June 14th 07, 11:33 PM
donquijote1954 wrote:

> Well, I bet it works along the lines of poverty and ignorance. But DUI
> IS THE SCAPEGOAT. Not the reckless soccer mom chatting on the phone of
> her supersized SUV (unheard of in Europe), not the driver barreling
> down on you right-hand lane (also unheard of in civilized places).
> Anything goes but drinking...

Don't they have supersize SUVs in Europe? I see lots of Mercedes and
BMW SUVs or do they build them just for the US market? Mercedes makes
the Unimog, the most ridiculous SUV of them all.

John Mara

Bob
June 15th 07, 06:55 AM
On Jun 13, 11:57 am, donquijote1954 >
wrote:
> On Jun 12, 8:30 pm, Bob > wrote:
>
> > > And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
> > > good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
> > > around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
> > > first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?
>
> > So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> > do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> > "reasoning"- so much?
>
> Well, I bet it works along the lines of poverty and ignorance.

I've boiled down your longwinded rebuttal of my interpretation of your
"reasoning" as much as possible without paraphrasing it. If I *were*
going to paraphrase, your rebuttal could be accurately summarized in
even fewer words like so:
"Is so!"
You're getting boring again.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob
June 15th 07, 06:58 AM
On Jun 13, 4:52 pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Bob > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 12, 9:28 am, donquijote1954 >
>
> >> And one has plenty of cash (and credit cards) in his pockets to hire
> >> good lawyers, while the other has to switch to riding a bike to get
> >> around after DUI. We may as well have provided him the bike in the
> >> first place, so he can drink without killing others, right?
>
> > So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> > do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> > "reasoning"- so much?
>
> Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
> logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
> bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
> does any better on the sidewalk.

Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

James Robinson
June 15th 07, 03:31 PM
John Mara > wrote:

> donquijote1954 wrote:
>

>> Well, I bet it works along the lines of poverty and ignorance. But DUI
>> IS THE SCAPEGOAT. Not the reckless soccer mom chatting on the phone of
>> her supersized SUV (unheard of in Europe), not the driver barreling
>> down on you right-hand lane (also unheard of in civilized places).
>> Anything goes but drinking...
>
> Don't they have supersize SUVs in Europe? I see lots of Mercedes and
> BMW SUVs or do they build them just for the US market? Mercedes makes
> the Unimog, the most ridiculous SUV of them all.

The Unimog has been built for over 50 years as a commercial vehicle for
fairly utilitarian uses, like plowing snow and moving railroad cars.

I don't think Europe has anything like this:

http://www.sportchassis.com/

(Also a division of Daimler Benz)

As far as large SUVs, cars are generally increasing in size in Europe, but
you really don't want to drive anything very large in a European city.

donquijote1954
June 15th 07, 03:56 PM
On Jun 14, 6:33 pm, John Mara > wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:
>
> > Well, I bet it works along the lines of poverty and ignorance. But DUI
> > IS THE SCAPEGOAT. Not the reckless soccer mom chatting on the phone of
> > her supersized SUV (unheard of in Europe), not the driver barreling
> > down on you right-hand lane (also unheard of in civilized places).
> > Anything goes but drinking...
>
> Don't they have supersize SUVs in Europe? I see lots of Mercedes and
> BMW SUVs or do they build them just for the US market? Mercedes makes
> the Unimog, the most ridiculous SUV of them all.
>
> John Mara

They may be stupid and ugly but not supersized. They specialize more
in SMART VEHICLES...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9267b/cmd.233/embedded..ee92679

donquijote1954
June 15th 07, 04:19 PM
On Jun 15, 1:58 am, Bob > wrote:

> > > So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
> > > do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
> > > "reasoning"- so much?
>
> > Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
> > logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
> > bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
> > does any better on the sidewalk.
>
> Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus.

You don't understand I speak in parables. When I say, "I ride an ass
too," I'm actually saying I ride a bike which is equivalent to riding
a four-legged animal.

Actually I own an ass and a horse... Well, the ass is the new 3 speed
bike with the baskets. It's slow but it's the beast of burden I ride
on sidewalks. And the horse... being the mountain bike, which is much
faster but hardly usable in the real world of the roads. You know,
when in Rome do as the Romans, and they are riding threatening SUVs.
Only hope is the end of the Roman Empire, and the coming of the
barbarians --and the Dark Ages...

Why aren't better ways to end an empire??? Like people saying, "What
is this stupid empire good for?" and dismantling the whole thing, and
bring peace and prosperity, and stop wanting to control the world.
Well, the USSR kind of finished like that but it was taking over by
the mafia. The hope remains though...

(Did I sound like preaching?)

Colin Nelson
June 15th 07, 08:11 PM
"donquijote1954" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > > Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort
of
> > > logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
> > > bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine
he
> > > does any better on the sidewalk.
> >
> > Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus.
>
> You don't understand I speak in parables. When I say, "I ride an ass
> too," I'm actually saying I ride a bike which is equivalent to riding
> a four-legged animal.
>
> Actually I own an ass and a horse... Well, the ass is the new 3 speed
> bike with the baskets. It's slow but it's the beast of burden I ride
> on sidewalks. And the horse... being the mountain bike, which is much
> faster but hardly usable in the real world of the roads. You know,
> when in Rome do as the Romans, and they are riding threatening SUVs.
> Only hope is the end of the Roman Empire, and the coming of the
> barbarians --and the Dark Ages...
>
> Why aren't better ways to end an empire??? Like people saying, "What
> is this stupid empire good for?" and dismantling the whole thing, and
> bring peace and prosperity, and stop wanting to control the world.
> Well, the USSR kind of finished like that but it was taking over by
> the mafia. The hope remains though...
>
> (Did I sound like preaching?)

Well ... Now that you mention it - You are sounding a bit like St Ed Doldrum
(of the Miseries).
Do try to cheer up a bit - It can`t be as bad as it sounds.

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Dane Buson
June 15th 07, 09:55 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc donquijote1954 > wrote:
> On Jun 13, 5:52 pm, Dane Buson > wrote:
>> In rec.bicycles.misc Bob > wrote:
>>
>> > So we can send him out into the jungle you're afraid to ride in? Why
>> > do you hate poor people- only poor people get DUIs in your
>> > "reasoning"- so much?
>>
>> Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
>> logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
>> bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
>> does any better on the sidewalk.
>
> You think riding the sidewalk places me at odds with your god. You
> probably laugh at Jesus riding an ass, right? Yours is a god of waste
> and pollution (am I getting too philosophical?)...

Err, you realize that I'm an avid cyclist? That I probably use less gas than
you do since I commute to work by bike and shop by bike?

Rather than saying, "Everyone hates my message!", perhaps you should ask
"Why am I ineffective in talking to people?"

My problem with sidewalk riding is it's *stupid*. Either you go walking
pace, in which case you might as well walk, or you go bike speed and
you're a hazard to yourself and others.

It's not *wrong*, it's *dumb*. D. U. M. B.

--
Dane Buson -
You cannot run Windows innocently. Guilt of aiding & abetting, at the

Bob
June 16th 07, 05:06 AM
On Jun 15, 10:19 am, donquijote1954 >
wrote:

> > > Oh Bob, it's kind of cruel. You know he's ill equipped for any sort of
> > > logical debate. The poor boy is evidently so ill coordinated he can't
> > > bike down the street without veering into harms way. I can't imagine he
> > > does any better on the sidewalk.
>
> > Read on. Now he's comparing himself to Jesus.
>
> You don't understand I speak in parables.

You're mistaken because everyone here understands that you're
attempting to speak in parables. You just have no gift for parables.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

donquijote1954
June 17th 07, 09:29 PM
On Jun 15, 3:11 pm, "Colin Nelson" > wrote:

> > Why aren't better ways to end an empire??? Like people saying, "What
> > is this stupid empire good for?" and dismantling the whole thing, and
> > bring peace and prosperity, and stop wanting to control the world.
> > Well, the USSR kind of finished like that but it was taking over by
> > the mafia. The hope remains though...
>
> > (Did I sound like preaching?)
>
> Well ... Now that you mention it - You are sounding a bit like St Ed Doldrum
> (of the Miseries).
> Do try to cheer up a bit - It can`t be as bad as it sounds.

Playing god is always depressing, that's why I avoid it as much as
possible.

The promise of Armageddon is his, or at least it's in the Bible, or
just that his followers make it plausible by launching war and driving
SUVs.

"I am plenty safe enough in his hands; I am not in any danger from
that kind of a Diety. The one that I want to keep out of the reach of,
is the caricature of him which one finds in the Bible. We (that one
and I) could never respect each other, never get along together. I
have met his superior a hundred times-- in fact I amount to that
myself." -Mark Twain

donquijote1954
June 17th 07, 10:27 PM
On Jun 16, 12:06 am, Bob > wrote:

> > You don't understand I speak in parables.
>
> You're mistaken because everyone here understands that you're
> attempting to speak in parables. You just have no gift for parables.

OK, let me do some serious attempt at it. Sorry if I copy a little so
I can learn...

The Parable of
The Rich Man & Lazarus
Luke 16:19-31 "Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in
purple and fine linen, DRIVING AN SUV every day. A certain BIKER,
named Lazarus, was RIDING HIS BIKE ON WHATEVER SPACE OF ROAD WAS LEFT.
Yes, even the dogs PEED ON HIS BIKE. It happened that the BIKER died,
and that he was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The
rich man also died, and was buried. In Hades, he lifted up his eyes,
being in torment, and saw Abraham far off, and Lazarus at his bosom.
He cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send
Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my
tongue! For I am in anguish in this flame.'

"But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you, in your lifetime, received
your good things, and Lazarus, in like manner, bad things. But now
here he is comforted and you are in anguish. Besides all this, between
us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that those who want to pass
from here to you are not able, and that none may cross over from there
to us.'

"But Abraham said to him,
'YOUR STUPID SUV CAUSED POLLUTION AND TERROR IN LIFE, SO NOW YOU WILL
ROT IN HELL. THREE CONSECUTIVE LIFE TERMS --AND SOME WHIPPING TO
BOOT.'

donquijote1954
June 19th 07, 03:49 PM
(and cyclists are victims of it too)

On Jun 18, 11:19 pm, BrianNZ > wrote:

> Is it really that bad... do you see a road rager on the road every day?

Take it from me, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROAD RAGE IN AMERICA, and I admit
to having done it yesterday (shame on me, and on the stupid guy, of
course)...

I joined the long line of vehicles that were waiting to pass this
bridge under construction, when I noticed that many vehicles from the
other lanes were cheating the line, and decided NOT to let anyone in
front of me. In order to do that I kept a distance of no greater than
2 feet from the front of car. Then at the last minute someone just
forced his way in, giving me the choice to crash into him or give in
in ultimate defeat. Well, I gave in, but not before giving him the
finger, yes, the finger! You know, usually those things are arranged
around here (the city with the most road rage) with the guy pulling a
gun on me, and you know the rest, another piece of sensationalism for
the 6 o'clock news...

Luckily though the guy was cowering in his seat, and I felt somewhat
proud of my machism. Well, I was also wondering when the authorities
will pay any attention to all these so-common infractions of the law.
But then the accident industry (think of the lawyers, towing companies
and the doctors) may see a reduction in income. Like I said, "it's all
about money."

donquijote1954
June 21st 07, 04:38 PM
--We are in a permanent state of road rage. It's part of our Karma. --

I guess at that point you can only do two things: 1- Follow the Dalai
Lama and smile at the aggressor, or 2- Get an SUV yourself and pack a
gun in it.

I'd recommend the correct way (#1), but many people don't have the
patience to deal with meditation and nonviolence. These usually are
Republicans and members of the NRA.

donquijote1954
June 22nd 07, 04:23 PM
OK, if Tanzania can learn from this, why not America? Maybe we are too
arrogant for that. Or maybe it's just that "those that can change the
system, won't" because they already feel safe in their SUVs; and
"those who want to change the system, can't" because they got a little
voice, like children and cyclists...

"Particular attention is being paid to children and cyclists
(vulnerable road users) who deserve to feel safe in traffic."

Exporting knowledge
Despite increasing traffic in Denmark, the Danes have managed to keep
the number of accidents down due to road improvements, sensible
driving campaigns and good relationships between the police and the
road authorities.

This experience will now be exported to other countries such as
Tanzania, Benin, Serbia, Hungary, Iran and Bahrain.

Many other EU countries are now focusing on the way drivers react.
Holland, for example, is basing its efforts on the principle of
"sustainable safety", which targets the behavioural factor, and so has
introduced speed limits and directional control systems. Today there
are 30 km zones on half of the roads in cities. In other countries the
speed limits are automatically lowered in poor visibility conditions,
such as fog or heavy rain.

Focus on children
Great Britain and Northern Ireland have formulated a number of
recommendations for initiatives that are designed to affect the way
drivers behave. These include education programmes, law enforcement
and information campaigns. Particular attention is being paid to
children and cyclists (vulnerable road users) who deserve to feel safe
in traffic.

The Germans believe that a combined effort between the authorities and
road users will improve road safety.

A healthy road culture breeds responsible road users who show each
other respect and take special care around light road users.

http://www.cowi.com/cowi/en/menu/news/trendsandissuesarchive/trafficsafety/behaviourwillimprovetrafficsafety/

donquijote1954
June 26th 07, 04:07 PM
--Apparently wolves like to drive Hondas, and my Suburban is NOT even
on the list..--

I don't think that nowdays a vehicle's insurance premium is related to
its predatory ways. Well, it should be, but they got too much money,
and thus too much political power to let that happen.

A wolf can drive a Honda or a Hummer, but the latter gives him REAL
TEETH. In other words, the Big Fish runs the show...

http://www.joryjohn.com/waterville/big/suv-fishII.jpg

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home